The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Old 21st March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
2. I'm not sure if it is for me, why? 1 reason - lack of patch save. So far I haven't made much use of my MS20 Mini or Retrowave synths, I also bought and sold Karp Odyssey and Minibrute - I seem to favour synths with patch save, I use my Mopho SE and Bass Station II everytime, the non preset VCO Mono's don't get much use, stupid I know - but I like to be able to save my patches and use them/tweak them when I need them. Maybe my mindset needs to change - cannot believe I sold the Karp, but I did because I didn't use it enough...?
You are not alone... I won't buy a synth that does not have patch saving in some form. If the patches cannot be saved on the synth, then at least have the capability available through an editor. I switch between current projects often and can't manually patch synths each time.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayersweb View Post
You are not alone... I won't buy a synth that does not have patch saving in some form. If the patches cannot be saved on the synth, then at least have the capability available through an editor. I switch between current projects often and can't manually patch synths each time.
The extensive MIDI implementation provides the potential for external saving. Whether or not the knobs are strictly Voltage based potentiometers or whether a the compromise exists will determine if that is possible; a module format suggests a compromise but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Guru

@ Discopotato I see your gear list you use reason 9, how is it compared to say version 7..? I'm thinking to make the jump soon as I want to be able to try out these new rack extensions they are going on about but feel I may lose a lot of the simplicity of V7.. can you still detach all the windows from each other to space out across dual monitors and can the browser they've implemented now can that be hidden or detached also..?

sorry for slight sidetrack.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Placebo or an unverifiable difference at best. For clinical terms.
and of course you guys have owned one or else you would have no idea what you're talking about, and that would be the first time on internet
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
i don’t mean.. older was better...more... today is the """""real""""" mini sound total over-hyped..
to much myth and fanatics.. lol..
a butcher tell me, meat with a myth sells better, that’s truth
after some touching stories here about families and cute safe hobby, I have finally realized why all that musical instruments comparisons with cars and meat
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Why wouldn't it be?

All synths are good idea
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Why wouldn't it be?

All synths are good idea
Exception to the rule: timbre wooooooooooooolfe
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330128 View Post
They sure are pretty but were never that great.

Edit: was talking about the capacitors not the synth...

For Friends of high ESR :P high is better than low... uahaha..
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!eR35 View Post
after some touching stories here about families and cute safe hobby, I have finally realized why all that musical instruments comparisons with cars and meat
I have a Mustangmoog , more Horsepower... :D
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
For years people wanted these chips back but only when they heard about Behringers plan they brought these chips back. I dont know really Im glad they are coming back anyway.
correction, Music Group (aka Behringer) is producing most of these clones themselves it seems.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
correction, Music Group (aka Behringer) is producing most of these clones themselves it seems.
Thats what I was saying. Onchip remanufactured the chips only because Behringer started to clone them
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thats what I was saying. Onchip remanufactured the chips only because Behringer started to clone them
who is Onchip , today nobody
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
and of course you guys have owned one or else you would have no idea what you're talking about, and that would be the first time on internet
I was mostly rephrasing the quoted statement.

But if you can point me to a peer-reviewed study or a double-blind clinical trial I couldn't find one here:

https://clinicaltrials.gov
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatB View Post
Assuming there is no space on the box or that adding patch points add too much to the price, I love the idea of an expantion box that can be bought after and connected to the synth with a ribbon connector. That gives options, adressing the different types of customer. I have no idea if it's doable though or if it's cost effective.
Yes, yes and yes! I mentioned this feature before. The most elegant solution is to have a DB25 connector like what Vernoma did on their Mono Lancet. Then connect a breakout patch box to it via DB25 and that's it. It couldn't be more practical and really, in today's world, why make an analogue synth that is not expandable like this? I think every synth should have this option, really. Those who don't care about patching, they'll buy the module only. No problem. But for patch freaks there should be this sexy upright patching box (think Analogue Solutions Nyborg format) with most parameters able for patching, a mixer or two, a multiple or two and a CV attenuator or two Come on Behringer, do it, it would bring Minimoog to another level. Just don't do it eurorack exclusive. It should be standalone, but compatible with eurorack.
Alternatively, make the patch box the same format and offer a rack to mount them both together, like Moog Mother 32.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
@ Discopotato I see your gear list you use reason 9, how is it compared to say version 7..? I'm thinking to make the jump soon as I want to be able to try out these new rack extensions they are going on about but feel I may lose a lot of the simplicity of V7.. can you still detach all the windows from each other to space out across dual monitors and can the browser they've implemented now can that be hidden or detached also..?

sorry for slight sidetrack.
It's mostly the same as 7 the windows still detach I think the browser might be the stuck to the main window I'll check on it later today. Does 7 have the updated reverb with the convolution setting? because that sounds pretty good too and I want to say the Pulsar dual LFO is free with the upgrade to 9. I've heard good things about the Decimort 2 and of course the Synapse Audio The Legend that everyone is talking about.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

The 2 Moogs that most people want and Moog aren't making are a poly and something that has Model D sound with Voyager features.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavoyager View Post
Yes, yes and yes! I mentioned this feature before. The most elegant solution is to have a DB25 connector like what Vernoma did on their Mono Lancet. Then connect a breakout patch box to it via DB25 and that's it. It couldn't be more practical and really, in today's world, why make an analogue synth that is not expandable like this? I think every synth should have this option, really. Those who don't care about patching, they'll buy the module only. No problem. But for patch freaks there should be this sexy upright patching box (think Analogue Solutions Nyborg format) with most parameters able for patching, a mixer or two, a multiple or two and a CV attenuator or two Come on Behringer, do it, it would bring Minimoog to another level. Just don't do it eurorack exclusive. It should be standalone, but compatible with eurorack.
Alternatively, make the patch box the same format and offer a rack to mount them both together, like Moog Mother 32.
The image I had was something similar to the pittsburgh modular 10.1, or a Mother32 But I like the idea of the Nyborg, or Telemark without keyboard
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
The 2 Moogs that most people want and Moog aren't making are a poly and something that has Model D sound with Voyager features.
I would agree. Moog will probably never go poly again. Maybe this could be the beginning of plans for an updated poly Moog; say, with 8 or more voices. That would be a wall shaker.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Guru

How much would a polyphonic Moog cost these days..8K min..?
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Surely not for a Behringer version ?
Regardless, I think it would depend on the design.You could have got 8 slim phatties in a polychain for less than that.
Old 21st March 2017
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
80k and limited for the inner circle
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Nut

To Behringer, of course if you meet your goal and sound really like a Model D for the price advertized, your set. But if reality sets in and you move away from this goal I think a benchmark can help. For me, especially if you dont have the possibility of saved patches, which is a big minus for me, one benchmark (aside other Moogs) would be the Analogue Solutions Leipzig. With videos like that (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KEdj4A818XU), again if you beat it features or price wise you're set as far as I'm concerned
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The old Memorymoogs are going for between 5 and 9 thousand US. The slim phattys are going for about $600 each so for a six voice poly chained moog you're looking at $3600 at least. Add another $300 if you want the little phatty so you could have a keyboard to play it from. So, what, about 4 thousand US. I bet Uli could knock about $2500 off that price. What do you think?
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Addict

No, please no expansion boxes. Just put the freaking CV in/on it in the first place. Making it Euro without them is ridiculous.
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
The old Memorymoogs are going for between 5 and 9 thousand US. The slim phattys are going for about $600 each so for a six voice poly chained moog you're looking at $3600 at least. Add another $300 if you want the little phatty so you could have a keyboard to play it from. So, what, about 4 thousand US. I bet Uli could knock about $2500 off that price. What do you think?
Well I only ever think in AUS dollars so a slim phatty here is $1200 maybe $800 second hand, so 8 times $1200 = $9600

Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I only ever think in AUS dollars so a slim phatty here is $1200 maybe $800 second hand, so 8 times $1200 = $9600

You poor fellahs down under! Man, your gear is expensive. I saw in that other thread the Australian guy paid 1450 for the Karp. I know I wouldn't be able to afford any of my gear down there.
Old 22nd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
You poor fellahs down under! Man, your gear is expensive. I saw in that other thread the Australian guy paid 1450 for the Karp. I know I wouldn't be able to afford any of my gear down there.
Guilty.

It's not too bad really.

An entry level full time job with no experience can earn close to that figure in one week. The cost of living is close to NYC high but there is still a lot of nice places to live for reasonably low cost. The major cities will drain your money quite quickly.

I wouldn't move for cheaper gear that's for sure.

My apologies for derailing. Luv u all.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guilty.

It's not too bad really.

An entry level full time job with no experience can earn close to that figure in one week. The cost of living is close to NYC high but there is still a lot of nice places to live for reasonably low cost. The major cities will drain your money quite quickly.

Damn bro, what industry are you in? Wages in hospo have been almost competely stgnant for the last 20 years.

sry, off topic. behringer yay.
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Guilty.

It's not too bad really.

turnit up..!!

that's my take home fortnightly, what jobs are you talking about..?
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search