The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue vs Digital Part 2 - (Diva vs OB8)
View Poll Results: Which is Synth A?
OB8
108 Votes - 54.27%
Diva
91 Votes - 45.73%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th December 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednerd View Post
Thanks for putting the task of matching the OB-8 with software in perspective
I guess this is the quote you are referring to:

"I think the early designs --the SEM, the OB-X, the OB-Xa -- have somewhat better sound than the OB-8 and the instruments that followed it. I think that is because the sound of the earlier designs is dirtier in subtle ways and therefore seems to have more guts. The OB-8 is a more perfect design. The autotune routine tunes the oscillators more perfectly. But the sound is clean...too clean"

Tom Oberheim
(Mark Vail, "Vintage Synthesizers", p172)
yes that comment by Tom is quite well known...its interesting how engineers view their synths because they sort of have training to make things the most accurate as possible but sometimes that can reduce the audio character.....The Xa is actually very similar to the OB8 as far as I understand - its just the audio level is run a bit lower so it picks up less saturation and size...but it gives the OB8 its own character...if you want a softer sweeter sound the Xa finds it difficult...

Its worth mentioning tho that the comparisons we heard from CoolCCJ Jupiter 8 were pretty close also...

Im thinking about doing a Minimoog test which may focus on Monark or perhaps both Diva and Monark to see where they stand...
Old 26th December 2015
Lives for gear

Cool test well done, i dont read GS that much lately and i ve missed this thread but i just read the first 1-2 pages only so i ll give it a go. I dont have either synths, listened 1st vid in my laptop with earbuds, sounds are very close indeed but like yoozer says i hear that richer attack in synth A and i thought too that maybe pitch is not instant, later in the higher notes the difference is bigger i think B folds up and its gets thinner like a vst, at portamento it gets obvious i think (or just very different) B sounds very dull and too sharp, would never put that in a track so my guess is A = OB8.

I haven't read the results which page is it or u can tell again.

I think u ve matched very well the lower register but in the high notes maybe with rematching it can sound closer ofc its not practical and i wouldn't expect someone to do it just as an observation, the sparkly highs though i hear in A i dont think we can get that from a vst, except if im wrong which will probably make me buy diva. About the attack a judicious amount of portamento in a vst makes it sounds more analog ime.

If it doesn't take a lot of time to do this, do u think u could match aalto with your oberheim? It has some nice ob patches in there but idk how close it can get to the real thing.

Again well done and quite interesting, keep it up!
Old 26th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audslu View Post
Cool test well done, i dont read GS that much lately and i ve missed this thread but i just read the first 1-2 pages only so i ll give it a go. I dont have either synths, listened 1st vid in my laptop with earbuds, sounds are very close indeed but like yoozer says i hear that richer attack in synth A and i thought too that maybe pitch is not instant, later in the higher notes the difference is bigger i think B folds up and its gets thinner like a vst, at portamento it gets obvious i think (or just very different) B sounds very dull and too sharp, would never put that in a track so my guess is A = OB8.

I haven't read the results which page is it or u can tell again.

I think u ve matched very well the lower register but in the high notes maybe with rematching it can sound closer ofc its not practical and i wouldn't expect someone to do it just as an observation, the sparkly highs though i hear in A i dont think we can get that from a vst, except if im wrong which will probably make me buy diva. About the attack a judicious amount of portamento in a vst makes it sounds more analog ime.

If it doesn't take a lot of time to do this, do u think u could match aalto with your oberheim? It has some nice ob patches in there but idk how close it can get to the real thing.

Again well done and quite interesting, keep it up!
Welcome to the totally wrong club! We're always accepting new members!
Old 27th December 2015
Ged
Lives for gear

Thanks Swan for these patches think I'll buy them mate you've done a fine job !
Old 28th December 2015
Lives for gear

OP i see what u did there, 7/10!
Old 28th December 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
OP i see what u did there, 7/10!
I guess you have to buy Diva now (and my presets )...but good on you for being honest...at this stage it can be difficult to know unless someone gets it wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged View Post
Thanks Swan for these patches think I'll buy them mate you've done a fine job !
cheers mate good to see you around here - is it just me or have you been away for a while?
Old 28th December 2015
Lives for gear

You wouldn't mind i guess:

Quote:
In the blind tests above – Diva with ‘Classic OB’ presets was Synth A. On both Gearslutz producer forum and KVR plugin forum – more users picked Synth A to be the original OB8 or said they prefered it.
Get the soundpack ratified by two communities of music producers as sounding genuinely authentic or even better than the real thing!
‘Classic OB’ is priced at just £19.99 – checkout powered by Paypal.
Good luck with ur sales bruh!

All the best.
Old 28th December 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
You wouldn't mind i guess:

Good luck with ur sales bruh!

All the best.
My comment was intended to be friendly - Im not sure why you thought it is interesting to post the sales copy (which is totally correct as demonstrated in both threads)...
Old 28th December 2015
Lives for gear

Frankly u ve made some excellent sounds for diva, for those i heard and no doubt the rest are top notch too. I would recommend them to anyone looking for the oberheim sound, personally not an expert or anything but they sound very nice to say the least.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search