The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Old 9th March 2017
I like synths that have a colorful back lighting like the Electric Blue. The light is not over bearing but pleasing to the eyes. You should be able to see the knobs when the lights are out or very dim.

If the lighting is customizable to diffent hues, even better.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley View Post
Personally I would much rather see an updated version of the Alesis A6 or a polyphonic mega version of the Voyager, especially if there were rack/desktop versions available
Yes... this is more in my area of interest. But, there is obviously a ton of interest in this product. So, maybe in the future... we can hope!
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I would be very surprised if this in the 400 bucks synth.
I prefer no MIDI to horribly steppy 7-bit MIDI or laggy interpolated MIDI, but that may be just me.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

OMG an affordable concept is posted and already people complain or want more and more and more features
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayersweb View Post
<deleted by moderator - let's stick to the topic please?>
I was being serious. I deleted my post, but I find it odd that someone can claim something is exceptional when it doesn't even exist yet.

How does he know the oscillators won't sound like kazoos?

Last edited by Reptil; 9th March 2017 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: -
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Actually, how could you chain 4 of these together and have them sound the same without the ability to send all values to each? You would need to adjust every single control on the master to get the slaves to line up.

Yes, I was not asking for an arp, just mentioning that the Slim (that I already have) has some additional features.

Why the low/high main outputs? Is it line level vs instrument level or something like that?
Indeed you have a point, still could be achieved analog style I guess (not sure) but you will need a large multicable...So digital seems more likely, so I guess it should be possible then...
The original Minimoog D had this feature, mostly used by people to feed the output back in the external input to be able to overload it a bit and get an even warmer sound
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Shameful stuff.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Shameful stuff.
why?
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Addict
I agree with Uli, no need to put in steroids or other shenanigans. Plain and simple without keys, we all have fine fatar and what not keys in our, even at home studios. Minimoog has not been cloned affordably, this would be a huge seller. Where can i preorder?
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Actually, how could you chain 4 of these together and have them sound the same without the ability to send all values to each? You would need to adjust every single control on the master to get the slaves to line up.

Yes, I was not asking for an arp, just mentioning that the Slim (that I already have) has some additional features.

Why the low/high main outputs? Is it line level vs instrument level or something like that?
I think this is so you could patch it directly through a modular without the need for a preamp, this is a fantastic idea imo...so many people ask over at Muffs how do get line level to modular, it's one of the most asked questions..this solves that.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
I'm not sure why they'd even bother on working within the constraints of Eurorack for this. With so few patch points, it looks to be one of the least interesting (and most power hungry?) solutions for Eurorack ever conceived.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
This is a first draft of our "D" Synth with a proposed feature set below.

Our goal is to design in a Poly Chain feature that allows combining up to 16 synths through Midi.

Depending on the feedback we will then decide if we move further and build a first prototype.

Our targeted retail price is around US$ 400.

Analog Synthesizer with 3 VCOs, 24 dB Ladder Filter, LFO, 16-Voice Poly Chain and Eurorack Format

1. Analog synthesizer with triple VCO design
2. Reproduction of original “D Type” with matched transistors and JFETs
3. 0.1% Thin Film resistors and Polyphenyline Sulphide capacitors for frequency stability
4. Analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
5. 5 variable oscillator shapes with pulse width variation
6. Classic 24 dB ladder filter with resonance
7. Fully analog triangle/square wave LFO
8. Switchable low/high pass filter mode
9. 16-voice Midi Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16-voice polyphony
10. Overdrive circuit
11. Noise generator
12. Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
13. 46 controls for real-time access of all important parameters
14. External audio input for processing external sound sources
15. Low and high level outputs
16. Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
17. 3-Year Warranty Program

Uli
I'm actually pretty disappointed in this. I was hoping that your take on a Model D would have been what the DeepMind12 was to the Juno 106, i.e. new features and stylings which bring its capabilities above and beyond the original. Even patch storage and/or a built in step sequencer would have been nice embellishments for this product. Then again, I'm not the target audience with this product, so I'll be passing on this one. I do look forward to some more forward thinking products, more in line with what you did with the DeepMind12, though.
Old 9th March 2017
At $400...brilliant.

If this is the first in a range Id better buy more racks or tables. Love my Slim Phatty, I hope this can expand on it.

Im not affiliated to behringer in any way but if you send me free stuff Ill change my username to Chelsea and write fake reviews on tinder!?
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Does it come with rack ears? I assume this is 19" wide
I believe 19" inch racks (like TipTop's Happy Ending kit) are 84hp, correct?
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear

Please please please make this happen, when can I preorder?
Tabletop affordable D would be perfect, as the reissue is out of my current price range.

Quote:

Our goal is to design in a Poly Chain feature that allows combining up to 16 synths through Midi.

Depending on the feedback we will then decide if we move further and build a first prototype.

