The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Analog Drum Machine
Old 29th December 2016
  #631
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I was expressing confusion, but if you want Captain Obvious Pedant I can do that too

What you've missed is that not everyone knows that you can't tune the kick on a stock 808: most people haven't used one or otherwise have any reason to known its specs intimately.

Given that, your critic of some clones for ultimately being authentic followed by your support for an "authentic 808 clone" that's not really authentic (not even sonically, pitch is part of the sound, or at least I do not consider pitched up/down recordings of my voice to be authentic) was confusing.

Cue my earlier comment. Should be clearer now.

Btw, I get what you're getting at and generally agree with it
I'm pretty sure most people on this board know you can't change the pitch of an 808 kick.
Old 29th December 2016
  #632
Lives for gear
 
the_soulcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
And stop calling the Deep Mind any kind of success until it A) ships to retail and B) is received well by independent reviewers who aren't paid off or given a free review unit.
Well, by the amount of preorders it's a success already.
And it's also available in the shops ie. Thomann.
So the "Sound on Sound" & SonicState reviews aren't independent enough for you?
Old 29th December 2016
  #633
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'm pretty sure most people on this board know you can't change the pitch of an 808 kick.
Honestly, I spend too much time here but have little idea who the dozens of recurring names I see are or what they really know. Then there are the hundreds if not thousands just silently browsing by. Hell, we're in a thread made by Uli Behringer, of all people, who comes from a very different world.

Personally, I don't remember where or how I learned that but it might have been when TR-8 came about, since that lead to me taking a closer look at the 808 (I'm more 909), and noticing a few things I hadn't payed attention to before. It's kind of hard to assume. Maybe it's more common knowledge in the Hip Hop sub, maybe not.


Anyway, sorry for the distraction.
Old 29th December 2016
  #634
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post

Make a drumbrute clone
Old 29th December 2016
  #635
Lazersounds, a 108 piece percussion kit and a ****ty kickdrum and a 5V wallwart please.



Ok,

What I would buy;

Four 10x10 cm drumpads, Kick, Snare / Rim, Hihat open, Hihat closed.
A stellar sample collection inside of those four drum elements 200 kicks, 200 snares etc.
A proper +/- 15V powersupply feeding the analog output stage and no ****ty wallwart (I like my drums punchy and dynamic)
Four balanced outputs (one for each pad)
No FX and any other bull****.
A adjustable "ROll" function to create proper sounding snare rolls instead of tiktiktiktiktiktik.
Knob per function, no menu diving.


I know, it's never gonna happen, it will be too good, we can't have that
Old 29th December 2016
  #636
Gear Addict
 

Old 30th December 2016
  #637
Yeah ! ... another 808 clone !

I am actually doing the same thing but only for the kickdrum, not the whole 808, I have managed to score all the original parts, opamps and transistors that were used by Roland back in time... My plan is to do an improved version with tuning and 100% velocity sensitive, good powersupply and nice audiograde caps.

Uli probably read this also; http://www.dafx14.fau.de/papers/dafx...formed,_ci.pdf

The Roland circuits were very clever thinking, very clever, so I hope Ulli learns something from this as this could indeed result in a very nice drummachine.
Old 30th December 2016
  #638
Lives for gear
 
tehlord's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
Yeah ! ... another 808 clone !
It specifically says not to expect 808/909 clones.
Old 30th December 2016
  #639
Lives for gear
 
Soothing Sound's Avatar
If it's not a clone why using 808/909 names in the first place? I think that's what it's confusing some people.
Old 30th December 2016
  #640
Lives for gear
 
the_soulcatcher's Avatar
funny how some people fail on simple things like reading properly
Old 30th December 2016
  #641
He is studying the 808 909 circuits wich are indeed a special brew, to learn and come up with something 'better' ... this could end up very well.
Old 30th December 2016
  #642
Lives for gear
 
Soothing Sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
funny how some people fail on simple things like reading properly
There's so many clones around so when a company just says 808 or 909 the clone idea superimposes immediately
Old 30th December 2016
  #643
Lives for gear
 
VennD68's Avatar
Just like the I can't believe their not Boss Pedal line
Old 30th December 2016
  #644
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
funny how some people fail on simple things like reading properly

Some people don't seem to understand a punn,... and don't seem to understand the basic electronics behind drummmachines at all, and don't have a clue what Uli is actually doing right now.


Go on...
Old 30th December 2016
  #645
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
He is studying the 808 909 circuits wich are indeed a special brew, to learn and come up with something 'better' ... this could end up very well.
I hope it does!

I'd love to have an exquisite drum machine collection to pull from. Already adding TT-78 and DrumBrute this year. Will add this as well if it's right.
Old 30th December 2016
  #646
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 

I have a

909

xbase09

machinedrum v1

so my suggestions for this thing are going to be entirely different from another persons. Just make whats gonna sell a lot. But make it deep enough for those who like to tweak things.
Old 30th December 2016
  #647
Gear Maniac
 

For me a drum machine that can create those classic drum sounds (don't forget the 606 and DMX by the way) but also stand out on it's own in creating new original drum sounds is best. Parameter locks would be nice. Ease of use and workflow is key. I have an Analog Rytm and my only complaint is I don't like the file management system, that and I can't quite get 606 hats. By the way it's worth looking at the Tanzbar which I think is one of the best sounding analog drum machines on the market.
Old 30th December 2016
  #648
Gear Maniac
Not sure if this was mentioned yet (assuming all previous 22 pages were mostly about 808/909 clones ) but I would prefer to see a rack module. I already have a BeatStep Pro so no need for something else eating up desk space.
Old 31st December 2016
  #649
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
That's fine, but geez, there are so many drum machines and sample libraries that cover those bases already. Can anyone say truthfully that they don't have easy access to those sounds?
Yes but maybe you slightly missed the point in the post, those sounds are the standard and if you don't provide them then the target market is limited straight off which is why I said them and the rytm should be looked at and bettered if possible.

A Performance machine like the rytm makes every other drum machine look positively numb IMO, if that was used as a base for future machines (instead of an 808 etc) and improved upon like I said, then we may look at a drum machine that pushes boundaries and forward thinking while still managing to tip it's hat to the past, which people will always look for whether we like it or not.

An ER-1 on steroids mixed with a bastardised rytm 808 child would kill all IMO.
Old 31st December 2016
  #650
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idm0r View Post


Do you have a couple of hours?

Though 'similar' is a broad concept I guess. But there's so much more than 808/909... really. Do you call a heavily processed 808, layered with about 10 more heavily processed 909 and 808s (think heavy distortion and compression etc.) similar to a stock 808/909? Because there's a whole genre that thrives on that concept alone....

Anyway, it's great that they check out the guts of those great legends. They are legendary for a reason and a perfect base to create something new, more tweakable, layerable etc.
Why would you face palm it when you actually agree with it?

Like I said, show me a popular genre in electronic music that hasn't used those sounds, FACT is if you create instruments you do it to make money, you won't make money if the percussion sounds like nothing nobody recognises or can't be used across many genres.

Do you think if I made a sample based machine where all the sounds were from my terrorcore and gabber collection it would sell? Can you see hip hop and pop producers using super distorted kicks, snares and cymbals that tear holes in space? Sorry but if this were so then producers such as MOH, Tieum, Hellfish etc would be millionaires.

What does the biggest selling drum sample library sound like? Most cloned and mentioned machines? What sounds have made more money in electronic music than anything else? Why is this do you think? That's rhetorical btw in case it's not obvious, I know you know so I'm not asking.

We are in agreement in our sentiment to a degree, I don't want what I've got boatloads of but I know and can also recognise it's actually going to be a necessity if the machine will have a chance of success. Like I said in the post you chose to lol at, improve on the best machine available and advance on the classics.
Old 31st December 2016
  #651
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
And USB Midi doesn't help at all if you want to control hardware synths/ samplers. So only 1 physical midi in/out port is not enough
Really? Take One look at the rear of maschine, that manages just fine

I'm not saying that deluge is right, I'm really not and I would rather multi outs and not just 1 USB or midi but it's certainly enough, you need a host or a box to assist which you will have anyway if you've got other gear.
Old 31st December 2016
  #652
Gear Maniac
 

NOBODY expects the 809 clone!

Our chief weapon is a deep kick, a deep kick and a snappy snare...

Ah, our TWO weapons are a deep kick, a snappy snare... and a funky cowbell...

Our THREE weapons are a deep kick, a snappy snare, a funky cowbell, and an almost fanatical devotion to Uli Behringer...

Our FOUR... no, AMONGST our weaponry are such diverse elements as a deep kick...

I'll come in again...

(Cardinal Biggles. You'll have to do it...)
Old 31st December 2016
  #653
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarc View Post
NOBODY expects the 809 clone!

Our chief weapon is a deep kick, a deep kick and a snappy snare...

Ah, our TWO weapons are a deep kick, a snappy snare... and a funky cowbell...

Our THREE weapons are a deep kick, a snappy snare, a funky cowbell, and an almost fanatical devotion to Uli Behringer...

Our FOUR... no, AMONGST our weaponry are such diverse elements as a deep kick...

I'll come in again...

(Cardinal Biggles. You'll have to do it...)
Wonderful
Old 31st December 2016
  #654
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjazz View Post
For me a drum machine that can create those classic drum sounds (don't forget the 606 and DMX by the way) but also stand out on it's own in creating new original drum sounds is best. Parameter locks would be nice. Ease of use and workflow is key. I have an Analog Rytm and my only complaint is I don't like the file management system, that and I can't quite get 606 hats. By the way it's worth looking at the Tanzbar which I think is one of the best sounding analog drum machines on the market.
hear, hear
Old 31st December 2016
  #655
If it's going to have XOX style note input please use plastic buttons, not squishy rubber or anything sticky. One should be able to swipe their finger over the whole run of sequencer buttons to input or turn off.
Old 31st December 2016
  #656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Why would you face palm it when you actually agree with it?

Like I said, show me a popular genre in electronic music that hasn't used those sounds, FACT is if you create instruments you do it to make money, you won't make money if the percussion sounds like nothing nobody recognises or can't be used across many genres.

Do you think if I made a sample based machine where all the sounds were from my terrorcore and gabber collection it would sell? Can you see hip hop and pop producers using super distorted kicks, snares and cymbals that tear holes in space? Sorry but if this were so then producers such as MOH, Tieum, Hellfish etc would be millionaires.

What does the biggest selling drum sample library sound like? Most cloned and mentioned machines? What sounds have made more money in electronic music than anything else? Why is this do you think? That's rhetorical btw in case it's not obvious, I know you know so I'm not asking.

We are in agreement in our sentiment to a degree, I don't want what I've got boatloads of but I know and can also recognise it's actually going to be a necessity if the machine will have a chance of success. Like I said in the post you chose to lol at, improve on the best machine available and advance on the classics.
I was certainly not agreeing with you. You talked about popular AND underground music. That made me laugh. There's apparently a broad spectrum of genres you have never heard before if you make a statement like that.

Now you throw it on 'biggest selling' and 'popular'. You literally said in your previous post that there's no such music with a fanbase that doesn't use those conventional sounds. Which is laughable. I just pointed out that you are flat wrong. To me, the more interesting music doesn't use those conventional sounds. Techno being the sole exception to that rule.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #657
Lives for gear
 
teamsterjim's Avatar
 

I just want Ulli B. to continue on.
I know it will be good.
I still have a BCF 2000 that served me until the Physis K4.
Can't wait to get this.
Will trigger it up to an acoustic kit live, and record with it at home..
Old 3rd January 2017
  #658
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I hope the guys at Behringer have a better ear for the kick drums on this unit than the guys at Arturia did for their drum machine...

that kick on the Drum brute is ass..
Old 3rd January 2017
  #659
Lives for gear
 
cake100's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I hope the guys at Behringer have a better ear for the kick drums on this unit than the guys at Arturia did for their drum machine...

that kick on the Drum brute is ass..
I just could not get into the kick on that.
I am waiting for this or these now.
Old 3rd January 2017
  #660
Lives for gear
 
El-Burrito's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Drumbrute clone with proper sounds is not a bad idea.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump