The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Old 4 days ago
  #1891
Here for the gear
 

After reading all of the thread, and looking at what features others do or don't want to see added (assuming this product does actually manifest), I figured I might as well put my two cents in.

1. The proposed format seems fine; desktop with the ability to fit into a Eurorack case. It looks like it's wide enough that it could also fit in a 19" rack, if ears are included.

2. MIDI and USB jack placement: I don't really have a major preference, but having them on the back is probably better. Or, possibly put the MIDI jack on the rear and leave the USB jack on the front.

3. CV I/O: A complete set of patch points would be preferable, but if that isn't doable for the size of the unit (or the price point), it would be great to have some sort of breakout box that could be attached, and either used on the desktop or placed into a Eurorack case.

4. Preset storage/recall: It doesn't really matter much to me, but it does to others. If adding it would push the price up significantly, then I would suggest not doing it.

5. General appearance: The layout of the controls is fine, but I don't really care for the color scheme. I think something more akin to the look of the DeepMind 12 would be more appealing. The style of knobs is fine, though.

6. Effects: Effects are nice, but they aren't absolutely necessary. The effects from the DeepMind would be nice, considering they can be modulated, but as with other features, there has to be a point where too many goodies bumps the price up. The effects might also make a good standalone unit, especially if it had a nice compliment of CV I/O jacks.

That's all I can really think of. If the product does make it into production, I'll check it out and decide then if I'll buy it or not.
Old 4 days ago
  #1892
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docatlas View Post
3. CV I/O: A complete set of patch points would be preferable, but if that isn't doable for the size of the unit (or the price point), it would be great to have some sort of breakout box that could be attached, and either used on the desktop or placed into a Eurorack case.
Assuming there is no space on the box or that adding patch points add too much to the price, I love the idea of an expantion box that can be bought after and connected to the synth with a ribbon connector. That gives options, adressing the different types of customer. I have no idea if it's doable though or if it's cost effective.
Old 4 days ago
  #1893
Lives for gear
 

I'll give my 2 cents for my personal opinion...

1. Seems a very cool synth idea for the price point.

2. I'm not sure if it is for me, why? 1 reason - lack of patch save. So far I haven't made much use of my MS20 Mini or Retrowave synths, I also bought and sold Karp Odyssey and Minibrute - I seem to favour synths with patch save, I use my Mopho SE and Bass Station II everytime, the non preset VCO Mono's don't get much use, stupid I know - but I like to be able to save my patches and use them/tweak them when I need them. Maybe my mindset needs to change - cannot believe I sold the Karp, but I did because I didn't use it enough...?
Old 4 days ago
  #1894
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I've always wanted a Mini Moog, when the reissue was released I actually said to myself I was going to buy one, that turned out to be pure fantasy as i realized i would A: have to sell half of my studio to obtain it or B: save for two years and then feel very guilty about spending 5K on something for myself instead of the family. When you have a family, hobbies have to be realized as affordable and liquid, the Behringer D is both. Now I will be able to have that dream synth and not break the bank, and not take something away from the family, this is my reality and I have to live it, everyone is different, but this is my reasons for wanting this great project to go ahead.
Old 4 days ago
  #1895
Lives for gear
 
goony's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I've always wanted a Mini Moog, when the reissue was released I actually said to myself I was going to buy one, that turned out to be pure fantasy as i realized i would A: have to sell half of my studio to obtain it or B: save for two years and then feel very guilty about spending 5K on something for myself instead of the family. When you have a family, hobbies have to be realized as affordable and liquid, the Behringer D is both. Now I will be able to have that dream synth and not break the bank, and not take something away from the family, this is my reality and I have to live it, everyone is different, but this is my reasons for wanting this great project to go ahead.
My sentiments exactly...
Old 4 days ago
  #1896
Here for the gear
 
SSM2030's Avatar
 

hmm maybe wait and see how this turns out first. Its not like it will be exactly like a real Minimoog but cheaper
Old 4 days ago
  #1897
Gear Head
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
hmm maybe wait and see how this turns out first. Its not like it will be exactly like a real Minimoog but cheaper
Nothing is like a real Minimoog Today, nobody ever use this strange Tropical Fish.Capacitors
Old 4 days ago
  #1898
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
Nothing is like a real Minimoog Today, nobody ever use this strange Tropical Fish.Capacitors
They sure are pretty but were never that great.

