The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Diva vs Analogue Hits - The Test
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Guru

Diva vs Analogue Hits - The Test

Here is another hopefully fun test for you all based on sounds taken from a new soundpack - 'Analogue Hits'...some of you may remember my tests of Diva vs the OB8...where I started with the idea it wasn’t that close...but slightly proved myself wrong…and it generated a bit of discussion!

In this test I’ve compared Diva plus my own programming drums, with full track clips...tracks which you could call ‘hit’ tracks when it comes to electronic music...maybe I am mad to try to replicate them using Diva and Ableton Live and directly compare to them...but did I embarrass myself?!

You may or may not know the tracks, but have a stab to see if you can guess which A or B in these 8 examples is the original and which is my version...I hope it is an interesting and fun test...hopefully it is not too easy...
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Man this sounds really awesome.
Great job!
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Great tune to start out on, I swore at you so bad when you stopped short of the drums though you baaaaarrrsssstaaaarrrrrrd

Not guessing, couldn't care less as they all sounded great.

Part 1 of track 1 sounded better to me though, the rest didn't seem to show any much difference worthy of major discussion except Part 1 of mr fingers certainly sounded better and more rounded and way better bass too.

Good luck with the sales, good job
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Diva would end my PC so I'll never know how good it is until I get a new one, when earth freezes over probably

Listening to your YT demo now swan808, thanks for the post PhilipNL. wow.
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Diva would end my PC so I'll never know how good it is until I get a new one, when earth freezes over probably

Listening to your YT demo now swan808, thanks for the post PhilipNL. wow.
haha thanks Jamie...yes you get some drums there......honestly Diva in draft mode is still pretty nice I sometimes prefer it lol...
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear
i picked based on preference, some i could've taken either.
they all sounded really good, thx for posting, that was fun.
good way to start the day, wish i could've listened to them at full volume
1A - preferred
1B -

2A - preferred
2B -

3A - preferred
3B -

4A - preferred
4B - close

5A - close
5B - preferred

6A - close
6B - preferred

7A -
7B - preferred

8A - preferred
8B -
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know about original vs cover, but I preferred:

1B
2: I am so sick of this song/sample that I can't comment as I skipped it
3A
4A
5A
6A
7A
8A

Great stuff!

Not sure what it can really tell us about the synths as these are whole 'productions', but it was fun! A couple I had a clear favourite, but in the last half of them it was very close.

Ed
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Is one of these a hardware remake and one a remake with soft synths? I *think* 1b and 3a were the hardware versions, at least they sound closer than 1a and 3b - in whatever case, compared to 256 aac versions of the originals there's definitely something a bit grainy all over and lacking punch in the low end, which means we're really not comparing like for like in terms of sound quality - not sure if that's vimeo's compression, or something in the mastering you've done. Musically, really close though, great effort.

In terms of preference I went 1b, 2b, 3a, 4b, 5a, 6b, 7b, 8b
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Link to uncompressed audio on some free host ?
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
maybe I am mad to try to replicate them using Diva and Ableton Live and directly compare to them...but did I embarrass myself?!
Emulating a simple patch dry with a different synth is hard enough, but replicating the whole production is nearly impossible even if you have the same equipment.
So no embarassment on you.
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Emulating a simple patch dry with a different synth is hard enough, but replicating the whole production is nearly impossible even if you have the same equipment.
So no embarassment on you.
thanks yeah it's another ball game to include drums and mix it in a way thats similar...the actual synth sounds was the easier part...and I didnt use any saturators or colouring on the Diva examples...Diva only and a bit of sidechain compression and EQ usually...
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Very impressive.
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 View Post
Very impressive.
thanks Nigel!

Any guesses?
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks Nigel!

Any guesses?
Sure, I'll throw my hat in the ring when. I get a break from work.

Great work tho!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Before this devolved into a HW v SW thread I would like to add that I have no skin in the game either way and really dig hybrid setups.

If I'm working, SW and samples are a great way to go. Having full recall is fxxking AMAZING. For mucking around there's nothing like banging something out in a bunch of old boxes - and what I think gets lost in the HW / SW argument is that some old gear - SP1200, top tier synths etc sound fantastic and are inspiring to use in a man v machine sense. The pysical connection is cool in itself.

When software setups can sound as convincing as your test case, wow - we're all winning.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Damn that test lol, your programming of vintage presets is stellar , is the preset pack ready for purchase?

Also a bit of a request of synth sounds of old/late 70's-80's funk and Rnb bands ie: Kool & the Gang "Summer Madness" Solo sound, Prince Synth Sounds, Gap Band basses, Parliament synths and basses,The System,Alexander O'neal,Cherrelle "I didn't mean to turn you on",The Time,Kashif basses,etc....
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

They all sound pretty close to my abused ears. It's really just preference of one over the other for whatever reason. Openness of the mix etc.

