The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC live
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
anyone using the MPC 2.0 as a plugin? or as a full DAW?

Lots of things to learn this MPC Live. Sometimes it get's confusing with the "Track" or "Pad" mixers.
A program (16 pads x 8) must be assigned to a track (channel). That track has its own mixer settings (volume, pan, sends) and you can assign plugins to it.
Every pad of a program has the same features: volume, pan, sends, and plugins.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Yup, I feel this will be the last mpcs just based on the fact that when the Ren was released, there were many, MANY complaints of issues with the software and heavy bugs etc, they slowly got it together and people gave them the benefit of the doubt with these new mpcs and they messed up again lol.
Yeah, MPC v1.0 was a disaster. And this is coming from an Akai fan.

I felt that Live and X were their chance to remedy the reputation they got back then, but imho they're still not fully hitting the mark.
Units are out there; however, there's never been any official announcements about them…they just appear in stores one day.
And afaik X still isn't properly out there in EU (it is in USA).

Software is still in beta with no info as to when it'll be the official version. It feels slightly funny, as users have paid full price for it. One difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is that now they're finally actually calling it beta at least.

Wi-fi and Bluetooth advertised on box, yet they haven't been implemented yet.

Akai has been aware of missing plugin delay compensation for 5+ years and supposedly re-written the software since, yet it still isn't there, and any and all replies from Akai regarding it come from their dev, and the replies are vague at best ("I still do not have any confirmed timeline for when PDC features will drop") while I'm trying to make it explicit that my question is only about whether they are working on it and not about a date.

You have the same software on both standalone and MPC software on the computer (according to Akai), yet there is no way to edit automation on standalone or delete specific automation (only all of it) while you can do it in software.

You cannot copy and paste specific midi notes: only all of them per track.

You can make Grammy-award-earning hits with them if you have it in you, so that's not the question at all. You'll make great music with it quickly, and imho it's still by far the best device for making sample-based music real quick, and it's a ton of fun.

It's just, there's always something very baffling about Akai and how they run things. I love their stuff to an extent but strongly dislike how they're run and how they behave towards their users.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

For 1200 bucks I don't think it's the best device for making quick sample based beats. Both Push and Maschine are nearly half the price and you can make beats just as fast if not faster as they have a more tactile approach imo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxedPoetic View Post
For 1200 bucks I don't think it's the best device for making quick sample based beats. Both Push and Maschine are nearly half the price and you can make beats just as fast if not faster as they have a more tactile approach imo
This!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post

I felt that Live and X were their chance to remedy the reputation they got back then, but imho they're still not fully hitting the mark.
Units are out there; however, there's never been any official announcements about them…they just appear in stores one day.

Software is still in beta with no info as to when it'll be the official version. It feels slightly funny, as users have paid full price for it. One difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is that now they're finally actually calling it beta at least.

Akai has been aware of missing plugin delay compensation for 5+ years and supposedly re-written the software since, yet it still isn't there, and any and all replies from Akai regarding it come from their dev, and the replies are vague at best ("I still do not have any confirmed timeline for when PDC features will drop") while I'm trying to make it explicit that my question is only about whether they are working on it and not about a date.

You have the same software on both standalone and MPC software on the computer (according to Akai), yet there is no way to edit automation on standalone or delete specific automation (only all of it) while you can do it in software.

You can make Grammy-award-earning hits with them if you have it in you, so that's not the question at all. You'll make great music with it quickly, and imho it's still by far the best device for making sample-based music real quick, and it's a ton of fun.

It's just, there's always something very baffling about Akai and how they run things. I love their stuff to an extent but strongly dislike how they're run and how they behave towards their users.
Yes I hear you, I just have no idea why they chose to not build their new 2.0 software with pdc, it makes no sense. I genuinely feel nukai is a very shady company in that regard. Even if one was to hate Ableton or NI, they develop, announce, make you wait a month (if at all) and release.. Yes there might be a bug or two but that is soon fixed. Akai doesnt do ANY of this, they seem to skate by based off of their history (even though their history has NOTHING to do with the company anymore lol).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is what has been running through my mind every time I watch a new video or read the latest WTF with present MPC users. I'm looking to make a move into new territory, sampling and music mangle mode, but I can't really figure out which way to go yet. I really like the form factor of the MPCX, but for $2200 I could get Push2 and Abelton Live, a new 8 in/out interface, and a NEW computer. Or something else, I'm mostly an audio guy, but having a controller for whatever software I might use and pads for sample launching and playing sounds is important for my workflow. I like hardware boxes.

