The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sequencers with adjustable gate per step?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

sequencers with adjustable gate per step?

I just wonder if there are any kind of step sequencers that has adjustable gate length per step.

I have a korg sq1 and it has this option if you set it to 8 step mode (the lower 8 knobs then adjusts gate for all individual steps), now this incredibly powerful and completely bad ass.

is there either separate tabletop/rack seqs thats has this funtion or eurorack modular stuff that has adjustable gate length per step? and preferably with a knob for each step to keep it simple.

preferably 16 steps!!!!! yes 16. not 8. **** 8.

I can imagine cirklon does this. but other than that??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Roland MC-202… I think the MC-4 and MC-8 can do it too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Modcan Touch Sequencer can do it but only one knob.
EURO TOUCH SEQUENCER
I see.

Isn't there any more mainstream products that does this?

This feels kinda weird actually. yeah you can adjust notes/frequency but not gate length/duration, i mean isnt this really a very basic thing that shapes a sound? Why is that no mainstream makers apply this functionality?

btw love your vids jlr
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magimatician View Post
Roland MC-202… I think the MC-4 and MC-8 can do it too.
yeah the mc202 looks cool and functional. and kinda modern

and these 2. WOW just ****ing wow, now i understand how unpopular and unwanted this feature must be. do you get a separate fax machine and hole punch cards for these? lol

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The MonoTribe also does it. Doesn't send CV out only MIDI if you hack it up a bit.

Of course any sequencer that does real notes (like the MC range, Yamaha's QY range etc.) can do it. If you are talking about step sequencers the choice is a lot less.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm View Post
The MonoTribe also does it. Doesn't send CV out only MIDI if you hack it up a bit.

Of course any sequencer that does real notes (like the MC range, Yamaha's QY range etc.) can do it. If you are talking about step sequencers the choice is a lot less.
i see, gonna look into those.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Beatstep Pro?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
This feels kinda weird actually. yeah you can adjust notes/frequency but not gate length/duration, i mean isnt this really a very basic thing that shapes a sound? Why is that no mainstream makers apply this functionality?

btw love your vids jlr
Thanks for the kind words!

I think with probably most hardware sequencers, having control over gate length per step would make them too big and expensive, especially if you want real-time control?

On thing that can be done with pretty much any sequencer is to control the pulse width of an external VC LFO/clock with a row, so on every step you can set the pulse width you want. And using a VC EG can help if you dedicate another sequencer row or two to control decay and/or release times. Here's a quick demo of a test of this technique I tried a year ago or so (if you go to the actual Soundcloud page for it you can see a screen shot of what the timing looks like):

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
You can go nuts on the Elektrons

Btw... Never owned a seq that doesn't do this
Old 1 week ago
I know the Korg EMX-1 (I assume ESX-1 also) can have gate times set per step.

Minilogue and Monologue also have this option. You set it to a percentage by default but it can be edited afterwards per step.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Notron does it. Separate dedicated note length knob for each column of 16 plus easy way to set each step in each column. Set all 4 columns to the same MIDI channel and adjust each group of notes with the knobs.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Novation Circuit does this too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Doepfer Dark Time can do it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Zaquencer can do it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post

Function aside, that looks badass. Built like a brick ****house too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A better question might be what sequencers do NOT offer gate time per step?
Old 1 week ago
digital ears love analog

Electribe EA-1 should be a very cheap MIDI option. 2 mono tracks with adjustable gate length for each step and up to 4 bars.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Should it offer CV? Should it be stepping or just playing notes? Should it have sliders or rotating encoders per step?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Arturia Keystep. Simple sequencer but very cheapo imo.
Edit. You can adjust the gate for all steps not per step different gate.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Beatstep Pro?
Yep, Beatstep Pro has adjustable gate and velocity per step, with 64 steps. MIDI or CV.

Keystep does as well, but only in preset increments of 10, 25, 50, 75, and 90%.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I wonder if the OP means that the next step doesnt start playing until the previous Gate has finished ?
So Gate affects StepLength , not Note Length ?

whilst most sequencers have Gate length of Note per step , it doesnt affect the timing of subsequent steps .
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlus View Post
it does, very easy to use too!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlus View Post
It doesn't. You can only adjust note length from 1 to 16 steps, not shorten the gate time of a 16th note
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
The Engine midi sequencer can adjust gate time per step. Also I think the electribe 2.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspotgrooves View Post
it does, very easy to use too!
That's note length not gate time
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhertz View Post
I wonder if the OP means that the next step doesnt start playing until the previous Gate has finished ?
So Gate affects StepLength , not Note Length ?

whilst most sequencers have Gate length of Note per step , it doesnt affect the timing of subsequent steps .
I actually thought about just this. There are 2 ways you could go with gate length, either the 16 steps or so has a fixed total time or its completely free flowing kinda, depending on how long the gates are.

Either way will do for me to be honest. I just want some variation in the length of the sound for each step.

and originally i was thinking something like a beatstep non pro but just with 16 more encoders or pots. for the individual gates.

or maybe a twice as long sq1.

I started out looking for this in the eurorack format primarily. but it seems it may not exist. I like the looks of the stepper acid and sequencer 1, those looks very hands on. I like 1 knob/button per function, no layers, all clearly visible, no menus.

fwiw I have a metropolis on order. And it kinda does this. and so does the korg sq1, but i want 16 steps
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Sonicbytes ERA, if you want to go the VST route. Sonicbytes EST is the sampler/groovebox version of it, and all you need to create a track. Still the best sequencer on a computer by a long way if you ask me. Created my first track on EST.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search