The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil Midiboard Ver 3 Upgrade
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Kurzweil Midiboard Ver 3 Upgrade

Hi all,

I was already the proud owner of a Japanese build Ver 3.0 Midiboard. I decided to pick up a second MB for a backup, found a Japanese build version 2.2, and wanted to see if I could upgrade it to Ver 3. I was able to reach Hal Chamberlin (the engineer behind the MB), and he provided me the Ver 3 EPROMs.

The upgrade went very smooth and took about ½ - 1 hours. I thought I would share my notes to help anyone else that was looking to do the same:

- Per the instructions that I received - there are 2 types of logic boards – the “long board” and the “short board”. The short board is around 12 inches long while the long board is much longer (18-24”). If you take the MB cover off – it will be the board in the back of the unit. My MB had the long board.

- There are two versions of the long board. You can tell which one you have by checking the P/N on the back of the label. The part numbers for MB units with the long board are 10001501 and 10001502. The installation instructions are just slightly different depending on your P/N. I am assuming that if you do not have either of these two P/Ns that you have a short board (I don’t know for sure, just deductive reasoning…).

- The long boards have an empty EPROM socket for the Ver 3 EPROMs, while the short boards require an additional daughter-board as part of the upgrade.

- For the long board upgrade, you need to cut jumper JP3 as noted in the photo.

- The EPROM version that I received from Hal was actually 3.1. The only difference between V3.0 and V3.1 is that 3.1 is more tolerant of gaps when merging a MIDI SysEx message received on the MIDI In jack with internally generated MIDI messages. This was required to work well with the Kurzweil K150 synthesizer sound modelling software.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hal stated that he has more Ver 3.1 EPROMs, and possibly daughter-boards. If you PM me, I will provide you Hal’s contact information.

I am not allowed to post images into posts as of yet - but I uploaded the MB photos to my public album - so you you should be able to see them...

Long Live PolyAT!!!

John
Old 1 week ago
It's great that Mr. Chamberlin, back than engineer but later CTO of Kurzweil, is still supporting this great product.

I need to pick up working on my editor for the dump, I have deciphered most of the memory based on the source code, would make programming it somewhat easier.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsByJB View Post
It's great that Mr. Chamberlin, back than engineer but later CTO of Kurzweil, is still supporting this great product.
Agreed!! I felt lucky that I was able to get in touch with him.

My plan is to keep my MBs running as long as humanly possible. Maybe one day someone will develop another keyboard capable of Poly AT.

Let us know if you develop your editor for the MB. I think that this would be helpful. I find that if I haven't made MB program changes in a while, it requires me to have the manual out to get anything done. Even then it is something of a head scratcher...

John
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
poly AT ; Elka masterboard 88key and VAX?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Sorry - I meant "new" Poly AT Keyboard which is mainstream (made by major manufacturer not a funded project). It would be great if you could order your favorite midi controller with Poly AT for an extra fee. But alas (sigh), I believe most keyboard players don't use this and it is more of a niche product.

But I can dream...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgale View Post
Hi all,

I am not allowed to post images into posts as of yet - but I uploaded the MB photos to my public album - so you you should be able to see them...

Long Live PolyAT!!!

John
Some pics I previously made when installing mine:

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsByJB View Post
Some pics I previously made when installing mine:
Perfect - thanks for posting these.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
nice to see the inside before opening. I have a faulty slider . someone know where to get new ones?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogbit View Post
nice to see the inside before opening. I have a faulty slider . someone know where to get new ones?
Attached the schematic and service manual, that should help you find out the specs of the current ones. Finding a replacement with similar specs probably isn't that difficult.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MIDIboard Repair Manual.zip (8.16 MB, 5 views)
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Dear John,

I have a midiboard (Suzuky keyboard and eprom v2.2 on the "large motherboard").
It would be a chance to contact M. Chamberlin to obtain the v3 or v3.1 eprom's.
Could you tell me how to do ?

I understood that 2 chips have to be installed in place of the v2.2 chip.
But what is "cut J1" ? I only see the "J8 chip receiver"...

Many thanks!
Sincerely,
Thomas.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi Helie -I just sent you a private message with Hal's email.

I don't have enough posts yet to post pictures. I created a Public Midiboard Album on this site. If you look at my profile, you should be able to see my albums. In there, it will show you a picture of the location of J3.

John
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search