The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Artisan ottava trentasette
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Addict

Artisan ottava trentasette

So I just got my trentasette, and I'm realising it's gonna take some time before I can post a real thorough review.
Some of my first impressions are that it really sounds huge and warm, it was between this or the sub37, and I was worried it couldn't get as dirty but I was completely wrong.
It has a really nasty clipping to it. If you overdrive the oscillators into the amp it has a huge warm overdriven sound. Its hard to describe but it sounds maybe like my old big muff sounded if you can imagine the sub37 as more of a rat pedal type of overdrive sound. That's the best I can come up with.
It is obviously well made, it feels like it was built to withstand bomb attacks, some of the most vocal worries from member were the build quality and I can say they are all TRUE!! The pots DO stick up kinda weirdly, the wood trim is kinda uneven in places, BUT.. to me this is really part of the charm.. The pots are really the most beefy things I've ever seen, they seem to be too long for the knob shafts, but man they and the knobs are just pure quality, you could wack them as hard as you can and they would laugh. The aluminum plate is cut and printed perfect, and the wood it very thick and solid. Even the bottom plate is thick and solid.
Ok so to me that stuff is second to the sound.. And there is no reviews, video's, or anything really on that.. So I'll try to do video's of it but it's gonna take time.. It sounds thick, thicker than the arp odyssey and that baby is thick. I would say the sound is more solid and stronger midrange like a mini, with much less buzz if any. It sounds like syrup, but not drowning in it, still powerfully defined. I have no idea how to fit this in a mix it just drowns everything out really. These are real discreet vco's and they sound like it.
Everything from the modulation matrix to the function multipliers, generators, to the four input moxr ring modulator are well engineered. The filter is a four pole cascade that is beautiful! Envelopes have both trigger modes for starting hard on keypress or at start of attack, have full looping, hold, and delay. Really nice! I'm freaking stoked! This thing is gonna be awesome, no sequencer or arpeggiator but you can just make one with the generators.
I guess for the price your giving up the sequencer, knobs, I wish it had knobs for both oscillators, and knobs for maybe two envelopes like the sub37, and the amount of ins and outs, you only get one 1/4 audio out, one cv/pedal in, and midi in/out. Really basic ins and outs. No audio in, but you do get four envelopes, and four lfo's! Plus 21 modulation sources to 25 destination I believe. But I can't underemphasis the sound though, it is a beast.
I will try to answer any questions about it if anyone is curious, I'm really suprised how well thought out it is considering one guy built all of it, except printing the boards and the front plate. It really is an amazing thing, it's a lot of synthesizer(and a lot of wood) for a little under $900. I think anyone that can get past the fact it's not gonna be perfectly polished consumer mass produced assembly, should really look into it as an option for a very playable mono/duo analog.
Also, he's working on a foldable two voice model with 61 keys that would give you a whole lot of more options.
Here is some pics I took real quick:

Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info. It looks great.
Please post some audio demos when you can!
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

So, does he do the white version as a keyboard? That'd be neat
Old 8th July 2017
AEI
Here for the gear

Yes.. white is an option (the Atomic look).
This synthesizer was a custom build for Kja. He wanted the baroque look with a 3 octave keyboard.
We went back and forth on design details and I provides a few 3D sketches to get approval before the build.

If you look at our Custom Instruments page, you will also see 2 and 4 octave custom versions
https://www.artisanelectronicinstruments.com/blank-c4xl

AEI was started with the idea to be the place an artist/musician could go and have the instrument of his dream custom built.
Guitarist have the option.. Why shouldn't synth players?
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

And it truly is my dream synth! I am smitten by this thing, I wish you guys could have heard it today.. I had her midi'd to a jdxi and the roland was pushing a sick backbeat type thing and it was following along on one of the channels.. Just flipping through some of my custom presets I made and switching envelopes and lfo's to the oscillators it sounded too freaking epic just swallowing the beat with the right amount of nasty grit to perfectly housy cleans with just the sub oscillators and ring mod.. It was beautiful!

Mike said he has 3 more trentasette panels if anyone wants something similar..

What's up Mike? Thanks so much again! I still haven't wrote my review yet I'm still wrapping my head around it honestly, but I'm gonna start doing YouTube video's about the synth very soon.
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

Hey thanks for the great review - never heard of this synth before. The modulation options seem unbelievable! Close to modular.
What's are the fm tones like ?and overall options on fm?
Old 8th July 2017
AEI
Here for the gear

Kja

Glad you are still lovin' the Ottava Trentasette.
Great pix of it. Can I download them and post on our Website?

Mike and AEI
Old 8th July 2017
AEI
Here for the gear

Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEI View Post
Kja

Glad you are still lovin' the Ottava Trentasette.
Great pix of it. Can I download them and post on our Website?

Mike and AEI
Of course Mike, thanks!
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Hey thanks for the great review - never heard of this synth before. The modulation options seem unbelievable! Close to modular.
What's are the fm tones like ?and overall options on fm?
Well both the pitch and the wave structure are routable to any destination, so you can get weird quick, you can route them to a multiplier for instance. I just got it so I'm trying to still understand it. Maybe Mike the creator and genius can reply..
Old 8th July 2017
AEI
Here for the gear

Kja

Yeah.. I really messed up with the photography.
I am jealous of the guys that seem to have the skills, time or money to really put out great marketing.
I also notice that most sites only post 1 or 2 pix of each product. A few well done pix on the website... leave the "protoype build" type stuff for FB and Instagram. Good plan.

Mike @ AEI
Old 8th July 2017
I think I'd rather have an awesome synth with iffy pictures than the reverse...

Cheers and congrats on what looks like an amazing instrument!

proftea
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEI View Post
Kja

Yeah.. I really messed up with the photography.
I am jealous of the guys that seem to have the skills, time or money to really put out great marketing.
I also notice that most sites only post 1 or 2 pix of each product. A few well done pix on the website... leave the "protoype build" type stuff for FB and Instagram. Good plan.

Mike @ AEI
Mike, word gets around here quick, just keep making amazing synths and the marketing will work it's self out, how is the two voice coming along?
Old 9th July 2017
AEI
Here for the gear

You can route any 2 sources to the Filter Cutoff. LFO1 goes up to about 120Hz and can give some good FM-like tones to the filter.
Likewise you can route any source to the oscillator pitch.
This Ottava voice card does not have audio level FM (using an osc output to modulate the Filter or another osc ), but you can use the XOR ring-mod to get some pretty nice bell/metal/clank tones.

Mike @AEI
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search