The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Think I'd like a Vsynth? Maybe?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 View Post
Most of the time it's just single samples when I use the V-Synth. I tried messing around with making a pseudo-multisampled patch but in the end it wasn't really worth the effort and life is too short...at that point it's just faster to fire up Sampler in Live or whatever.
I mainly use an EX7 for multisamples, it's quite similar to the Vsynth with it's per voice effects.

I'm very quick on it now
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's Kurt playing a flash drive?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

He's playing and mangling his samples...ok nevermind
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
And you were able to demo the V-Synth properly in that "shop," loading/bringing your own samples, testing out its mangling capabilities, etc.?
No, I was only able to use what was loaded into it, but I imagine Roland picked good sources. I'm not anti Roland. I quite like a lot of their synths. Every now and then I'll check out demos, after a thread like this, and I'm never surprised in any way. It always sounds like that Roland Variphrase, or a decent VA, or combination of those things. I wouldn't mind the rack version if it came down to about $400.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstation View Post
He's playing and mangling his samples...ok nevermind
Haha Nevermind!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I think it'd be cool if you liked the V synth so much you got a tattoo of it's logo on a butt cheek. Opposite side should have an FS1R in bold font to show your Yamaha roots.
I would, but I already got Roland MC-303 and Yamaha DJ-X there.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
No, I was only able to use what was loaded into it, but I imagine Roland picked good sources. I'm not anti Roland. I quite like a lot of their synths. Every now and then I'll check out demos, after a thread like this, and I'm never surprised in any way. It always sounds like that Roland Variphrase, or a decent VA, or combination of those things. I wouldn't mind the rack version if it came down to about $400.
I get the impression that the v-synth is like the 303.. it excels at something OTHER than what the manufacturer intended.

The stock sounds on the v-synth never did anything for me.. when it was new and I played with it, I was completely underwhelmed. When I heard what Cevin Key was doing with it on vocals - I was very, very interested.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I get the impression that the v-synth is like the 303.. it excels at something OTHER than what the manufacturer intended.

The stock sounds on the v-synth never did anything for me.. when it was new and I played with it, I was completely underwhelmed. When I heard what Cevin Key was doing with it on vocals - I was very, very interested.
I dunno, the Da V Code preset (number 001) really impressed me! I'm imagining putting my own monophonic vocal lines in there and doing the same thing.

My wife likes creepy monk chanting soundtracky stuff and dug it too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Yes Cevin Key used it live with Skinny Puppy the last 10 years. He also had a Sub 37 when I saw them a couple a months ago..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post

I'd love to have my mind changed, I've just never found a demo that really grabbed me. Link?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I'd love to have my mind changed, I've just never found a demo that really grabbed me. Link?
I totally understand. So many demo's are not to my taste either...

Here is a vid with some programmed sounds that are also available for free...

I still don't like it that much
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I guess with any sampler you're not gonna dig demos unless they're your kind of samples.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

These are pure patches. Not clear if the previous guy had added any new samples...

If you like the sample mangling side of the V Synth, it is probably worth a check...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post

These are pure patches. Not clear if the previous guy had added any new samples...

If you like the sample mangling side of the V Synth, it is probably worth a check...
Anyway of screwing with samples is my favourite thing, I've got the EX7 for FDSP on samples, 01w for waveshaping, FZ1 for hybrid dirty samples, some eurorack and now I want a v synth and EPS16+

I also have a circuit bent REX 50 to run it all through on the other side!
Old 1 week ago
I think it may be time for Roland to make a new V-Synth, no? Modernize it a bit, with a proper touch screen for sample and wavetable manipulation...yes?

Boutique V-Synth pehaps?????

.....kidding.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
I think it may be time for Roland to make a new V-Synth, no? Modernize it a bit, with a proper touch screen for sample and wavetable manipulation...yes?

Boutique V-Synth pehaps?????

.....kidding.
A finger sized time trip pad
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I guess with any sampler you're not gonna dig demos unless they're your kind of samples.
It's not so much the sound or the type of the samples that I'm talking about. It's that Variphrase artifact laden sound. It's always there a bit. Sometimes, that kind of artifacting can be really nice. The algorithm on the old Electrix Repeater was awesome. I'd do a loop at 160 BPM and then slow it down to something as low as... maybe 20 BPM? Maybe 40. It was pretty low. It would maintain the pitch but slow down time and I loved the crazy sound of it. The same thing done in the Varipharasing... maybe it's too... pleasant or something? It's like some weird uncanny valley, where it's not as good as slowing down an analog medium like tape or vinyl, but not as oddly digital as you think it would be.

Anyway, it's just like, my opinion, man.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that Variphrase needs super basic (non modulated, non processed, pure source) waveforms to do its proper job, if you put a modulated or processed sample, it will sound more distorted (more V-Synth artifact tone). I recommend some basic soundfont conversions or basic raw samples to tinker with.

Also perfects loops have to be made inside V-Synth so don't try to get perfect loops loaded before, you'll be disappointed. Some people check the sample number to get the loop perfect on V-Synth, YMMV. It might too old school for some, but I like the results. For me it's my only sampler, and as a keyboard sampler it's good enough for me

Some tips from Roland themselves

https://www.rolandus.com/go/v-synth/...ips/index.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

well I suppose I would say, that it's always been my go to synth for performing realtime polyphonic exorcisms.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinoCan View Post
Keep in mind that Variphrase needs super basic (non modulated, non processed, pure source) waveforms to do its proper job, if you put a modulated or processed sample, it will sound more distorted (more V-Synth artifact tone). I recommend some basic soundfont conversions or basic raw samples to tinker with.

