The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-09
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Roland TR-09

Ok I give in. Can anyone tell me if it allows on-beat mid-pattern switching (quantised to 1/16)?
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

I demand to know why this is not a popular thread.

Also can someone answer the original question TIA
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

I don't think anyone wants to encourage creating threads for every specific question related to a product when there are already multiple threads for the same product.
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

There was no specific thread for this product
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear
Earwolf, I will answer the question here if you split the money 50:50
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

You have a deal
Old 15th October 2016
Gear Guru
So ... how do I power this thing?

Can I just slap an iPhone adapter at the end of a USB cable and I'm good to go?
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
So ... how do I power this thing?

Can I just slap an iPhone adapter at the end of a USB cable and I'm good to go?
yes
Old 16th October 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
yes
Thanks!!
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Just wanted to drop by the "official" TR-09 thread to mention I just ordered one. I couldn't resist. Seems too convenient & fun.
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Yay official! I did it mum!
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Ok bach if you can answer the original question I'll call off my extensive legal team
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Ok I give in. Can anyone tell me if it allows on-beat mid-pattern switching (quantised to 1/16)?
Huh?
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh?
Can anyone tell me if it allows on-beat mid-pattern switching (quantised to 1/16)?
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Nut

The manual says no. This thread is so boutique.
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if it allows on-beat mid-pattern switching (quantised to 1/16)?
No ... why would u want that?
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modulargrey View Post
The manual says no. This thread is so boutique.
I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately I don't have a million dollars for you. I also admired the "boutique" text size.
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Think outside the err box my friend. Many inspired rhythms that way lie.
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Loving this OFFICIAL thread activity. Mods could we make this sticky and me given a free tr-09?
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Think outside the err box my friend. Many inspired rhythms that way lie.
Change the last step
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Change the last step
Sorry but not the same thing. Maschine allows it, Spark too. Even volcas do. Should be standard on ALL rhythm devices.
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Guru
Well u can do it ... just not how u want to.
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Nut

Circuit does it. Very useful. I use it in the second half of this video

Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
the fact that you don't realize the potential of this function (or even what it is) disappoints me. it really is a brilliant way to work existing patterns into something new. it allows you to cut directly to the next pattern (at any point), instead of waiting for the current pattern to end before switching.
Old 20th October 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
the fact that you don't realize the potential of this function (or even what it is) disappoints me. it really is a brilliant way to work existing patterns into something new. it allows you to cut directly to the next pattern (at any point), instead of waiting for the current pattern to end before switching.
I do this on my QY700 all the time.. I love it.. dunno why you'd need to do it on the nearest 16th.... I've experienced it on the Volcas and it's annoying. I sometimes need to change 4 boxes at once... not fun if one has to be done perfectly..

Also.. most importantly.. why one would want to do it with a 909 beat.
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do this on my QY700 all the time.. I love it.. dunno why you'd need to do it on the nearest 16th....
how exactly does it work (or just how do you use it) on the QY700? set to 16th-notes allows you to pretty much "instantly" cut between patterns for fills, variations, etc... i use this function on Maschine patterns, which i think is always pretty much "instant" (can't recall right now if there are different quantize options to allow it to "wait"), but Ableton clips in Session mode can be set to a number of different values (1/16, 1/4, 1/2, etc... i think the default is 1-bar?). i think this functionality is available on the DSI Tempest, which i thought was pretty cool.

Quote:
I've experienced it on the Volcas and it's annoying.
haven't used them (besides the Bass for a little bit), is this their default behavior when switching patterns? i'd actually find that surprising.

Quote:
I sometimes need to change 4 boxes at once... not fun if one has to be done perfectly..
so during "the last bar before the change-up" you quickly switch to the next pattern on all four one after another? nobody said it would have to work like that all the time, he just asked if the option was available. it's just a great way to "play" your patterns in real-time, but obviously you'd be focused on just that one machine in that moment.

Quote:
Also.. most importantly.. why one would want to do it with a 909 beat.
like i said above - for fills, variations, breaking out of that "static 1-bar looping pattern" sort of thing, whatever. not sure how you can't see the usefulness in this function, for any sort of pattern-based machine. oh well... [/shrug]
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

@jbuonacc yeah you can make maschine wait, there are various options right up or down the time scale, it's a great performance function for live pattern switching and improv which is pretty much how I use it once I've built the basics of a track, not just on percussion but synth lines etc too
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
@jbuonacc yeah you can make maschine wait, there are various options right up or down the time scale, it's a great performance function for live pattern switching and improv which is pretty much how I use it once I've built the basics of a track, not just on percussion but synth lines etc too
you can do this when you're switching patterns by holding the Pattern button (or with "Pattern" mode locked) and hitting the corresponding pads? just tried playing with some of the Grid/quantize options, but couldn't figure it out. i'm totally fine with the "instant" switching, so i've never really looked into it much. how is it done?

EDIT: i think this can only be done with Scenes, but not with Patterns like i'm saying?

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...-clips.257068/

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...tterns.131911/

like the guy says in that second thread, seems switching Patterns using the Maschine pads only works like legato switching in Ableton. (??)
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

maybe I'm reading you wrong and misunderstood (which is totally possible), I'll turn it on to be sure when I get home and come back to ya
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search