The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog FX units? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Nut

Analog FX units?

What analog fx units do people use for inserts and sends? A lot of people, myself included, tend to use digital for fx. I guess you get more bang for the buck that way - but that line of reasoning doesn't seem to be the same when it comes to synths - people are willing to sacrifice a lot for that analog sound.

Do any of you here feel there same about your fx? If so, what are your favourite fx boxes, be it a delay, flanger, reverb, anything? What would you recommend to someone who's only ever used digital fx?
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

I love old analog delay. The Yamaha units are good but I have a couple ibanez that I really love. I can't get enough delay tho. I use a lot of digital delay too. Def not a purist. Just nothing else does bucket brigade delay except the real deal I guess.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

"analog" reverb is hard to do -- you can use a mix of delays, or a spring reverb, but you can't really do an analog emulation of a physical space.

My current/send returns are:

- OTO Biscuit (analog)
- OTO Bam (digital)
- Timeline (digital)
- Echosystem (digital)
- Big Sky (digital)
- Reverb 2016 (digital)
- Drawmer 1978 (analog)
- TK Audio BC1S (analog)
- Clusterflux (analog)
- El Capistan (digital)
- Evol Fucifier (analog)
- Analog Heat (analog)
- Fusion Box (analog)
- RMLFX Jekyll&Hyde (analog)
- Mercury 7 (digital)

Basically the analog domain stuff tends to be warmth/saturation/compression. Delays/reverbs are almost always digital.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
What would you recommend to someone who's only ever used digital fx?
These would be the Big Six analog FX for me (with an example of each):

BBD delay (Moog MF-104z)
Tape delay (Roland RE-201)
Chorus/flanger (Moog MF-108)
Phaser (Moog MF-103)
Spring reverb (Vermona VSR-3)
Saturation/Overdrive (Moog MF-101)

Another personal favourite is the Vermona Retroverb Lancet. It's like a little analog toolkit with saturation, overdrive, filtering, and spring reverb.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

some of my fav fx boxes that i use are -

korg wavestation a/d (yes this serves me well as an fx unit)
heptode virtuoso phase shifter pedal (based on maestro ps-1a phase shifter)
yamaha spx-900 and 990
boss re-20 space echo
catalinbread echorec pedal (nice binson echorec clone pedal)
mu-tron phasor II
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Boss CE-300 analog chorus, very Juno like.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I use these, love them all

Eventide Eclipse
Analog Heat
Culture Vulture
Strymon Big Sky
Moogerfooger Delay
Mutronics Mutator
Oto Biscuit
Oto Bim
Strymon Timeline
Sherman Filterbank
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
"analog" reverb is hard to do

...Delays/reverbs are almost always digital.
you've already mentioned spring reverb.
what about plate reverb? what about an actual chamber? (does that count as analog fx?)

there are some great analog BBD delays, tape and disk echos.

alongside delays and reverbs...
all the old analog (blackface) Roland units are great.
especially the Dimension D is hard to beat in the digital domain.

i have just started using my JC160 as an "analog effects unit".
it has a nice spring reverb, the great Roland chorus and distortion, wich is more of a saturation type effect.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I created a super cheap DIY plate reverb out of an old ride cymbal, some broken headphones and a piezo mic. I was shocked by how weird and cool it sounds.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompetigo View Post
I created a super cheap DIY plate reverb out of an old ride cymbal, some broken headphones and a piezo mic. I was shocked by how weird and cool it sounds.
that sounds creative and interesting!
would you be willing to share some samples?
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

i like analog effects not only for the character but for the immediacy and simplicity. one effect with not to many options to mess with and knobs. feels more like an instrument. but i love digital too. mostly vintage though or emulations like strymon elcapistan and deco or oto bim and bam.

analog fx in my current setup:

spring reverb
boss rx100
vermona retroverb lancet

delay
ibanez ad220
oto bim (partly analog)
behringer vd400

chorus
boss ce1 clone
behringer cc300
ehx small clone

phaser
mutron phasor 2 clone
ehx small stone

flanger
ada flanger
ibanez ad220

filter/distortion/dirt/character
vermona retroverb lancet
ms20mini
oto biscuit (partly analog)
ehx 2ube preamp
ehx big muff
revox a77
yamaha mt4X
Old 10th July 2017
Here for the gear

Are you all using them as inserts or bus sends. I had this quite for a while, now I tend to just record through outboard and keep plugins on the busses. Like this I can offline bounce and have oversampling but I'm sometimes missing the outboard sends ... Would be great to know how you do it.