Also perfects loops have to be made inside V-Synth so don't try to get perfect loops loaded before, you'll be disappointed. Some people check the sample number to get the loop perfect on V-Synth, YMMV. It might too old school for some, but I like the results. For me it's my only sampler, and as a keyboard sampler it's good enough for me

Some tips from Roland themselves

https://www.rolandus.com/go/v-synth/...ips/index.html
There's a weird little "close" button on that pages that oddly shuts down my phones browser, lol, old HTML feature?

I've never been shy of going old-school with hardware and the Vsynth sounds pretty straightforward, certainly better than my FZ1.

One thing I haven't worked out yet is, how many MB for the samples in the Vsynth, 60MB? Do you need to re-write over the factory samples to access that space?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
well I suppose I would say, that it's always been my go to synth for performing realtime polyphonic exorcisms.
How about symphonic phantasms?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
One thing I haven't worked out yet is, how many MB for the samples in the Vsynth, 60MB? Do you need to re-write over the factory samples to access that space?
Yes, and yes, I think.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I love the vocal processor card.

The D-50 sound is awful to my ears but then I thought that about the original.

For digital pads and stuff the V-synth is good. I paid £400 for it earlier this year with both cards.

I definitely wouldn't have paid much more. Stuff like Iris and Padshop Pro do a better job.

V-Synth is probably the best vocoder out there. However, the fact it's big and heavy and cumbersome to use has really relegated it for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I love the vocal processor card.

The D-50 sound is awful to my ears but then I thought that about the original.

For digital pads and stuff the V-synth is good. I paid £400 for it earlier this year with both cards.

I definitely wouldn't have paid much more. Stuff like Iris and Padshop Pro do a better job.

V-Synth is probably the best vocoder out there. However, the fact it's big and heavy and cumbersome to use has really relegated it for me.
That's an insane deal! Usually it's £600ish with no cards!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Wave memory (RAM): 50 MB (When the unit ships from the factory, 32 MB of this is taken up by the preset waves.)"

https://www.roland.com/global/produc...pecifications/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
How about symphonic phantasms?
it is a good, you hum it and I'll play it synth. so as long as you can produce a convincing phantogasm, you should ok.

if you start them up while holding exit, it will load empty. then save that empty project to an SD card and you are working on an empty project and it should start up from it. it may also be handshaking with the card as you edit. so in that mode it will be a little slower to save patches. but not by much.

when you do that load empty and save routine though, you had better have already saved the internals if you have edited anything. getting back to factory is just a case of loading the internal memory project. which is always available.
I usually try to figure out all the load save routines as early as possible. and test them out with external memory.
not knowing that can often cost you a bad mistake.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
it is a good, you hum it and I'll play it synth. so as long as you can produce a convincing phantogasm, you should ok.

if you start them up while holding exit, it will load empty. then save that empty project to an SD card and you are working on an empty project and it should start up from it. it may also be handshaking with the card as you edit. so in that mode it will be a little slower to save patches. but not by much.

when you do that load empty and save routine though, you had better have already saved the internals if you have edited anything. getting back to factory is just a case of loading the internal memory project. which is always available.
I usually try to figure out all the load save routines as early as possible. and test them out with external memory.
not knowing that can often cost you a bad mistake.
It sounds workable, certainly better than many old DOS saving routines!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It sounds workable, certainly better than many old DOS saving routines!
it's pretty good all in all. not far off the Kurzweil and the Kurzweil was probably the best disk operating system I've seen. there's a benefit of clarity, to be able to pull a few things into an empty system. you can pull a few patches in from other projects and then start copying elements out of one patch into a new empty patch.

by using certain ways of going about it, you can co write an edit to the internal user memory space at the same time as it updating the external media. if you go about it in a different way, the edits are only saved internally. so you have to know exactly what is going to happen and the best way is to test it all via an empty project as early as possible.

it seems to me that a project on an SD card can hold more sample data than you can get in the internal memory space. this behaviour is confirmed when you hit a condition where you can't load a whole project because you don't have the available internal RAM. so something I have yet to test is having a single test patch in a single project, which has more sample RAM on the SD project than can be loaded into available RAM. because if it still plays the samples, it could be only utilising the SD RAM in order to do so.

it's a curious behaviour I haven't fully got to the bottom of yet. but Empty projects loaded from SD are a good place to start. you could for example, use disk tools, which is under (Disk) in the system page, direct the OS to the card and then select a project or any component within a project and then copy, move or delete. that's one type of operation and thats just looking at the card. you probably have to be careful when looking into the internal project because a delete is not something I'd want to even try on any of that data. especially when dealing with it on an XT. because you can see the data there for the other two engines.

so I'd spend some time testing the behaviours. it's kinda tedious but I always do that first on equipment. Roland manuals are never any kind of in depth operational manuals. they tend to be a sort of loose operational and technical affair and can often miss explaining a lot of behaviours to any depth at all. but there's quite a bit going on in these synths. amazing they even pulled it off.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgek8d View Post
i think it may be time for roland to make a new v-synth, no? Modernize it a bit, with a proper touch screen for sample and wavetable manipulation...yes?

Boutique v-synth pehaps?????

.....kidding.
they need to make a new vsynth with aira models instead of the cosm ones and regular sampling as well as vari
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search