The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What synths should Behringer make next? POLL
View Poll Results: Vote for the synths you want Behringer to make
SH 101
64 Votes - 18.50%
SH 202
8 Votes - 2.31%
TB 303
23 Votes - 6.65%
Jupiter 8
107 Votes - 30.92%
Jupiter 6
21 Votes - 6.07%
Jupiter 4
36 Votes - 10.40%
OB-X
52 Votes - 15.03%
OB-XA
98 Votes - 28.32%
VCS-3
51 Votes - 14.74%
Synthi A
48 Votes - 13.87%
Polykobol
41 Votes - 11.85%
Polivoks
18 Votes - 5.20%
Mini korg 700s
17 Votes - 4.91%
Oberheim 4 voice
30 Votes - 8.67%
CS-80
100 Votes - 28.90%
PPG wave
56 Votes - 16.18%
Memory Moog
51 Votes - 14.74%
Prophet 5
50 Votes - 14.45%
Buchla easel
32 Votes - 9.25%
Voyetra 8
24 Votes - 6.94%
VP-330
25 Votes - 7.23%
Arp Quadra
29 Votes - 8.38%
Arp Chroma
22 Votes - 6.36%
Arp 2600
114 Votes - 32.95%
Arp sequencer
9 Votes - 2.60%
Synclavier
21 Votes - 6.07%
Wasp
25 Votes - 7.23%
SH1
7 Votes - 2.02%
SH7
16 Votes - 4.62%
SH5
32 Votes - 9.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th February 2017
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Some folks perhaps also have a commercial reason to not want the classic instruments re-issued. But I don't think they should worry as there will always be a market for the 'real thing' for those who can afford it. The rest of us will be happy with something that is 90% close to the original, but a fraction of the price.
I don't think that's very fair, personally I just want synthesis to take back what it was when it was born.

THE FUTURE

Looking back is not moving forward, that's my justification for my opinion. Selling a remake of an old classic is easy work, give us something forward looking for our money, analogue is not the expensive beast it was so I just want them to exploit it for all its worth.

We never saw the advance of the digital VA synths by constantly looking to remake a D50 did we.

Last edited by Jamie munro; 27th February 2017 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 27th February 2017
  #62
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
even though it's been around a while I really believe the future of synthesis is in modular.. eventually all producers will want that hybrid set up of keyboards and wild sound making from modular, that's where most spend their money going forward..
Old 27th February 2017
  #63
According to the USPTO, Music Group has been acquiring expired trademarks:






The Oberheim logo and trademarks seem to have been filed by Music Group after Gibson turned it over to Wells Fargo, and it expired:

USPTO Assignments on the Web

Then Music Group IP made a claim on it on Dec 8 of last year (awaiting examination

Trademark Status & Document Retrieval

And Gibson must have caught wind of what's going on and is now trying to retrieve it on behalf of Bank of America as a "Security Interest:"

USPTO Assignments on the Web

It's interesting to note they filed these trademarks under the Music Group IP Inc. name instead of some shell organization. Given the specificity of the Oberheim marks reserved, I'd venture their next big synth will be an "homage" to the OB-Xa, and possibly an OSCar. Given their treatment of the Juno-106, it might be something special...
Old 27th February 2017
  #64
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
It should be a *plugout* keyboard controller that plays plugins

Basically a Solaris but with licenses with UHE and others

Behringer has the size and respect to actually make partnerships with the plugin developers and propogate an *open* standard

A step towards the seamless integration of hardware and software ... with analog filters of course.
Old 27th February 2017
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther View Post
According to the USPTO, Music Group has been acquiring expired trademarks:
< moderator edit >

The Oberheim logo and trademarks seem to have been filed by Music Group after Gibson turned it over to Wells Fargo, and it expired:

USPTO Assignments on the Web

Then Music Group IP made a claim on it on Dec 8 of last year (awaiting examination

Trademark Status & Document Retrieval

And Gibson must have caught wind of what's going on and is now trying to retrieve it on behalf of Bank of America as a "Security Interest:"

USPTO Assignments on the Web

It's interesting to note they filed these trademarks under the Music Group IP Inc. name instead of some shell organization. Given the specificity of the Oberheim marks reserved, I'd venture their next big synth will be an "homage" to the OB-Xa, and possibly an OSCar. Given their treatment of the Juno-106, it might be something special...
I would be interested in a new OSCar!


Last edited by Reptil; 12th March 2017 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: trimmed down quote
Old 27th February 2017
  #66
Gear Addict
 
Fay Smearing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Well. Several things would be cool imo. But whatever it is, something original. No clones/remakes and definitely nothing based on bloody Rolands.

I'd love to see a cool 6 or 8 voice analog with 2 fully featured oscs and a great core sound, something with character and minimal FX. Either drifty VCOs or DCOs with a well implemented slop feature. 2 lfos and 2 adsrs. Focus on the sound, not the features.

Also some kind of hybrid. Maybe something that can load samples in addition to a dwgs kinda setup, possibly including actual dcos. Nice analog filter (no clones). That'd be cool. Like a knobby dw8000 on steroids.
Yes, something original...
Old 27th February 2017
  #67
Gear Maniac
 
Reginator's Avatar
An OB-Xa from Behringer would really be interesting now that we have the OB-6 and Relic-6/OB-X (coming soon-ish). Different synths for sure but the potential difference in price and features would shine favorably on Behringer's version.

The OB-Xa was my very first gear-lust way back in 1984. Could she finally be mine?!
Old 27th February 2017
  #68
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Well. Several things would be cool imo. But whatever it is, something original. No clones/remakes and definitely nothing based on bloody Rolands.

I'd love to see a cool 6 or 8 voice analog with 2 fully featured oscs and a great core sound, something with character and minimal FX. Either drifty VCOs or DCOs with a well implemented slop feature. 2 lfos and 2 adsrs. Focus on the sound, not the features.

Also some kind of hybrid. Maybe something that can load samples in addition to a dwgs kinda setup, possibly including actual dcos. Nice analog filter (no clones). That'd be cool. Like a knobby dw8000 on steroids.
Yes, I was thinking about something like this as well. All of the above with full blown sampling capabilities for extensive multi-layered multi-samples, expandable to at least 1 gig with optional flash boards. Add a multi-track sequencer, (8 tracks might be enough) and the ability to layer or split the analog synth. Keep all the FX. Increase the keyboard to 61 notes as well and add some more hands on control with the extra real estate.

This would be a hybrid style of workstation without the customary "rompler" section. Oh...and include 8 outs. Might be $2K, but if done right, I'd buy one.
Old 27th February 2017
  #69
Lives for gear
 

The industry is heading towards that kind of synth, I think - although including the rompler ingredient, I would say, as that's always important for non-niche appeal.

Last edited by wendell r.; 28th February 2017 at 10:46 AM..
Old 27th February 2017
  #70
Lives for gear
Minimoog for 1k € please.


A modern (multi)-sample player would be nice too.
- 8 to 16 parts
- 2 parts with analog filters
- 80gb sample data storage
- ability to edit and manipulate the multisamples via modulation
- x32 effects
- 4-6 individual out + AES50 output
Old 27th February 2017
  #71
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I don't think that's very fair, personally I just want synthesis to take back what it was when it was born.

THE FUTURE

Looking back is not moving forward, that's my justification for my opinion. Selling a remake of an old classic is easy work, give us something forward looking for our money, analogue is not the expensive beast it was so I just want them to exploit it for all its worth.

We never saw the advance of the digital VA synths by constantly looking to remake a D50 did we.
Agreed, and I wasn't aiming that at you, or anyone on this thread. I think the DM12 strikes a good balance between being based on an existing circuit design, but with lots of innovative features. So if I say that I'd quite like a re-make of a Juipiter 8 or OB-Xa, what I really mean is that I'd like a modern re-interpretation of those synths.

I'm a real sucker for the visual / ergonomic design of the Jupiter 8 though..
Old 27th February 2017
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginator View Post
An OB-Xa from Behringer would really be interesting now that we have the OB-6 and Relic-6/OB-X (coming soon-ish). Different synths for sure but the potential difference in price and features would shine favorably on Behringer's version.

The OB-Xa was my very first gear-lust way back in 1984. Could she finally be mine?!
+1, but with 12 voices please!
Old 27th February 2017
  #73
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Being greedy, in addition to my 'flagship' spec, I'd also quite fancy a mini polysynth, about CZ-101 size, to carry around when out of the studio.

Perhaps a Micro-DM6? Six voices, more limited / smaller control panel, but the same basic circuitry and power under the hood (via editors)?

Could use buttons to access parameters, and then use a single knob/slider for data entry; Matrix-6 style.

Would be willing to jettison FX engine to get the same analogue sound in a small package for a budget price. FX could be available as an optional board, perhaps?

It would need to be 'impulse' priced: around $400 before tax.
Old 27th February 2017
  #74
Here for the gear
The marked need more basic polysynths...why not a:
- 6 voices DCO with 2 OSC (tri, saw, sql) + sub osc (bonus feature)
- 1 LFO
- 4 or 5 oct keyboard with FULL SIZE KEYS and aftertouch
- No FX!
- No menus at all!!! (ok then - for global stuff and a oled display for preset names)
- Warmer/smoother sound than the Minilogue
- Price sub $799

All in all; a simple, yet powerful easy-to-use analog poly...
Old 27th February 2017
  #75
Lives for gear
 
CarLofgren's Avatar
 

It's been said time and time again, but please for the love of god.
Can someone PLEASE make a decent sampler. Killer feature 2017: polyphony.

/C
Old 27th February 2017
  #76
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrman View Post
The marked need more basic polysynths...why not a:
- 6 voices DCO with 2 OSC (tri, saw, sql) + sub osc (bonus feature)
- 1 LFO
- 4 or 5 oct keyboard with FULL SIZE KEYS and aftertouch
- No FX!
- No menus at all!!! (ok then - for global stuff and a oled display for preset names)
- Warmer/smoother sound than the Minilogue
- Price sub $799

All in all; a simple, yet powerful easy-to-use analog poly...
+1 for a simple, full-size, one-knob-per-function poly with no need for menus.

Sounds potentially like a DM-6?
Old 27th February 2017
  #77
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Digital additive oscillators (64/128 partials), loopable envelopes, ability to offset frequencies,
ability to load and FM user samples with the additives, and multi-timbral with analog filters.

A modern, very updated version of the Kawai K3/K5K.
Maybe a polyphonic OSCar would come close?
Old 27th February 2017
  #78
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrman View Post
The marked need more basic polysynths...why not a:
- 6 voices DCO with 2 OSC (tri, saw, sql) + sub osc (bonus feature)
- 1 LFO
- 4 or 5 oct keyboard with FULL SIZE KEYS and aftertouch
- No FX!
- No menus at all!!! (ok then - for global stuff and a oled display for preset names)
- Warmer/smoother sound than the Minilogue
- Price sub $799

All in all; a simple, yet powerful easy-to-use analog poly...
So your wish is to have Deepmind-12 with fewer voices and no effects? I think they can do better
Old 27th February 2017
  #79
Gear Head
 

Reading that Gibson and Behringer are fighting over the Oberheim name makes me think about how decent it was of Yamaha to return Sequential Circuits name to Dave Smith. As Tom is still in the business of making synths it somehow does not feel right that either Music Group or Gibson were to use the brand name on a future product. Unless of course Tom was directly involved in the design of said product.
As to what should Behringer release next I'd be happy for a 16 voice poly with 2 filters in series. 8 voices divided so that these could be stacked as 2 separate voice chains or linked as a single 16 voice chain.
Old 27th February 2017
  #80
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
So your wish is to have Deepmind-12 with fewer voices and no effects? I think they can do better
Not really...more something to fill the gap between the Minilogue and the DM12...both in feature and prize. The Mopho x4 almost does that. I also don't see the DM12 to be a real 2 OSC synth. And while I'm on it...skip the third ENV to reduce cost and the need for menu diving.

Again, a very basic spec. and not to bright/harsh/sterile sounding...poor mans OB-6.
Old 27th February 2017
  #81
Gear Maniac
 
Reginator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
It's been said time and time again, but please for the love of god.
Can someone PLEASE make a decent sampler. Killer feature 2017: polyphony.

/C
The Ensoniq EPS was the first sampler I used in the 90's even though I really wanted an EMAX. It wasn't until later that I realized the sound I was really craving for came from an Emulator.

All that old sampler technology is ripe for the picking. Throw in some analog 12/24dB/oct VCF's and whatever grimy compression tactics that made those things sound so great...and you'll have a winner!

*Note - Lose the floppy drives.*
Old 27th February 2017
  #82
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
So your wish is to have Deepmind-12 with fewer voices and no effects? I think they can do better
Agreed. I would have no interest in something like that.
Old 28th February 2017
  #83
Gear Addict
 

Are these old analog ones really that important?

In the past Synthesizers always where asociated with science fiction and stuff, now the future is here and everybody wants dinos.

I would love a V-Synth/Stromberg/Virus Crossover
Old 28th February 2017
  #84
Gear Addict
 
superstupid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherun View Post
Are these old analog ones really that important?

In the past Synthesizers always where asociated with science fiction and stuff, now the future is here and everybody wants dinos.

I would love a V-Synth/Stromberg/Virus Crossover
yes!
jurassic park is science fiction too isn't it.
Old 28th February 2017
  #85
Gear Maniac
 
Uli Behringer's Avatar
 

Hello everyone, please allow me to chime in.

Since the introduction of our first synth, the DeepMind12, it has now become the best selling synthesizer at the world's largest retailers Thomann and Sweetwater. Our team is so excited that we have decided to go "all in".

What does that mean?

We have since hired 20 incredibly talented engineers and synth experts, and we're hiring many more. In fact we're looking for passionate software and hardware engineers for our Innovation Center in Manchester, UK. Please feel free to drop me a note and CV if you're interested.
If you like to learn more about our culture, have a look at our MUSIC Tribe Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyMUSICTribe/

Our dream is to cover every musical and technological angle, which includes analog and digital synths, samplers, romplers, drum machines - you name it.

We have also taken on the challenge to see if we can make a really cool analog synth for USS$ 49 retail. That's not easy, but we'll give it a try! We like to make analog synths available especially for kids so they can learn to play an electronic instrument.

We'll be reviving both legacy synths based on authentic designs and original components but we're also heavily investing in research in the areas of cutting-edge granular and waveform synthesis, etc. in order to innovate and create something completely new.

Many people have asked us to revive synth jewels from the past and make them affordable so everyone can own one. This very much resonates with me because when I was a kid, I spent hours in stores playing and admiring those synths - however I couldn't afford them which was tremendously frustrating.
Frankly, I never understood why someone would charge you US$ 4,000 for a MiniMoog, when the components just cost around US$ 200.

We at Midas and Behringer believe in bringing these instruments back and making them affordable so everyone can play and enjoy them.

In order to introduce young people to the world of synthesizers, we have also hired lots of university fresh grads for our engineering departments - great guys that have discovered and now love building synths.
I can honestly say that this the best vibe we have ever had in our company and I am tremendously proud of these guys who put incredible effort and time in designing those synths.

As always we love to hear from you, learn what your thoughts are and what you want us to make. Building great things for customers is what we love and the purpose why we exist.

Thank you for all the fantastic support!

Uli

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 28th February 2017 at 02:58 PM..
Old 28th February 2017
  #86
Gear Maniac
 
Reginator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Our dream is to cover every musical and technological angle, which includes analog and digital synths, samplers, romplers, drum machines - you name it.
If you're going digital then take a stab at the JD-800 and DX7 (no membrane switches)! Heck, I even love the CZ-101 - I'd like to see what you can do with that!
Old 28th February 2017
  #87
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post

We have since hired 20 incredibly talented engineers and synth experts, and we're hiring many more.
Hello Uli! Please consider adding Stefan Stenzel, Wolfram Franke, Wolfgang Palm, and Axel Hartmann to your team!
Old 28th February 2017
  #88
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Hello Uli! Please consider adding Stefan Stenzel, Wolfram Franke, Wolfgang Palm, and Axel Hartmann to your team!
and give them total freedom, creativly and financialy...
Old 28th February 2017
  #89
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Hello everyone, please allow me to chime in.

Since the introduction of our first synth, the DeepMind12, it has now become the best selling synthesizer at the world's largest retailers Thomann and Sweetwater. Our team is so excited that we have decided to go "all in".

What does that mean?

We have since hired 20 incredibly talented engineers and synth experts, and we're hiring many more. In fact we're looking for passionate software and hardware engineers for our Innovation Center in Manchester, UK. Please feel free to drop me a note and CV if you're interested.
If you like to learn more about our culture, have a look at our MUSIC Tribe Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyMUSICTribe/

Our dream is to cover every musical and technological angle, which includes analog and digital synths, samplers, romplers, drum machines - you name it.

We have also taken on the challenge to see if we can make a really cool analog synth for USS$ 49 retail. That's not easy, but we'll give it a try! We like to make analog synths available especially for kids so they can learn to play an electronic instrument.

We'll be reviving both legacy synths based on authentic designs and original components but we're also heavily investing in research in the areas of cutting-edge granular and waveform synthesis, etc. in order to innovate and create something completely new.

Many people have asked us to revive synth jewels from the past and make them affordable so everyone can own one. This very much resonates with me because when I was a kid, I spent hours in stores playing and admiring those synths - however I couldn't afford them which was tremendously frustrating.
Frankly, I never understood why someone would charge you US$ 4,000 for a MiniMoog, when the components just cost around US$ 200.

We at Midas and Behringer believe in bringing these instruments back and making them affordable so everyone can play and enjoy them.

In order to introduce young people to the world of synthesizers, we have also hired lots of university fresh grads for our engineering departments - great guys that have discovered and now love building synths.
I can honestly say that this the best vibe we have ever had in our company and I am tremendously proud of these guys who put incredible effort and time in designing those synths.

As always we love to hear from you, learn what your thoughts are and what you want us to make. Building great things for customers is what we love and the purpose why we exist.

Thank you for all the fantastic support!

Uli
For the digital synths work with all the incredible plugin makers out there.

License those algorithms and put them in yours synths - buy don't build.

You can also use the same chassis for multiple synth manufacturers. Lots of knobs and screens of course.

Behringer UHE Synth

Behringer Omnisphere Synth

This is a way to dominate the digital synth market and give us something we really need.
Old 28th February 2017
  #90
Matrix Modulator
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Hey, Uli

If you do hire Axel Hartmann don't let him talk you into making monosynths that don't have dedicated filter cutoff knobs.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump