The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

The Modular Thread 2017

Here is the 2017 version of my favorite thread and hopefully yours, too. This is the thread is for your plans, experiences, questions, newbie questions, and general discussion for Eurorack, MU, Buchla, Serge, Fracrack, and all of your favorite modular formats.

This year, I propose that since we do have a lot of people brand new to modulars coming to visit us, we should fill this first post with links to important sites, FAQ's, and the like. If you cool cats can think of anything else that needs to be added to this post, please let me know and I'll get it up here.

Modular system planner: Modular Grid
Forum dedicated to modular: Muff Wiggler
Doepfer's website (has a lot of example patches): Doepfer Website
Synthesizers.com's Site (dealer for Dot Com modules and has a lot of example patches: Synthesizers.com
Guide to choosing a system: SOS Guide to Choosing a Modular Synth (This page is eight years old, but mostly still relevant for deciding which format to start wtih.)

Reputable Dealers:
Perfect Circuit Audio
Detroit Modular
CONTROL Modular
Analogue Haven
Noisebug
Control Voltage
Switched On Austin
Meme Antenna
Juno records

And for DIY...
Thonk - based in UK
Modular Addict
Synth Cube

Example Starter Systems: (You guys feel free to contribute your own)
1. Cheap East Coast Design (three oscillators, lots of modulation, MIDI control, and can all fit in a Happy Ending Kit with room to spare. Approximately $1600
2. Focused on newcomer brand Noise Reap, but it's a fully capable voice for less than $800

2016 Modular Thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ad-2016-a.html

2015 Modular Thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ad-2015-a.html

And remember, you can never have too many VCA's!

Last edited by Derp; 3rd January 2017 at 01:39 AM..
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Over 200 pages last year, well done.

I guess I should move my two New Years Day videos to the new thread:

Long live [This year]'s Modular Thread!
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Boo

Might post something sensible once I get rid of this mammoth size hangover
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Links to the 2015 and 2016 threads in case future sluts want to go deep down the rabbit hole.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Self generating, evolving patches. Can you give me some beginners tips? I've been reading up on various articles and found this one particularly interesting. I have a Maths, Peaks, dual ADSR and dual LFO coming. Can I do this with what I have already and how do I get started setting up a patch like this? I need some other boolean logic and clock divider modules to trigger Maths or is Maths enough to trigger other stuff?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_354272.jpg

From last post:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...r=asc&start=60

I think one of the most interesting ways of getting a self-composing/playing patch going is to set up a chaotic feedback system. Basically, you start with at least two elements that can be linear, like the outputs of a cycling voltage controllable dual envelope generator (Maths, Envelator, DUSG, 281, etc.) or some sort of other voltage controllable cyclical waveform generators (VCO, Sport Mod, SSG, and the like) and have those two linear elements patched to modulate each other, like a tail chasing oscillator patch (that is, for instance, Maths ch.1 out multed to ch.4 Both mod in, and ch.4 out multed to ch.1 Both mod in, both set to cycle). Then, you need a voltage controllable nonlinear element (Wogglebug, Serge Random Source, Sport Mod patched as a stepped/smooth random source, 265/6, vc slewed sample+hold, etc.) thrown into the feedback loop (in the aforementioned example, take the outputs of the Maths ch.1+4 and the nonlinear element and feed them all into a mixer, a polarizing one is obviously great there, and send the output to VC ins on each of the elements, like Rise/Fall mod in on the maths and the VC in on the nonlinear element). The outputs are taken from the mixer, the individual elements, etc., which gives you a wide range of modulation sources and destinations to patch into/out of other parts of the modular, like other feedback loops, for instance, to create a very complex non-repetitive self-generating system.

Attenuation of modulation and the initial settings of each of the elements are obviously paramount here, and the whole combo can result in a wildly large array of complex modulations that won't repeat but will still have some semblance of structure, as opposed to utter randomness or noise, to patch around your system. Also, as with everything in modular synthesis land, there's a total infinitude of ways in which to go about patching this sort of thing. This is basically what's at work in this patch that I posted in the Tunes section but is somewhat relevant, though it may not be the most musical example it does show the really wide range of timbres and modulations you can get with even a relatively simple iteration of this chaotic system concept (the only adjustments I make are to mute different voices/parts in and out on the M9 mixer and to switch modes on the sport mod a couple of times):

https://vimeo.com/55843189

Self generating " Krell " Patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVTeQIHH1aQ
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Dipped my toe in with a Mother 32.. I think I'm going to put myself together a small eurorack (I know, I know..) but not with a traditional modular in mind - I'm going to build one based mostly on complete (or mostly complete) voices.. to make just a monster monosynth and hardware FSU module.

Likely starting with a Happy Ending Kit, a Lifeforms SV1 and a Mutable Clouds.. later a SE Tonestar for that 2600 flavor.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Self generating, evolving patches. Can you give me some beginners tips? I've been reading up on various articles and found this one particularly interesting. I have a Maths, Peaks, dual ADSR and dual LFO coming. Can I do this with what I have already and how do I get started setting up a patch like this?
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...rid_354272.jpg

From last post:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...r=asc&start=60

I think one of the most interesting ways of getting a self-composing/playing patch going is to set up a chaotic feedback system. Basically, you start with at least two elements that can be linear, like the outputs of a cycling voltage controllable dual envelope generator (Maths, Envelator, DUSG, 281, etc.) or some sort of other voltage controllable cyclical waveform generators (VCO, Sport Mod, SSG, and the like) and have those two linear elements patched to modulate each other, like a tail chasing oscillator patch (that is, for instance, Maths ch.1 out multed to ch.4 Both mod in, and ch.4 out multed to ch.1 Both mod in, both set to cycle). Then, you need a voltage controllable nonlinear element (Wogglebug, Serge Random Source, Sport Mod patched as a stepped/smooth random source, 265/6, vc slewed sample+hold, etc.) thrown into the feedback loop (in the aforementioned example, take the outputs of the Maths ch.1+4 and the nonlinear element and feed them all into a mixer, a polarizing one is obviously great there, and send the output to VC ins on each of the elements, like Rise/Fall mod in on the maths and the VC in on the nonlinear element). The outputs are taken from the mixer, the individual elements, etc., which gives you a wide range of modulation sources and destinations to patch into/out of other parts of the modular, like other feedback loops, for instance, to create a very complex non-repetitive self-generating system.

Attenuation of modulation and the initial settings of each of the elements are obviously paramount here, and the whole combo can result in a wildly large array of complex modulations that won't repeat but will still have some semblance of structure, as opposed to utter randomness or noise, to patch around your system. Also, as with everything in modular synthesis land, there's a total infinitude of ways in which to go about patching this sort of thing. This is basically what's at work in this patch that I posted in the Tunes section but is somewhat relevant, though it may not be the most musical example it does show the really wide range of timbres and modulations you can get with even a relatively simple iteration of this chaotic system concept (the only adjustments I make are to mute different voices/parts in and out on the M9 mixer and to switch modes on the sport mod a couple of times):

https://vimeo.com/55843189

Self generating " Krell " Patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVTeQIHH1aQ
Peaks has a nice little, wiggly sequencer in there that can be fun and good good place to start playing around with. Modulate the output with a really slow square wave via Maths and you might find some magic. Also, quantization will help, but you're lucky. Braids has a really nice quantizer built in.

Quote:
Hold the FUNCTION button for one second (it starts blinking). Peaks now provides four alternative functions instead of envelope/LFO/tap LFO/drum generation. These functions are:

Mini step-sequencer (4-step in twin mode, 2-step in split mode)
Trigger delay/shaper
Trigger stream randomizer
Digital drum synth
If you want to get fancy, there's Dead Man's Catch for Peaks that will give you a basic Turing Machine. It can be pain to get the right levels for it to install correctly, but definitely worth the trouble.

Another thing that I noticed with your system is that you might want to look into a clock divider, that really opened things up for me. I have some simple Deopfer 160 series modules in my rack that really pair well with my Yarns. A Tempi, Pamela's, or Ocotocontroller would also really do the trick with what you have.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

@justjools, self generating patches, a random module can help such as Wogglebug or Ultra random.

I find MI branches cool too, 1 input and 2 outputs so you can have a coin toss between which 2 modules receive a voltage this helps keep things varied.

A lot of folk like the Sloth modules, however I've not got one (Yet )
Which allow you to add modulation over long periods.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict
How did you guys ultimately decide which modules to go with when you were starting out? As you may know from the last thread, I'm looking to start a system, but am completely overwhelmed by the amount of choices. With oscillators, how did you pick/what did it come down to? Do folks ever get more than one kind of module? I.e. Would a Phonogene and Clouds have much overlap?
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

@smitty.west we talked about this a lot on other modules threads, I've come to the conclusion that the module you seen that finally made you want to get into modular get that module first.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Links to the 2015 and 2016 threads in case any new sluts want to go deep down the rabbit hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
How did you guys ultimately decide which modules to go with when you were starting out? As you may know from the last thread, I'm looking to start a system, but am completely overwhelmed by the amount of choices. With oscillators, how did you pick/what did it come down to? Do folks ever get more than one kind of module? I.e. Would a Phonogene and Clouds have much overlap?
Yes there are lot's of other threads and articles you can find on this but as someone who just started and dipped their toe in two months ago and now treading water and trying to work towards swimming in the middle somewhere I can add something here. To start with a subtractive synthesis set up: Oscillator, Envelope, LFO, Filter think about which particular modules you would like. MI and Intellijel do a lot of very good modules and Doepfer do good and inexpensive modules as well. There are a lot of multi modules that give you more options: Braids is a very good multi voice oscillator, and Harvestman Herz Donut is good as well (which I will get at some point). Start with a basic subtractive set up and then you will start figuring out what else you need, and like me now exploring modulation capabilities. Hope that helps.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Head

I'm getting more and more interested in going modular. Though I must admit I have no idea where to start or whether I'll actually end up pulling the trigger anytime soon. Guess I could try a Mother-32 as a gateway drug.. or is it a better idea to just dish out a bit more money for a noob/budget friendly system? How are people usually starting out?

Currently I'm not even dreaming about a monster modular a la, say, Richard Devine, but rather a basic system to twist some knobs and make simple tunes. I'm in need of a HW poly synth too which would probably be the much more sensible thing to purchase first but there's something about modular I find really fascinating.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Peaks has a nice little, wiggly sequencer in there that can be fun and good good place to start playing around with. Modulate the output with a really slow square wave via Maths and you might find some magic. Also, quantization will help, but you're lucky. Braids has a really nice quantizer built in.

If you want to get fancy, there's Dead Man's Catch for Peaks that will give you a basic Turing Machine. It can be pain to get the right levels for it to install correctly, but definitely worth the trouble.

Another thing that I noticed with your system is that you might want to look into a clock divider, that really opened things up for me. I have some simple Deopfer 160 series modules in my rack that really pair well with my Yarns. A Tempi, Pamela's, or Ocotocontroller would also really do the trick with what you have.
Thanks. That's really, really helpful. I'll explore this. I was also thinking as I use Ableton to sequence stuff, as I don't have a hardware seq but will check out Dead Man's Peak sounds good. Is there a good software sequencer that would have similar capabilities of setting up random modulation as some of the modules? Softube doesn't seem to have taken off, and I can understand why vs hands on experience but something like Metropolis as a soft sequencer would be good.

I found this which is something along the lines of what I was thinking (despite the demo) which I imagine you could use to control pitch and velocity, and generate random groves.

Random Groove Generator Pro – An Advanced Sequencer For Max For Live – Synthtopia
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Reputable Dealers:
Perfect Circuit Audio
Detroit Modular
CONTROL Modular
Analogue Haven
Noisebug

And remember, you can never have too many VCA's!

Just to add some...
Control Voltage
Juno Records - yes, they sell many modular manufacturers and have some good deals while exchange rates are good

And for DIY...
Thonk - based in UK
Modular Addict
Synth Cube

Quote:
Self generating, evolving patches. Can you give me some beginners tips?

Everyone should subscribe to this guy anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
A lot of folk like the Sloth modules, however I've not got one (Yet )
Which allow you to add modulation over long periods.
Definitely sloths is cool. You could get similar type functionality from Batumi with the expert firmware and the random shapes, then patching very slow cycles into the Batumi frequency inputs. I've not compared the paths on an oscilloscope to see if you get the true chaotic thing from Batumi.

Quote:
Decide if you want to start out with East Coast or West Coast. For East Coast, just get an oscillator, filter, dual envelope or more and a dual LFO module or more along with a VCA. Find an osc and filter that you really love the sounds of.

For west coast, get an oscillator, waveshaper, LPG and dual LFO or more along with a VCA - although the LPG can function as a VCA, I still recommend them for attenuation and CV control.

But basically research oscillators you like the sound of, then filters or LPGs you like the sound of. Youtube and muffs are great for these, and muffs in particular can tell you some related items which may lead you in a different direction than you originally intended, but works out better for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
I'm getting more and more interested in going modular. Though I must admit I have no idea where to start or whether I'll actually end up pulling the trigger anytime soon. Guess I could try a Mother-32 as a gateway drug.. or is it a better idea to just dish out a bit more money for a noob/budget friendly system? How are people usually starting out?
Don't forget about the O-Coast by MakeNoise. I think it would be a fantastic starter system other than the Mother.

Many recommend just putting the money into a case and modules, but I think either route is really a good option. You can get started with a smaller up-front purchase and get a lot of functionality that would cost a lot more in an actual modular, and you can use it with your modular later if you go full blown Euro. On the other hand, it's a lot more convenient to just have everything in your rack.

Quote:
Thanks. That's really, really helpful. I'll explore this. I was also thinking as I use Ableton to sequence stuff, as I don't have a hardware seq but will check out Dead Man's Peak sounds good. Is there a good software sequencer that would have similar capabilities of setting up random modulation as some of the modules? Softube doesn't seem to have taken off, and I can understand why vs hands on experience but something like Metropolis as a soft sequencer would be good.
Not sure what version of Live you have, but there are a few Max4Live sequencers that may do some Euro-type sequencing.

SNaKe version 1.0 by mDang on maxforlive.com (emulates a Rene, ish)
Metroposeq version 1.0 by pvdn on maxforlive.com (emulates Metropolis, ish)

There's also a Klee sequencer available for the PC. Can't remember if it's M4L or solo or what. I demo'd it and decided against it.

As far as hardware goes, BSP has dual sequencers along with a drum trigger. It does random and probability stuff. I've found using it at much more than ten or twelve percent really produces some random stuff, so I don't use it often.

Also, the Turing Machine is a fantastic random tone generator that should be looked at along with the URA/Wogglebug's IMO. Combine it with some of the expanders like volts and pulses and you have a lot of great functionality.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Sometimes, complete randomness isn't all that ... I find good generative patches are a combination of fixed and random values. Along with getting to know Peaks better, there are a couple of really cheap, CV capable devices / sequencers to look into, the Korg SQ-1 and the Arturia KeyStep. You can get a heck of a lot of good stuff out the KeyStep arpeggiator. Mix that with with a slow, attenuated square wave LFO and instant melodic, controlled randomness. As for the Korg SQ-1, at $99, there's no excuse not to get one. It's useful in systems of all sizes and a lot cheaper than the closest thing to it, Pressure Points.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict
Thanks, guys. It's kind of hard for me to determine whether or not I'd like an oscillators character from just YouTube clips though- that's what makes this so tricky for me. I'd ideally need to hear them in a more conventionally musical context as opposed to in a scientific one. I did mention in the '16 thread that to start I'm thinking of just going with a processing setup for use with my existing synths, so I'm currently trying to establish for certain if I just want to go with that or actually get some voices in there and assemble a full-on synth w/ effects. I was thinking of something like the Makenoise System Concrète to begin with for processing/effects, but I'd just get a 9u case and start with a few select modules, then later expand and include vcos/vca/vcf/mixer/etc.- the necessary modules for making an actual comprehensive synth. What do you guys think? Is starting with just a processing/effects system a good place to start? or should I ideally do both, make a synth + have processor modules? Of course it'd be more expensive.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

My god, the Batumi is amazing. Barely made heads or tails of it yet, but it's great for self patching and a lot of fun with the Benjolin, Cold Mac, and Maths for self-playing patch madness. Gotta snag a Poti expander quick to get deeper.

