The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Analog Drum Machine
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
Seeing as the 909 will be an influence, can we have this capability at the least Uli?

Apparently looking at the notes the only other drum machine that can do this is the Elektron Machine Drum.

you can do this even with the ancient Korg ER1 *and* set the notes you want triggered.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I really like the sidechain input function on the TR-8! Would like to see something similar, but perhaps more flexible (I don't think it can be controlled by midi on the TR-8, which is a shame)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuldrew View Post
I really like the sidechain input function on the TR-8! Would like to see something similar, but perhaps more flexible (I don't think it can be controlled by midi on the TR-8, which is a shame)
It can! I remember reading it... It's a super low note C0 or F-1... something like that... It's assignable to any drum note on the JD-Xi...

Edit: oh well that's just triggering it... The JD-Xi is exceptionally more programmable and versatile than anything in the Aira line. Find myself wondering if Roland will kill that department for actually delivering rather than leaving the customer wanting more. They did remove the Drums from the XA and the Analog Filter on the Xi is not capable of processing external sounds so maybe that was the Roland Factor at work...

Curtis filters on Drum Sampler? That could be neat... Self-oscillating Resonant Curtis Filter for kick with Noise and sine/saw input? Noise and Square Snare?

Last edited by Discopotato; 1 week ago at 01:05 AM.. Reason: Second paragraph
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Uli,
I want that (with tune for clap/hats!) but at the lower price you can and with pads for mute/solo/steps like the DrumBrute!!!

Any chance to have a date of availability?? This summer?? September?? Xmas???
Thanks a lot!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Uli, just:
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by actarus_23 View Post

Uli,
I want that (with tune for clap/hats!)

So... you want a copy of a copy?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I fear we are heading into inception territory here people. Has anybody ever been 3 deep in copy copies?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I want a brand new analog drum machine with modern functionalities and good 909 sound for a great LOW price. Maybe you're rich, I'm not.
Old 1 week ago
Has anyone cloned the Tempest?
Old 1 week ago
I'm not sure if it has been suggested yet, but it would be great to be able to modulate certain parameters. Especially if they installed a mod matrix in a similar way to the DM-12. I would love to have a hardware drum machine that offered a way to add more movement to the groove.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
There are some great suggestions here, anyway my meagre requirements would be.. I want a LM1 that sounds like Prince, Human League (Martin Rushent) add in a DMX too, I don't need a TR808/909. The new thing would be to make it all technically accurate regarding timing etc. One member has already mentioned to include the finer details that make a drum box groove.

It was a long time ago now, maybe I misunderstood the demo, the Synclavier can alter (shift a track/part) back and forth in realtime at the touch of that big silver knob. The demo had a running drum track and the guy spun the knob and the hi-hat pattern could be moved a few "ticks" either way so we could hear how the groove changed. It was one of those "oh wow" moments.

I want a box where I just don't need to think about latency, midi delays, sync problems, rise times, noise, headroom or ANY technical issues etc.

Also again many members have stated, the box must be fun to "play", easy hands-on experience, little menu diving which I find to be a distraction, I suppose there will be as much design effort going into the control/human interface as the sound generation part.

Basically I want to "play" with the box and not have to learn more technical stuff finding work-arounds and limititions.

It would be fun too if the thing looked soopa space age, TV/stage-ready stylee. Back in the day I remember when Simmonds revealed the SDX we were all stunned into silence (jaws dropped) and thought... "wow what the hell is that.. I want one!" In fact one came up on eBay recently, I was tempted to buy it, knowing though, chances it would never work right but still looked amazing.
Old 6 days ago
As long as we are wishing for things...

I would love a Tempest kind of machine, with a better OS and more memory. Same awesome silicone pads and layout etc. More voices wouldn't hurt either. So:

- 8 voice analogue/digital hybrid with individual outs (stereo!)
- 2 DCO's with drift options, hard sync + sub OSC
- 2 digital OSCs with sample import and a variety of waveforms (noice, pitchable noise, square, sine etc.)
- Analogue Ring midulator
- Cross mod between OSCs
- Same project/beats/sounds setup as the Tempest but with more memory and the ability to easily switch between projects without interupting the live session.
- 2 Multi-mode filters per voice (clone from MFB dominion 1 preferably)
- Build in distortion that goes from subtle to smashing, assignable per sound and/or main output
- Build in compressor with regular controls, assignable per sound and main output
- OLED screen, doesn't have to be big, Tempest screen is great!
- at least 5 fast envelopes, at least 3 freely assignable, all with adjustable curves (AD/ADSR switchable, of course with Peak option as well as a delay option)
- 2 or more syncable LFO's with a great variety of triplets and dotted options.
- Mod matrix
- Sequencer that can handle polymeters
- Touch strips assignable per beat and per sound with every parameter assignable to them and in multiple layers
- Other performance tools such as reverse, beat repeat, loop, randomize (with extra options to tailor the randomness)

So, an Tempest MKii on steroids I guess
This would not be cheap probably, but I'd buy one :P. On the other hand Tempest is unique in this regard, and probably won't be replicated ever. One can dream though!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Dear all,

first of all I like to wish you a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Sometime in July this year I announced we are looking into developing analog as well digital drum machines. I thought I would now share with you aspects of the development process.

At this stage our main focus is on sound creation and for this purpose we resurrected the highly regarded 808 and 909 analog drum machines from the '80's.

Attached are the pics of the first evaluation boards that allow us to study and compare the sound of analog drum instruments. However, our intention is not to clone these products but to evaluate analog sound generation and add a great user interface and sequencer.

I can tell you that the team is having lots of fun listening to these drum sounds that greatly contributed to amazing music in the past. It is actually not surprising that people gravitate to analog sounds as it is the imperfection that evokes emotions. Perhaps it is the fact that we humans are analog, too:-)

While we are far away from releasing a finished product, we thought we would get you involved in this enjoyable design process.

As always we love to hear your opinions.

Uli
I would also advice you to study a Syncussion, you won't regret it. They go for silly prices.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

It needs to have a few sample-playback slots with adjustable bit-rates and DAC emulation (to f.e. simulate SP12 crunchy sounds), and these slots need a fader based pitch control like the SP12, so samples can be easily pitched over steps...might even be mini-faders when lack of space
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Sampler w seq, loaded w Linn, ROLAND, DMX samples. 16 note poly. Done. Check please!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
We would love to hear your opinion and invite you to share your ideas and dream features with us.
Uli
I'm currently trying to work with an analog drum machine, here's what I like to see different.
1) forget about copying Roland sounds. Always sound like cheap components to me. It's been done and the possible creative uses have been achieved.
2) Less sounds with more control, higher quality
3) Hi-Hat to be done by hi-pass on white noise. ( not those horrible plastic pseudo-chimey things). Check out the old Soundmaster machine.
4) Controllable from a midi foot controller. Start/Restart a pattern directly at any time (i.e. allow stutter with free timing) . BPM from drum machine itself.
(i.e. can be midi controlled without having to receive midi clock, for instrumentalists who want real time control of their 'drummer'.
5) Midi Implementation chart available.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search