The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buy a Modal 002 at the cost of selling 3 of my synths
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Buy a Modal 002 at the cost of selling 3 of my synths

2017-03-17 EDIT- MODAL 002 ordered and should be in Boise, Idaho all the way from merry old England within a week or two.

OK, I have an opportunity to pick up a Modal 002 (without the FX board) for an irresistible price, but the only way I can do it this week is to promise the wife that I will list on Evil-bay, my System 8, Sub-37....AND another synth I had not previously planned on getting rid of As mentioned previously, I was listing the Sub-37 and System-8 and with those proceeds and saving for another few months was planning to make the large synth purchase, but the price that I can pick up the Modal 002 now makes it financially extremely tempting to pick it up this week instead.....but at the cost of promising to also list my mint condition Voyager Electric Blue. D'oh!!! The decision process has been driving me nuts all this afternoon. I need to get to work composing my new album soon and the 002 and my OB6 would most certainly make a terrific synth duo for New Age & Ambient.....more than my current combo OB6, Voyager, S8, and Sub-37....I believe at least.

To tell the truth, I probably wouldn't have used the Voyager much for the new album anyway, but man I am just in love with how it looks in my studio and the tactile feel of it. It really is the best made, most sturdy synth that I have ever had the pleasure or owning, but again I cannot see using it anywhere near as much as I would most certainly use the Modal 002 for my New Age compositions.

I'm nearly 48 years old, but when it comes to synths and music gear I feel like an indecisive teenager.

Last edited by Quantum7; 5 days ago at 01:28 AM..
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

My vote is sell the Voyager, get the 002

I had the same thoughts about the robust build quality and beatiful wood before I sold my Voyager.

If you don't use it that much sell it.

It also takes up a ton of real estate

Then spend the next few months saving for the Model D

Edit : You might miss having a monosynth maybe get a cheaper one for the project
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Addict

A few choice pieces of synth >>> A lot of synth you don't fully love
Curation is the new hoarding
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
but man I am just in love with how it looks in my studio and the tactile feel of it.
sounds like you already know what to do, those aren't great reasons for hanging on to a synth.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Head
It sounds odd that you even NEED to list the Voyager if you want to keep it - just as you've seen the 002 at a good price. Although it'd be about $500 down the line for adding the digital effects board, so take that into consideration?

Just sell the System-8 & Sub 37, keep the Voyager, get the 002. Buy the wife some flowers or a new whatever she wants this year to make things all good - from what I remember you make your income from music, so it seems silly to compromise your workflow just because?
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Head
Hummm, I'm wondering about the 'extremely tempting' offer you have since you wrote that you will have to sell you System 8, Sub-37 AND ... your voyager electric blue...

If I add the amount of all three it's certainly gonna be much more than the last used Modal 002 sold on ebay for $3106.97 ????

Are you sure the offer you have is really that great ???

LA
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Addict

Just noticed this in your sig:
Quote:
Sean Christopher - New Age composer
Sean Christopher | New Age Composer

As someone who pays their rent each month selling rare new age albums for exorbitant prices:

Sell the Voyager. An analog Moog mono can not offer you anything new for the genre. Use the leftover money after the Modal 002 to step up your hardware FX and/or buy a cool acoustic instrument you can layer/sample with.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

You can always buy stuff back if you change your mind later. Hard to get the top shelf stuff at a good price, I say for for it.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Keys View Post
Hummm, I'm wondering about the 'extremely tempting' offer you have since you wrote that you will have to sell you System 8, Sub-37 AND ... your voyager electric blue...

If I add the amount of all three it's certainly gonna be much more than the last used Modal 002 sold on ebay for $3106.97 ????

Are you sure the offer you have is really that great ???

LA
It is a New 002. I would be lucky to clear $2000 to $2200 with my S8 and Sub-37 after the Evil-Bay and PayPal fees, so I'll need to also sell the Voyager. I live in a small market area, so Craigslist rarely works, and the GS marketplace rarely ever works for me, so stupid expensive EVIL-Bay is the only way I can usually sell gear. Anyway, I spent nearly $20k last year in music-related expenses, so I promised the wife that I would try and take it easy this year unless we come into extra unexpected money....which does seem to happen every so often. She would so appreciate me selling synths I don't use in order to buy an expensive new synth.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is a New 002. I would be lucky to clear $2000 to $2200 with my S8 and Sub-37 after the Evil-Bay and PayPal fees, so I'll need to also sell the Voyager. I live in a small market area, so Craigslist rarely works, and the GS marketplace rarely ever works for me, so stupid expensive EVIL-Bay is the only way I can usually sell gear. Anyway, I spent nearly $20k last year in music-related expenses, so I promised the wife that I would try and take it easy this year unless we come into extra unexpected money....which does seem to happen every so often. She would so appreciate me selling synths I don't use in order to buy an expensive new synth.
Maybe you should list the old synths on EBay at a price so high they definitely won't sell.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Maybe you should list the old synths on EBay at a price so high they definitely won't sell.
HA! My wife may then list ME on Ebay!
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, I have an opportunity to pick up a Modal 002 (without the FX board) for an irresistible price, but the only way I can do it this week is to promise the wife that I will list on Evil-bay, my System 8, Sub-37....AND another synth I had not previously planned on getting rid of As mentioned previously, I was listing the Sub-37 and System-8 and with those proceeds and saving for another few months was planning to make the large synth purchase, but the price that I can pick up the Modal 002 now makes it financially extremely tempting to pick it up this week instead.....but at the cost of promising to also list my mint condition Voyager Electric Blue. D'oh!!! The decision process has been driving me nuts all this afternoon. I need to get to work composing my new album soon and the 002 and my OB6 would most certainly make a terrific synth duo for New Age & Ambient.....more than my current combo OB6, Voyager, S8, and Sub-37....I believe at least.

To tell the truth, I probably wouldn't have used the Voyager much for the new album anyway, but man I am just in love with how it looks in my studio and the tactile feel of it. It really is the best made, most sturdy synth that I have ever had the pleasure or owning, but again I cannot see using it anywhere near as much as I would most certainly use the Modal 002 for my New Age compositions.

I'm nearly 48 years old, but when it comes to synths and music gear I feel like an indecisive teenager.
I'm not even reading any other comments, just responding to your idea. Those three synths for a Modal 002? It's a freakin POSH looking synth, and sounds good, but...... No. Just can't see it.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
It sounds odd that you even NEED to list the if you want to keep it - just as you've seen the 002 at a good price. Although it'd be about $500 down the line for adding the digital effects board, so take that into consideration?

Just sell the System-8 & , keep the Voyager, get the 002. Buy the wife some flowers or a new whatever she wants this year to make things all good - from what I remember you make your income from music, so it seems silly to compromise your workflow just because?
I have no intention of sending the 002 to England for the FX board.....which seems kind of a waste for the USB ASIO section anyone IMO. I'm better off using my great software reverbs, or buying a Big Sky if I want to go the hardware reverb route.

It's either sell the Voyager and get the great deal on the Modal NOW, or keep the Voyager and get the Modal in the summer for a normal price. I really want to get going on my new album composition very soon utilizing my OB6 and the Modal, so getting it now would allow me to get going sooner. I had great success on my last album and used Diva, Zebra, and Omnisphere for most of the synth parts, but I really want to utilize hardware synths on this album for a change. I like every album to be something different in the creation process just to shake things up.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have no intention of sending the 002 to England for the FX board.....which seems kind of a waste for the USB ASIO section anyone IMO. I'm better off using my great software reverbs, or buying a Big Sky if I want to go the hardware reverb route.

It's either sell the Voyager and get the great deal on the Modal NOW, or keep the Voyager and get the Modal in the summer for a normal price. I really want to get going on my new album composition very soon utilizing my OB6 and the Modal, so getting it now would allow me to get going sooner. I had great success on my last album and used Diva, Zebra, and Omnisphere for most of the synth parts, but I really want to utilize hardware synths on this album for a change. I like every album to be something different in the creation process just to shake things up.
Just remember it's super easy to buy back a Voyager if you want one again. A ton were made.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I'm not even reading any other comments, just responding to your idea. Those three synths for a Modal 002? It's a freakin POSH looking synth, and sounds good, but...... No. Just can't see it.
Understandable, but here is how I'm looking at it- The S8 is a fun synth, but to my ears it's more of an EDM, dance, etc. type-sounding synth. Also, it is nothing that I can see wanting to keep very long term anyway. It's fun, but it doesn't draw me into it like my OB6 does. The Sub-37- I was only getting rid of that originally because I already owned the Voyager, and 2 mono Moog's were overkill for my needs. The Voyager- Again, LOVE IT, but I just don't see using it much for my New Age compositions. Selling it would allow me to get the Modal 4 or 5 months earlier, hence helping me to get the new album composed sooner. If the Voyager was a poly, I'd probably never get rid of it, because I'm definitely more of a chord guys.... so mono's are harder for me to justify keeping when space and money are tight.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Understandable, but here is how I'm looking at it- The S8 is a fun synth, but to my ears it's more of an EDM, dance, etc. type-sounding synth. Also, it is nothing that I can see wanting to keep very long term anyway. It's fun, but it doesn't draw me into it like my OB6 does. The Sub-37- I was only getting rid of that originally because I already owned the Voyager, and 2 mono Moog's were overkill for my needs. The Voyager- Again, LOVE IT, but I just don't see using it much for my New Age compositions. Selling it would allow me to get the Modal 4 or 5 months earlier, hence helping me to get the new album composed sooner. If the Voyager was a poly, I'd probably never get rid of it, because I'm definitely more of a chord guys.... so mono's are harder for me to justify keeping when space and money are tight.
Hmmmm.... Maybe sale the S8 and Sub37 and get a used Kurzweil PC3X and the Abyss? For New Age. What about the Korg Kronus? Seems like a new age Tour de Force. Couldn't imagine dropping a Voyager, gotta have something Classic in the lineup.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmmm.... Maybe sale the S8 and Sub37 and get a used Kurzweil PC3X and the Abyss? For New Age. What about the Korg Kronus? Seems like a new age Tour de Force. Couldn't imagine dropping a Voyager, gotta have something Classic in the lineup.
I already have a Kurweil PC3LE8 for controller my dozens of soft-synths. I never use the Kurzweil though for anything, but a controller because my software just sounds much better.....and I was an avid Kurzweil user back in the day having owned 2 K2000's, 2 K2500's and 3 K2600's in the 90's. I don't want to put down ROMplers, but IMO they just cannot touch software anymore...at least for what I like anyway. I've owned a Triton, Fantom, and a Motif and would be in a living hell to have to go back there. I have over 5 Terabytes of Kontakt libraries, Omnisphere, and Falcon for ROMpler stuff.

I agree with you though about having something "classic in the lineup". If I can figure out a way to keep my Voyager, I will.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

You don't seem to like sonically those 3 synths you have.
That Modal synth doesn't seem a great leap forward in terms of synthesizers in the least.
It's well spec'd, but it's not innovative in its synthesis methods.
Are you already familiar with it?
I would go modular or buy an Andromeda instead.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Don't do it. The Voyager is like salt. It can go in pretty much everything. It's a classic and a beautiful instrument in every way. If you can't find a way to get it in a new age album, well that's on you. Put it up against Legend. My guess is, as much as I think Legend is amazing, you'll find the Voyager to be better. I never use Legend for mono analog stuff, just poly stuff that I'd never be able to do. (Who could run 24 Model Ds?)

The System 8... you've probably heard my rants a hundred times already, but what I will say is that I think it sounds great. For what you'll end up getting for it, you won't be able to replace it with even a Juno 106, so in that sense it's worth keeping if you're looking just for a vintage Roland sound, plus you get a lot more.

I think you've got some bad G.A.S. This happens to me as well. I want a .002 really bad, as well, but I know that it wouldn't make sense to sell off anything I own. Could you get buy using software instead of the synth's your thinking about selling? Sure, but if you go down that route, why have any hardware at all? I mean, dude, you just bought these synths. Sit tight. Save up. When the time comes maybe sell the Sub 37. Then you'll have a great analog poly, analog mono, digital VA and a hybrid. Seems like a good coverage. Every other synthesis type can be done ITB better.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear
Well I think my S8 is a great synth for all types of music but it is not on the level of the Modal 002. I just have not heard the Modal enough to know what makes it so amazing. To me the Voyager needs lot's of pedals and modulation to sound sweet. Otherwise it takes on a sound of a great bass, funky, lead, bleepy type synth. I think it is cool that you love your OB6. I am curious what it is about the OB that you love the most? You have a KURZ just sitting there. I guess you like the action because there are better KURZ 88's now. All I know is you are letting go a lot of Moog gear and there are a lot of great ambient type synths out there for new age. Do what your gut tells you. You know what your music needs and what will inspire you.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Guru

Step 1: buy a Korg Monotron
Step 2: tell your wife you have three synths to sell - the System 8, the Sub 37 and the Monotron
Step 3: get the 002

Technically correct = the best kind of correct.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

The gear will always be available in one form or another and at various prices.

Your wife and your relationship with here is more important than any piece of hardware. Be right with her and the gear situation will sort itself out.
Old 15th February 2017
I have one of the early Moog Voyager's Maple Edition purchased in 2004 and I love it, and god willing it's not going anywhere.
My wife has requested I NEVER sell my original Roland D50 or the Moog, and I'm onboard with that, because I not only have a musical but emotional connection with them.

I'm also in love with the 002, but it's not in my immediate future, so I'm focusing on learning the OB6 and Korg Odyssey better, and mainly get better at writing music and patch creation.

I honestly think you will regret selling the Voyager. From your comments it sounds like you also have a musical and emotional connection with it.
Yes, you can replace it down the road if you choose to do so, but my past experience has been the "replacement" is never quite the same for some reason.

Man, I always strongly dislike having those "talks" with my wife about wanting to buy new gear. I've put her through it for over 35 years and she's been wonderful and highly supportive about my expensive hobby.
When I first approached the subject about getting the OB6 last July(it was a open box for $2300 and in perfect like new condition), we went through the "here we go again" conversation. I told her I would sell some of my synths and she replied "NO... NO MORE SELLING!!!
A day later she told me to order it before it was gone... I mean, love is a beautiful and powerful thing, and even if she said no, she is and will always be my best friend and soulmate.

So, I will add from my MANY years of doing this, PLEASE DON'T SELL the Voyager.

My gut feeling is this isn't the time for you to buy the 002 or anything else.
Challenge yourself and make the new album with what you have.
I have Omnisphere and it's incredibly easy to create some new patches. It's my favorite softsynth.

My last 3 songs I used the same instruments, KingKorg, Korg Odyssey, MTron and a few other things, and I found the consistency kind of nice.
I remember back in the 70's, most bands used the same gear and it created a nice familiar feeling when you'd get a new album of theirs, and could hear similar sounds.

Maybe you could get a new piece of software to satisfy your need to have a new palette of sound to choose from.
How about something like Arturia V Collection?
1)wife will be happy
2)you will have new sounds to make your album with
3)some new hardware synth may be released that you will love even more, and it won't be as expensive and you'll still have your Electric Blue Voyager.

In closing my suggestion is to:Hold off on buying hardware for now.
Perhaps Roland and Korg will unveil something new at Meese coming up.
My vote is to KEEP THE VOYAGER..
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Yea, maybe the GAS is starting to take over. From where I'm sitting, the OB6, Sub37, AND a Kurz is a devastating trinity to make a record. God forbid you add in some Voyager and maybe some soft synth splashes. That's a lot of herbs and spices already to create something fantastic.
Save your money and headaches. If the Modal 002 isn't what you thought, buyers remorse is not the feeling you want when you start working on your new music.
Old 15th February 2017
Quote:
Yea, maybe the GAS is starting to take over. From where I'm sitting, the OB6, Sub37, AND a Kurz is a devastating trinity to make a record. God forbid you add in some Voyager and maybe some soft synth splashes. That's a lot of herbs and spices already to create something fantastic.
Save your money and headaches. If the Modal 002 isn't what you thought, buyers remorse is not the feeling you want when you start working on your new music.
What a great response!
and may I add.... seller's remorse as well.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
The gear will always be available in one form or another and at various prices.

Your wife and your relationship with here is more important than any piece of hardware. Be right with her and the gear situation will sort itself out.
I'm pulled in two directions on this. First, this ^ is sanity pure & simple. My rational mind totally agrees.

On the other hand ...

Quote:
HA! My wife may then list ME on Ebay!
If you make your living / support your family by making albums in the relatively remote, beautiful area in which you live - more power to you! But in that case choosing the necessary tools to do your work is a business decision, not a family issue (as I see it). If whatever net expense you incur acquiring the Modal is reasonably expected to be covered by additional sales of the new album, then go for it.

If wife tries to pre-empt your business decision-making process, list her on eBay!

That said, I'm not very familiar with the Modal. When they first hit I took a look/listen and came away thinking it was a lot of dollars for a fairly limited synth, but I haven't paid much attention since. (so no opinion on the wisdom of your plan)

Except you said you're kind of a chord guy so you're cool with selling both of your monos. I'm a chord guy too, but i've come to love my monos because they force me to write some counterpoint, and that helps reduce the dense fog of harmonic cleverness that tends to clog up my music. But that's just me.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

I'd also keep the Voyager. But while you're at it, go ahead and sell the S8 and Sub37. Also there must be something else little you can sell. But really, if you have a lot of software, surely there must be a good bit you aren't using. I was shocked a year or two ago to find out how much I actually had over the years. I ended up selling almost all of it on KVR, and it made me around $1,000 or so. A lot of it you can get pretty good money for selling second-hand. Anyway, those steps may not get you a 002 immediately, but it should greatly accelerate the process.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
What a great response!
and may I add.... seller's remorse as well.
Seller's remorse as well, right! That would be a double whammy, not overwhelmed with what you traded for and then missing the pieces you let go for that dissatisfaction. Not the feeling or mindset I would want going into a new project.
Also, and maybe I'm alone on this, selling a synth with the idea of simply buying another one later has never been something I could do. My synths are MY synths, I could never sell my Kurz PC3 with the idea of simply picking another up later, I bought it new, we've grown together, and made some beautiful music together. It wouldn't be the same. Never... LOL
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks gentleman! You've all given me a lot to think of. Yes, I definitely have a horrible case of GAS.....which is further complicated by daily chronic pain (Army injuries from 25 years ago) I go through. New equipment takes my mind off the pain, therefore I'm always looking for ways to occupy my mind. I feel extremely blessed to have an awesome wife (who supports 100% of my music endeavors) and child, a beautiful home in an awesome community, a fantastic home studio, and decent income to keep it filled with music goodies......but at other times I feel cursed to have all of this, but be in constant pain, always looking for new toys to help me not think about the pain, and worst of all, not being able to put as much time in the studio due to the pain. That said though, I'd rather concentrate on my blessings....and GAS. Thanks again everyone!
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, I have an opportunity to pick up Sarah-Jane (without make-up) for an irresistible price, but the only way I can do it this week is to promise the Moog that I will list on Evil-bay, Barbara, Lindsay....AND another woman I had not previously planned on getting rid of As mentioned previously, I was listing Lindsay and Barbara and with those proceeds and saving for another few months was planning to make a large woman purchase, but the price that I can pick up Sarah-Jane now makes it financially extremely tempting to pick her up this week instead.....but at the cost of promising to also list my mint condition Samantha. D'oh!!! The decision process has been driving me nuts all this afternoon. I need to get to work composing my new album soon and Sarah-Jane and Bethany would most certainly make a terrific female duo for New Age & Ambient.....more than my current combo Bethany, Samantha, Barbara, and Lindsay....I believe at least.

To tell the truth, I probably wouldn't have used Samantha much for the new album anyway, but man I am just in love with how she looks in my studio and the tactile feel of her. She really is the best made, most sturdy woman that I have ever had the pleasure or owning, but again I cannot see using her anywhere near as much as I would most certainly use Sarah-Jane for my New Age compositions.

I'm nearly 48 years old, but when it comes to women I feel like an indecisive teenager.
It may help to rethink this from a different angle/perspective

What if... I take the liberty of re-quoting you, replacing the names of the synths with er... some other names?

So you can see where your priorities might be.

Hope it helps!
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search