Edit: was talking about the capacitors not the synth...

Old 4 days ago
  #1899
Gear Head
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringodyssey View Post
They sure are pretty but were never that great.
i don’t mean.. older was better...more... today is the """""real""""" mini sound total over-hyped..
to much myth and fanatics.. lol..
a butcher tell me, meat with a myth sells better, that’s truth
Old 4 days ago
  #1900
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
wut
Old 3 days ago
  #1901
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
i don’t mean.. older was better...more... today is the """""real""""" mini sound total over-hyped..
to much myth and fanatics.. lol..
a butcher tell me, meat with a myth sells better, that’s truth
Placebo or an unverifiable difference at best. For clinical terms.
Old 3 days ago
  #1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
2. I'm not sure if it is for me, why? 1 reason - lack of patch save. So far I haven't made much use of my MS20 Mini or Retrowave synths, I also bought and sold Karp Odyssey and Minibrute - I seem to favour synths with patch save, I use my Mopho SE and Bass Station II everytime, the non preset VCO Mono's don't get much use, stupid I know - but I like to be able to save my patches and use them/tweak them when I need them. Maybe my mindset needs to change - cannot believe I sold the Karp, but I did because I didn't use it enough...?
You are not alone... I won't buy a synth that does not have patch saving in some form. If the patches cannot be saved on the synth, then at least have the capability available through an editor. I switch between current projects often and can't manually patch synths each time.
Old 3 days ago
  #1903
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayersweb View Post
You are not alone... I won't buy a synth that does not have patch saving in some form. If the patches cannot be saved on the synth, then at least have the capability available through an editor. I switch between current projects often and can't manually patch synths each time.
The extensive MIDI implementation provides the potential for external saving. Whether or not the knobs are strictly Voltage based potentiometers or whether a the compromise exists will determine if that is possible; a module format suggests a compromise but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 3 days ago
  #1904
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
@ Discopotato I see your gear list you use reason 9, how is it compared to say version 7..? I'm thinking to make the jump soon as I want to be able to try out these new rack extensions they are going on about but feel I may lose a lot of the simplicity of V7.. can you still detach all the windows from each other to space out across dual monitors and can the browser they've implemented now can that be hidden or detached also..?

sorry for slight sidetrack.
Old 3 days ago
  #1905
Here for the gear
 
SSM2030's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Placebo or an unverifiable difference at best. For clinical terms.
and of course you guys have owned one or else you would have no idea what you're talking about, and that would be the first time on internet
Old 3 days ago
  #1906
Gear Addict
 
MesS!eR35's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
i don’t mean.. older was better...more... today is the """""real""""" mini sound total over-hyped..
to much myth and fanatics.. lol..
a butcher tell me, meat with a myth sells better, that’s truth
after some touching stories here about families and cute safe hobby, I have finally realized why all that musical instruments comparisons with cars and meat
Old 3 days ago
  #1907
Lives for gear
 
El-Burrito's Avatar
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Why wouldn't it be?

All synths are good idea
Old 3 days ago
  #1908
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Why wouldn't it be?

All synths are good idea
Exception to the rule: timbre wooooooooooooolfe
Old 3 days ago
  #1909
Gear Head
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringodyssey View Post
They sure are pretty but were never that great.

Edit: was talking about the capacitors not the synth...

