The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-09
Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by actarus_23 View Post
I only want to use DISTO on the OUT of the 09..... Nothing MORE. But I can't use the 09 in MONO.......
someone mentioned that there is a mono out next to the headphones out?
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
someone mentioned that there is a mono out next to the headphones out?
Where??.....

Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by actarus_23 View Post
Where??.....

Don't know, ask the person who wrote it some posts ago.
Old 12th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
Don't know, ask the person who wrote it some posts ago.
The "Output" jack is in stereo. It's basically another headphone out though I think the impedance is slightly lower.
Old 2nd February 2017
TR-09 Recording

Has anyone recorded a song using the TR-09 yet? Did you use the analog mix out or the USB multi-outs?

I've noticed when syncing it with Cakewalk Sonar Platinum that if I have the DAW metronome set to a pre-count, the TR-09 will start playing about 2 beats in instead of the full measure I specified for the pre-count.
Old 26th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
Have had mine a few days now and I'm really digging it.

I have the 5 USB audio channels piped into Renoise running VST effects. Everything is synced up nicely, with TR-09 as master. No dropouts or hiccups. The Audio In jack is also sent over USB, so handy to have.

Contrary to my earlier post, you CAN pan over USB, but only on on the main mix channel, not the 4 separate stereo channels. So not all is lost. It's no big deal to multitrack if needed.
However, it's the immediacy of this machine that attracts and, paired with a USB MIDI controller (MPK mini), this could easily be the beating heart of a killer mini party rig.

My new big gripe - and others have mentioned - is that the knobs are too close together. I have dainty fingers and I still can't do a full sweep on the Level knobs. A bit frustrating (and painful at times).
Apart from that, I have no complaints. Does exactly what it says on the tin, adds some nice features like mutes/Solos, Tuning, decay, 32nd notes.

Most importantly, it sounds really, really good and is fun to tweak, sore fingers nothwithstanding.

Thanks for posting about the USB. So if I understand correctly, you get 4 stereo outs and you can hard pan the stereo master out giving you two mono outs. 10 channels total... 2 mono and 4 stereo pairs. Do I have that right?

Thx!
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Nut

Did you find good knobs soft touch with D-SHAFT for the 09??
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Thanks for posting about the USB. So if I understand correctly, you get 4 stereo outs and you can hard pan the stereo master out giving you two mono outs. 10 channels total... 2 mono and 4 stereo pairs. Do I have that right?

Thx!
No. You can only pan the master channel, so you get 6 outputs, 4 of which are stereo, 2 mono (panned master).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does anybody know the default kick/snare compression setting numbers? I futzed with mine last night and can't remember the default numbers. Tanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Thanks!
Actually, this info is wrong...

Compression only goes from 0-100 and the default on both kick and snare is 0 as I just found after doing a factory reset.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Actually, this info is wrong...

Compression only goes from 0-100 and the default on both kick and snare is 0 as I just found after doing a factory reset.

Ouch. Thanks for the correction!
Old 1 week ago
I've owned a TR-09 since December and just last night I tried to see if I can record it via USB. I own both PC and Mac DAW computers. First of all it's useless on a PC because virtually all PC DAWs use ASIO audio drivers, which only recognize a single audio interface, so basically Roland's USB multiple output solution is a total rip-off scam.

So I installed the USB driver on my Mac Book Pro. Talk about a major pain in the ass to set up! Took me about an hour to do. And then I fired up .5 and can't seem to record anything but handclaps. I'm giving up on this USB output scam by Roland.

As a workaround, on my PC DAW, I slave the TR-09 via MIDI and individually solo each drum part to record from the main output into a mono track. The sync sounds tight enough, and any latency can be edited out by chopping some dead space before the first hit and moving the track files up to the start of the bar.

Last edited by Elsongs; 1 week ago at 11:28 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
First of all it's useless on a PC because virtually all PC DAWs use ASIO audio drivers, which only recognize a single audio interface, so basically Roland's USB multiple output solution is a total rip-off scam.
I've been using multiple interfaces with ASIO4All without any problem. I also own a TR-09, and have had no issues with recording over USB.

YMMV
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
I've been using multiple interfaces with ASIO4All without any problem. I also own a TR-09, and have had no issues with recording over USB.

YMMV
Which interfaces do you have though? ASIO4All might not be the best solution for certain interfaces in terms of latency.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I have a mac and it took me all of 5 minutes to install drivers, setup an aggregate device with my interface, and then you will see all 5 stereo channels available in your daw. My main interface runs at 96 KHz and so does the tr-09.

In logic, the main output is called tr-09 mix (I believe) and works fine. You can use the menu on the unit to assign the other 4 stereo pairs and pan if you'd like. By default all channels are assigned to the main mix and I don't believe any of them are assigned to usb1-4. Assigning is a piece of cake.

If you have a mac at least, it really isn't worth complaint about. I can understand some whining if you have to use a PC. I did test it in Renoise on a surface pro 4 and it works fine there as well, but I don't know how to combine the outputs of the tr-09 and my interface.

In all, for $350 I think it's a fantastic deal! Truth be told I bought it to sound like a 909 so I don't need to do much post processing with the individual drum channels, especially with the built in kick compression. I also appreciate the default panning on the main mix. I bought it in the wee hours of the morning during a July 4th sale and by the time it arrived I was thinking about retuning it to fund a Digitakt. After using it for 20 minutes though, I really really like it. Based on my experience there is a very high probability I will end up with tr-08 as well. Maybe I'll just build a hardware boutique version of ReBirth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
Which interfaces do you have though? ASIO4All might not be the best solution for certain interfaces in terms of latency.
Currently I'm running my guitar through a Laney IRT pulse, into my DAW, through several FX, Amp sims, and out to a Blackstar BEAM. Round trip less than 10 ms with no issues whatsoever. Using ASIO4ALL. Very happy with that performance.

Other soundcards I've used in a multi-card setup in ASIO4ALL, multi-track recording with guitar, hardware synths and VST:

Novation Audio Hub
Novation X-Station (2 channels)
Zoom H2
Zoom G2
Zoom R24 (8 inputs)
Tr-09 (5 channels)
ESI ESP 101 (8inputs)

Has never failed me in Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Maybe you should try again and fiddle with the settings.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
Maybe I'll just build a hardware boutique version of ReBirth.
LMAO I've had this idea and so many other people have too Hahahaha. Both of the Drum Machines have the compressors and the 03's have the delay and distortion even...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

i demoed a TR9 in a shop earlier, i think it sounds loads better than the TR8. i don't like the knobs though, anyone else finding them really slippery? wondering if there's a way to replace them?

another question i have is when powered via via usb does it disengage the internal batteries?

Last edited by fattyparts; 1 week ago at 08:04 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
If by tr 9 you mean tr 09. Yes it does
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain fairy View Post
If by tr 9 you mean tr 09. Yes it does
cheers, thanks for clearing that up
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyparts View Post
cheers, thanks for clearing that up
The internal batteries just serve as backup power if the USB power is unplugged. Memory is saved in flash RAM and doesn't need batteries to store pattern info.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

on this ASDR video they talk about how the developers are working on Tempo and drum settings will be saved with each pattern. Anyone know if this is still on the cards?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All I can say is that I bought it and the TB-03 on a whim and have been quite enjoying acid on the couch for the last couple weeks. They're authentic enough that I'm having fun and don't hear any minor differences in use. Did I mention having fun? Because I'm having a lot of it with this pairing and my brain keeps saying "sounds like a 909 and 303." The knob size/feel isn't an issue after modular/Volcas, it's just small controls on a relatively inexpensive piece of gear.

Don't believe the hate, the TR-09 rules. The 909 has largely been one of my lesser favorites of Roland's classics, but with the 09 I'm gaining way more appreciation for it. The overall workflow clicks for me in a way that emulations/samples never did, and I think that has a lot to do with the programming approach, swing, and overall feel of the machine. It makes me program differently, in ways that sound more authentic than the other sequencers I have. So, even if the sound itself may be a little different, it still sounds like a 909 to my ears because of how it plays. After a decade of software/clones this is kinda huge, it makes it way more of a fun instrument...as in, I want to play it and program it like I would an instrument and not a piano roll or regular step sequencer. I'm sure I'd love an OG 909 even more, but that's out of budget and the Tr-09 is cheap enough for a fun impulse buy. Also, lots of fun if I didn't mention it already
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
The knob size/feel isn't an issue after modular/Volcas, it's just small controls on a relatively inexpensive piece of gear.
The knob feel on the TB-03 is like BUTTER. If only the TT-303 had these kinds of knobs...

I agree, playing the TR/TB Boutiques live is awesome and SUPER F-U-N. It's just making studio recordings of them that's a major buzzkill/pain in the ass.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search