Here's my wild guesses...

1. A diva
2. A diva
3. B diva
4. B diva
5. A diva
6. A diva
7. B diva
8. B diva
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Great stuff. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Here are my thoughts:

1A preferred
2A preferred
3B preferred
4B preferred
5A preferred
6A preferred as it had a better feel but 6B had a better balance/mix
7A preferred as it had a better feel but 7B had a better balance/mix
8B preferred as it had a better feel but 8A had a better balance/mix

Those are just my thoughts. To me the ones that had a better balance/mix sounded more current and therefore ITB. The ones that had a better "feel" sounded a little less polished and a touch more organic.

My Guesses:
1 too close
2 Diva is A
3 Diva is B
4 too close
5 Diva is A
6 Diva is A
7 Diva is B
8 Diva is A

I am curious to see the results. Thanks again!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Ha... might have got yourself a sale here

EDIT: bought. cheers!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Nice demos! I'll take a crack on it. I'm away for a wedding and all I have are some decent earbuds, but what the hell? That's what people listen to music on these days anyway, right?

1 analog A, Diva B
2 Analog A, Diva B
3 Analog A, Diva B
4 Diva A, Analog B
5 Diva A, Analog B
6 Diva A, Analog B
7 Diva A, Analog B
8 Analog A, Diva B

I heard a difference on all of them, but I will fully admit that some were a lot easier to hear a different than others. For example in the first three examples I was really confident and made an instant choice. The A versions of those sounded much more open, where the B versions sounded a bit more truncated. Around example 4, I didn't hear as much of that as I had initially.

My take on using a synth like Diva for music like that is, you'll get a pretty good result. Sometimes indistinguishable from hardware, but mostly hardware is going to give you a bit more depth and nuance. If you start getting more aggressive, the results can be very different and hardware will win pretty easily. For me, Diva's value is in doing things with the modulation that do not exist on any analog synth. Well, none that I'm aware of. Like getting a weird stepped LFO sequence by quantizing a sine wave.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

BTW I am not going to participate, because it is possible to "cheat" on this test.
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
BTW I am not going to participate, because it is possible to "cheat" on this test.
haha come on don't you trust yourself?!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

This kindof thing as well as the endless foolishness of the HW vs SW threads completely misses the point. It casts music making into some ROI cost-benefit analysis as if it is just another market for dystopian capitalists to plunder until it all blows up in our collective face. Same with Uli Satanger and his 'do the same thing cheaper and own the market' scheme. Its like a cancer not a flower.

Abstract it for a second: Imagine you had a piece of software that could do a violin perfectly - 100% perfectly. No one could tell the difference. Would that kill the violin? Maybe but probably not, at least not for a long while (until all the violinists had died off). In the meantime BOTH would have value. The violin would be portable, not require a computer, and OBVIOUSLY would be preferable to someone who had spent decades getting good at operating it. The software would also be useful. People who could not play violin would be able to program things that did just what they might imagine would sound good in music. They could program crazy things no live violinist could ever play. Viva la difference - what a wonderful world where we have both. Why would anyone even care about same / better / different. The act of comparison is meaningless.

I completely reject this ROI cost-benefit nihilistic dystopian capitalism-sucking-all-the-life-and-soul-out-of-music type of analysis. This sort of OCD comparison of split hairs is for non-musicians. NON-MUSICIANS. This seems to be the biggest problem with the 'digital revolution' - all the people completely obsessed with missing the point. I got into music because I love music. Still do. I love making sounds with gadgets that make sound: acoustic, electric, electronic, virtual, ITB - bring it on. Fun fun fun (art).

Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha come on don't you trust yourself?!
I know some of these songs...
Which gives me an advantage, i don't like uneven playing fields.
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I know some of these songs...
Which gives me an advantage, i don't like uneven playing fields.
cool! no harm in showing off ...
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Nut

Here's my guess at these, probably all wrong!

1B Diva
2B Diva
3A Diva
4B Diva
5A Diva
6B Diva
7A Diva
8A Diva
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Sweet programming!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

I'm on ear buds so I'm not even going to try to guess until I get to a better place to listen but damn nice programming!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't cheat then - I didn't. Sure, we can compare the files to the original tracks no doubt!

Last edited by Nigel99; 11th August 2017 at 11:55 PM..
Old 12th August 2017
digital ears love analog

On 5A it sounds like you did not get the pitch envelope on the bass right... I can tell that 5A is the real version
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search