The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
u-he RePro-5... is really happening!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

u-he RePro-5... is really happening!

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
8 voices... sounds kinda challenging on the CPU. Would be nice to know wether it runs on my old laptop. I guess a demo will be available to check it out.

Anyway, another most likely great addition to the virtual synth rack.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Well, there are buttons to enable high quality (HQ) mode, and multicore (MC). It will be manageable, I think.

Depends on how old your laptop is... But yeah, u-he always does demos.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Hubba Hubba! I'm so in love with Repro-1 right now, but yeah baby, it's an open relationship! ;D

Last edited by 24dB; 22nd April 2017 at 08:04 AM..
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

What famous songs will you play on it once they release the demo ?
Right now, i am thinking Robin of Sherwood soundtrack by Clannad.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
That was mostly DX7, as I recall...
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines View Post
That was mostly DX7, as I recall...
Prophet did most brass and there is some PPG too.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

My CPU just said the safe word.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
What famous songs will you play on it once they release the demo ?
The 'Happy Days' theme tune

I'm actually far more excited by this than I am by any of the hardware. I had a Prophet 5 for years and have never felt that anybody has nailed its sound. If one team stands a chance it's these guys.
Old 20th April 2017
great!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Looks tasty. Per voice distortion is a great idea for this poly synth. Hope that makes it in.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'll lob for it as part of the beta test crew
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut

Price?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Watch the video. It's not fully decided yet.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
The video indicated that CPU consumption will be comparable to RePro-1 as a result of stripping out the Jaws module. Also, Urs said on KVR recently that the HQ mode won't make an audible difference on most polyphonic patches. Plus multicore support was built in.

Sounds like this won't be a CPU killer at all, but not exactly a lightweight either.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Because you're about to peg it?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

So something like 149 for both Repro1 and repro 5? maybe intro price of 120? mmmm.

But I would also like to see the filter in Diva so it keeps growing. Maybe for ver2.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Finally!!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Will there be an intro price for RePro1 users?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah. Urs said it in the video.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
Will there be an intro price for RePro1 users?
They'll be bundled together. Urs said RePro-1 owners will be very, very, very happy so I'm thinking very low cost upgrade, or best case: free. I'm certain, from past comments and from U-he's other products, that it will be cheaper for existing users to upgrade than for new users to buy new. In short: if I didn't already own RePro-1, I'd buy it now!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
They'll be bundled together. Urs said RePro-1 owners will be very, very, very happy so I'm thinking very low cost upgrade, or best case: free. I'm certain, from past comments and from U-he's other products, that it will be cheaper for existing users to upgrade than for new users to buy new. In short: if I didn't already own RePro-1, I'd buy it now!
Even if it's not free, RePro-1 is such a great value and beautiful emulation, you should have it in your VST folder, anyway. Stop what you're doing and go buy it. Got it? Good. You're welcome.

I'm super excited about this. Urs really knows how to do this type of thing. Roland should take notes. Nail the vibe, but don't chain yourself to the original for dumb reasons. Arturia should also take notes, don't mess with extra features while the emulation falls short.

I'm equally... maybe more excited for Zebra updates. That thing is amazing.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Amazing, just what I'm looking for. The huge price bump on the Prophet-6 along with the 4-octave keyboard has ruled me out of that game for a while... I hope it interfaces well with their NKS support (NI controllers). True hardware control is the only thing missing in U-He land.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Amazing, just what I'm looking for. The huge price bump on the Prophet-6 along with the 4-octave keyboard has ruled me out of that game for a while... I hope it interfaces well with their NKS support (NI controllers). True hardware control is the only thing missing in U-He land.
As a Prophet 6 module owner, I can tell you that it's worth it if you can find on used in the $1500 range. For the sound, and the interface. Software will never really have that level of direct control, and even NKS stuff only shows you 8 knobs at a time, while the 6 has 46 knobs and 50 buttons. Almost more importantly than that is it will not cost you precious CPU cycles. You can pair the 6 module with any MIDI keyboard you want.

In a Pro 1 vs RePro-1 face off, there is a difference.

Sequential Circuits Pro-One vs U-He Repro-1 Software Synth Compared – Synthtopia

So, I imagine the differences will translate to the 5 as well. The differences are small, and arguably one may say it wouldn't matter, but I do find hardware tends to have a little more "life" in the sound. Oscillators are a bit brighter while retaining a pleasant sound. Things drift a bit more nicely. So, get the RePro-1/5, for sure, but save those dollars for a Prophet 6. You won't be disappointed. Also, note the 6 has a different sound than the 5, and while a lot of people here dismiss it as being worse, I really like it a lot. The filter opens up a lot farther and you can get some more extreme filter sweeps that the 5 can't do.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Hey @zerocrossing,

Unfortunately, the Prophet 6 is £2550 ($3264) in the UK at the moment, and the second hand ones now go for about £2000-2200 ($2559 - $2815). So it's just too much for something which is not 'perfect' to me. I also am more of a 'player' and really don't like modules (the module is really not very much cheaper, hardly worth it to me). I want to interact with a keyboard. Still, I really want a P6, but I can't afford/justify it. I sold three of my keyboards to help pay for it, but after the price just kept going up and up and the 4-octave thing and overall build quality bothered me a surprising amount on numerous store visits, I ended up spending the money on grown up responsible things instead (boo!)!

Also, I've already watched that RePro-1 vs Pro-1 demo a few times and was very impressed by the RePro-1. Bear in mind that while Starkey Carr is one of my favourite YouTube synth guys with the best comparison videos, the RePro-1 was not set to 'Pro-1 Oscillators' in the deeper settings, but to a 'clean' setting. I also work at 96KHz and not 44.1 (re: Urs' comments int he comments section... hopefully it's very CPU optimised!). So, it could be even closer!

So certainly; I want a Prophet 5/6 (I think the 'problem' with the 6 is that it's so much more versatile than the 5, it can cover a lot more ground so the sweetspot is smaller) - it's a REAL instrument and I really am not into plugins unless there is deep hardware control - but assuming the RePro-5 sounds convincingly like the Prophet-5, this will have to do for the time being!

Cheers,

Ed
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Oh man it sounds so good!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
In a Pro 1 vs RePro-1 face off, there is a difference.

Sequential Circuits Pro-One vs U-He Repro-1 Software Synth Compared – Synthtopia
I kinda skimmed through the long vid but 2 things I noticed.

1) He hasn't enabled HQ (High Quality) mode so you're not hearing it at its absolute best
2) Doesn't look like he accessed the Tweaks page, where you can change the oscillator waveform type from the default 'clean' to either 'P1' or 'P5' also you can adjust the filter type in there as well from Crispy to Rounded or Driven.
3) Some sections sounded bit different because of different settings. With a stronger sound designer type mind I think he woulda gotten even closer.

Not that I personally care if it emulates some old analog synth perfectly, I just love the sound of it.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Those pads sound delicious.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Unison at 1:05, wow!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search