I don't mind spending $2200 on the X if it was essentially close to being a combo of the Digitakt, Abelton, and of course the MPC thing. A competent sampler I can multitrack with. The 2.0 software looks adequate enough. I'd be sick if I dropped that dough though for a machine that doesn't really give me that "WOW" factor though. I just don't think I'd dig Abelton, I don't like how the software looks for one, plus I like old school transport controls, like how the X is laid out.

I guess i'll just hang back and wait and see.
Old 1 week ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even if one was to hate Ableton or NI, they develop, announce, make you wait a month (if at all) and release.. Yes there might be a bug or two but that is soon fixed.
That's revisionist history.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxedPoetic View Post
unfortunately allot of false equivalencies are being drawn by people that in my personal opinion should know better. I own Maschine, Push, and others as well as the mpc Live and some other mpcs, because of this I know that comparing spending 1200 bucks on an mpc and comparing spending 1200 bucks on a push or a maschine doesn't make any sense. You are talking about 3 different paradigms that make it very clear within each of their premises that if you need one then you definitely don't need one of the other two. By that I mean if what you are looking for is an ableton experience with computer and push then the mpc is not for you because the paradigm is different. If what you want is a maschine then the mpc paradigm is not for you because it's not about being locked into an eco system like the native instruments paradigm.... the number one features on an mpc are not the screen and the browser, the number one features on the mpc are the sampling and editing ... if you don't care about variation in your music then you want the maschine paradigm... it's very quick to create a loop in maschine that does not change tempo because it can't, does not change time signature because it can't , does not record mutes because it can't... does not do allot of things.... why? because they didn't make it to be that kind of flexible and versatile songwriting tool. They made it for browsing kompletes massive library of sounds, they made it for making quick loops with no variation that flip back and forth between traktor. They charged you a $1000 bucks and you still couldn't record a mute.

digitakt and elektron are also different, push is different and actually a grid based instrument with follow actions better to be compared with something like the monome, launchpad pro, maschine jam etc.... but if you're looking for that experience then you're not looking for the mpc experience /paradigm. People really need to start making comparisons that make sense and if they cannot do that then at least make the comparisons accurate by narrowing them down to their composite parts so that it shows that at least people know what they are talking about and can help others with the information.. compare the sequencers on their own... compare the sample editing on it's own, compare the physical I/O on it's own, etc.... for example.. on an mpc live you can stick an sd card, a thumb drive, an external hard drive, and an internal ssd drive all at the same time without a computer... there is no other hardware instrument that can do that and at $959 which is what I paid for mine why in the hell would I compare that to a maschine it wouldn't make sense.
However I do make comparisons on of them all based on their parts... I compare maschines fx to the mpcs fx, I prefer maschine/ableton. I compare maschines sequencer to the mpcs and even with legacy mpcs it's no comparison I prefer the mpcs and thats even without vst capability, I prefer ableton for it's grid prowess follow actions and the whole yard in addition to that ableton is my daw of choice so when I'm looking for that experience it's ableton hands down.... when I want to control a gang of out board gear and sequence external gear I without a doubt prefer the mpc etc... of course all of these machines have overlap but their core principles and paradigms are not the same.... ableton is a daw that you can play, maschine is a quick loopmaker but even more so a conduit for the native instruments komplete eco system, and the mpc is a sampling drum machine in the classic sense with some updated connectivity and even though it is also an hybrid controller it's an even better controller for other hardware.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
That's revisionist history.
terrible revisionist history at that..... maschine has had bugs for 7 years.
there's allot of dishonest brokering and misinformation out there, it's a little ridiculous.
Old 1 week ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
terrible revisionist history at that..... has had bugs for 7 years.
there's allot of dishonest brokering and misinformation out there, it's a little ridiculous.
Right! Ableton Live 9 still has a pretty major unresolved PDC issue... Live 8 was such a disaster that they put development on hold for years to focus on bugfixes... There were pro users who paid for a Kontakt 2/3 license and used the cracked version instead because it was more stable... And etc.