Analog Synthesizer with 3 VCOs, 24 dB Ladder Filter, LFO, 16-Voice Poly Chain and Eurorack Format

3. 0.1% Thin Film resistors and Polyphenyline Sulphide capacitors for frequency stability
9. 16-voice Midi Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16-voice polyphony
10. Overdrive circuit
11. Noise generator
12. Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
16. Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection

Uli
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Head

As an owner of Slim Phatty (love it!) firstly I found this idea of making a Minimoog clone blasphemous but when I have seen the $400 estimated price tag I have to admit that I definitely will buy at least one of those because it's 10 (!!!) times cheaper than the original Minimoog.

If it will be close to the original Moog sound, I think they will sell a hell of a lot of these units.

And all this makes me think whether the Moog is way overpricing their products. I know it's a small company and I support them but... still.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Head

@uli

If you want this to be taken on board by the eurorack world then I would highly suggest giving the vast majority of parameters on there CV input/outs too.

I would definitely be more interested if it had built in effects like on the DM12, I understand you want to make an almost authentic reproduction for the budget end of the market but there is no reason to avoid adding your own touches. I am sure many here would love to see more cv control, not everyone who uses modular use midi to drive it. Same goes for effects, those who use them no doubt already have a floorboard full of effects and would rather not have to buy more. So the inclusion of effects would be a big plus.
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear

my thoughts:
  • For the Eurorack users a few patch points would be great: Buy two and wire up a monster synth with 6 OSCs, 2 filters, 2 LFOs, 4 envelopes.
  • Polychain is a great business move because people will buy 2,4 or 8 of these. It will only work in a meaningful way though if parameters are passed on to the chained units and the oscillators are kept in tune automatically. This likely requires digital control, so why not include preset saving?
  • Paraphony should be easy to include and very helpful for 3 note chords (6 note chords with two units..)
  • I don't think copying the exact colors, labels, fonts, etc is a good idea.
Old 9th March 2017
I've been wanting a MacBeth Micromac-R for a long time, but they're impossible to get. This might help with that GAS.

Pete
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

My interest is piqued. If this can nail the Model D sound, and if it will fit in a 19" rack, I'd be interested in picking up multiples just to build a poly.

It definitely needs more patch points to be taken seriously with modular tho. As it looks now, it wouldn't be worth sacrificing eurorack space to fit this in.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

to make a eurorack module without more patching possibilities neglects the advantages of the format. they should try to be inspired by the minimoog the same way they were with the juno-106 when making the deepmind. there's already the successful example of intellijel using the sh-101 as inspiration for the atlantis.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyham View Post
to make a eurorack module without more patching possibilities neglects the advantages of the format. they should try to be inspired by the minimoog the same way they were with the juno-106 when making the deepmind. there's already the successful example of intellijel using the sh-101 as inspiration for the atlantis.
I think this module will evolve a bit yet, as ideas get tossed around those that are worth including might get included, more CV control is deffo something I'd like to see as well, but apart from that I'm down with everything else. Not interested in effects or presets, keeping the cost down and having a great sound and simple UI is the key.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear
Do it Uli, you will sell boat loads of these things. Im game if you can nail the sound.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by interruptor View Post
my thoughts:
  • I don't think copying the exact colors, labels, fonts, etc is a good idea.
+1 on knobs & colors

Since it doesnt provide a sample & hold waveform for the "only" LFO,
it's surely no synth for me, but it possibly could sell like warm bread.

Mixed emotions here, tbh
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Nut
For the record, I currently own (purchased new)

Sub 37
2 slim phatty's
Minataur
Mother 32
5 Moogerfoogers
4 Minifoogers

I would most definitely purchase this if it sounds good and is reliable.
I certainly can't justify the price of the Model D reissue and am not convinced that this either takes anything away from that, or will stop those that were going to purchase the reissue from doing so.
At the end of the day if I could justify the cost, I would purchase the reissue over any reproduction from another company, but that is not the case.
This is just my personal opinion and realise it will not be the same as everyone else.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Yes yes yes yes !!!!! Please !!!!! Build it !!!!!!!
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

10. Overdrive circuit
11. Noise generator

Uli
BOOM

can you add something in the circuit to reduce the bass rolloff when resonance is applied? i know it's normal for 24dB filters but it's annoying sometimes.

a couple more patch points would be really nice - in and outs that is, sample n hold lfo option too please
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Head

@uli Whilst you are at it, stick a random cv/S&H on there. And maybe an arpeggio function There's plenty of empty space on there and those of us with Euro do like to have a good few options in an all in one unit.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Please Uli consider a complete midi implementation for all parameters, and 14BIT please. Stepping is very ugly.
Old 9th March 2017
If i could say I agree on the knobs, switch colours, and form factor.

I think it would be much cooler( and prolly cost less to manufacture) if you had a similar theme through all your new desktops. I actually dislike form over function, vintage GUIs etc. id like presets, I have a few non preset machines, I really like them...but in down time its those with presets that get played with.

Anyway, $400 comes just in my impulse buy range so ill be like pokeman
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search