The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017
Old 1 week ago
Yes we NEED a seperate modular subforum
I don't like dividing our forum up in different parts, whenever there's a hype (EDM a couple years ago) but I firmly believe modular is here to stay and will even grow.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I don't like dividing our forum up in different parts, whenever there's a hype (EDM a couple years ago) but I firmly believe modular is here to stay and will even grow.
I think the fad regarding modular is about done with but even so, there's a lot of us sticking it out, so I agree it's here to stay. You go on Muff's and there's not nearly as many 'getting out of modular' sales as there used to be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I totally get it because I am one of those ppl who has 10 book ideas, all the time in the world, and zero motivation to go through with it, so good job.
Dude, just do it. It's a very satisfying experience the first time you hold a copy of something you wrote in your hands. I think the trick is that your initial outline is going to be horrible, so as you write it, when you get to parts that you feel are dry and harder to write, your audience will probably think the same thing reading it, so find ways to spice it up and keep it interesting.

Quote:
Muffs feels pretentious
That's how it feels to me. I lurk occasionally when I'm hunting for specific information, but I refrain from posting because people there are so snobby. Plus they look down on large systems, so they don't welcome me anyway.

Quote:
To each his own but I just don't do DIY. Somebody else needs to build it so they can fix it after I break it. Otherwise I am stuck with a piece of junk.
Just have one commissioned by one of the more reputable builders. @Septik builds them and they come with a warranty on the build. This is one of those modules that gets a lot of hype, but I feel it's warranted. There's just so much it can do. The way others feel about Maths, that's how I feel about O_C. It's an extremely useful tool.

Quote:
All I have left to get now is-
The Muskrat is very cool, but it does a specific thing. If you had more drums, I'd recommend it to complement them, but I think for the HP, there's more suitable and versatile options. I know you said you liked the EMW while it worked, what about the Pico Drums? Same concept, but smaller, so you could put a trio of them in less than the space of the Muskrat. Or a pair of TT One's? I've heard nothing but great things about those.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
That would be an interesting thing to see.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think the fad regarding modular is about done with but even so, there's a lot of us sticking it out, so I agree it's here to stay. You go on Muff's and there's not nearly as many 'getting out of modular' sales as there used to be.
let me reply to that with a cheezy rock tune
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
The subforum would be pretty fantastic. Without going into GS politics, it would even seem to 'make sense'.
Old 1 week ago
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Dude, just do it. It's a very satisfying experience the first time you hold a copy of something you wrote in your hands. I think the trick is that your initial outline is going to be horrible, so as you write it, when you get to parts that you feel are dry and harder to write, your audience will probably think the same thing reading it, so find ways to spice it up and keep it interesting.
I'm sure I will someday.

Quote:
Just have one commissioned by one of the more reputable builders. @Septik builds them and they come with a warranty on the build. This is one of those modules that gets a lot of hype, but I feel it's warranted. There's just so much it can do. The way others feel about Maths, that's how I feel about O_C. It's an extremely useful tool.
Maybe in the base case, or kb37, whichever comes first, but honestly I don't know man...beyond the DIY aspect it's just a thing....so far the rule that is holding is no screens with fancy displays/small fonts, and it's because I am slowly going blind. I can read the screen on the Trigger Riot/Braids/Stepper Acid without my glasses, any smaller font would be blurry without me backing off to about 3 feet or so...presbyopia is a b1tch man.

Quote:
The Muskrat is very cool, but it does a specific thing. If you had more drums, I'd recommend it to complement them, but I think for the HP, there's more suitable and versatile options. I know you said you liked the EMW while it worked, what about the Pico Drums? Same concept, but smaller, so you could put a trio of them in less than the space of the Muskrat. Or a pair of TT One's? I've heard nothing but great things about those.
The Muskrat has that special something that I really want for my drums, I think it's going to pair with the Flame FX16 (in the mail) nicely as an alien textural thing. The Simpledrum has a lot of variety to it I am guessing since you can make the 6 slots any "drum" you want. Between those, Peaks and Neuron I think I'll have quite a few drum sounds at my disposal. Tiptop One is a possibility depending on how these last few modules fit in, I might change my mind and get a couple of those instead of something and the only way I'll figure out whether I like Pithroprakta better than Grids is to bite the bullet and order one...