Also quite happy using the Squarp Pyramid to sequence my eurorack. Still early days, but I'm enjoying the results of Pyramid<Yarns<Braids in "PLUK" mode...combining different tracks on the Pyramid with different midi FX and bringing them in at will can get pretty nutty. I still need to experiment with playing the sequencers against each other, like Pyramid sending sequences triggering Yarns Euclidean sequencer, as well as sending CV back into the Pyramid, but goddamn is it deep and I've got to take some time with it.

And @Derp, this is my favorite thread for as long as it had been going. More than Muffs...more than just about any other synthesizer thread I participate in. So, props for keeping it going and keeping us all broke!
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks, guys. It's kind of hard for me to determine whether or not I'd like an oscillators character from just YouTube clips though- that's what makes this so tricky for me. I'd ideally need to hear them in a more conventionally musical context as opposed to in a scientific one. I did mention in the '16 thread that to start I'm thinking of just going with a processing setup for use with my existing synths, so I'm currently trying to establish for certain if I just want to go with that or actually get some voices in there and assemble a full-on synth w/ effects. I was thinking of something like the Makenoise System Concrète to begin with for processing/effects, but I'd just get a 9u case and start with a few select modules, then later expand and include vcos/vca/vcf/mixer/etc.- the necessary modules for making an actual comprehensive synth. What do you guys think? Is starting with just a processing/effects system a good place to start? or should I ideally do both, make a synth + have processor modules? Of course it'd be more expensive.
I'm gonna say, just get Braids. Plus, it's on sale right now at Perfect Circuit. Braids my not be the very best sounding OSC, but there's so much to that module in terms of variety and utility, it should almost always have a place in your rack, no matter how big it gets.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Guru
happy new yearz modular clowns..I'm back from holiday, tanned, refreshed and ready to go...man it was nice to get back to the ocean, swimming and pissing around with the kids outside again..it's been so long..it's amazing how much better you feel with some sunshine on your noggin..

oh nevermind I had a kidney stone and was rushed to hospital on day 4 of my holiday..was let out the same day...WORSE PAIN EVER...man I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone..
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Is starting with just a processing/effects system a good place to start? or should I ideally do both, make a synth + have processor modules? Of course it'd be more expensive.
I am not very experienced with this, but i am in the same moment of getting into it.

My decision was to expand on existing gear first and go for synth voices second.

So i'll start to build upon my semimodular synths, mainly my Two Voice Pro and my Dominion.

Which means i am not going to start with Osc, VCF, Env and LFO, but with Midi, mixers, modulations sources to "improve" the synth.

If in your case improvemnt is in effects and processing it seems to me that this is a fine enough way to start a modular. We all know where its gonna end anyways, right?
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quantizer

I am looking for a quantizer module to put it behind a Turing Machine, which i have yet find the time to build

Anyways, any recommendations or things i should keep in mind when browsing MG?

DIY is preferred but not necessary.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
happy new yearz modular clowns..I'm back from holiday, tanned, refreshed and ready to go...man it was nice to get back to the ocean, swimming and pissing around with the kids outside again..it's been so long..it's amazing how much better you feel with some sunshine on your noggin..

oh nevermind I had a kidney stone and was rushed to hospital on day 4 of my holiday..was let out the same day...WORSE PAIN EVER...man I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone..
-9 degree celsius outside the studio window at the moment .. So i am jealous, about sunshine and tan, not the kidney stone! Hope its ok now, tho .. you need to drink more!
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I am not very experienced with this, but i am in the same moment of getting into it.

My decision was to expand on existing gear first and go for synth voices second.

So i'll start to build upon my semimodular synths, mainly my Two Voice Pro and my Dominion.

Which means i am not going to start with Osc, VCF, Env and LFO, but with Midi, mixers, modulations sources to "improve" the synth.

If in your case improvemnt is in effects and processing it seems to me that this is a fine enough way to start a modular. We all know where its gonna end anyways, right?
Sounds like we're on the same page!
I'll most likely start like that as well, with some nice processors...
What module do I require to integrate my existing synths (Model D, Machinedrum, PERfourMER + Macbeth Elements coming later this month) with Euro? In other words, what will I need to start processing my synths? Some sort of module that will take 1/4" and make it work w/ euro.

What modules will you be starting with, @Coorec? How do you like the Two Voice? I'm thinking of getting one- a local shop has one that they're offering for a good price. I just don't like that the OS is so buggy at the moment.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Guru
Quote:
I am looking for a quantizer module to put it behind a Turing Machine, which i have yet find the time to build

the new tip top one looks the goods..
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Check out the Penrose: 6hp, selectable notes like the Intellijel, trigger input. DIY.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sounds like we're on the same page!
I'll most likely start like that as well, with some nice processors...
What module do I require to integrate my existing synths (Model D, Machinedrum, PERfourMER + Macbeth Elements coming later this month) with Euro? In other words, what will I need to start processing my synths? Some sort of module that will take 1/4" and make it work w/ euro.

What modules will you be starting with, @Coorec? How do you like the Two Voice? I'm thinking of getting one- a local shop has one that they're offering for a good price. I just don't like that the OS is so buggy at the moment.
To the first part of your question i honestly dont know. May be some of the more experienced modular heads can chime in. But i am sure one thing to consider is control voltages of 5V, 10V or 12V.. i know at least there are differences, just cant say how they play out for the gear you mentioned. May be not at all, may be tracking issues.. no idea really.

As mentioned i'll build mainly on the TVS, but if necessary i can bring in the Dominion as well and i am going to use my ZAQuencer too. This was mainly sparked when i realized that most of the time i reduce my 2-Voice to a SEM thats modulated by another SEM. Which is great, but not what one always wants when having a TWO-voice. My permanent bickering about this also convinced the missus to allow modular

So this basic setup gives me 7 Osc, 3 VCFs, 4-5 LFO (2 of them fully featured), and 6-7 Envelopes already.

What i do lack foremost is attenuation and mixing to bring it all together, but also certain sequencer based modulation sources. So thats where i focus to start with.

Allthough Tom O. modified the original SEM circuit with 2 additional VCAs for external mod sources (and velocity) on the TVS, i feel that i should have a mod matrix to blend CV's from Env, LFO and sequencer.. I'll go with a Doepfer A-138m for this.

To break out from my ZAQuencer i decided to go with the Vermona qMI2 poly Midi interface so i can use of both SEM's independantly. Its also an investment into the future when things certainly will start to grow.

To enhance modulation (especially random modulation with a certain amount of control i went for Turing Machine with Volts expander. Here is a great Video about it!

For audio mixing of OSC signals i'll go with a DIY Moog CP3 clone.

Here is my current MG rack. Its not much yet, but i intend to go step by step and only expand when need arises.

In the upper row you'll find the first rudiments of expanding the sound variety. Braids is just awesomely flexible and Quadnic was mainly derived from this video, because i really liked the potential it showed.

Finally i dont have any issues with the OS at all. They seem to be related to the latest OS, which i do not have.

If there is any value in my unexperienced advice at all i would say: Focus on "improving" one or two pieces of gear to begin with. It might get too complicated to think everything thru to the end at the beginning. Rather expand slowly and based on facts and experience, rather than guesses (even other more educated guesses than mine).
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
It does! . Its probably worth it with all the functionality, but 325.- Euro at Schneiders Laden is bit too steep for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Check out the Penrose: 6hp, selectable notes like the Intellijel, trigger input. DIY.
That one looks very promising. 100 moneys and DIY. Like it! Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Going through some old photo's and these were the modules i bought first.
By no means a get these modules endorsement, but i did get some great patches out of them.
As you can see from the 4ms SCM & 2xManhattan mix's, i started DIY as soon as i got into Eurorack.

Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure the Tiptop Quantizer will be fantastic and will be the Quantizer to have.

However.....

Am i the only person who thought for how long Tiptop have been working on it the official release video left them a bit flat

Then Kink released his video and everybody was saying wow, and i was still a bit flat

I assume its just I'm a grumpy old fart

I'm sure Mr. Devine will upload a 30 second video to change me perspective
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search