For Friends of high ESR :P high is better than low... uahaha..
Old 3 days ago
  #1910
Gear Head
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!eR35 View Post
after some touching stories here about families and cute safe hobby, I have finally realized why all that musical instruments comparisons with cars and meat
I have a Mustangmoog , more Horsepower... :D
Old 3 days ago
  #1911
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
For years people wanted these chips back but only when they heard about Behringers plan they brought these chips back. I dont know really Im glad they are coming back anyway.
correction, Music Group (aka Behringer) is producing most of these clones themselves it seems.
Old 3 days ago
  #1912
Here for the gear
 
SSM2030's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
correction, Music Group (aka Behringer) is producing most of these clones themselves it seems.
Thats what I was saying. Onchip remanufactured the chips only because Behringer started to clone them
Old 3 days ago
  #1913
Gear Head
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
Thats what I was saying. Onchip remanufactured the chips only because Behringer started to clone them
who is Onchip , today nobody
Old 3 days ago
  #1914
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
and of course you guys have owned one or else you would have no idea what you're talking about, and that would be the first time on internet
I was mostly rephrasing the quoted statement.

But if you can point me to a peer-reviewed study or a double-blind clinical trial I couldn't find one here:

https://clinicaltrials.gov
Old 3 days ago
  #1915
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatB View Post
Assuming there is no space on the box or that adding patch points add too much to the price, I love the idea of an expantion box that can be bought after and connected to the synth with a ribbon connector. That gives options, adressing the different types of customer. I have no idea if it's doable though or if it's cost effective.
Yes, yes and yes! I mentioned this feature before. The most elegant solution is to have a DB25 connector like what Vernoma did on their Mono Lancet. Then connect a breakout patch box to it via DB25 and that's it. It couldn't be more practical and really, in today's world, why make an analogue synth that is not expandable like this? I think every synth should have this option, really. Those who don't care about patching, they'll buy the module only. No problem. But for patch freaks there should be this sexy upright patching box (think Analogue Solutions Nyborg format) with most parameters able for patching, a mixer or two, a multiple or two and a CV attenuator or two Come on Behringer, do it, it would bring Minimoog to another level. Just don't do it eurorack exclusive. It should be standalone, but compatible with eurorack.
Alternatively, make the patch box the same format and offer a rack to mount them both together, like Moog Mother 32.
Old 3 days ago
  #1916
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
@ Discopotato I see your gear list you use reason 9, how is it compared to say version 7..? I'm thinking to make the jump soon as I want to be able to try out these new rack extensions they are going on about but feel I may lose a lot of the simplicity of V7.. can you still detach all the windows from each other to space out across dual monitors and can the browser they've implemented now can that be hidden or detached also..?

sorry for slight sidetrack.
It's mostly the same as 7 the windows still detach I think the browser might be the stuck to the main window I'll check on it later today. Does 7 have the updated reverb with the convolution setting? because that sounds pretty good too and I want to say the Pulsar dual LFO is free with the upgrade to 9. I've heard good things about the Decimort 2 and of course the Synapse Audio The Legend that everyone is talking about.
Old 3 days ago
  #1917
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

The 2 Moogs that most people want and Moog aren't making are a poly and something that has Model D sound with Voyager features.
Old 3 days ago
  #1918
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavoyager View Post
Yes, yes and yes! I mentioned this feature before. The most elegant solution is to have a DB25 connector like what Vernoma did on their Mono Lancet. Then connect a breakout patch box to it via DB25 and that's it. It couldn't be more practical and really, in today's world, why make an analogue synth that is not expandable like this? I think every synth should have this option, really. Those who don't care about patching, they'll buy the module only. No problem. But for patch freaks there should be this sexy upright patching box (think Analogue Solutions Nyborg format) with most parameters able for patching, a mixer or two, a multiple or two and a CV attenuator or two Come on Behringer, do it, it would bring Minimoog to another level. Just don't do it eurorack exclusive. It should be standalone, but compatible with eurorack.
Alternatively, make the patch box the same format and offer a rack to mount them both together, like Moog Mother 32.
The image I had was something similar to the pittsburgh modular 10.1, or a Mother32 But I like the idea of the Nyborg, or Telemark without keyboard
Old 3 days ago
  #1919
Lives for gear
 
Mr Knoch's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
The 2 Moogs that most people want and Moog aren't making are a poly and something that has Model D sound with Voyager features.
I would agree. Moog will probably never go poly again. Maybe this could be the beginning of plans for an updated poly Moog; say, with 8 or more voices. That would be a wall shaker.
Old 3 days ago
  #1920
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
How much would a polyphonic Moog cost these days..8K min..?
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump