The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital Part 2 - (Diva vs OB8)
View Poll Results: Which is Synth A?
OB8
108 Votes - 54.27%
Diva
91 Votes - 45.73%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st August 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Really nice job on this man.

I'm guessing A's the OB and B's Diva - even though the A's a bit brighter in the highs and Urs apparently modeled Diva to be a bit brighter than the synths he was trying to emulate. A just seems better glued together in the overall sound to me.

Can't really go wrong though with either in the context of a song. And...really dug your tune. Well done!
Old 21st August 2015
  #32
Gear Maniac
 
GeorgeMichael's Avatar
 

guessed DIVA is A. they both sound great.
Old 21st August 2015
  #33
Gear Nut
I voted A for Diva, based on second video, especially stability of oscilators in decay part of sounds.
I may be wrong
Old 21st August 2015
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Wow. That is too close to tell apart really.

Can't guess at all through my phone speakers!
Phone speakers, eh? You sure seem to have some bad luck with speakers when these types of threads show up. From "Can you guess the analog synth" found at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...og-synth.html:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Listening on crappy laptop speakers at work ...
3
Share
Old 21st August 2015
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

How many folk associated with music don't have headphones or real speakers lol. It's like here's my get out just in case.

Don't take it personally guys
Old 21st August 2015
  #36
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

[QUOTE=Synth Buddha;11278221]Phone speakers, eh? You sure seem to have some bad luck with speakers when these types of threads show up. From "Can you guess the analog synth" found at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...og-synth.html:

Haha. So true. I do go back and have a listen on monitors later on though!

But I usually browse this site on my phone...
1
Share
Old 21st August 2015
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
 

My studio monitors got scratched to bits by my cat (I hate that animal) and then abducted by aliens (just my luck), and so I'm back to listening to my old home made speakers that I put together myself in junior high from a pair of vintage Heinz beans tin cans and a long piece of string. Furthermore, my ears are all stuffy from the flu. I'm going to have to come back with my guesses in a couple of weeks or more, depending on when you choose to reveal the correct answers - I like to come in a day or two after that. Like a few others on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
But I usually browse this site on my phone...
I browse it on my watch, which has blown speakers from last Saturday's home alone party.


2
Share
Old 21st August 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
 

I listened to it on my customised Bose toilet seat. That's my excuse.
2
Share
Old 21st August 2015
  #39
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I swear if you only knew how Ive sat with a sound looping making the tiniest tweaks over and over...sleeping then going back to it...to try to get the sounds accurate...and to hear someone say they listen on a mobile phone speaker...I sort of think 'whats the point'...lol...but don't worry I have a sense of humor...
5
Share
Old 21st August 2015
  #40
Gear Addict
 
Nigel99's Avatar
 

It sounded great on my earbuds - now all you need is a doofing 909 kik and a fooly sick drop!

Voted A for the software though - I always find I lose some highs recording hardware synths.

Great work though. If I had to say for certain, there's no way I could tell for sure.

EDIT:

That's weird - initially when I listened through my phone speakers, I was sure I could hear high freq rolloff. But listening again on Beyerdynamic DT880 pros the A + B patches sound identical. Both fantastic.

I'm still for A as Diva.

Last edited by Nigel99; 22nd August 2015 at 12:08 AM..
Old 22nd August 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 

50/50 once again.
year passed but your point is still valid.
Old 22nd August 2015
  #42
Gear Addict
 

A is diva
Great test could be 50/50 with static
However as always once you start tweaking analog is easier to feel and you start seeing colours
Whatever works though for you
Old 22nd August 2015
  #43
Gear Addict
I always make sure to say I'm listening on crappy speakers. That way, if I get it right, I take all the credit for having golden ears. And if I get it wrong, well it's those crappy speakers.

But that brings up a point. If so many people are listening to music on crappy speakers, what difference does it make what synthesizer you make the music with?
2
Share
Old 22nd August 2015
  #44
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorguy View Post
I always make sure to say I'm listening on crappy speakers. That way, if I get it right, I take all the credit for having golden ears. And if I get it wrong, well it's those crappy speakers.
Haha, exactly.

Thanks for the great test SWAN!
Old 22nd August 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Gnalvl's Avatar
 

Out of curiosity, what would people consider the bare minimum headphone or speaker needed to judge this test?

I deliberately didn't bother listening at work, cause I only had some ****ty sansa clip earbuds. I got home and just listened on Senn HD-280's, which is actually the best I've got (been spending too much on synths instead of other gear).

Anyway I have never used an OB8 first hand, but in the very beginning of the song test, test 1, and test 9 in particular, A sounds fuller, fatter, and rounder than B. In Test 2, the particular behavior of the attack in B reminds me of my own experiences editing Diva's envelopes. Sometimes when trying to get a smooth, quick fade , it seems like you're forced to either do a staggered/delayed swell, or have zero attack value at all, with no option in between. The clickiness in 2B could be an attempted over-representation of quirks and flaws of hardware...or maybe I've been fooled and OB8's envelopes really are that sluggish and clicky.

Tests 3, 4, and pretty much everything after the first loop or two of the song demo sound identical to my ears and I can't tell a difference of any kind.

In Test 7 I change my mind on each playthrough as to which flavor of buzzing reminds me more of Diva. My gut reaction was B, but that could have just been my assumption.

In Test 8, the envelopes in B once again swell "sluggishly" in places where A ramps in a smoother, more subtle manner.

Based on all typical descriptions of how fat and agile the great analog polys are supposed to be compared to digital, I would guess that A is indeed the OB8. However, it may be that SWAN808 has played a trick on us and deliberately programmed the OB8 to sound a bit thinner or more sluggish to throw us off, or maybe in trying to program Diva to sound as full and fat as the OB8, he overcompensated a bit. I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking it.
Old 22nd August 2015
  #46
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
Out of curiosity, what would people consider the bare minimum headphone or speaker needed to judge this test?
I don't understand why people just don't listen on their studio monitors. Running BM5a's here.
1
Share
Old 22nd August 2015
  #47
Lives for gear
 

I think B is the OB8 because it sounds slightly looser and baggier than A. But whichever is Diva, I'm extremely impressed, the differences are microscopic. Diva is going on to my shopping list either way.
Old 22nd August 2015
  #48
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
it may be that SWAN808 has played a trick on us and deliberately programmed the OB8 to sound a bit thinner or more sluggish
doing a trick would make the whole process pointless...I try to be as neutral as possible. Only there is a bit of bias perhaps because I decided to sell a preset pack based on the sounds transferred to Diva...so perhaps you could say I used the closest sounds for my demos...on the other hand that makes sense because Diva and the OB8 are slightly different synths so you kind of need to to make a comparable test...
2
Share
Old 22nd August 2015
  #49
Lives for gear
 
VennD68's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
This is hard - shows how far plug ins have come.
I'm going for A as the OB8 also just for the way the resonance glues to the cut-off in the filter sweep.
Nice sounds and great demo by the way.
I never do well on these and if i picked the digital don't be surprised as I have had a soft spot for good digital synths for years.


Quoting myself - just for the record I am listening on a pair of Adam A7X's and the majority of sounds are damn close indeed. What difference is there is so minute in many respects.
1
Share
Old 22nd August 2015
  #50
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

more weight on A. couldn't say which is which .....
Old 22nd August 2015
  #51
Lives for gear
 

I think it's a transform multiplication of A x B.
Old 22nd August 2015
  #52
Gear Maniac
 

A sounds better.
Old 22nd August 2015
  #53
Lives for gear
 
pointsource's Avatar
 

Old 22nd August 2015
  #54
Lives for gear
 

I've never been a fan of Diva, but I'd love an OB-8 ... I'm going on the vibe and for me A is the real McCoy.
Old 22nd August 2015
  #55
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
doing a trick would make the whole process pointless...I try to be as neutral as possible. Only there is a bit of bias perhaps because I decided to sell a preset pack based on the sounds transferred to Diva...so perhaps you could say I used the closest sounds for my demos...on the other hand that makes sense because Diva and the OB8 are slightly different synths so you kind of need to to make a comparable test...
Could you clarify and be open about how you choose what sounds to compare? In other words, did you deliberately choose sounds that would closely match? The reason I ask, is because I feel my Kingkorg sounds better than Diva. There's a Softbrass patch that uses the OB filter, and I wasn't able to recreate that sound in Diva, at least to the point where I was happy with it.
Old 22nd August 2015
  #56
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by roymaya View Post
Could you clarify and be open about how you choose what sounds to compare? In other words, did you deliberately choose sounds that would closely match? The reason I ask, is because I feel my Kingkorg sounds better than Diva. There's a Softbrass patch that uses the OB filter, and I wasn't able to recreate that sound in Diva, at least to the point where I was happy with it.
to be honest there wasn't anything insidious about it - I just made loads of sounds and tried to use ten that best demonstrated typical polysynth sounds...the bias I mentioned was slight - and subjective. I just mention it for the sake of objectivity. All the sounds I made were fairly close...
1
Share
Old 22nd August 2015
  #57
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
to be honest there wasn't anything insidious about it - I just made loads of sounds and tried to use ten that best demonstrated typical polysynth sounds...the bias I mentioned was slight - and subjective. I just mention it for the sake of objectivity. All the sounds I made were fairly close...
Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 22nd August 2015
  #58
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
 

The polyphonic portamento sounds great too.
How do you do that with Diva?
1
Share
Old 22nd August 2015
  #59
Lives for gear
 
shreddoggie's Avatar
To me the answers on this thread reveal how tedious and tiresome the tedious and tiresome debate is. At the point that people are arguing about "If it sounds the same as" or not, the entire deal is moot. Its close enough to get everyones knickers in a twist. Game over. The software has proven itself to be a worthy music making tool - sure you might prefer the HW for the hands on or the SW for all the recall and automation etc etc but in the end they are all just tools and we are incredibly fortunate to be able to pontificate over the nuances therein... some HW synths do something no SW can emulate (yet) and some SW does things that cannot be done analog. GREAT. I love it - gimme more - no exclusion necessary.

I didn't even listen to the clips - the fact that so many people said A or B or A is B is B is A .... made it unnecessary.

Personally, I like what I like because I like it. No need to demonstrate that it is as good as XYZ, more rare, contemporary, innovative, warm, more expensive / cheaper - woof woof woof, making some music with some cool toys.

Many thanks to the OP for such a lovely thread which (to me) proves conclusively that it REALLY DOESN'T MATTER - at all.
8
Share
Old 22nd August 2015
  #60
Lives for gear
To be honest I didn't like either of them. I like big fat rich textures that only samplers and digital effects can create.
3
Share
Loading mentioned products ...
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump