The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SoundCloud Cuts 40% of Staff
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

SoundCloud Cuts 40% of Staff

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-independent

"SoundCloud Cuts 40% of Staff -
SoundCloud, which in January said it was at risk of running out of money, informed staff on Thursday that 173 jobs would be eliminated. It had 420 employees. The company’s operations will be consolidated at its headquarters in Berlin and another office in New York. Offices in San Francisco and London will be shut."

Might want to make some backup plans, just in case!

Last edited by 24dB; 1 week ago at 01:10 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it's getting better over there... :/

"All your bass are belong to us: Soundcloud fans raid site for music amid fears of total collapse.
You have no chance to survive make your time"

"Music hosting biz SoundCloud, having just axed 40 per cent of its staff, is now trying to ward off rumors that it will go broke in less than two months.

The song-sharing service was rumored to be in crisis mode and had to shut its doors, with just 50 days of funding left before it ran out of cash. A spokesperson insisted Thursday, however, that this is not the case, and that following last week's layoffs, SoundCloud is going to be able to turn a profit soon."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...sts_not_dying/
Old 1 week ago
no no no no! Michele just started following me this morning!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I'm surprised that they had staff in the first place. I wonder why a streaming service needs a lot of staff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
I simply don't understand the information age and making money....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I wonder for how many more years tech companies will continue to build on a business model where they give **** away for free in hopes that someday they'll figure out how to make money. It looks to me as if this isn't sustainable unless you're in bed somehow with a government entity or company that has need for data analysis and intel gathering. Hopefully soundcloud will figure it out, I'd miss their service.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
no no no no! Michele just started following me this morning!
me too!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
It's either "Hey, let's copy this existing service but undercut everyone and conveniently forget about regulation or employee rights" or "Let's build something and bleed money and hope Google buys us"

Truth be told - storage and bandwidth have become incredibly, incredibly cheap - that's why Dropbox hands out 2 GB accounts. The paid accounts subsidize the free ones.

SC was hoping to get something similar with their pro accounts, but it's ended up as one giant botfarm where everyone has to like and repost everyone else's tracks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The writings been on the wall for a while now if you've been paying attention. I payed for a premium account early on for a year. You get a few extra hours, the ability to replace tracks (should be in all versions) and some marginally interesting analytics. Compare that to YouTube. For free you get no limit on content, replace whatever you want, google analytics, and I'm coming to realize a much larger reach. Why would I pay for a premium sc account?

The only unique thing about sc is that it's almost all musicians and content creators with accounts. Almost none of my non-musician friends had accounts unless I made them create one to follow me. On the one hand it was nice early on sharing with and meeting other artists but it always felt kind of insular.

End result- I haven't updated my sc page in 6 months and I've been putting anything I want to share on YouTube. It's really no surprise that they aren't profitable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I used to go on there to listen to gear demos, but you can't even filter your search by newest first. Then they changed the mobile app so you have to sign up- yeah, no thanks....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Youtube is one option but it lacks in terms of monetization. Bandcamp is a nice option for that - I can just buy an album or a track there, but it's not so much aimed at embedding/sharing.

As a SC alternative (paid though) - https://octave.is/ was developed by (I think) the AudioDamage folks who specifically target the whole linkfarming nonsense, but the discoverability aspect does not exist (i.e. going to the front page won't allow me to check out music that's hosted there.)

I think the biggest turn-off with SC for me was "Free download! (after you click like & follow on these dozen social networks)". Really?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is there another service you use to upload tracks?

I upload stuff to SoundCloud to listen in my car and computer at work.

Is there something better ....?

I think new leadership would have a huge opportunity to turn the company around - there is a big user base But it just doesn't seem to be the best run company.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Although I'm presently on SoundCloud and enjoy using it, I think the best business model for sharing/selling music is Bandcamp.
The ability to choose the quality of your download(Flac, Mp3, etc), and to set the price from free to $XX.00 is a big plus.

I would think if SC does disappear(I hope not), it would be a good option to choose.

Any thoughts from Bandcamp users?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
It was a great way to get trolled, or that "Your track could be making money with....."
Once my 2 hours was used up, I went to Orfium.com

But even this site has a front page showing kids 30 or more years younger than me.
Maybe these sites should try appealing to the older demographic?
(Although I am immune to most propaganda via advertising)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Although I'm presently on SoundCloud and enjoy using it, I think the best business model for sharing/selling music is Bandcamp.
The ability to choose the quality of your download(Flac, Mp3, etc), and to set the price from free to $XX.00 is a big plus.

I would think if SC does disappear(I hope not), it would be a good option to choose.

Any thoughts from Bandcamp users?
Good for selling music.. but I use SoundCloud mostly for private tracks, for sound checks and rough mixes, etc. can you do that in Band camp?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post

I have a Google Music account.

Anything I put on my (Android) phone shows up in my Google Music player as well. Best of all; since it's already living on the phone, I can set the app to "offline mode" so I don't use any data during my morning commute.

I can put my own music on Dropbox, choose "Export" in the Dropbox app on my phone, and it'll save the music to the device so I use that option over putting my music directly on my phone with an USB cable.

If you upload your music to Google Music via your browser, you can browse to it on your phone because it's part of your collection. Then you can choose "download" - it'll park the tracks in your phone, and then you can use offline mode again. Of course you can stream as well. Works like a charm for me.

Of course, Google Music isn't free, but I like it better than other streaming services.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think new leadership would have a huge opportunity to turn the company around - there is a big user base But it just doesn't seem to be the best run company.
YouTube is probably your best bet, especially if you just want to get free tracks out there.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
me too!!
two timing cow...its over!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
It was a great way to get trolled, or that "Your track could be making money with....."
Once my 2 hours was used up, I went to Orfium.com

But even this site has a front page showing kids 30 or more years younger than me.
Maybe these sites should try appealing to the older demographic?
(Although I am immune to most propaganda via advertising)
Ive been using this

https://www.ourtime.com/

Old 1 week ago
Too Funny! Made me laugh!
I always get those dating sites confused with music sites!
Wait! Aren't they one and the same?

You could have also set up a tinyurl to RickRoll me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Ive been using this

https://www.ourtime.com/

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I fully lost interest in SC when it stopped groups. I ran a sizable hauntology group for several years and got to discover a lot of great artists through it. So pissed off when it had to end.

I also paid for pro for a couple of years to be able to upload more music, but found my plays going down in number all the time. I don't know of any 'music lovers' with accounts there, only other artists. Bringing pros onto the platform and promoting them didn't help the 99.9% of potential customers or make them want to pay, either.

I'm sure they're not unique enough or have enough valuable enough data otherwise they would have been bought by now. Turning no profit and having 'potential' is better than turning a tiny one for VCs.

Badly thought out, really.

I think somebody needs to figure out a promotional/discoverability platform for independent artists. SC just became about hosting.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So.. how do you guys upload rough mixes to listen online ... just google music?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So.. how do you guys upload rough mixes to listen online ... just google music?
What for?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
What for?
I make mixes and composition fragments, upload to soundcloud (private).

Listen on my work computer, in my car, in my house, etc.

It's very convenient.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Why would I need to upload my own music to listen to it myself ?

I only upload my music so others can listen to it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wish I could download every file I have uploaded to it with one click and get a zip file.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Neither, does it seem, do most folks running the digital age. They're really good at spending, though
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
Why would I need to upload my own music to listen to it myself ?
Listening again to something you've made after a while allows you to approach the material with a fresh perspective. Just the fact that you're not sitting in the studio but somewhere else - that can change things already.

That goes for composition, mixing and mastering.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search