The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Are You Using For Freeware VSTi's? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

What Are You Using For Freeware VSTi's?

I'm a MacBook Pro user and I want to know what are you using for VSTi's and what are some that aren't CPU hogs?
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Dexed is probably my favorite soft synth I have free or not. If you are in to fm synthesis it is a must have. I have an actual DX7 and it is almost indisguishable (digital grit and all) but it is of course far easier to use.
Also, Crystal is an oldie but a goodie if you haven't already used it. I pulled it up for the first time in a long while recently and I was very impressed by how well it has held up over the years.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

KVR: Free instrument for Mac OS X

I am on PC - the page above helps me find what freebies also work on a Mac, so i'll just check first few pages if there are VSTis i regularly use there.
OK:
PG-8X +
OBXD +
TAL ELEK7RO -
CRYSTAL -
ZEBRALETTE -
SYNTH1 +
TYRELL N6 +
REAKTOR PLAYER
SFORZANDO
DEXED +

That is from first 10 pages.
"+" signs next to my favorite ones.
"-" signs next to ones that i don't really use regularly, just once in a blue moon.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear
A bunch of HG Fortune instruments
MDA Electric Piano

I'll add to the list when I get back to my DAW and take a look. My memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear
A bunch of HG Fortune instruments
MDA Electric Piano

I'll add to the list when I get back to my DAW and take a look. My memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

What sequencer are you using?

Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

@gdoubleyou you're asking me? I have no DAW yet but the sequencer I plan to use is a HW one.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

@gdoubleyou you're asking me? I have no DAW yet but the sequencer I plan to use is a HW one.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Since Logic Pro X is only $200, I consider all the synths that come with it freeware (but I don't use any of them even though Sculpture and Alchemy are supposed to be quite good; I do use the effects, though, and would gladly trade all the synths for more/better effects or at least finishing the job updating the skins) ...

Last edited by Diametro; 13th September 2017 at 04:50 AM..
Old 13th September 2017

Was posted in a thread by another Gearslutz-er
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Head

Garageband is preinstalled on your MacBook or can be downloaded for free. High quality sounds and a good starting point. Of course depending on the music you want to create...
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Sq8l and dexed are the only freeware I use
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

At this point, I think the Tal Instruments and Dexed are all I use. Good stuff though.

Keep your eyes open for Black Friday and Holiday sales in the month to come too if you see any pay ware you need to buy.

If you can afford it, it's great to support these software developers
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Head

Don't dismiss the instruments in GarageBand just because they're "free" (they aren't, the price is included in the Mac purchase).

Also, Pure Data baby
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Crystal still gets me synth sounds that I would not dare to program on my own. That delay mod page is no joke.

OBXD - I just got this a few weeks ago. It's fun to program and can get rough and dirty in the best way.

TAL are solid.

U-he, has free versions of Bazille and Zebra, but I did not get too far with programming them. Zebra felt too 'knobby' and twitchy. Bazille is using some hybrid modular setup, which I'm just not into. The presets are nice though.

Dune has a functional free version, have not used it.
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Also if you want to have an access to at least 10 times bigger world of freeware plugins for PC, just buy some used old one for like 100$ (i mean old like for example Core2 Duo or Athlon 64 X2).
You won't be able to run 100 instances in real time like you can on your modern computer, but it will most probably be good enough to run all the current most CPU hungry (freeware is usually not very hungry) plugins if you just use 1 or 2 instances and not too high polyphony.
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@Mutantt I'm a Mac user/owner.
I know.
Look at my first post in this thread.

The 2nd post was just a suggestion.
An old and very cheap, or if you are lucky even free PC, would be a key to unlocking some very good software you can't currently use.
I'm not talking about changing your main computer to a PC.
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Addict

U-he Podolski is also very useful and free. Beatzille or Bazille CM

Tyrell Helm

Stillwell Audio Olga (unlimited demo/onationware)

Sinevibes Zap

Perhaps someday somebody will Port sq8l over to Mac without having to rig your setup, but not looking promising I think even PC support has now stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Crystal still gets me synth sounds that I would not dare to program on my own. That delay mod page is no joke.

OBXD - I just got this a few weeks ago. It's fun to program and can get rough and dirty in the best way.

TAL are solid.

U-he, has free versions of Bazille and Zebra, but I did not get too far with programming them. Zebra felt too 'knobby' and twitchy. Bazille is using some hybrid modular setup, which I'm just not into. The presets are nice though.

Dune has a functional free version, have not used it.

Last edited by synthpunk; 13th September 2017 at 09:19 PM..
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

These are by far the best free ones out there IMO:

Tyrel N6
PG8X
SQ8L
Dexed
Zebralette

Linplug Free Alpha is old and a bit small on the GUI side, but still sounds pretty good and is pretty intuitive to use.

There's a ton of free drum plugins out there, but DR-Fusion still gets the most use from me just cause the presets have a good mix of synth drums and "realistic" sounds.
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

Is there a VST freeware plug-in that can Varispeed the whole project up or down a half step or two?
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Is there a VST freeware plug-in that can Varispeed the whole project up or down a half step or two?
AFAIK Not at good enough quality.
But you can download REAPER and use the 30 day fully functional demo period to do that.
REAPER uses Elastique pitch algos.
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

Hey, thanks Mutantt! I was thinking of doing that, but the demo videos show the slider is labelled in per cent, I couldn't find a conversion to "cents/semitones" on line, just to confirm what my ears are hearing. (Yup, just a hobbyist here, trying to get better!).

I have Cubase 9.0.20 which also uses Elastique, but the problems there are:

1) Can't do the Varispeed for the whole project at once, just on a track by track basis, so would have to bounce everything rather than just tweak a slider, and
2) Like Reaper, it's also not labelled in cents/semitones (just BPM, in Cubase's case)..
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Hey, thanks Mutantt! I was thinking of doing that, but the demo videos show the slider is labelled in per cent, I couldn't find a conversion to "cents/semitones" on line, just to confirm what my ears are hearing. (Yup, just a hobbyist here, trying to get better!).

I have Cubase 9.0.20 which also uses Elastique, but the problems there are:

1) Can't do the Varispeed for the whole project at once, just on a track by track basis, so would have to bounce everything rather than just tweak a slider, and
2) Like Reaper, it's also not labelled in cents/semitones (just BPM, in Cubase's case)..
But it is labelled in cents/semitones/octaves.
Also you can put it on the master track if you want to change pitch of everything with just 1 process.

Plugins/Cockos/ReaPitch
Algo = Elastique 2.28 Pro

But if you want to also stretch time, then yes - you need to render the project first and then do it through:
Right click on an audio item and select Item properties, or select it with left click and press F2.
Then enter values in plaback rate and/or pitch adjust (semitones) fields.

The third method is via stretch markers, but that only changes time, not pitch.
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
But it is labelled in cents/semitones/octaves.
Also you can put it on the master track if you want to change pitch of everything with just 1 process.

Plugins/Cockos/ReaPitch
Algo = Elastique 2.28 Pro

But if you want to also stretch time, then yes - you need to render the project first and then do it through:
Right click on an audio item and select Item properties, or select it with left click and press F2.
Then enter values in plaback rate and/or pitch adjust (semitones) fields.

The third method is via stretch markers, but that only changes time, not pitch.
Ah, thanks again, Mutantt. Looks like my search is still on for the tape slowdown/speedup effect that can be applied to the whole project. I've heard that PT and Logic have a single slider for that. As above, my Cubase doesn't. I may have to live with that!

I appreciate your time!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search