The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1st synth recommendation?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

1st synth recommendation?

I've toyed with an ensoniq keyboard sampler for years, and currently going through about 200 floppy disks of sounds from the early 90s, which is quite fun, but the machine itself doesn't lend to adjusting parameters easily, and i'm ready to sculpt my own sounds - so looking to get an actual synth for once.

played around in a buddies studio with a mininova recently, which was a lot of fun, but I found a lot of the presets rather plastic and cheesy. otherwise it seems like a nice machine. did a bit of research and seems the minilogue also comes highly recommended.

so far, only considering these two. any others you might suggest? pros and cons between the two? any other advice? definitely trying to keep it under $500, if not $300...

thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Budget not big enough for good quality hardware. (IMHO).
But if you must have it now and if you are ok with just 4 note polyphony and a small keyboard (you could probably drive it with your SQ), then go for the Minilogue.
It has a bit "funky" envelopes that click over a pretty wide range of attack parameter knob, some people seem to like it this way though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Go maschine second hand if you have a PC/Mac.
ensure it has v2 software license and i think that is a great buy.

Pros:

Lots of sounds
Free Massive
Sampler
Superb for putting ideas down quickly.
Load in VST plugins into it - filters etc.
V2.5 software is really very very good.
Play VST synths.
Sell it on for little loss.
USB powered hardware.

Cons
No keyboard
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiller View Post
Go maschine second hand if you have a PC/Mac.
ensure it has v2 software license and i think that is a great buy.
I had that, hated it, sold it a while ago. felt the magic in my buddies studio, looking for a fully hardware synth now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleWave View Post
I had that, hated it, sold it a while ago. felt the magic in my buddies studio, looking for a fully hardware synth now.
fair enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A good second hand VA like Roland JP8000, Clavia Nordlead, Korg MS2000 or Yamaha AN1X
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Get an Ultranova instead of the Mininova.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
Get an Ultranova instead of the Mininova.
why the ultranova? it looks a bit pricey for my budget.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They're a steal used. Got mine for $250 in mint condition. Same engine pretty much as the mininova, but with full keys and a much better interface
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If we are recommending hardware virtuals, then why not just a good MIDI controller keyboard plus few of the best software virtuals ?

Pretty sure the Nova can't touch Diva on sound quality and closeness to the old analogs and Zebra on versatility.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
They're a steal used. Got mine for $250 in mint condition. Same engine pretty much as the mininova, but with full keys and a much better interface
i guess i have my Ensoniq for full keys which i can link to the nova. so smaller keys would be great for portability in live setups.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
If we are recommending hardware virtuals, then why not just a good MIDI controller keyboard plus few of the best software virtuals ?

Pretty sure the Nova can't touch Diva on sound quality and closeness to the old analogs and Zebra on versatility.
i had the NI maschine for a while but i just didn't like working with a computer. had a 9 hour jam session in a friends studio with hardware, and it was a revelation.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post

I would recommend a good interfaced VA.

Nord Lead 2/2X: Programming doesn't need menus, only controller adjustment expression etc. and unison detune needs a little menu diving) Super easy to split and layer if you get keyboard version. Portable too (4.5 kg)

NL2 has 24 knobs for control, I didn't see a MIDI keyboard bundle like that (except BCR2000 support etc.)

I can't recommend the power of user interface enough, my friend bought and sold many synths, only to realize that he needed one with a good interface.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

to be totally honest--get either a MiniBrute or Microbrute, depending on your budget.

Why? because essentially every adjustable parameter on either 'Brute is isometrically 1:1 with a knob or slider.

IMO this is the absolute best way to learn this type of synthesis (classic subtractive synthesis).

No presets, no "menu-diving" to find specific parameters to adjust; everything you need to shape sound from raw electrical voltage is right at your fingertips as a knob or slider. you'd have real-time control over every parameter of a basic subtractive synth.

good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

the other synth that comes to mind is the Korg minilogue or monologue. I don't have first hand experience with either, but either would be perfect for your needs, i think.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ultranova for the excellent keybed and better UI. Otherwise mininova and ultranova are basically the same synth. At that budget I would have a look at Roland JDXI. I think it's the best small factor synth/groove box atm. Sounds really big, UI is OK, drums are usable, sequencer is very intuitive and you get a decent monosynth in the same footprint as the mininova
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The mini or microbrute might be one knob per function. Soundwise I think they're cheap, harsh, cold and not musically to the ears for my taste.
And while the one knob per function is great, it's not always a problem having a synth that goes deeper as long as the most important features are on the front panel I think.

Also those are mono synths, I'm guessing most people want a poly synth as their first synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleWave View Post
i had the NI maschine for a while but i just didn't like working with a computer. had a 9 hour jam session in a friends studio with hardware, and it was a revelation.
You set up this controller with your favorite VSTi once and then you will never have to touch the mouse again:
https://www.music-group.com/Categori...CR2000/p/P0245
And you can jam even for 10 hours as if it was all hardware.
A good example of them being used just like that:
https://digitaldj.files.wordpress.co...ft_pyramid.jpg
But then... A keyboard controller plus the BCR would eat your whole budget...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Deep mind 12- fantastic first synth
Old 1 week ago
In no particular order. The ones with a * in front are the ones I'd recommend personally.

Polyphonic with keys:
*Korg Minilogue (Great sound, excellent allrounder, 1:1 interface, flexible, nice mini-keys)
*Yamaha Reface CS (Fast, simple, fun, robust and nice mini-keys)
Roland System-1 (Comparable to the Minilogue, just doesn't sound or feel as nice imho, but worth a look, crap keys)
Novation Ultranova (Very flexible and capable allrounder, good matrix/menu editing but not nearly as nice as a 1:1 interface, nice keys)
If you can find a cheap 2nd hand MicroKorg it's not bad at all, but the other synths are generally better, so it has to be cheap. (pretty good matrix editing, fairly flexible)
*It might be out of your budget, but a 2nd hand Waldorf Blofeld keys. (nice screen-supported matrix editing, very flexible and capable allrounder, nice sound, great keys)

Polyphonic modules:
*Waldorf Blofeld (same as the keys version, just without keys)
Roland Boutiques (simple, good sound, portable, small but good interfaces)

Monophonic with keys:
*Novation BassStation 2 (flexible and good sound, good interface and keys)
Korg Monologue (great sound, nice mini-keys)

Monophonic modules:
Waldorf Pulse 2 (flexible, pretty good matrix editing)
*Dreadbox Erebus/nyx (great sound, 1:1 interface)
Vermona Mono Lancet (great sound, 1:1 interface)
Doepfer Dark Energy (great sound, 1:1 interface)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Reface cs, minilogue, deepmind 6 depending on budget.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

SAVE some more money and GO FOR IT with a fully featured, modern analog VCO synth, like the MatrixBrute (or a Sub-37 as a 2nd choice).

Your revelation isn't going away, it's just going to expand further, guaranteed. And, generally speaking, you get what you pay for with analog hardware.

Instead of rushing in for a cheaper (just ok) synth that you will outgrow in a few months, be patient and get a real modern classic that WILL stand the test of time, while providing you with YEARS of musical sounds, just awaiting your inspiration.

Be very selective and patient is my advise, while bypassing the cheap entry level - which I'm going to venture you're already gone beyond in your head.

Just saving you some time, if not $$$ up front. Except time is money, so take the long view. $1400 to $1800 gets you a real analog powerhouse.

Good luck!

Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

thanks for all of the recommendations.

a good friend/producer/live musican recommended the Novation Circuit to me as a good solution to get started. it looks a bit simplistic but perhaps could be fun. thoughts on that one?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Bass Station 2
Nord Lead 4
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

If you keep your eyes on Craigslist, depending on where you live, you could probably find a Roland JX3P, an Akai AX60, a Juno HS-60 (same as the Juno 106), Kawai K3, Yamaha AN1X, Ensoniq ESQ-1/SQ-80, or a Korg MS2000 for close to your budget. All sound great, not all of them are knob per function but editing is going to be easy on any of them. Good luck!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm really intrigued by the Waldorf Blofeld myself. Listened to some demos, really liked what I've heard.

So ambient and lush. Surprised these aren't talked about more
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search