The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
April 2017 New Gear Thread
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

April 2017 New Gear Thread

Let's see your new gear. Have revamped an old turntable to play my vinyl collection once again
Old 3 weeks ago
I pulled the trigger on some recording goodies earlier this afternoon, should be here within the week.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

new gear!

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's still March here, but I bought this Tascam 388 at lunch today. For anyone who is keeping score, this will be number 4.

I had one with one bad channel. Then my business partner thought it was sick, so I got him a minty one. Then I bought a ratty one for parts.
Then I fixed up the ratty one and decided not to use it for parts. Then he decided he didn't want his anymore and gave it to me (work trade). It wasn't working anymore so I fixed it. Then I fixed my very first one. I decided this is ****ing crazy because they are huge and decided to sell my very first one because it was only in average shape (this is after the prices go up 400-500%). I get not one, but two serious buyers and so I decided the money's great (it was) and sold my first one, and the minty one, and kept the ratty one. Then my singer decides he wants one, but I've already sold my spares...so I keep my eye out. This broken one showed up on Craigslist last night, and so here we are. Number 4.
Attached Thumbnails
April 2017 New Gear Thread-img_3642.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Alex Juno (xanderbeanz) sent me here:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post

I used to have one of these puppies! I was a great drum machine for its time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post

I credit him for mine as well. Persuasive son of a gun he is.
Enjoy that machine, it's full of fun!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
It's still March here, but I bought this Tascam 388 at lunch today. For anyone who is keeping score, this will be number 4.

I had one with one bad channel. Then my business partner thought it was sick, so I got him a minty one. Then I bought a ratty one for parts.
Then I fixed up the ratty one and decided not to use it for parts. Then he decided he didn't want his anymore and gave it to me (work trade). It wasn't working anymore so I fixed it. Then I fixed my very first one. I decided this is ****ing crazy because they are huge and decided to sell my very first one because it was only in average shape (this is after the prices go up 400-500%). I get not one, but two serious buyers and so I decided the money's great (it was) and sold my first one, and the minty one, and kept the ratty one. Then my singer decides he wants one, but I've already sold my spares...so I keep my eye out. This broken one showed up on Craigslist last night, and so here we are. Number 4.
Nice find! I hope you have a forklift in your house
Everytime these turn up in my region the asking price is always absurd beyond belief. This holds true for most any R2R I see on my craigslist lately even if it's some beat up old consumer model. I bit the bullet a little when I bought my Revox because it was in such good condition I couldn't find anything worth haggling over.
But those 388's are such good machines. The link in my signature goes to my old music from the early 90's which was recorded on a mix of 4 track cassette and 388. I love the sound of the songs from that machine. (tracks 4, 5, 6, 7, 12)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar View Post
new gear!

Awesome, I would love to grab a Jupiter-4 myself.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

New interface.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Nice find! I hope you have a forklift in your house
Everytime these turn up in my region the asking price is always absurd beyond belief. This holds true for most any R2R I see on my craigslist lately even if it's some beat up old consumer model. I bit the bullet a little when I bought my Revox because it was in such good condition I couldn't find anything worth haggling over.
But those 388's are such good machines. The link in my signature goes to my old music from the early 90's which was recorded on a mix of 4 track cassette and 388. I love the sound of the songs from that machine. (tracks 4, 5, 6, 7, 12)
Yeah they are heavy...I was able to manhandle it from the garage to the basement...and I've brought them up/down stairs before, with help...but that's no fun...

Yeah I mean the price of a good one is a bit high. I sold two last year for $1500, each. All of them I've purchased initially for $300, except for this one, was $400. There was one for $150 that was an hour away that I missed several years ago... They're so much more popular now than when I started...last issue Tape Op had Thee Oh Sees..with a 388 front and center in his studio. And I'm just like thinking the price on these just went up a few points...

I'm surprised how many have appeared in town over the years.

None of them have had major problems...I am no technician but I know enough to get into trouble...usually all these need is alignment, a belt, some tlc... I wonder how many of these have been trashed or scrapped for minor problems like this. The guy I bought from was ready to part it out, and I really don't think that's gonna be necessary.

I love the sound, and the engineering in these machines. So logical to work on, great UI...
Attached Thumbnails
April 2017 New Gear Thread-img_3644.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I pulled the trigger on some recording goodies earlier this afternoon, should be here within the week.
You and I are on the same wave length this month

I too made an outboard recording gear acquisition. Can't wait for it to get here. Actually, if I don't count my modular system as a single purchase, then this new bit of outboard gear is the single biggest studio related purchase that I've ever made. Now to sell some stuff to offset some of the costs
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A bit drastic for me but sold the GRP A4, Omega 8, Vermona perfourmer, Modal 002, and got me a Schmidt:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
A bit drastic for me but sold the GRP A4, Omega 8, Vermona perfourmer, Modal 002, and got me a Schmidt
congrats!
how do you find it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
congrats!
how do you find it?
I look in every corner on every room.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I look in every corner on every room.
i tried that a few times my self, but still haven't found the SCHMIDT in my studio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A bit drastic for me but sold the GRP A4, Omega 8, Vermona perfourmer, Modal 002, and got me a Schmidt:

Lovely stuff, we hope to get a demo soon!

(I hope it's not an April Fool's joke, heh? )
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Lovely stuff, we hope to get a demo soon!

(I hope it's not an April Fool's joke, heh? )
Oh no! I think I got fooled.

I'm deleting my previous post.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vintage MS 20. Finally.
Old 3 weeks ago
Received them last week... had the JU, got the other 2.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Oh no! I think I got fooled.

I'm deleting my previous post.
I honestly believed @zahush76
Thought it could be understandable slimming down a whole set up for just 1 mega synth.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Couldn't resist this.....

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Finally after 20 odd years of lusting for a set of Genelec's..

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Finally after 20 odd years of lusting for a set of Genelec's..

Very nice!

How do you like them? A monitor overhaul will be next on my agenda.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

So far I like them a lot, they seem a lot more balanced across all freqs than the JBL's the JBL's were a bit nicer to listen to but these are just super balanced and kinda flat. They are loud beyond belief, my god they are loud, I was shocked how loud these things can go.. these will be monitors forever now finally I got that goal out of the way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 View Post
Received them last week... had the JU, got the other 2.

Now don't go recording anything with them, ok?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
these will be monitors forever now finally I got that goal out of the way.
Famous last words
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Famous last words
nah with monitors I fully understand how they need to be kept so you grow to know them and can understand how to work with them long term. I've read some people can use any cheapo monitors and they can put great stuff and I always wondered what that was about and didn't understand it but I now realise it's all about understanding and knowing your monitors intimately, you wouldn't get that by swapping them out too often I don't think..
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search