The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RE-303 project (it's not a TB-303 clone, it's a replica) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

RE-303 project (it's not a TB-303 clone, it's a replica)

i need to get on this.

where do i get all the impossible parts?
Old 21st April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i need to get on this.

where do i get all the impossible parts?
the original CPU is the hardest part to find, the rest can be found around the world. Since the QS CPU is now officially confirmed to work in the RE-303 (there was a problem at the beginning of the project which was power related), this isn't such a big deal anymore and there'll be a new CPU specially developed for this project too at some time in future.

Starting with the power supply, the sumida coil came with the PCBs from dinsync.info. Semtech on ebay is a good source for 2sb647c and 2sd667c transistors. The 2sb596o came from US (ebay) and so on..
I worked with a friend of mine together sourcing the parts, so we could share shipping costs and we tracked down all parts but two, the 560 ohm tempco (which can be replaced by 2 1k in parallel) and the 2,7 ohm fusible resistor, which can be replaced by a 2,2 ohm one or it can even be shorted.
At the moment the BOM is set up, so it will be easier in near future to get all the parts. There'll also be group buys for the harder to find parts, but I didn't wanna wait
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

I need to try source those better ALPS pots for the 303 from the USA, rather than those cheaper technology transplant ones that can be had on ebay. Sure i seen a thread about that on the RE-303 forum.
Old 2nd May 2016
there'll be some pots available soon from Paul, way cheaper as the ones on ebay and hopefully also better quality. The ones from TT were the only ones which where available when I started sourcing the components, the tempo and volume pots are good but the top row pots are really low quality.. I just soldered the pins which belong to the signal path and will swap them as soon as I have the better ones and keep these as spares..
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear
Will there be an re-808
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Will there be an re-808
Paul said no to that last week. But knowing him, I wouldn't guarantee it's not going to happen.

He's also behind the re-timbrewolf project.

One of those statements is true...

I have the alpha boards for the re303 - has anyone made a full BOM yet?
Old 10th May 2016
bom is nearly finished I think, for mouser. but since there are some parts which aren't "easy to find" you should check the forums from time to time. People offer some hard to find parts, which they could source in higher quantities. Jacks from boops for example, someone recently could source the waveform switch, Paul will receive some pots in the near future..
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear

Two

Bravo - how hard a build is it, in your experience?
Old 17th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Two

Bravo - how hard a build is it, in your experience?
yeah, one with 536f NPN transistors, this one now with 945p transistors and I wanna build one more with 1685 transistors.. my tb has 1815gr.. I want all revisions

about the build, at this stage it's a bit advanced, since there is no build guide and sourcing some components isn't much fun too, if you don't exactly know where and what to look for. For people who have some DIY experience it's of course doable and a lot of fun. the project is still at the start up, but I am sure it will be at the same level as the x0xb0x in near future, with a good build manual, and a nice community to ask

I just can recommend everyone to get the PCBs and build one, a 303 hasn't been that cheap since decades.. and this one really is a tb303, I am very picky when it comes to clones, and the re303 just sounds and specially feels like a tb303 when tweaking
Old 17th May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
yeah, one with 536f NPN transistors, this one now with 945p transistors and I wanna build one more with 1685 transistors.. my tb has 1815gr.. I want all revisions

about the build, at this stage it's a bit advanced, since there is no build guide and sourcing some components isn't much fun too, if you don't exactly know where and what to look for. For people who have some DIY experience it's of course doable and a lot of fun. the project is still at the start up, but I am sure it will be at the same level as the x0xb0x in near future, with a good build manual, and a nice community to ask

I just can recommend everyone to get the PCBs and build one, a 303 hasn't been that cheap since decades.. and this one really is a tb303, I am very picky when it comes to clones, and the re303 just sounds and specially feels like a tb303 when tweaking
Great stuff. What would you estimate the average total parts cost (excluding the as-yet unavailable enclosures)?
Old 17th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Great stuff. What would you estimate the average total parts cost (excluding the as-yet unavailable enclosures)?
it's hard to tell, since I have a stock of rare parts and other parts at home from my x0x builds and other projects.
I think it was about 600 - 700 € in total, with a TT303 case, button knobs, pot knobs, original CPU and so on, but I didn't care about money, it's possible cheaper for sure when you are patient, wait for group buys and so on. a big factor were all the shipping costs, which summed up, since a lot of parts my friend and I sourced were spread all over the planet.
As soon as the last big points are sorted (CPU, Case, Pots, Rotary switches), it will be easier to tell, but it will be cheaper than my builds were I think.
Old 26th May 2016
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the audio clip. Is the clip RE-303 only? It says "TB-303 vs RE-303" but it does not say "every first half plays x and every second half y" or something. And between successive clips not even the level is matched, so the only thing that seems clear is that successive clips are not switching from one device to another as they are supposed to be "adjusted as close as I could"...
Old 27th May 2016
it's re-303 vs tb-303 which alternately play the same pattern each for 4 measures with the same settings. I didn't make a break between them at the same settings, so that any difference would be easier to detect, since sudden changes are more obvious to the human ear if the "probe" is continuous.
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Nice! This clone is close enough for sure

Which are the main difficulties during the build process?
Old 27th May 2016
the build itself is pretty straight forward if someone isn't total beginner. I used the bom from the forums and the 303 service manual with the schematic and component view to check. it's basically like the x0xb0x from the difficulty and of course also from the part count view. if the digital section is built with the original cpu an oscilloscope or at least multimeter with frequency counter is not bad to have, since the cpu clock has to be adjusted for example. for the analog section a multimeter will do if everything goes well.

the thing with such DIY projects is always the same, if the build runs without a bug in the end, it's "easy" like a puzzle, if there are some things that don't work it's better to know a little bit about electronics or know someone who does.
Old 8th September 2016
Gear Addict

Does anyone know if there will be a ready build unit of these for sale at some stage? Would love one with the Alpha case but I'm totally useless building these kits and never have the time to do it either. The little sound clips on this thread suggest this is probably the closest (sounds really the same to me?) to the real thing.
I used to own a few for many years but had to give them up at some stage due to financial issues. Since then I have been dreaming of owning at least one again but the cost of an original with the risks of costly repairs have put me off. I would certainly use it a fair bit so it's not for show LOL
Old 8th September 2016
yeah it is the same, there is no difference. I've built 2 of them and matched the second one to my TB-303, which you can hear in the last demo I uploaded in this thread. I am using mainly the re303 at the moment, although the tb303 is sitting next to it and I am really picky when it comes to the sound of 303 clones ..

I don't know if there'll be officially built RE-303s, it might be. But it shouldn't be a big deal to find someone who is willing to build one for you. As I said in another thread, this is probably the last opportunity to get a TB-303 for a reasonable price, of course, it's more expensive than the software in a box Roland gear but you get what you pay for.
there are all these other clones but what was cloning about all these years? to get as close as possible to the original and the re-303 is without doubt the Queen.
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
since the alpha phase is more or less over and there'll be the official release soon, here is a picture of the case made by altitude.. looks fantastic

What would be the total cost of the RE-303 to look like this?
Old 11th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
What would be the total cost of the RE-303 to look like this?
for me it was about 700 Euro but we have to wait now for the official release, the parts, which will be offered directly in the shop and so on. I had to source everything myself or together with a friend so the shipping costs and so on were a big part. it surely won't be at the price of a tb03 or tt303 but it will be A LOT cheaper than the original and since they are really the same, it's a great deal imo. for people of course, who care about the authenticity of the sound which I think is already prooved in this thread.
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

How many hours did it take to put it together? No tiny SMD parts, right?
Old 11th September 2016
Gear Nut

What's the story with the CPU side of the re303? I know lots of research goes into the sound generation side but what's been looked at regarding timings of the gate/slide and accent signals? Do they match the original TB303 cpu?
Old 11th September 2016
DSK
Lives for gear

FWIW I browsed the forum for a couple of hours I still don't get what I need to do to make one happen.

It says no kits and this either means the RE:303 will be a fully built replica(which I doubt)?
Or will it be just a DIY project with just the board?

I'm really committed to do one but don't know what are the steps necessary to do it.
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1024 View Post
What's the story with the CPU side of the re303? I know lots of research goes into the sound generation side but what's been looked at regarding timings of the gate/slide and accent signals? Do they match the original TB303 cpu?
This is a replica. You put in a Quicksilver CPU (or may even put in an original CPU). Nothing could be matched, it's simply the same
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Or will it be just a DIY project with just the board?

I'm really committed to do one but don't know what are the steps necessary to do it.
Until now it's a board only DIY project and I guess if you can solder the hardest thing is to score rare parts. The maker of the project says it's a real hardcore project for the die-hard only. I guess he does not mean the soldering and trimpot tuning can't also be that hard.
Old 12th September 2016
working hours without sourcing parts about 15 hours without any hurry. it's basically the same project as the x0xb0x, just the PSU and sequencer differs, it's evern possible to take the x0xb0x construction manual for the analog part.

there is a CPU under development from the guy which made the LXR drum computer (sonic potions). There is another open source code already around, like it happened with the x0xb0x. Another option would be the 303 quicksilver CPU which is a replacement CPU for the TB-303. Last option is to source the original CPU, which is pretty hard, some luck required.

as Eigenwert said, until now it was just an alpha release (there was a waiting list for the alpha boards). I don't know the exact date, but it won't take too long until the official RE-303 store goes online. I also don't know exactly which parts will be offered in the store, it will be for sure the PCBs, the CPU, potentiometers, Sumida coil, and probably other hard to find parts.

At the moment there are no built units planned as far as I know but it is also not totally out of question, also as far as I know.
Of course there might be the possibility to find someone who is trustworthy to build a RE-303 for you, pretty common in DIY projects.

the difficulty is like any other DIY project, you need to know how to solder, you should have at least some idea what a capacitor is, how it looks like, a recistor, transistor.. you should know how to use a multimeter. as said, it's like building a x0xb0x, pretty much the same parts count.
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Wow. If kits become available, a childhood dream might come true

BTW: Julian, the Sonic Potions guy, is an old friend of mine I used to hang around with when we were living in the same city.
Old 12th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Wow. If kits become available, a childhood dream might come true

BTW: Julian, the Sonic Potions guy, is an old friend of mine I used to hang around with when we were living in the same city.
If there'll be full kits, I don't think so, but maybe there will. It's not that some parts are hard to find, it's more like a big investment to offer kits or fully built units.. If the RE-303 has some success on the market, everything is possible, that's what I think..

cool that you know Julian, I don't hehe just from reading his posts in some forums and so on :>
Old 12th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
This is a replica. You put in a Quicksilver CPU (or may even put in an original CPU). Nothing could be matched, it's simply the same
I contemplated getting a Quicksilver for my TB-303 but in the end decided to keep it stock. An RE-303 with a Quicksilver CPU is an excellent idea though.
Old 12th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1024 View Post
I contemplated getting a Quicksilver for my TB-303 but in the end decided to keep it stock. An RE-303 with a Quicksilver CPU is an excellent idea though.
you could also use the qs in your tb and the original cpu in your RE.. everything that works with the original will work with the RE and vice versa. get the devilfish mod for the re, why not? hehe

this project requires some patience but in the end when you hear the RE-303 alive everyone will agree that it was totally worth it.

I'll keep this thread updated, if I have any news and so on
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search