The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TB-03
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
So I finally got to chance to pull mine out of the box after nearly 12 weeks of sitting under my bed only opened box for sneak view but not used it. I have my original ready and I am going to put them side by side for a real deep analysis into acid!
Can't wait - will report back what I think
Are you under house arrest?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Are you under house arrest?
Not sure I understand but anyway - what I am trying to say is I have owned the TB -03 or whatever it's called for nearly 12 weeks and have not had a chance to use it.

Finally tonight I will give it a play and make some real comparisons with the original. Not sure what I'm expecting but looking forward to it.
I have not messed around with acid for so long and I feel I have the bug again
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Let the fun begin
Attached Thumbnails
Roland TB-03-img_0041.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let the fun begin
Will you try with a distortion pedal too?

I tried my TB-03 with a few cheap pedals with distortion and EQ. The MXR super badass, TC electronic darkmatter, and regular DS-1. Darkatter and the MXR keep the bass well and sound great! Much better than the onboard digital overdrive. MXR is slightly more versatile because of the 3 band EQ. Nothing wrong with the DS-1, just a bit less versatile.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Will you try with a distortion pedal too?

I tried my TB-03 with a few cheap pedals with distortion and EQ. The MXR super badass, TC electronic darkmatter, and regular DS-1. Darkatter and the MXR keep the bass well and sound great! Much better than the onboard digital overdrive. MXR is slightly more versatile because of the 3 band EQ. Nothing wrong with the DS-1, just a bit less versatile.
Yes for sure - I will run both machines through the MXR or ProCo maybe even the Geiger Counter

Will let you know what I think
Old 4 weeks ago
digital ears love analog

Rat 2 is my goto TB-3 distortion and is a classic for real 303 as well. Should also be good for the TB-03.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Rat 2 is my goto TB-3 distortion and is a classic for real 303 as well. Should also be good for the TB-03.
Great, that Rat 2 looks good. Like how its got a filter.

For just distortion, I have a hard time hearing much difference between pedals other than noise. But when you add things like filters and sweepable eq, it seems to be easier to nail a sweet spot that works well with the huge range of the acid filter. Just my opinion though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So I have spent 6 hours on the original and the boutique.

I have to be careful how I say this as not to be seen as some analog snob or purist but Choond I'm not all that impressed with the boutique :(

I suppose it's a good machine if you are not expecting it sound like the original but in reality it sounds nothing only a little like the original man.

It just does not give me the same jitters as the original especially when the cutoff is in the middle position and resonance is up full with decay at about half way. Also I'm surprised at how much different the slide and accent behave...the original has a groove that the boutique just can't touch.

Having said all that it's a good machine and I'm sure those who have never used the original wouldn't cre about and it's not going to stop them from making great music!!!

But analog ain't dead man and this ABC technology that Roland claim is well a laugh to be honest. I kind of feel like they are lying to the people...it just no where like the original so not sure how they can make such claims, has me confused to be honest.

The distortion is not as bad as I thought and delay is good. The build quality is great and I think it will stand the test of time, whether the sound does is something yet to be seen but if I want 303 acid unfortunately I will still be relying on the original.

Shame really as I wanted the sound to be bad ass, maybe I'll change my mind in time.

No offence Choond and hope I'm not coming across as an asse
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Having said all that it's a good machine and I'm sure those who have never used the original wouldn't cre about and it's not going to stop them from making great music!!!

But analog ain't dead man and this ABC technology that Roland claim is well a laugh to be honest. I kind of feel like they are lying to the people...it just no where like the original so not sure how they can make such claims, has me confused to be honest.

The distortion is not as bad as I thought and delay is good.
Thanks for your short review. I took some sentences from your post to comment.

1st and 2nd sentence: I never owned the real one and yes I like the TB-03. I don't really care if it fully recreates the ORG but I like the sound as it it. Plenty of nice sounds in the TB-03. It also has some advantages over the ORG: tempo display, more patterns, more octaves, pattern copy and random patterns. So I probably agree with you but that doesn't stop me from having lots a fun and creativity with the TB-03. It is just a really nice toy for making sequences and on the fly tweaks.

3rd: I am happy that there are at least some effects on it. The distortion is not great but usable for some things. Maybe not the real acid distortion but I am not 'restricted' to acid. The (digital) delay is OKish but I really miss a delay level control. Three knobs is just not enough. The reverb is so so but nevertheless you can get a few nice sounds out of it. Overall the effects could have been much better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post

1st and 2nd sentence: I never owned the real one and yes I like the TB-03. I don't really care if it fully recreates the ORG but I like the sound as it it. Plenty of nice sounds in the TB-03. It also has some advantages over the ORG: tempo display, more patterns, more octaves, pattern copy and random patterns. So I probably agree with you but that doesn't stop me from having lots a fun and creativity with the TB-03. It is just a really nice toy for making sequences and on the fly tweaks.

3rd: I am happy that there are at least some effects on it. The distortion is not great but usable for some things. Maybe not the real acid distortion but I am not 'restricted' to acid. The (digital) delay is OKish but I really miss a delay level control. Three knobs is just not enough. The reverb is so so but nevertheless you can get a few nice sounds out of it. Overall the effects could have been much better.
Yes it is a fun machine no doubt and I enjoyed my time with it - and yes for some it does not matter if it sounds like the original!

Anyway I'm going to give it another go tomorrow and perhaps over time I might warm up to it.

Yes it does have some advantages over the original however I can live without the extra features, coming from the original I'm kind of used to the basics!

Anyway enjoy it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
But analog ain't dead man and this ABC technology that Roland claim is well a laugh to be honest
I would not go that far.I don't care if they match the originals 100% but the system 1 synths are pretty good and i'm totally in love with my JU-06.It's close enough to fulfill my need for an original Juno completely.And It's the first time that i found THAT classic Roland sound in a modern synth and i don't care anymore if it's analog or not.That said,sounds more analog to me than some modern analog synths like the Minilogue for example.If only it would have two more voices...

I'm still interested in the TB03 (and some other boutiques) but i guess i need to test in myself in a local shop.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No offence Choond and hope I'm not coming across as an asse
Great, Thank you for reviewing them both Good to know the original still jumps out as something special, as you'd hope it would.

Were you comparing the TB-303 dry to the TB-03 with onboard effects? Or were you using the RAT with the TB-303?

I'd be interested in an opinion about both run through the same analog effects, onboard FX switched off.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

1st and 2nd sentence: I never owned the real one and yes I like the TB-03. I don't really care if it fully recreates the ORG but I like the sound as it it. Plenty of nice sounds in the TB-03. It also has some advantages over the ORG: tempo display, more patterns, more octaves, pattern copy and random patterns. .
And midi- the original doesn't have any midi connections.

Yeah, I think I understand the acid purists as I pretty much overdosed on chirpy Psy in the mid 1990's. Then I felt the quality was dropping and got sounding monotonous.

After that I started to prefer the more subtle or funky way the TB-303 was used in down tempo music like massive attack, leftfield, crystal method, Daft punk and others.

For these later styles, quite a few different acid synths will do the job just fine, its about the wild filter more than the sequencer and accent behaviour.

Just my two cents!

EDIT. Kind of poetic that the original tb-303 was regarded as junk unfit for its purpose, and now this clone is getting similar criticisms Ha!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
After that I started to prefer the more subtle or funky way the TB-303 was used in down tempo music like massive attack, leftfield, crystal method, Daft punk and others.
Any songs in particular of these bands that I can check out which use the 303 in that way?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Any songs in particular of these bands that I can check out which use the 303 in that way?
The 303 is muted for most of the song but the filter starts to open up a little after the 3:00 mark:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great, Thank you for reviewing them both Good to know the original still jumps out as something special, as you'd hope it would.

Were you comparing the TB-303 dry to the TB-03 with onboard effects? Or were you using the RAT with the TB-303?

I'd be interested in an opinion about both run through the same analog effects, onboard FX switched off.
Hey buddy - I made a comparison with not only the original but also with the previous release and the bass Bot- it was an acid weekend.

Compared dry and also using distortion. I ran each unit through the culture vulture followed by mild compression. Then listend to each unit dry.

The winner for me was the Devilfish except you can't really compare this with any of them - I think the Devilfish is a league of its own.

The original had less bass then the boutique.

I find where the boutique really let me down was when resonance is open past half way. It's lovely to program and I love the build quality and LCD screen.

I say it's the winner in build quality and looks.

I take back what I said about the distortion on the boutique- it destroys the sound in an awful way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I take back what I said about the distortion on the boutique- it destroys the sound in an awful way.
Yeah, I thought it was ok at first too, and you have a few different types of drive to choose from too. Then I put it through some analog pedals, and now I don't like the onboard effects

On my MXR and TC Darkmatter pedals, they have a Bass EQ boost which helps with high resonance, but fiddling with EQ throughout the filter range is a tightrope

Then again, sometimes you want to lose the bass and just get those distorted highs, so I'm open minded about it. 303's are very versatile.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I thought it was ok at first too, and you have a few different types of drive to choose from too. Then I put it through some analog pedals, and now I don't like the onboard effects

On my MXR and TC Darkmatter pedals, they have a Bass EQ boost which helps with high resonance, but fiddling with EQ throughout the filter range is a tightrope

Then again, sometimes you want to lose the bass and just get those distorted highs, so I'm open minded about it. 303's are very versatile.
Yeah I think the better distortion out of the 3 is no 2 - except it sounds bad when comparing to other distortion units I ran through it last night.

I am not stoked about the delay either - however it sounded good running through the TC Elec Flashback x 4 - if you have not already check out this pedal.

Want to really mess the sound up run it through a Geiger Counter.

I think if I spent enough time with it the boutique would eventually come good except just dont have the time
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I am not stoked about the delay either - however it sounded good running through the TC Elec Flashback x 4 - if you have not already check out this pedal.
I think I might have some of the flashback FX included in my TC voicelive 2. I have the strymon timeline, that one is my main delay now. For reverb, bigsky and cathedral.

Quote:
Want to really mess the sound up run it through a Geiger Counter.

I think if I spent enough time with it the boutique would eventually come good except just dont have the time
Geiger counter? How would i do that, are they cheap?

Anyway you have the best of the best authenic TB-303's, no need to fiddle around with boutiques but I'm glad you did a comparison! Thanks heaps!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I might have some of the flashback FX included in my TC voicelive 2. I have the strymon timeline, that one is my main delay now. For reverb, bigsky and cathedral.

Geiger counter? How would i do that, are they cheap?

Anyway you have the best of the best authenic TB-303's, no need to fiddle around with boutiques but I'm glad you did a comparison! Thanks heaps!!
Yes Geiger counter - it's a little yellow box - I'm giving away the secret to freaking amazing distortion!
I purchased about 5 years ago and it was about $150.

It's all digital but man trust me - your boutique will love it.

Yes after all it's just my review - and in all fairness we are comparing it to an aged unit and we can't expect it to sound the same. Plus if you have no experience with the original it's not like you are going to care, it's only when they are side by side

Now go get a Geiger counter and thank me later
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
The 303 is muted for most of the song but the filter starts to open up a little after the 3:00 mark:

ok that's great. Love it! keep them other songs coming with 303 use in a non acid (but still dance) environment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
He thought the Saw wave was a bit meh really - but he's an icon for that stuff...I couldn't relate to his comment, I thought my TT-303 sounds fine.

Let The Music Play is a fantastic record, one of my all time faves - the bassline just drives the track more than anything and is simple to recreate musically and patchwise, I downloaded the midi file out of interest and not a single chord, closest thing was a 2 note riff - when I saw the midi I realised what a simple but effective track it was - I was astounded(It sounds so complex) not sure all the stabs where there though, it features presets from the JX-3P, one being Fat Fifth, can't figure the bell like tone though. RE: No! How are you, not had an email bump for ages on your stuff? It is you isn't it?
It's a good song, but just very overplayed. There are lots more electro/boogie records from that era that I would rather listen to, especially production-wise. Take D-train for example.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Does anyone know how to get the TB-03 sequencer to transmit slides and accents to an external (midi) synth? It transmits the sequences well but no slides or accents. Is this possible or not?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know how to get the TB-03 sequencer to transmit slides and accents to an external (midi) synth? It transmits the sequences well but no slides or accents. Is this possible or not?
Does your external synth accept those messages? Check midi implementation chart. CC messages between synths can sometimes be the same, but often differ.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Does your external synth accept those messages? Check midi implementation chart.
I have no idea. I have a MiniBrute and a Virus C and it didn't work on either. To be honest I have no idea how to change this or if it can be changed at all. Also I don't know if the TB-03 transmits those messages? Did anyone try it with other synths?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Slides are transmitted by overlapping note on/offs. So for a slide from A to B, note A will get a Midi Note On message, followed by a Midi Note On message for B, then a Note Off for A and a Note Off for B.

Accent is transmitted by Midi Note On velocity data. There are more than two states to the MIDI Note velocity data, however, so keep that in mind. Most synths should respond to this by default.

The TB-03 also transmits controller number 102 as "Slide status". I'm not exactly sure how that is implemented but you could experiment with mapping CC# 102 to different parameters on your 'Brute or Virus and see what happens.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have no idea. I have a MiniBrute and a Virus C and it didn't work on either. To be honest I have no idea how to change this or if it can be changed at all. Also I don't know if the TB-03 transmits those messages? Did anyone try it with other synths?
Yeah, it does transmit on 102 (slide ) and 16 (Accent).

I think the best use for that is to record the midi/CC data to your DAW, adjust the CC numbers to match the receiving synths, and run the midi sequence from there.

Not many synths respond to accent midi messages though, and the ones that do usually have their own sequencer. Slide is often called Portamento and sometimes you have to send overlapping note information to the synth to get the note to slide.
Sounds messy Huh?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Sorry I didn't see your post StepLogik , good advice!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
The TB-03 also transmits controller number 102 as "Slide status". I'm not exactly sure how that is implemented but you could experiment with mapping CC# 102 to different parameters on your 'Brute or Virus and see what happens.
ok, thanks! I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this. I know how record midi in my DAW but I have no idea how to map CC#102 to my Brute (or other synths). Sorry for my ignorance.

The synth also didn't automatically respond to the accents.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
For slides make sure your synth is in mono mode, poly will just play both the notes rather than slide between them. You will probably also be looking for portmento (auto mode if it has one) rather than slide.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search