The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Analog Drum Machine Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 3rd November 2016
Here for the gear

For me, a quality analog overdrive in the signal path. Not something that sounds cheap. Something like the Earthquaker Devices White Light for example... I think that it is still the case that analog overdrive/distortion/fuzz sounds better than digital equivalents. Nothing sounds quite like my Barber Trifecta (on guitar or bass) for example! :-)

Switchable insert per drum part? Or on the stereo outs? I'll leave the routing of said effect in the hardware to the experts! :-)
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear
Hopefeully Behringer will NOT make it a 808/909 clone and limit themselves.
They have so much better ideas.
Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Head

Can't give an answer on the question, but I have to applaud Uli for taking the step towards gearslutz for asking the people's opinion!!
Old 3rd November 2016
2nd that ...

I second this dude 100%. If you research every drum machine ever made (and I have) this is what's missing.

Make the outputs analog and you got yourself a soup going!

[QUOTE=lineofcontrol;12196192]I also believe a standalone drum machine isn't enough. We have a lot of competition in that arena already and the new Drumbrute has really got so many bases covered.

What is missing is a hardware sampler and sample player type of machine.

With dedicated performance controls such as sample start and end points which work in real time. Freeze and granularity too.

Look to the modular world for innovation. The qubit Nebulae sample player has everything I am taking about. Combine that with the Make noise Phonogene and put that into a knobby box and you have a winner.

/QUOTE]
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Whatever you do, please put trigger inputs on it so it can be used for analogue electronic drums! Also, the ability to alter the sounds would be great.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eanna View Post
For me, a quality analog overdrive in the signal path. Not something that sounds cheap. Something like the Earthquaker Devices White Light for example... I think that it is still the case that analog overdrive/distortion/fuzz sounds better than digital equivalents. Nothing sounds quite like my Barber Trifecta (on guitar or bass) for example! :-)

Switchable insert per drum part? Or on the stereo outs? I'll leave the routing of said effect in the hardware to the experts! :-)
just buy the new elektron Analog Drive
Old 3rd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
just buy the new elektron Analog Drive
How very Gearslutz of you to say so... :-)

Nice 'pedal' alright, but I'm good for drive in all its guises. Use pedals with my bits of outboard already, not looking for more. It was a suggestion for Behringer that they consider for their drum machine. For modest circuitry, you can open up
a bunch of great tones with a decent quality drive.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eanna View Post
How very Gearslutz of you to say so... :-)

Nice 'pedal' alright, but I'm good for drive in all its guises. Use pedals with my bits of outboard already, not looking for more. It was a suggestion for Behringer that they consider for their drum machine. For modest circuitry, you can open up
a bunch of great tones with a decent quality drive.
I'm sure they will put drive in a drum machine and probably a million other effects as with DM12

I can see them doing both a standalone drum machine AND a separate sampler sequencer box...that complement each other... two cheaper units rather than one do it all box... but you never know

There is Deluge of course from NZ, looks really interesting to, they could clone that
Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Nut

Rytm but more sampling options is all i need.
Something in between rytm and octatrack but with a nicer screen and interface
Old 3rd November 2016
Here for the gear
I would love to see some Simmons style drums, theres neither hardware nor software that does the job! The world needs more of this spacey simmons sound!
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiedelfinn View Post
I would love to see some Simmons style drums, theres neither hardware nor software that does the job!
ALYJAMES LAB | VSDSX VST --- SIMMONS SDSV DRUM SYNTH

Quote:
The world needs more of this spacey simmons sound!
not so sure about that, but ok.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Doesnt work on 64bit and Aly James doesnt reply to anyone anymore, seems dead developer.
that is true, unfortunately. too bad, he started porting to 64-bit with 'V-Linn/V-Prom', but that was a while back and nothing more. still using 32-bit myself though, a handful of VSTs that i like too much to switch over. i really should invest in 'jBridge' though, to see if that will work for me.

still hoping that Aly James completes his Fairlight emulation one of these days.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Yes it is a shame as I have 32bit version of this, have since upgraded to 64bit, I do use Vlinn a bit too since he ported that to 64bit , such a shame he seems to have stopped supporting all his stuff.
Old 4th November 2016
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojunky View Post
The purpose of this little piece is threefold:
a) As another reference set of capabilities others may find useful when ........snip......... of the sound - but it needs to be something!
Lol Hammerhead was 90% MC-303 samples.

Last edited by Reptil; 13th November 2016 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: shortened quote
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Head

Ohh!!! Hammerhead! Stomper!!! You might as well add Rubberduck Now i feel old hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojunky View Post
The purpose of this little piece is threefold:
a) As another reference set of capabilities others may find useful when ........snip......... of the sound - but it needs to be something!

Last edited by Reptil; 13th November 2016 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: shortened quote
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

I'll second the trigger inputs.

The way BazzISM handles kickdrum processing would be awesome too.
Old 5th November 2016
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Ohh!!! Hammerhead! Stomper!!! You might as well add Rubberduck Now i feel old hahaha
I had all 3 at one point lol... don't make me feel old too.
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

MPC style sampler sequencer w/ built in keyboard w/ mulitmode analog resonant filter per voice, 32 voice polyphony. 8 individual output with dedicated AD DA loop for overdubs.
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

clearly, a faithful TR808 with extended 'modded'
parameters, sub 500 eu, analog, with outs, trig
outs, lightweight. not sure the arturia has it,
soundwise. include all the other 909/CR78/tr33/66 etc
and a load of relevant samples, + easy user sample
load+params. (..8-, 12-bit with oldschool VCA path?)
(on SD ?!! 2 slots!! with hotswap, copy between
cards etc.)

onboard indiv fx buss/eq etc. for those
who just want to use main stereo (on the move..)
a nod to the TR626 for the programming, (707/727/R8
lcd dot grid? backlit ..)

something that takes the best of them and takes it
higher, in the same way the DM12 does that to juno.

tr808 (+626) were the first things i ever had - back
when you could grab an 808 for 250quid -before i
was even aware of what MIDI was, and it is an
instrument in itself, a synthesizer, beyond mere
rhythm machine. and they ARE rare, only 11K built,
and the original is very limited really, you really feel
you want to be able to tune this, extend decay of
that, etc.

with drum machine evolution, everyone seems to have
borrowed ideas from other machines. Yamaha copy+join,
appeared on Alesis, for example. shift clock per drum
can be good; tr626 has shuffle and flam per step, accent
per step (7 levels), pattern chain modes. copy pads is a
good alesis idea ( in bigger kits - maybe not with 11 voices)
the 'good idea' on electribes is the way parameters are
stored with patterns, so you can have 'scene changes'
-that really makes a difference. could be activated or
not, depending on how you want to use it.

also, using 2 drum machines is more fun than one. maybe
have twin kits+sequencers? able to operate as independant
units, with their own patterns and mutes etc.
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

It's interesting to see that most of the demands stagger between the strict emulations of ancient things that have already been done to death, and the never ending fantasy of the 'one does it all' machine.

The one does it all synthesizer doesnt exist. It will never exist. And I'm inclined to think it will also be the case of drum machines.( Some beeing more versatile than others, but others doing perfectly the few things they have to) For those who have spent enough time to study the 'topology of synthesizers' this won't be a surprise : Some things are mutually exclusive.

Creating a new dream by emulating or copying some ancient dreams machines has no other interest than making nostalgia available to masses, when ancient machines become rare, or very pricey. It can be a very noble task. Or just marketing surfing on demand. For developpers, It can be really challenging and interesting, or just gimmicky and to the edge of fraudulence. Except, if you push things further and add a complement of xxith century to spice the old soup.

Then some posters also asked for 'something new'. I'd second that.
Percussive sounds are strictly a part of the overall synthesis project. They can be done in many different ways, using many different tools, and get the benefit of many different rythm oriented features.

It's nearly 2017 : Let's go further. Let's think different.
Old 9th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamprecision View Post
please:

a simple copy of a 909 with individual outputs

a simple copy of an 808 with individual outputs

no extra bells or whistles, just make sure they THUMP like the originals

oh yes please ensure they respond to midi clock absolutely perfectly - maybe get david lackey from innerclock systems to advise on this aspect

they need to respond to song position pointer too
Old 9th November 2016
Lives for gear

I'd like to see something with percussion sounds rather than the typical kick, snare, hat, etc.
Sort of like an analogue tr 727 with tweakable sounds.
Old 9th November 2016
Gear Head

Kinda offtopic? but I'd really love to get the analog+digital machine with analog control knobs and (!!!) with the remote touch control capabilities like that marvellous Beardytron 5000 mk2. Seriously, low latency sample mangling with real time high-quality effects from TC/KlarkTeknik and looping both analog instruments and samples.

Uli, we need a killer and we know you can do it.
Old 11th November 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Doesnt work on 64bit and Aly James doesnt reply to anyone anymore, seems dead developer.
thats true and its just available for win as far as I know.

Quote:
not so sure about that, but ok
according to all the synth demos on youtube many people are going for this "a broken frame" sound, which is awsome btw.
Old 13th November 2016
Here for the gear

Serious studio Drum Sampler / Synth sound design workstation with real portability is what I want. No rehashing, something new to ADD to all the shtuff we already have. A mobile drum workstation would be amazing and really set apart.

I think we need something like a hybrid of Elektron Octatrack and Rytm but more Octatrack) still with a very good VST editor like the Rytm.

Here is where inspiration in my opinion should come from:

Hardware inspiration:

Elektron (rytm and octatrack)
Tempest
Sherman Filterbank2
Casio SK1 (microphone)
Nord Drum and Nord Wave

Software inspiration:
Tremor (amazingly creative drum synth)
Glitch 2 (sequencing FX and filters)
Xfer Serum (LFO, envelopes, FX, simple routing, and Macro controls)
Micotonic (Simple programming, cool morph feature)
Kick 2 (drum sample designing)
Breaktweaker (good pop in effects/filters and sample layering and manipulation)
Absynth (Randomize and mutate patches)
Twisted tools Ultraloop (creative use of muting parts of layered drum loops)
ChipCrusher (bit reduction, noise, and speaker emulation)
Trash 2 (Distortion)
Image line SliceX but with abelton like warping
Regroover (unmixing samples for mixing)

Cool features/ideas that I would like:
A lot of the normal to be expected drum machine options
Mobile battery powered mode (laptop battery)
100% sync recall and routing with DAW via VST plugin (deeper control on VST)
4 way Parameter/Preset Morph XY pad
A lot of voice source options (VCO or DCO, Wavetable, Sample playback, noise, FM and Ringmod options)
many LFOs and envelopes with modular routing similar to Xfer Serum
Audio in
basic built in microphone like casio SK1 for quick sampling
a lot of sample manipulation capabilities
simple audio editor with warp markers and chopping
parameter locking
Macro control knobs
Randomize and mutate options
record anything (incoming and on-board)
good harmonic tuner with a lot of adjustments, other good metering
poly rhythmic
good swing and off grid movement settings
custom time signature options that can be changed per part
easy external triggering via midi
key tracking for samples, OSCs, and filters that can be recorded to a sequence
Simple interface with a lot of power with ability to dig really deep if needed
Fun instrument like play ability with good pads
Anything can be routed anywhere via the editor
Good screen (a lot bigger than elektron but can easily work on the machine without it for more basic stuff and ideas)

*A ton of DSP effects that can be themselves sequenced Per sound (like having glitch 2 for each sound source / voice. Also need the wild effects like real time stretching, reversing, granular, pitch, ringmod, retriggering, time freezing, real time pitch manipulation, convolution reverb, gate, compression, self oscillating delay, buffer, phaser/flang/chorus, TONS of filter types vowel and combs, and distortion etc, I'm sure I'm missing a ton of cool ones.

I want something I can get really sound designy with!! PLEASE don't limit the machine to something like everything else out there. Even if you go all digital if it has a ton of sound design stuff that nothing else can do then I will buy it especially if portable. Although having some analog flavor would definitely add to the way the machine feels. The interface will be everything. I have ideas on this although I think someone in the design field would be better suited than I. All I can say is take away some ideas from software and good hardware interfaces. Quality endless led encoder buttons, military grade. Sure I know everything is not possible but if I were to dream then this would be close to perfect features.
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Nut
I think a lot of the suggestions here, if it were to take onboard all of them, wouldn't suit a Beringer product. It's just too much and would be incredibly expensive. So, I'd suggest a back to basics approach. What made the classic Roland's so enduring? They aren't very flexible, but they have that simple, no frills, gets the job done sequencer and an amazing sound. That's all you need. If you want to make an analog drum machine, you don't need sampling, or pcm or FM. Just analog. Make sure it can do good kicks, snares, hats and toms, and some kinda kraftwerky percussion stuff. Just get that basic sound right, give it a classic, simple to use sequencer and launch it at a very competitive price.

Individual outs as an optional extra or on a 'pro' version, maybe.
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Does this thread feel like it resolves in the same split as the Tempest vs LinnDrumII? That is to say, great minds have already thrown all the ideas into a blender and came out realizing that to make an affordable and useable product, they had to basically settle on two products.
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Addict

I personally think Uli is wasting his time on another drum machine. There are plenty great machines out there including some great clones of classics
Besides that, it's a far smaller market than synths so financially it would not make that much sense either. Unless he can come up with something none of us already have or something so special that everyone really all of a sudden wants one. However I can't think of anything that isn't already out there to be honest...
Old 13th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
I think a lot of the suggestions here, if it were to take onboard all of them, wouldn't suit a Beringer product. It's just too much and would be incredibly expensive. So, I'd suggest a back to basics approach. What made the classic Roland's so enduring? They aren't very flexible, but they have that simple, no frills, gets the job done sequencer and an amazing sound. That's all you need. If you want to make an analog drum machine, you don't need sampling, or pcm or FM. Just analog. Make sure it can do good kicks, snares, hats and toms, and some kinda kraftwerky percussion stuff. Just get that basic sound right, give it a classic, simple to use sequencer and launch it at a very competitive price.

Individual outs as an optional extra or on a 'pro' version, maybe.
I am not going to buy another hammer if I already have one that hammers nails just fine. Also the handle on my hammer is comfortable. I might consider a nail gun.

I agree that simple interface and design is key, kind of like the Deepmind. But the deep control in my opinion is what makes the Deepmind actually interesting and sound good. Like those DSP effects.
If they make a normal simple analog drum machine I won't buy it because what would it do that we already cannot do? There has to be a reason for me to not just use samples or other drum machines. I truly think they should look to the areas in between everything else and beyond to make an interesting product. If it improves speed of workflow and adds some sick sound design potential that might spark my interest.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search