The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dreadbox Abyss Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I wanted to buy an Abyss today only to find nobody in UK has any in stock , One retailer has one shop floor demo for sale but i don't want a groped one lol.
Andertons are showing as having one in stock.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/ABYSS/...og-synthesizer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Andertons are showing as having one in stock.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/ABYSS/...og-synthesizer
And if you read the small type that's the shop floor one I was referring to
I bet you that's the one from the video "Abyss in a box." That makes it extra desirable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
like the Memorymoog, Prophet 5, Jupiter 6, etc.

Those all have more than 1 osc, more than 4 voices, a keyboard, lots more knobs, no effects and decades older so uncomparable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
Those all have more than 1 osc, more than 4 voices, a keyboard, lots more knobs, no effects and decades older so uncomparable.
This was about polyphonic mono-output synths. Please see the original post, as you've misunderstood my point.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
This was about polyphonic mono-output synths. Please see the original post, as you've misunderstood my point.
yeah our points were misaligned
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I am really tempted to get one of their synths, could anyone help me understand the differences between them. I mean I was looking at the Erebus but is the Abyss just an Erebus but with more voices or are there other differences? Is there difference oscillators on them or would I be getting the same synth with the Nyx as the Erebus except for the reverb instead of delay? And would I get a 4 voice Erebus with the Abyss and so on?

I will order one on monday since I love the tone, I liked the tone on both the Erebus and the Nyx so still deciding a bit, I might get both of those or just the Abyss so would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sslah View Post
I am really tempted to get one of their synths, could anyone help me understand the differences between them. I mean I was looking at the Erebus but is the Abyss just an Erebus but with more voices or are there other differences? Is there difference oscillators on them or would I be getting the same synth with the Nyx as the Erebus except for the reverb instead of delay? And would I get a 4 voice Erebus with the Abyss and so on?

I will order one on monday since I love the tone, I liked the tone on both the Erebus and the Nyx so still deciding a bit, I might get both of those or just the Abyss so would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
All of those 3 synths share the same classic Dreadbox oscillators.
But there are big differences between them.

Oscs:
Erebus: 2 VCOs with separate glide (1 sawtooth or square and 1 sawtooth or triangle)
Nyx: 2 VCOs with separate glide (1 sawtooth or square and 1 sawtooth or triangle) plus a sync option.
Abyss: 1 VCO and 1 Sub oscillator for each voice (4), plus a Wave shaping Modulator and a white noise generator.

Filter:
Erebus has a unique 2pole filter
Nyx has a Dual Filter, (One Erebus filter plus a 24db filter) but not a full ADSR envelope for them, it uses "Modulators"
Abyss has a 24db 4-pole Murmux filter

Envelopes:
Erebus has a full ADSR for the filter and one AR for the amp
Nyx has 3 "Modulators" acting like limited envelopes but can be used as LFOs
Abyss has one ADSR for the filter (+ Velocity sensitivity over the EG Attack Rate or the EG Level) and one ADSR for the VCA

LFOs:
Erebus: One LFO (Triangle or Square wave)
Nyx: 3 Modulators that can act as LFOs as well (Triangle wave)
Abyss: Dual LFOs (Triangle, Square, Sawtooth or reverse Sawtooth wave)

Effects:
Erebus - Delay
Nyx - Reverb, plus a Vibrato
Abyss: Erebus Delay, Reflector, 4-stage analog Phaser, Drive, plus a Vibrato

There are more differences between them but the basics are here.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmo View Post
All of those 3 synths share the same classic Dreadbox oscillators.
But there are big differences between them.

Oscs:
Erebus: 2 VCOs with separate glide (1 sawtooth or square and 1 sawtooth or triangle)
Nyx: 2 VCOs with separate glide (1 sawtooth or square and 1 sawtooth or triangle) plus a sync option.
Abyss: 1 VCO and 1 Sub oscillator for each voice (4), plus a Wave shaping Modulator and a white noise generator.

Filter:
Erebus has a unique 2pole filter
Nyx has a Dual Filter, (One Erebus filter plus a 24db filter) but not a full ADSR envelope for them, it uses "Modulators"
Abyss has a 24db 4-pole Murmux filter

Envelopes:
Erebus has a full ADSR for the filter and one AR for the amp
Nyx has 3 "Modulators" acting like limited envelopes but can be used as LFOs
Abyss has one ADSR for the filter (+ Velocity sensitivity over the EG Attack Rate or the EG Level) and one ADSR for the VCA

LFOs:
Erebus: One LFO (Triangle or Square wave)
Nyx: 3 Modulators that can act as LFOs as well (Triangle wave)
Abyss: Dual LFOs (Triangle, Square, Sawtooth or reverse Sawtooth wave)

Effects:
Erebus - Delay
Nyx - Reverb, plus a Vibrato
Abyss: Erebus Delay, Reflector, 4-stage analog Phaser, Drive, plus a Vibrato

There are more differences between them but the basics are here.
Wow appreciate that help man, but I don't know if I got any more clear on which one to buy. This means there would be quite a different sound in them also no? I mean the filters being different and such. What would be your opinion on the Abyss compared to the Erebus since they seem the most similar. You could say the Abyss is a 2 voice Erebus then, since the Erebus have 2 oscillators and the Abyss have 1.

I do hear similarities of course, just hard to know which one would be the better one to get. My thought was to buy the Nyx and the Erebus but if I get almost the same in the Abyss but instead more voices I would prefer that since I was not much of a mono-dude to begin with. I do an exception here because I really really like the sound of these boxes, they have a crunch I love.

Which one do you own and if you do why did you choose that one?

I will listen to more demos, so far I loved the website demo of the Erebus and the Nyx, could not find a demo from them on the Abyss. I also see they have another one coming called Medusa. This is the kind of synth company that if they announced an 8 voice x2 or x3 oscillator synth I would sell so much other gear to get it.

Again thanks for that nice feedback, it made things clearer even if it didn't make me fully clear on which one to get just yet. I was more thinking if they have the same kind of territory of sound I could just get the one that had the most functions and versatility. But now you say things that make it seem they are quite different. How much do that lack of ADSR limit the Nyx you would say?
Old 1 week ago
Hi M3sslah, I own the Erebus for more than a year and its amazing. If I were you I would probably choose to get Erebus + Abyss. If I didn't have the money for both of them right now, I would buy the Erebus first and save money for the Abyss. I ll tell you why.

The Erebus is a great all around synthesizer. Its easy to learn and can cover most of your needs because the sound of the oscillators and the filter is amazing. The patch panel is great too, not just for internal routing but also for external. If you already have or buy in the future any other gear that can send/receive CV you ll have lots of fun routing them together. The Erebus is paraphonic, meaning that you can choose to either play 1 voice at the time (Both oscillators to one voice) or split the oscillators into 2 voices and play two notes at the time on for each oscillator. Of course they share the same filter and VCA hence the paraphony (not polyphony).

My second choice after Erebus would be the Abyss, and thats because you said that you like polyphony, plus because the Erebus and the Nyx although different, they overlap in simple usage. The Nyx is quite complicated if you want it to be and can produce unique sounds but it has so much character that for me its worth buying if you already have some other synths to cover the basics. The Abyss can produce amazing melodic sounds that you can build tracks around them, and the FXs are more than just effects stuffed into the box, its more like part of the synthesis. The Abyss is a true 4 voice POLYphonic synthesizer, meaning there are x4 Filters, x4 Envelopes, x4 LFOs, one for each voice.

If you need any more info I ll be happy to help.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ordered Abyss today

Only obstacle now it to get it in the house without the wife noticing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mimmo posted an excellent summery. M3sslah, I'd go for the Erebus; it's the best introduction to Dreadbox and probably the best value too.

Quote:
Ordered Abyss today
Looks like you went for the non-virgin after all. Will be interesting to get your impressions: I've never played a Dreadbox that didn't have something to recommend it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Cheers to Yannis & co. Wow, this sounds fantastic - everywhere they took it they found something surprising and wonderful. A joy to listen to and an 'instrument' in its own right with a voice of its own!

What did you think of the part where Nick and Gaz were hearing choir voices - amazing!

Definitely not 'bored with analog' )

Future classic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Looks like you went for the non-virgin after all. Will be interesting to get your impressions: I've never played a Dreadbox that didn't have something to recommend it.
I spoke to them on phone and they swore they had a stock one which had never been opened, so I unleashed the credit card.
Old 1 week ago
Matrix Modulator

No input for a pedal to sweep the waveformer section?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ordered Abyss today

Just tell her "at least I'm not trying to get a girlfriend in the house without you noticing"

It's all relative.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
No input for a pedal to sweep the waveformer section?
Correct no input for the pedal I don't have, and worse still no PWM lol.
Old 1 week ago
Matrix Modulator

Quote:
Correct no input for the pedal I don't have, and worse still no PWM lol.
A four note poly begs to be played (if you're a player, obviously) with two hands -- such a brilliant waveform morphing section with no way to inflect the different waveform colors in real time without sacrificing a hand.

Oh well, still a great sounding and unique synth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Tea View Post
Cheers to Yannis & co. Wow, this sounds fantastic - everywhere they took it they found something surprising and wonderful. A joy to listen to and an 'instrument' in its own right with a voice of its own!

What did you think of the part where Nick and Gaz were hearing choir voices - amazing!

Definitely not 'bored with analog' )

Future classic.

Nick approved Abyss
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
Nick approved Abyss
Attached Thumbnails
Dreadbox Abyss Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer-giphy.gif  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
Nick approved Abyss
This video is already legendary. Nick and Gaz should do more informal synth tests like this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nick does Funky Town minus vocoder.

It does look like a winning double act; one guy with too much hair and one guy without enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's almost as if Arturia designed their limited edition black Keystep specifically for the Abyss.

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Ordered Abyss today

dress it up as a woman, thats what I do
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
It's almost as if Arturia designed their limited edition black Keystep specifically for the Abyss.

You've got me thinking
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This synth would be an incredible companion for my Minilogue ...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
Now I thought the black Keystep was for the Novation Peak... and I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I actually bought the KS (my second) specifically for that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The GAS is great with this one. My, what a fabulous addition to the Dreadbox stable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I finally gave in and ordered one from Synthesizer.gr over the weekend.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search