The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSI: Prophet 08 REV 2
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

DSI: Prophet 08 REV 2

Here ya go. Minus 190 something comments speculating what DSI is gonna release.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict
can someone post tech specs please? my work blocks YT and im dying to know
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Nice one with the new thread!

Nice synth but I'm relieved with the relief of gas! Not for me this one ...
Old 19th January 2017
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Old 19th January 2017
Dope! What is price?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke44 View Post
From memory on my bus trip home now but

16 voices
USB
Can load old p08 patches identically
Same Curtis filters
Poly sequencing
2 layers
Sequences x 2 layers
Double size mod matrix
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

All I know from video is double the modulation matrix size, 16 voices, OLED Display and curtis filter
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

"The REV2 is the realization of our effort to enhance and improve everything we could about the original design — all at a more accessible price.”

Cheaper than a P08?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke44 View Post
REV2 Specifications
OSCILLATORS
2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation)
Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
White noise generator
Analog VCAs
Hard sync
FILTERS
1 analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode).
ENVELOPES
3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
SEQUENCER
16 x 4 gated step sequencer
LFOS
4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO
MODULATION
4 x 2 modulation matrix with 20 mod sources and 43 mod destinations
ARPEGGIATOR
Programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
Re-latching arpeggiation
CONTROLS
5-octave keyboard with semi-weighted action, velocity, and aftertouch
52 knobs and 20 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
Spring-loaded pitch wheel and assignable mod wheel
MEMORY
256 fully editable Programs (2 banks of 128) with 2 Layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
IN/OUT
MIDI In, Out, Thru, and Poly Chain
Main stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
Output B stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
POWER
Includes power supply for 110V – 240V AC operation (13-15 VDC, 600 mA) and operation manual.
PHYSICAL SPECS
Oiled African mahogany wood end panels
Dimensions: 12.70″ (32.26 cm) W x 35.12″ (89.20 cm) L x 3.80″ (9.65 cm) H (2.30″ at front edge; the feet account for 0.25″ of the total height)
Weight: 20.5 lbs. (9.3 kg)
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

price anywhere?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The REV2 has a projected ship date of April 2017 with a MAP of $1499 for the 8-voice version and $1999 for the 16-voice version.
Great price/feature ratio. I'm pretty disappointed that they decided to stick with the Curtis filters on this one though. Still, at $1500 for the 8 voice version, it's possible to get a REV2 and a DeepMind12 for less than the price of a Prophet 6.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Neat.

Unless you didn't like how P'08 filters sounded. Then it's not so neat. :D
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofine View Post
Nice synth but I'm relieved with the relief of gas! Not for me this one ...
I agree with you. This is not a must have for me at the moment. I would like to see more videos and demos before I make my decision.

I may reconsider when they come out with the module version in a year or so.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

...onboard FX, internal PSU

Just when I thought I didn't want another analog poly...
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

wow. Why not 4-part timbrality? I really would appreciate being able to have more layers.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

price will make or break this.. everything else is reshuffling deck chairs..
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbmusics View Post
price anywhere?
not yet
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

I hated the '08. But With effects, Premium keybed as stated on their website. I might change my mind. I want more demo's.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 View Post
not yet
$1500 for the 8 voice version, $1999 for the 16 voice version:

MATRIXSYNTH: Dave Smith Instruments Introduces the REV2 16-voice Analog Poly Synth

Quote:
Published on Jan 19, 2017 Dave Smith Instruments

"All sounds created on the REV2. Introducing the all new 16-voice analog REV2 poly synth!"

And the official press release follows. Ships April 2017 with a MAP of $1499.

"Prophet ’08 Successor Boasts Expanded Polyphony, Digital Effects, Waveshaping Capabilities

Anaheim, CA—January 19, 2017—Dave Smith today announced the REV2, a new 16-voice analog synthesizer designed to be a successor to their popular Prophet ’08 poly synth. Like its predecessor, the REV2 features two DCOs per voice, and Curtis filters at the heart of its sound engine, but boasts a number of significant enhancements designed to make it more powerful.
As Dave Smith puts it, “The Prophet ’08 has been a real road warrior for 10 years now and people still love it. But we felt it was time to update it with new technology and new features and, at the same time, lower its cost.” Smith continued: “The REV2 is essentially the result of our effort to enhance and improve everything we could about the original Prophet ’08 and, in many cases, double its power.”

The most obvious difference between the REV2 and its predecessor is polyphony. The REV2 has 16-voices as its standard configuration — twice the polyphony of the Prophet ’08 (though an 8-voice option is also available). Since the synth features bi-timbral operation, two completely independent sounds can be stacked or split — layered together or assigned to two different zones on the keyboard.

The essence of its sound comes from two DCOs (plus a sub-octave generator on oscillator 1) per voice, with 4 waveshapes (sawtooth, triangle, sawtooth + triangle, and pulse) and a 2/4 pole low-pass, resonant Curtis filter per voice. These are the same filters used not only in the Prophet ’08, but also in many classic instruments of the ’70s and ’80s. A new feature unique to the REV2 is waveshape modulation. You can vary the “pulse width” of any of the four waveforms by manually dialing in a desired waveshape width or by using an LFO or other modulation source for continuously shifting timbre.

An effects section provides reverb, delays (standard and BBD), chorus, phase shifter, ring modulation, and distortion. In stacked or split voice mode, you can apply a different effect to each layer. Effects parameters can be modulated through the mod matrix, which is twice as extensive as its predecessor, with 8 individual slots and many more sources/destinations.

A new polyphonic step sequencer allows up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. A different sequence can be created for each layer when working in stacked or split voice mode. A separate gated sequencer functions as a modulation source, allowing you to create up to 4 different 16-step sequences for complex modulation. Sequences allow ties and rests, and can sync to an external MIDI clock. The arpeggiator features note repeats, re-latching, and can be synced to external MIDI clock, as well. Other improvements include a premium-quality, five-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, an integrated power supply, USB support, and a crisp OLED display.

'We’ve created a monster,' joked Smith, 'and I mean that in the best possible way.'

The REV2 has a projected ship date of April 2017 with a MAP of $1499 for the 8-voice version and $1999 for the 16-voice version."
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Also, my apologies and thanks to the OP who started the "New DSI Product Announced Tomorrow" thread. I did not mean to hijack your thread. I just didn't want people to sift through 7 pages of speculations before they got to content.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

This has got to be at least $2500, right?

I'm such a slut for Curtis filters. Oof.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Neat.

Unless you didn't like how P'08 filters sounded. Then it's not so neat. :D
It's nice to see a new instrument from DSI but I just wish that it wasn't a P08 update. The DCO and Curtis filter sound has never caught my attention in the same way that VCOs do. Perhaps if DSI had added a sub OSC per voice it would have been more interesting.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

slop now goes to 11!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

OK, Dave, give us the desktop module version now.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting that he's dropped the 'Prophet' name from it.

It's just called the 'REV2', which distinguishes it from the Prophet 12 and Prophet 6.

Hmmm.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah DCO+Curtis isn't a great combo imo.. besides no poly/cross mod.. EZ pass..
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

There were a lot of tiny issues with the first edition Prophet 08. The analog "slop" on that synth was bad, for one thing. If they took this opportunity to fix all those issues people had, it would be a decent synth. I liked the general tone.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

$1500 for the 8 voice?

Now I must debate whether or not I wait a few months for this or pick up a used prophet 08 at (maybe) reduced prices.
Old 19th January 2017
Yeah, I agree about the price, especially with the DM12 being out now. I would say that this needs to be at $1500. What was the last price on new 08? I see Amazon still has some for $1400.

EDIT: Nevermind. I missed the price post. $2000 for 16 voice and an 8 voice option for $1500, hmmm I don't know. 16 voice could drop signifcantly after a year. I would say wait for that, but I personally am not interested as the Prophet 08 isn't for me anyways. I have a Marion MSR-2 which is sort of a 16 voice P08 in a rackmount.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search