The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg Prophesy editing??
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Korg Prophesy editing??

Just bought one of these silver beasts.I know people generally dont like them too much but there is mystery and weirdness to be had im sure.Lots of classic tunes been magiced up back in the days!!!!!anyways i did a reset and when say im on patch 1 for instance in performance mode i get a screen with flashing bars and various parameters appearing and dissapearing and then empty bars and then some that say off.I cant change any parameters but sometimes i might be able to change one .Not very satisfying.Well i looked at the manual and it seemed that i should be able to immediately change various parameters straight away ??? I did reset it so is my machine ok? thats my question.Is it normal to have to set every thing uo from the get go.I look forward to your reply and comment about this strange monster.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Bump before i go to sleep.I hope to get some clarification by tomorrow because i can make a decision then to return it or not.Thanx
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac
This is normal behavior on a Prophecy. In the patch's "performance mode" eg not editing the patch in a deeper subsection, the main screen scrolls through a few different parameters (that you can set up in the patch) to allow you to tweak. It should hold while you're twisting the knobs.

So for example, I have a bass patch and I have the "performance" set up to be like this:

Filter1Cutoff Filter1Resonance EG1Decay etc

then maybe on the second screen there will be like this:

LFO1Rate LFO1Depth etc etc.

They will page through and each should effect that parameter.

It's kind of a messy system, but there aren't enough knobs on the Prophecy to control all the oscillators/filters/eg's/lfos.

Hope this helps.
Old 19th June 2017
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Not very satisfying.
Sounds like the Prophecy interface. I didn't like editing on the keyboard at all. I used the ProGenie editor on Windows, which worked well.

I like what the synth can do. PM leads can be pretty expressive. Basses are fine.

I don't much care for the log controller. I find it a bit awkward.

Prophecies very commonly have broken solder joints on the main outputs. The solder is the only thing securing the socket, and they are not particularly large pads either. Best to be careful with any cables fatiguing the joints, and maybe use right angle connectors.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton View Post
This is normal behavior on a Prophecy. In the patch's "performance mode" eg not editing the patch in a deeper subsection, the main screen scrolls through a few different parameters (that you can set up in the patch) to allow you to tweak. It should hold while you're twisting the knobs.

So for example, I have a bass patch and I have the "performance" set up to be like this:

Filter1Cutoff Filter1Resonance EG1Decay etc

then maybe on the second screen there will be like this:

LFO1Rate LFO1Depth etc etc.

They will page through and each should effect that parameter.

It's kind of a messy system, but there aren't enough knobs on the Prophecy to control all the oscillators/filters/eg's/lfos.

Hope this helps.
Ok.Yep i kinda worked out that you have to set it up to use all the parameters.My problem is that i dont get any reaction when i turn the knobs.The parameter 'holds' but the visual bar stays empty-for instance on fist patch 'prophetic steps' above the knob it flashes from res to off-then off again then off again then another parameter and back around and when i turn knob nothing happens !!!!!similar but different parameters for each of the knobs.This is after reset too.Should they be changing>i find it perplexing that a synth this established will not have default editing.Does not make sense.So to recap-The knobs are not doing anything in this mode.The bar above the knob freezes but stays empty.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The knobs are not doing anything in this mode.The bar above the knob freezes but stays empty.
are you sure, you fetched the value?
so if the cutoff is 127 you need to turn the knob full right. then you can dial in the desired value. otherwise you're just turning a knob without any result.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflt View Post
so if the cutoff is 127 you need to turn the knob full right. then you can dial in the desired value. otherwise you're just turning a knob without any result.
Fetching the value?im turning all the knobs this way and that and nothing seems to be happening.

edit-nothing is happening.I mean im turning them back and forth this way and that and the bars and things are flashing along but no bars are turning up (there blank) Occasionally i get some control over one or 2 but nothing consistant.Again i cant believe this is normal for a mass produced synth.Why would they put it out in a mystifying state?Im no newby so....
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Haaaaa......i see what you mean about 'fetching' now!!!! i just rang back the sellar and was leaving a message on his phone and tweaking the knobs when i went all the way to the start where the knob begin and turned it up from there and it came alive.So did that with all of them and now it works perfect.Hopefully this might help others.Weird system,M
Old 19th June 2017
Quote:
Haaaaa......i see what you mean about 'fetching' now!!!! i just rang back the sellar and was leaving a message on his phone and tweaking the knobs when i went all the way to the start where the knob begin and turned it up from there and it came alive.So did that with all of them and now it works perfect.Hopefully this might help others.Weird system,M
Not sure about the prophecy in particular but many synths let you change this behavior from "thru" (the current setting) to "jump" which moves the parameter to the position of the knob instantly when turned. There are pros and cons to both imo but "thru" is slightly more forgiving to knob bumps.
Old 20th June 2017
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflt View Post
Good catch.

Quote:
Weird system,M
Bringing back all the memories of why I hated that interface so much. Editing with button press for parameter select, and menu diving isn't nice either. That scrolling screen seriously makes me want to punch it. I considered taping over it, to help me ignore that annoying design.

The ProGenie editor is really decent though.

Another thing to watch out for is the arpeggiator timing, which can lag while tweaking parameters. This was improved with the latest OS, but still doesn't quite work.
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Maniac

glad i could help
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear
I picked up a Prophecy for $100 not long ago, and I love it.
Remove the FX
Strip the sounds back
You can get some pretty usable banging sounds .
I was genuinely surprised and am enjoying it.
I don't think editing it is difficult at all either. Pretty straight ahead once you understand the menu architecture .
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear
I think the prophecy is fantastic synth. I've only had it for a month, but have programmed a lot of excellent patches. Very unique sound options, a lot of controls. Small compact keyboard (makes a decent controller).

I didn't have huge expectations as I am not super into the analog modeling on the Oasys PCI that I have, but I think it works really well in the prophecy, along with the other oscillator models. The FM mode is fun. The physical modeling is pretty on par with the yamaha VL70m. Having 2 waveshapers is also pretty cool too. The efx are maybe the weakest part, but you can always turn them off.

You know it's called a prophecy like it's from the family of the Prophet 5, Pro-1 etc, because it is ... it's the weird digital offspring. Great synth.

However, it seriously annoys me how the parameter pages are constantly flickering on the display. Is there any way to turn this off!!
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Just bought one of these silver beasts.I know people generally dont like them too much but there is mystery and weirdness to be had im sure.Lots of classic tunes been magiced up back in the days!!!!!anyways i did a reset and when say im on patch 1 for instance in performance mode i get a screen with flashing bars and various parameters appearing and dissapearing and then empty bars and then some that say off.I cant change any parameters but sometimes i might be able to change one .Not very satisfying.Well i looked at the manual and it seemed that i should be able to immediately change various parameters straight away ??? I did reset it so is my machine ok? thats my question.Is it normal to have to set every thing uo from the get go.I look forward to your reply and comment about this strange monster.
I was a heavy user of that beast, I still own it I created a bunch of patches that got published back in the days. You should be able to find them all. There was a small group of us back then who were on a usenet group working and developing patches for it.

I love that Synth. There are tools to download different libraries for it. Anyhow I will be bringing her back out and post some stuff for it if you want, still a few weeks before the studio is built and I can get all the equipment out of storage and set up. The Prophecy will be back in action
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
However, it seriously annoys me how the parameter pages are constantly flickering on the display. Is there any way to turn this off!!
AFAIK there's no way to turn that off.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
I was a heavy user of that beast, I still own it I created a bunch of patches that got published back in the days. You should be able to find them all. There was a small group of us back then who were on a usenet group working and developing patches for it.

I love that Synth. There are tools to download different libraries for it. Anyhow I will be bringing her back out and post some stuff for it if you want, still a few weeks before the studio is built and I can get all the equipment out of storage and set up. The Prophecy will be back in action
Yeah interested in hearing your take on it.Its unique-a digital keyboard monosynth from back in the day........with analog and physical modelling and effects and arpeggiator !!!!!!! Damn i think theres lots of potential there.

Quote:
AFAIK there's no way to turn that off.
Thats annoying !!!!
Old 21st June 2017
Here for the gear

One neat thing with this synth is how assignable the parameters are. The workflow makes spontaneity impossible and it's difficult to follow through with a planned patch, but when you're going through be sure to take note of the more tweakable parameters in your patch and assign them to the logwheel-up/-down/ribbon-x/ribbon-z/aftertouch. If you can take an hour or so and maintain this focus, you can end up with some seriously playable leads!

Prophecy makes a great controller as bluegreengold said, and what I like to do is make up for the lack of polyphony/-timbrality by layering it with either a good rompler or other poly: Mine acts as a master controller for an MC-909, which in turn controls an AN200 on one of its channels for a fat triple-stacked sound! AN200 in particular makes a great accompanying module in that it's polyphonic and tonally similar, and the Scene Morph can be assigned to a direction on the logwheel: find complementary patches on both and go nuts!
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

id recommend using it with an editor. last i programmed the prophecy, it was using sounddiver software, so its been quite some time, but it was a more pleasant experience than editing from the front panel.
mini
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search