The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringodyssey View Post
I respect what you have to say Jamie but Uli said just that both in video interview and posts.
Wow really? I must watch, I was only looking at his text replies in this thread and I've not seen that said, I've not even seen something that could be sensibly interpreted as it.

saying it's got an xxx amount worth of parts and saying the unit is only worth that much are two different things we are in agreement here?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Wow really? I must watch, I was only looking at his text replies in this thread and I've not seen that said, I've not even seen something that could be sensibly interpreted as it.

saying it's got an xxx amount worth of parts and saying the units only worth that much are two different things.
Ok yes that is different and was not said. That would be a weird thing to say. I cannot tell a lie!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch101 View Post
If this happens it will just make the synth market a bit more like the guitar market. It seems to work fine there, people still buy fender telecasters and random brand X telecasters.
this just got posted to reverb about guitar economics
https://reverb.com/news/guitaronomic...&utm_medium=FB
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch101 View Post
If this happens it will just make the synth market a bit more like the guitar market. It seems to work fine there, people still buy fender telecasters and random brand X telecasters.

of course it's fine, just a few fanboys want to scream and jump up and down tell us how cool they are that support a particular brand, boring...

Behringer is going to stimulate the synth market like never before, finally we will be getting all sorts of new pricing and gear available to us all, and from all the other makers. Music gear isn't just for a few elite boys wearing Moog t/shirts, it's for everyone everywhere..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok yes that is different and was not said. That would be a weird thing to say. I cannot tell a lie!
Ah good in the end, thanks as that's what I picked up on it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hodgson View Post
The person who shelled out for the rights to the Moog name was, ironically, Robert Moog.

He reacquired the rights to use the name in 2002, and renamed his company Big Briar to Moog Music, he remained with the company until his death in 2005.

It's now moving towards being 49% employee owned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/a...trol.html?_r=0

Sounds like a nice place to work.
They aren't going to hire me (for good reason) and have yet to provide a NEW product I can justify purchasing. A 49% share is not a majority share BUT the employees will get a piece if the majority shareholder decides to sell. If you have the resources to consider employee happiness before making a purchase, then more power to you; I can't.

Difference of personal context; I can agree with that without a further paragraph.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

for those looking:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Frankly, I never understood why someone would charge you US$ 4,000 for a MiniMoog, when the components just cost around US$ 200.
from this post https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12472785-post87.html
in the "What synths should Behringer make next?" thread last week.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
They aren't going to hire me (for good reason) and have yet to provide a NEW product I can justify purchasing. A 49% share is not a majority share BUT the employees will get a piece if the majority shareholder decides to sell. If you have the resources to consider employee happiness before making a purchase, then more power to you; I can't.

Difference of personal context; I can agree with that without a further paragraph.
Literally nobody here has ever argued that you or anyone else in the thread shouldn't be able to afford a Moog of some variety.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
They aren't going to hire me (for good reason) and have yet to provide a NEW product I can justify purchasing. A 49% share is not a majority share BUT the employees will get a piece if the majority shareholder decides to sell.
Actually, reading the article again more carefully, I think I misunderstood first time through.

If I'm reading it correctly now, they got 49% immediately, which will the progress up to 100% over the next 6 years.

Anyway, my main point was that Moog Music was Bob's company (and is now Bob's colleagues and employees company) and not something set up by a faceless entity that bought the rights to the name, which I got the impression from your post was what you believed?

Not saying it should make any difference to what you do or buy, just sharing information.

Quote:
If you have the resources to consider employee happiness before making a purchase, then more power to you; I can't.
If I'm honest buying fair-trade products is usually about as far as I go in that respect, unless I actually know the people involved personally.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
of course it's fine, just a few fanboys want to scream and jump up and down tell us how cool they are that support a particular brand, boring...

Behringer is going to stimulate the synth market like never before, finally we will be getting all sorts of new pricing and gear available to us all, and from all the other makers. Music gear isn't just for a few elite boys wearing Moog t/shirts, it's for everyone everywhere..
That's making stuff up. Like really inventing things to support your point of view. Pointing out certain facts doesn't make you a fanboy or an elitist. Neither does having an opinion. We get it you appreciate Behringer for hooking you up and in a lot of forums you'd get called out as a shill. What fun is a forum where everyone thinks exactly the same way?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
That's making stuff up. Like really inventing things to support your point of view. Pointing out certain facts doesn't make you a fanboy or an elitist. Neither does having an opinion. We get it you appreciate Behringer for hooking you up and in a lot of forums you'd get called out as a shill. What fun is a forum where everyone thinks exactly the same way?
Some of the stuff posted here this week has been appalling, the mods have seen it and cleaned it up, if it was appropriate they would have left it. I'm just here to inject some balance and want people to give others a fair go. dredging up the past over and over and over again is not productive or fair.

Enjoy your synth when you get one..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not mad @ this idea at all.....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Did not care about Dm12, not enough character for me to invest and i have very limited funds lately. But would scrap eg. sell my dogs pups all i can to get a minimoog clone. Wish it would look as much as the original. Model D does not exist to most Behringer customes, i'm afraid. For me the clone never happened. It's time to make one, affordable and then move on to innaovate ala DM12 but maybe with Jupiter/Q? just my thoughts
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

wow, what a strange thread...

anyways, looking forward to the renderings that Mr. Behringer promised for today
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hodgson View Post
Actually, reading the article again more carefully, I think I misunderstood first time through.

If I'm reading it correctly now, they got 49% immediately, which will the progress up to 100% over the next 6 years.

Anyway, my main point was that Moog Music was Bob's company (and is now Bob's colleagues and employees company) and not something set up by a faceless entity that bought the rights to the name, which I got the impression from your post was what you believed?

Not saying it should make any difference to what you do or buy, just sharing information.

If I'm honest buying fair-trade products is usually about as far as I go in that respect, unless I actually know the people involved personally.

Well the exceptionally wide margin would serve the employee-owners rather than the customers...

Uh oh. I didn't even think: it's in The South! This is starting to sound more like a Church model instead of a business model. I wonder if there are enough followers to maintain it? At least a few of them around here!
I can't elaborate or be factual without resorting to political insight.
Farewell thread!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
@uli
Why are there no reviews for the new Klark Technic 1176 and pultec? I'm interested in the 1176 but there is very little on the Web. All I have found is one guy on here that says it rocks.

Sorry for going off topic there but back on topic, I have no issue with your model D plans especially if it follows on from DM12
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This is a first draft of our "D" Synth with a proposed feature set below.

Our goal is to design in a Poly Chain feature that allows combining up to 16 synths through Midi.

Depending on the feedback we will then decide if we move further and build a first prototype.

Our targeted retail price is around US$ 400.

Analog Synthesizer with 3 VCOs, 24 dB Ladder Filter, LFO, 16-Voice Poly Chain and Eurorack Format

1. Analog synthesizer with triple VCO design
2. Reproduction of original “D Type” with matched transistors and JFETs
3. 0.1% Thin Film resistors and Polyphenyline Sulphide capacitors for frequency stability
4. Analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
5. 5 variable oscillator shapes with pulse width variation
6. Classic 24 dB ladder filter with resonance
7. Fully analog triangle/square wave LFO
8. Switchable low/high pass filter mode
9. 16-voice Midi Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16-voice polyphony
10. Overdrive circuit
11. Noise generator
12. Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
13. 46 controls for real-time access of all important parameters
14. External audio input for processing external sound sources
15. Low and high level outputs
16. Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
17. 3-Year Warranty Program

Uli
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?-d_p0cqj_fisheye.jpg   Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?-d_p0cqj_rear.jpg   Behringer Mini model D? A good idea?-d_p0cqj_top.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Awesome...that looks great, no seriously..can't wait to hear it..!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I buy it, looks lovely. Loving the module look too, hopefully use the same form factor of other 'classic' synths.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Looks awesome, when can I preorder?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
So you need an external midi keyboard to play it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reditec View Post
So you need an external midi keyboard to play it?
yes that's the idea, usb or MIDI controller..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Please for the love of god DONT put the midi and USB on the top panel!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Midi on top is not very handy indeed, even USB is not needed
But other than that : $400 brilliant!

It's about time someone wakes up the establishment
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Works for me on top panel.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I agree! Besides that, this looks amazing, I would buy it on day one with zero regrets!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
It's 1 PCB. Easiest solution is to have them there. Going to cost a little more to have a daughter board. Though I agree that it would be more user friendly to have those on the back. <edit> Not that I care too much either way
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I dont need any more moogish style tone in my studio but this rack is a no brainer!
If it sounds like a real 'D' the chaining option will make me buy like 3 of em
Fkn gas!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Uli, im not affiliated with any synth manufacturer or media and have no axe to grind. Just a guy with some vintage synths that i bought over a long time.
I totally disapprove of what your doing here.... just copying other companies
PLEASE for the love of god, design your own synths, you have by the sounds of things a very talented team of designers at Midas... use them. Build something new and interesting. The Matrixbrute is a great new synth, be inspired by that sort of thing and come up with something interesting.
I thought Behringer had stopped with all the blatant copying others designs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
This is a first draft of our "D" Synth with a proposed feature set below.

Our goal is to design in a Poly Chain feature that allows combining up to 16 synths through Midi.

Depending on the feedback we will then decide if we move further and build a first prototype.

Our targeted retail price is around US$ 400.

Analog Synthesizer with 3 VCOs, 24 dB Ladder Filter, LFO, 16-Voice Poly Chain and Eurorack Format

1. Analog synthesizer with triple VCO design
2. Reproduction of original “D Type” with matched transistors and JFETs
3. 0.1% Thin Film resistors and Polyphenyline Sulphide capacitors for frequency stability
4. Analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
5. 5 variable oscillator shapes with pulse width variation
6. Classic 24 dB ladder filter with resonance
7. Fully analog triangle/square wave LFO
8. Switchable low/high pass filter mode
9. 16-voice Midi Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16-voice polyphony
10. Overdrive circuit
11. Noise generator
12. Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
13. 46 controls for real-time access of all important parameters
14. External audio input for processing external sound sources
15. Low and high level outputs
16. Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
17. 3-Year Warranty Program

Uli

Last edited by Reptil; 2 weeks ago at 02:41 PM.. Reason: post edited - don't use those words please?!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think this design is different enough than an actual Model D that if you are going to criticize Behringer on this one then you'll have to criticize synthesizers.com, Studio Electronics, etc... Behringer has already committed to doing original AND classic synths.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search