Last edited by mp3; 1 week ago at 08:29 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I hear you, I just have no idea why they chose to not build their new 2.0 software with pdc, it makes no sense.
My best guess is they didn't write it again…doesn't make sense.
Maybe they redid the GUI and that's it.
Not one competent dev aware of lack of PDC start a whole new job and ignore it…again.

Akai does have some history of lying.
E.g., when Ren came out, they explicitly said its MPC 3000 / 60 emulation is due to the same exact circuitry path that was used back then, this time inside the Ren. Later on we found out the button on the Ren controlling that simply just turned a certain plugin on in the software.

Their products are quite alright, but their communication and business model is quite horrible.

BTW once again I was talking to two Akai guys, Pete (a dev) and Simon, on Twitter, and once again they got silent as I was asking about PDC.
They always react to praise but get silent when you try and ask about stuff that's probably not on the roadmap.
I respect companies such as Elektron who actually have balls to say things like they're not going to work on Octatrack mk1 any more (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but afaik this was said by Elektron staff on their forum).
Old 1 week ago
mp3
Lives for gear

^ I'm sure you'd feel differently if you owned an Octatrack mkI

Anyway, I'm sure you'd be met with silence by a lot of companies on a lot of subjects, especially those concerning current product bugs/issues, and future product plans. They're in the business of making money, not making friends... And I say this not to excuse behavior, but to frame it. I.E. its time to get real and realize that people act a certain way when money is involved. And with companies, money is always involved. You guys seem to live in a world where businesses and corporations are held to the same code of conduct as deacons and pastors. That's just not realistic guys...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
^ I'm sure you'd feel differently if you owned an Octatrack mkI

Anyway, I'm sure you'd be met with silence by a lot of companies on a lot of subjects, especially those concerning current product bugs/issues, and future product plans. They're in the business of making money, not making friends... And I say this not to excuse behavior, but to frame it. I.E. its time to get real and realize that people act a certain way when money is involved. And with companies, money is always involved. You guys seem to live in a world where businesses and corporations are held to the same code of conduct as deacons and pastors. That's just not realistic guys...
Ha, I do own an Octa mk1! :P
And what I meant is, if it's looking something isn't going to happen, it's OK to be truthful about it (instead of being silent about it for years and years).

What I understand fully is not letting people know about dope new features. I'm under two NDAs myself and don't want to blow it. You couldn't squeeze anything out of me (unless you bribed me with amazing beer and studio gear).

What I do not understand is *not* giving users faith regarding some rudimentary basic-level features such as plugin delay compensation that we should've had years ago.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My best guess is they didn't write it again…doesn't make sense.
Maybe they redid the GUI and that's it.
Not one competent dev aware of lack of PDC start a whole new job and ignore it…again.

Akai does have some history of lying.
E.g., when Ren came out, they explicitly said its MPC 3000 / 60 emulation is due to the same exact circuitry path that was used back then, this time inside the Ren. Later on we found out the button on the Ren controlling that simply just turned a certain plugin on in the software.

Their products are quite alright, but their communication and business model is quite horrible.

BTW once again I was talking to two Akai guys, Pete (a dev) and Simon, on Twitter, and once again they got silent as I was asking about PDC.
They always react to praise but get silent when you try and ask about stuff that's probably not on the roadmap.
I respect companies such as Elektron who actually have balls to say things like they're not going to work on Octatrack mk1 any more (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but afaik this was said by Elektron staff on their forum).
Yea man and wow I totally forgot about the bs behind the "hardware" mpc3000 emulation lol.

Sad really, they used to be such a great company.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea man and wow I totally forgot about the bs behind the "hardware" mpc3000 emulation lol.

Sad really, they used to be such a great company.
Yeah…was working with my MPC 60 II tonight, using Step Edit to hop from a midi event to another, thinking, heck, Live/X still don't have it…the List Edit button on the X gives you a "Coming soon" screen.

It's easy to tell the drop in quality from MPC 4000 to 2500…the 4K was the last "real" Akai before they got sold.
That's where the downhill started in a way.
Old 1 week ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah…was working with my MPC 60 II tonight, using Step Edit to hop from a midi event to another, thinking, heck, Live/X still don't have it…the List Edit button on the X gives you a "Coming soon" screen.

It's easy to tell the drop in quality from MPC 4000 to 2500…the 4K was the last "real" Akai before they got sold.
That's where the downhill started in a way.
Actually, they released the 1000 before they went bankrupt and Jack O'Donnell / inMusic / Numark took over. So actually the 1000 is 'the last MPC from old Akai'. But since the 2500 is really just a 1000 in a bigger box, that's actually really 'the last MPC from old Akai'. Not that any of that matters in any way...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This!
Not really. Call it irrational but if you don't like using a laptop on stage then these aren't a substitute. What's more, some of us just never liked producing in Ableton. . .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
A program (16 pads x 8) must be assigned to a track (channel). That track has its own mixer settings (volume, pan, sends) and you can assign plugins to it.
Every pad of a program has the same features: volume, pan, sends, and plugins.
i would luv to have the option to use more than one program per track .... so i could use non-destructive chopping on different drum breaks, create a program for each drum break and than load program1 on bank A, program2 on bank B and so on ... and than layer the best fitting hits of the different drum breaks with each other ....
somebody told me it's possible to load more than one program per track on some old mpcs with the right jjos ... but it don't know if this is true
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
i would luv to have the option to use more than one program per track .... so i could use non-destructive chopping on different drum breaks, create a program for each drum break and than load program1 on bank A, program2 on bank B and so on ... and than layer the best fitting hits of the different drum breaks with each other ....
somebody told me it's possible to load more than one program per track on some old mpcs with the right jjos ... but it don't know if this is true
This is a bit picky though right? . . . I mean if you don't want to just layer different programs on different tracks, there's nothing stopping you from putting two drum breaks in a single program. It's not as straightforward but it can be done non-destructively using sample assign (yes it may take a while longer to set up). Don't forget you've got 32 pad slots on the Live.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
unfortunately allot of false equivalencies are being drawn by people that in my personal opinion should know better. I own Maschine, Push, and others as well as the mpc Live and some other mpcs, because of this I know that comparing spending 1200 bucks on an mpc and comparing spending 1200 bucks on a push or a maschine doesn't make any sense. You are talking about 3 different paradigms that make it very clear within each of their premises that if you need one then you definitely don't need one of the other two. By that I mean if what you are looking for is an ableton experience with computer and push then the mpc is not for you because the paradigm is different. If what you want is a maschine then the mpc paradigm is not for you because it's not about being locked into an eco system like the native instruments paradigm.... the number one features on an mpc are not the screen and the browser, the number one features on the mpc are the sampling and editing ... if you don't care about variation in your music then you want the maschine paradigm... it's very quick to create a loop in maschine that does not change tempo because it can't, does not change time signature because it can't , does not record mutes because it can't... does not do allot of things.... why? because they didn't make it to be that kind of flexible and versatile songwriting tool. They made it for browsing completes massive library of sounds, they made it for making quick loops with no variation that flip back and forth between traktor. They charged you a $1000 bucks and you still couldn't record a mute.

digitakt and elektron are also different, push is different and actually a grid based instrument with follow actions better to be compared with something like the monome, launchpad pro, maschine jam etc.... but if you're looking for that experience then you're not looking for the mpc experience /paradigm. People really need to start making comparisons that make sense and if they cannot do that then at least make the comparisons accurate by narrowing them down to their composite parts so that it shows that at least people know what they are talking about and can help others with the information.. compare the sequencers on their own... compare the sample editing on it's own, compare the physical I/O on it's own, etc.... for example.. on an mpc live you can stick an sd card, a thumb drive, an external hard drive, and an internal ssd drive all at the same time without a computer... there is no other hardware instrument that can do that and at $959 which is what I paid for mine why in the hell would I compare that to a maschine it wouldn't make sense.
However I do make comparisons on of them all based on their parts... I compare maschines fx to the mpcs fx, I prefer maschine/ableton. I compare maschines sequencer to the mpcs and even with legacy mpcs it's no comparison I prefer the mpcs and thats even without vst capability, I prefer ableton for it's grid prowess follow actions and the whole yard in addition to that ableton is my daw of choice so when I'm looking for that experience it's ableton hands down.... when I want to control a gang of out board gear and sequence external gear I without a doubt prefer the mpc etc... of course all of these machines have overlap but their core principles and paradigms are not the same.... ableton is a daw that you can play, maschine is a quick loopmaker but even more so a conduit for the native instruments komplete eco system, and the mpc is a sampling drum machine in the classic sense with some updated connectivity and even though it is also an hybrid controller it's an even better controller for other hardware.
You clearly took my comment way too seriously.

Obviously the Live is $1200 for a reason but most people already have a soundcard and a laptop so storage and I/O is kind of a moot point. I was simply countering their opinion that the MPC live is the best tool for making quick sample based beats. If someone simply wants to create quick sample based beats, there are better options that cost less, IMO.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
This is a bit picky though right? . . . I mean if you don't want to just layer different programs on different tracks, there's nothing stopping you from putting two drum breaks in a single program. It's not as straightforward but it can be done non-destructively using sample assign (yes it may take a while longer to set up). Don't forget you've got 32 pad slots on the Live.
as well as padlink
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
straightforward is the keyword! i'm still on the mpc studio ... my workaround would be to make one wav file of all the breaks i want to layer and than chop it up, but in reality i don't know which breaks i want to combine before i already try it out ... layering different programs on different tracks is horrible in this case ....
i don't kow what you mean with 32 pad slots

but i'm really interested if it's possible to load more than one program on one track on some of the older mpcs like somebody told me
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I can understand Luxx dislike of akai cause we all gotta go with the instruments we like or what's the point but as far as I know akai isn't forcing anyone to buy the mpc live or mpc x, if they are in your house forcing you to do so then call the police.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
straightforward is the keyword! i'm still on the mpc studio ... my workaround would be to make one wav file of all the breaks i want to layer and than chop it up, but in reality i don't know which breaks i want to combine before i already try it out ... layering different programs on different tracks is horrible in this case ....
i don't kow what you mean with 32 pad slots

but i'm really interested if it's possible to load more than one program on one track on some of the older mpcs like somebody told me
one advantage of having a break per program is that when you're done setting it up you've got a library of break programs ready to go for whatever way you wanna use them, and you can mix and match them freely with padlink
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can understand Luxx dislike of akai cause we all gotta go with the instruments we like or what's the point but as far as I know akai isn't forcing anyone to buy the mpc live or mpc x, if they are in your house forcing you to do so then call the police.
See thats the thing, I have no reason to dislike Akai or any company for that matter. Their business practices are just horrible.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's nothing Wait until you confuse the Program MIDI volume (which is sequence dependent) with the Program Volume (which is for the entire project).

Oh what about looping your pad loop? I have to go to a different page, go to LFO and choose "note on"

What???? why???

and reversing a loop? why do I have to process it? why can't I just press "reverse"

But I think tonight I'm done with my tutorials. I haven't read the manual for the MPC LIVe.. I'll read it as I like to read.

I played around with the Software2.0 a little and I think I will be using it as a VST inside Logic instead.. That's what I'm really excited about.

Last edited by mpresev; 1 week ago at 11:07 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
you can mix and match them freely with padlink
that sounds great .... time to read the manual again hahaa
thanx
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
See thats the thing, I have no reason to dislike Akai or any company for that matter. Their business practices are just horrible.
if that's the way you feel it sounds like a good reason to me
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What does it say when you try to?
It asks me for ilok account..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
It asks me for ilok account..
It's supposed to.
You seem to be online now…
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search