I just made a pretty big decision as far as selling items and started listing my SPD-SX-based electronic drum kit today...

Soon everything (except my modular and Slim Phatty performance rig) will be gone, including my buying power. Even the Octatrack is going at some point, although i have a plan for that cash (Kb 37 or Monster base) You'll love this- I sold my THIRD Virus (Snow this time) for modules while you were gone./addict Whatever, Viruses (Virii?) grow on trees, and Thor can suffice in the meantime...could I rationalize any harder?

Thanks for chiming in on the rig.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe in the base case, or kb37, whichever comes first, but honestly I don't know man...beyond the DIY aspect it's just a thing....so far the rule that is holding is no screens with fancy displays/small fonts, and it's because I am slowly going blind. I can read the screen on the Trigger Riot/Braids/Stepper Acid without my glasses, any smaller font would be blurry without me backing off to about 3 feet or so...presbyopia is a b1tch man.
Point taken. It's got some tiny fonts on that screen, so I wouldn't be able to justify it to someone that's losing their vision.

Quote:
The Muskrat has that special something that I really want for my drums, I think it's going to pair with the Flame FX16 (in the mail) nicely as an alien textural thing.
That I can verify. That's a pretty wicked combo.

Quote:
I just made a pretty big decision as far as selling items and started listing my SPD-SX-based electronic drum kit today...
That's one thing I'm surprised I haven't sold off to make room for more modules is my e-kit. It's just too much fun I guess.

Quote:
Soon everything (except my modular and Slim Phatty performance rig) will be gone, including my buying power. Even the Octatrack is going at some point, although i have a plan for that cash (Kb 37 or Monster base) You'll love this- I sold my THIRD Virus (Snow this time) for modules while you were gone./addict Whatever, Viruses (Virii?) grow on trees, and Thor can suffice in the meantime...could I rationalize any harder?
Surprised to hear the Octatrack is going since you enjoyed it so much. The Virus... to each his own. I missed mine and bought another one to replace it and I've been regretting that. Too bad the refund period is over. If I sell it now, I'd lose sooooo much money, so better to just keep it and try to learn to fall in love with it again.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Point taken. It's got some tiny fonts on that screen, so I wouldn't be able to justify it to someone that's losing their vision.

That I can verify. That's a pretty wicked combo.

That's one thing I'm surprised I haven't sold off to make room for more modules is my e-kit. It's just too much fun I guess.

Surprised to hear the Octatrack is going since you enjoyed it so much. The Virus... to each his own. I missed mine and bought another one to replace it and I've been regretting that. Too bad the refund period is over. If I sell it now, I'd lose sooooo much money, so better to just keep it and try to learn to fall in love with it again.
Good news on the Muskrat/Flame combo. Do you have a Pithroprakta? I don't think anyone here does...I have watched all the vids, just hoping for some hands-on experience...

The Octatrack is being sold to someone specific, a friend who used to get serious mileage out of a korg whatever the heck it's called (the red sampler with the tube) ESX is it?? He will flourish in the Ot's workspace. I haven't touched it myself since last year I think, it just sits there looking like a steak and potato.

I bought the Virus used, owned it for almost 2 years, and sold it for 100 bucks less than I bought it. I probably wouldn't have done it for a serious loss.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have a Pithroprakta? I don't think anyone here does...I have watched all the vids, just hoping for some hands-on experience...
Not one I've researched very hard on until now. (Tehehe. Hardon.) That's a neat concept. Looks like four Mutable Branches strapped together. I've put it on the wishlist, but I've got so many random trigger generators now that it's pretty low on the priority list. Still cool as hell, though.

Quote:
The Octatrack is being sold to someone specific, a friend who used to get serious mileage out of a korg whatever the heck it's called (the red sampler with the tube) ESX is it?? He will flourish in the Ot's workspace. I haven't touched it myself since last year I think, it just sits there looking like a steak and potato.
Sometimes I really miss having an ESX-1, EMX-1, and MPC1000 strapped together. I made a lot of music I'm really proud of with that trio. Just the ESX-1 alone, Youth Code used that as the centerpiece of their rig for their first two EP's. They managed to sound very Skuppy, so kudos to them for getting that kind of mileage out of it. I'm curious to see what your friend will do with the OT.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
it's undeniably growing. and as a user, the amount of new modules every year is amazing. it really is eurocrack cause it's nearly impossible to keep up.
I was always interested but even 10 years ago modular still seemed limited in it's scope, but today the barn door has been blown wide open. & its' only going to keep getting better.

Quote:
they look down on large systems, so they don't welcome me anyway.
they're just jealous. I expect larger systems to start becoming much more common. Even doepfer is releasing a low cost 9U 168hp monster case. I figure that's going to start being the norm (for people who actually use their modular)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

those memes...fmd laughed so hard..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Part of the reason I don't venture far outside of this thread is because yeah, I'm mostly a modular slut, but also because I just don't have the energy, time, or inclination to keep up with what's going on anymore. I feel like I don't fit in on Muff's though, so here I remain.
Quote:
Same for me, pretty much exactly. Muffs feels pretentious, like they not only live up to but embrace the typical stereotypes about modular and modular users which just don't apply to me.
Since quite some time i feel like floating in that direction too. Only things i am interested in are modules, samplers and effects.

I dont feel very at home at muffs and only go there if theres no other choice.

In this very thread people understand what they are. They dont pretend to be super special or need to over rationalize their desire to buy new interesting thingies.

Quote:
This is why I've begged for a modular subform. I don't feel safe starting threads related to modular in the hate fest that is the EM forum. All you ever get is crap.
So here i am voting my support for a modular subforum.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Another vote for a modular subforum here. Muffs is ok, sort of a necessary evil, but like others here I don't feel like I quite fit there. I find GS much more inviting to talk shop on, but it's a bit of a nightmare searching through a single yearly modular thread to find past discussions on anything. I imagine it's also pretty intimidating for anyone new to modular to try to come into a giant thread like this.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Since quite some time i feel like floating in that direction too. Only things i am interested in are modules, samplers and effects.

I dont feel very at home at muffs and only go there if theres no other choice.

In this very thread people understand what they are. They dont pretend to be super special or need to over rationalize their desire to buy new interesting thingies.

So here i am voting my support for a modular subforum.
Thanks for your support, can relate big time. It would seem most of us are of like minds on this thread, with very focused/specific interests. I think the mods are listening this time too with @Reptil rooting for us now.

Hey! I can rationalize with the best of them you know.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I was always interested but even 10 years ago modular still seemed limited in it's scope, but today the barn door has been blown wide open.
That I can attest to. Ten years ago, I was just barely getting into DotCom and there was no rush because even with Doepfer out there, I didn't see the point of modular. At the time, It was pretty much a monophonic synth voice with patch points and more modulation flexibility. It really didn't take off until about two years ago, at which point I started selling everything to pay for more modules.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey! I can rationalize with the best of them you know.
We all have our skills in that i presume.. But in modular land the Get-Both-Attitude still lives and is not watered down by X vs. Y discussions
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

+1 for a modular subforum
Old 6 days ago
A buddy (he is a very skilled tech/EE) of mine and I are thinking about starting a Eurorack company. The focus of the the first run would be effects, most likely different types of Distortion, Overdrive, and Fuzz to start but other varieties of effects and modules later. There would be more to the modules than just effects as well, part of the idea is to include some features (not ready to reveal these just yet) that Euro lovers really dig and would help set us apart. Modules would be on the cheaper side of things generally speaking, and hopefully not too fat on HP while still including CV over as much as possible.

I've gotten some advice from a few ppl who own their own module companies, large and small (Portland is good for that) so we aren't completely out of our depth here.

Not trying to pre-sell, it's still pretty conceptual. You guys think you'd be into some dedicated effect modules like that? Any ideas or features you'd like to see? I'm interested in your opinions about specifics on product details more than the business plan (so we stay basically on topic) but anything you guys think might be relevant is appreciated.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

My beard isn't righteous enough nor my jeans skinny enough for Fluff Jigglers.

I've read plenty over there, but never bother to contribute.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
We all have our skills in that i presume.. But in modular land the Get-Both-Attitude still lives and is not watered down by X vs. Y discussions
Indeed, get them all even. All Hail @Derp as the champion of "Eurokemon".
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed, get them all even. All Hail @Derp as the champion of "Eurokemon".
No way. @Beermaster has me beat by a LOOOOOONG shot. If I'm the champion, then he must be the God Emperor.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A buddy (he is a very skilled tech/EE) of mine and I are thinking about starting a Eurorack company. The focus of the the first run would be effects, most likely different types of Distortion, Overdrive, and Fuzz to start but other varieties of effects and modules later.
I've said this a million times, but there needs to be a Tube Screamer clone in euro, and there isn't. That is an important tool in the guitar world and has a tone that could make a synth rock pretty hard. Synthrotek said they'd look into doing it, but decided to go a different direction. A Tube Screamer module would be an insta-buy for me.

But other than that yeah, the more the merrier when it comes to distortion units. I've got a few myself and still want more.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
My beard isn't righteous enough nor my jeans skinny enough for Fluff Jigglers.

I've read plenty over there, but never bother to contribute.
I have a fairly impressive beard but no skinny jeans, maybe that's the problem. Oh, and my case is too big because I can't take it to the gig on my fixie.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
I've said this a million times, but there needs to be a Tube Screamer clone in euro, and there isn't. That is an important tool in the guitar world and has a tone that could make a synth rock pretty hard. Synthrotek said they'd look into doing it, but decided to go a different direction. A Tube Screamer module would be an insta-buy for me.

But other than that yeah, the more the merrier when it comes to distortion units. I've got a few myself and still want more.
Guess what?
Tubescreamer clone is one of the first prototypes, almost definitely.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

I'd love to see several guitar pedal conversions, from the Tube Screamer (an Analog Man version) to the Moog Drive and Moog Chorus to the Mutron Bi-Phase to a Teese RMC3 Wah and more.

And if someone can make a perfect clone of a Lovetone Doppelganger (Phaser / Vibrato) with a bunch of patch points, I'll love them forever and probably buy two.

Zvex showed the path with his FF and Lo-Fi modules... and I'd love, love, love to see Chase Bliss make some modules of his pedals.

Go for it...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guess what?
Tubescreamer clone is one of the first prototypes, almost definitely.
Just point me in the direction my money needs to go, sir.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A buddy (he is a very skilled tech/EE) of mine and I are thinking about starting a Eurorack company. The focus of the the first run would be effects, most likely different types of Distortion, Overdrive, and Fuzz to start but other varieties of effects and modules later. There would be more to the modules than just effects as well, part of the idea is to include some features (not ready to reveal these just yet) that Euro lovers really dig and would help set us apart. Modules would be on the cheaper side of things generally speaking, and hopefully not too fat on HP while still including CV over as much as possible.

I've gotten some advice from a few ppl who own their own module companies, large and small (Portland is good for that) so we aren't completely out of our depth here.

Not trying to pre-sell, it's still pretty conceptual. You guys think you'd be into some dedicated effect modules like that? Any ideas or features you'd like to see? I'm interested in your opinions about specifics on product details more than the business plan (so we stay basically on topic) but anything you guys think might be relevant is appreciated.
If it can't build within the ER-301 (which is a good litmus test for a builder), I'm in ... Elaborating a bit, in the past few weeks I've convinced myself at one point or another that I need a clocked delay, compressor, octave shifter, input module, and LPG. Right before I hit buy I always check and ask myself, "couldn't I just rig one up on the ER-301". Let's just say that little box has saved me a bunch of money so far.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search