For the original question I think outboard is still hard to beat, I use Dp4+, Oto Biscuit, Timeline, Eventide 3000, MoogerFoogers etc. but on the other hand the right plug-in combinations can also do really well.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyfirst View Post
Are you all using them as inserts or bus sends. I had this quite for a while, now I tend to just record through outboard and keep plugins on the busses. Like this I can offline bounce and have oversampling but I'm sometimes missing the outboard sends ... Would be great to know how you do it.
depends. some units are dedicated to certain synths, some are used as inserts, some as send effects. the only units constantly on send for quite a while now are el capistan and bam. the rest is changing all the time. damn that reminds me that i need a patchbay
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

I know it's odd, but I don't use digital effects, at least not with my analog sources. It's not some snobby analog > digital thing, I just personally find analog effects more inspiring and direct for me. So, I have a lot of analog effects, but here are my favorites:

Vermona Retroverb Lancet - as someone else in this thread intimated, this thing is the king of analog mangling tools. If I could only have one analog effects unit, this would be it.

Korg SE-300 Stage Echo - nothing beats a real tape delay and these Korg units remain criminally underrated in the shadow of the popular Roland Space Echos.

Vox Double Decca Delay - I have several BBD delays, but this one has 900ms of delay time, fairly extreme modulation, and a unique feature which is a long/short switch that can be set to both long and short simultaneously.

Moog MF Delay - best-sounding BBD delay that I own, it goes fully wet, has CV input, and is still pretty compact.

Moog MF Chorus - pretty much the same pluses as the MF Delay.

Rodec/Sherman Restyler - this is a pretty killer multi-mode filter with envelope follower and some nice distortion. It's more tame than its popular cousin (the filterbank), but it's stereo and has its own unique character.

Tech 21 Blonde (Character Series) - I love to crunch up drum machines through this analog amp sim pedal.
Old 10th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
depends. some units are dedicated to certain synths, some are used as inserts, some as send effects. the only units constantly on send for quite a while now are el capistan and bam. the rest is changing all the time. damn that reminds me that i need a patchbay
yeah, get one! just got two in the beginning of the year ... i changed from having the outboard on sends/inserts after i got a patchbay. sometimes i still use some send or insert since i have a stereo pair on the patchbay from the computer to computer, so i can patch in what i want. have to say in general i'm more happy that way since the material comes in already treated with effects and i can easier adjust for latencies which got quite heavy with 7 outboard sends active ...
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I bought the Carbon Copy and Malekko Dark echo delays but they aren't all that to be honest. Just sounds kind of muddy and weird. The analog overdrive/distortion pedals I have are great on mono synths or mono drums but they don't take stereo input so not great for stereo signals.

I would leave time based effects for digital and dynamic effects for analog and digital.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Two Times View Post
I bought the Carbon Copy and Malekko Dark echo delays but they aren't all that to be honest. Just sounds kind of muddy and weird.
Have you tried a reamping box? Maybe those units aren't made to accept line-level signals with them being guitar pedals...

Reamping boxes can be picked up quite cheap, behringer do one for less than £20, for instance.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
Have you tried a reamping box? Maybe those units aren't made to accept line-level signals with them being guitar pedals...

Reamping boxes can be picked up quite cheap, behringer do one for less than £20, for instance.
Yes I have all my pedals hooked up to an attenuator.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

I've got a load of the Helectro-Harmonix valve pedals, they sound awesome: Filter, EQ, Compressor, pre-amp, tremolo/vibrato and a distortion.
The EQ is especially interesting because the midband control is sweepable and will go into self oscillation.
I also have a Germanium distortion which is interesting and weird, can sound like a wave shaper more than a distortion.

I also have a few guitar multi-effects which have digital emulations of analogue effects. These are really good value because you have a whole set of effects on at once.
One of them does have a real valve though.

I also have the Eventide stomp-boxes and a Lexicon multi effects box.

OTOH I also have a modular that was originally built as an effects system. It has loads of weird and wonderful modules, almost all of which can do some form of sound processing. Modular gear is usually far more modulate-able than things like stomp-boxes, but they also tend to have a different sound.
My selection is again a mixture of analogue and digital, usually doing what they do best - e.g. there's lots of different kinds of filters and they're all analogue.
The Schippmann modules (all analogue) are especially good, but you pay $$$ for them.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
If you have a lot of outboard effects I strongly recommend a patchbay. I have my effects across two patchbays with standard chains all set up in the patchbay. They are co-located with my mixer so I can hook up sends/inserts to any effect or effects chain really easily. It really aids the workflow and saves the jacks on equipment.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear
Having used a modest amount of fx, both digital and analog, on sends on my mixer, I don't have a blanket preference for analog over digital. I care only about the sound, the immediacy of a knobby interface, and reasonable cost.

DELAY
Had a vintage Memory Man Deluxe, swapped it out for a Moog MF-104M and I'm very happy. But I also have a Strymon Dig which I love and an old Digitech RDS 3.6 digital rack delay which is interesting and sometimes useful. Based on this experience, I don't think of analog delay as being better or worse than digital. Just different. I've found the delays in low-cost multi-fx digital units to be serviceable, but not special.

REVERB
Real spring reverb sounds better to my ears than a digital recreation. I started with the spring reverb included in a vintage ARP Minus Noise mixer, then moved on to a Peavey Valverb. While it sounded great, I couldn't justify the cost and space for the Valverb. It's been replaced with a BigSky which produces so much variety that it was well worth the change.

PHASER
Started with a mutron Phasor (the least expensive model) which was ok. Upgraded to a Moog MF-103 which was lovely. But I've pushed the MF-103 into storage to make room for a Zoom MS70CDR which covers to much more ground while still delivering pretty decent phaser sounds.

CHORUS
My only analog chorus experience is with the onboard chorus on the Juno-60. It sounded nice, but it had too much of a "THIS IS A JUNO-60 WITH CHORUS!" vibe. Digital chorus is just fine with me.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

I just ordered a Vermona Retroverb Lancet today. It seems like a real cool tool not just for reverb but for adding color to sounds, filtering them, etc.

I had a Strymon Big Sky, but I sold it because I found myself not using it as much. I have an Elektron Analog Heat which I think sounds REALLY nice. You can get great subtle results as well as destroying.

One item that has been on my wishlist is a OTO Biscuit.

I have a 500 series rack with two A-Designs preamps. Was thinking of getting rid of this as I am not sure I will delve deeper into 500 series.
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
I just ordered a Vermona Retroverb Lancet today. It seems like a real cool tool not just for reverb but for adding color to sounds, filtering them, etc.
Mine's arriving Thursday, can't wait.

Quote:
One item that has been on my wishlist is a OTO Biscuit.
Same here, and for a very long time, but just haven't been able to grab one anywhere.
Old 11th July 2017
few analog favorites. 9 out of 10 times they get recorded with the synth as part of the sound. tho i did some daw instering and reamping from time to time, and delays naturally get hooked via dedicated i/o so i can use them as sends in my daw.

bbd delay: boss dm300, ehx deluxe memoryman - black 81 and blue 77

tape delay: space echo re201

flanger: mxr126 flanger doubler, boss bf-1

phaser: moog mf103, small stone rev2, scriptlogo mxr phase 90 and 45

filter: mutronics mutator, mxr envelope filter and crapload of filters in euro (am synths, malekko etc)

chorus/ensemble: synthoma elkorus

distortion/overdrive/fuzz: mxr script dist+, stompunderfoot nos big muffs, germ & silicon fuzzes etc

spring reverb: music thing spring with accutronics 9" and hammond 17"

ring modulation: again i route to euro. have a beautiful sounding oakley (arp4019) ringmod.
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just ordered a Vermona Retroverb Lancet today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
Mine's arriving Thursday, can't wait.
I would put the Retroverb Lancet in the top five most useful—and most used—accessories in my studio. It works particularly well on analog sound sources that already sound good. It takes them to a level one might not know even exists. For example, the SH-2 is a great sounding synth, right? Making it sound “better” is not usually a priority. But run it through the Lancet… adjust the gain… drive… and start playing around with the other settings… and wow. Next level.
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

I love analog delays, down to choruses and flangers. I also like analog phasers and frequency shifters. I am totally happy with digital verbs (and delays as well for longer times - tempo sync and direct CC control of divisions and feedback is huge if you step sequence that!)

I use analog delays for lots of synthesis. Resonant noise plucks turn to lofi clappy type things with a short analog delau modulated by a square LFO. I use that kind of stuff for percussion all the time when I want that AFX Soundcloud archive type sound. Great for getting little lively acid rolls too with pinged envelopes controling delay times with a step sequencer controling envelope strength and attack/decay. Thats mostly how I make all my bugbrand formant acid sequences work. You get nice little vocal MWUAMPs in between more plucky sounds when you add some attack to that ping's delay time. That stuff doesn't happen with digital delays.

If you grab a soldering iron and build the full setup of Juergen Haible FX, I would say you are pretty set for analog fx for a good while.

A good spring verb is also clutch. I have a single Befaco spring reverb and couldn't be happier. So creepy and lively and only $40 for a pcb/panel set.
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Love me some analog.

Without the Synths this lot make enough noise that you can play them by themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Analog FX units?-moog-effects.jpg  
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Ibanez ES2 is a cheap-ish and effective delay. Analogue too unlike half the stuff mentioned in this thread.
Old 11th July 2017
Gear Maniac

I've got my send/returns running through a Yamaha E1005 which hasn't been mentioned yet. I write that surprisingly simply because its threshold allows line input... something unheard of for its release date. I run that into the RE-20 BOSS (not Roland unfortunately) Space Echo.

I am also using a couple of BOSS SE-70's for my Sub37 and SE-1 respectively. Although I don't want to change that, I think the SE-70's would be great for send/return effects
Really good units and Liam Howlett couldn't get enough of 'em so 'ave at it! The SE-50 is a pretty good shout too, mind.

I have a Roland CE-300 and a DD-200 sitting there at the moment and although they are great there threshold for line level signals are awful. Hmmm might be colourful in a subtle sort of way... experiment awaits!!! Hehehe
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
chorus/ensemble: synthoma elkorus

sigh...you and Septik parading around all fancy-like with your Elkoruses!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search