The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The ASR-10 Holy shiz...
Old 5th November 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Yes. You can monitor (and sample, if you wish) the incoming signal, with or without effects, while the sequencer is running. Doesn't matter if the sequencer is triggering internal samples, external midi sound modules, or both.
Thanks!
Old 9th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Bump. Anyone knows if this is possible?
To my knowledge, nope.
Old 10th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
To my knowledge, nope.
must be talking about the audio tracks?
Seq must be stopped to sample input, unless resampling output, in which yes, you can resample playing sequence
Old 10th November 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
must be talking about the audio tracks?
Seq must be stopped to sample input, unless resampling output, in which yes, you can resample playing sequence
But before you start recording the sample, what I understand is you can monitor the input together with the playing sequence.
Old 12th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
But before you start recording the sample, what I understand is you can monitor the input together with the playing sequence.
Monitor, yes.
Old 12th November 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
Monitor, yes.
Great, that's enough for me. I want to hear what I'll sample, hopefully in sync with the sequence. I can then stop the sequence to sample, that's okay.
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Listen to what's played in the clubs and on commercial radio. Also nobody wants to pay to clear samples in this market.
u do realize that many companies produce royalty free samples? and that many producers who sample often get musicians to replay a sample?

Quote:
The prices of 2nd hand MPCs has also dropped significantly. With the only exception being the 60 and 3000 because they are ultra rare. But the 2000xl, 2500 and 1000 can be had for cheap nowadays. The same with Roland samplers.
u do realise that mpc live and mpc x came out this year hence the price drop

Quote:
You're starting to get a lot more eclectic and experimental stuff that mixes up genres coming out.
has been around for years but the real ish always remains
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
u do realize that many companies produce royalty free samples? and that many producers who sample often get musicians to replay a sample?

u do realise that mpc live and mpc x came out this year hence the price drop

has been around for years but the real ish always remains
Came out this year? You do realise you are replying to an old thread.
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Just curious, anyone own this and an SP1200 or at least did own both and can make a comparison? albeit they are different beasts! I have the chance to buy one of these and have always wanted one

It's interesting to see this thread when only last week I got a call about buying one - I think it's faith
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Just curious, anyone own this and an SP1200 or at least did own both and can make a comparison? albeit they are different beasts! I have the chance to buy one of these and have always wanted one

It's interesting to see this thread when only last week I got a call about buying one - I think it's faith
I have owned both. They’re apples and oranges, to an extent but they compliment each other well.

You’d have to decide what your preferences are. ASRs give a slick, albeit slightly warm, finish to a sample.

SPs do the 12-bit thing better than most samplers.

How many serious mixing engineers only have one type of compressor? No, they have different tools for different applications. There is no single sampler that is ideal for every application.
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
I have owned both. They’re apples and oranges, to an extent but they compliment each other well.

You’d have to decide what your preferences are. ASRs give a slick, albeit slightly warm, finish to a sample.

SPs do the 12-bit thing better than most samplers.

How many serious mixing engineers only have one type of compressor? No, they have different tools for different applications. There is no single sampler that is ideal for every application.
Yes of course different tools. I have a few samplers already however I never pulled the trigger on the ASR.

It would be an interesting bit of gear I bet.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes of course different tools. I have a few samplers already however I never pulled the trigger on the ASR.

It would be an interesting bit of gear I bet.
ASR’s sample-mangling tools are significant, as well.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
ASR’s sample-mangling tools are significant, as well.
Oh stop - I'm so close to buying one already.
Except I am not sure about a keyboard sampler. I'm sure it would be cool, all my samplers are not keyboards. This would be the first keyboard sampler.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh stop - I'm so close to buying one already.
Except I am not sure about a keyboard sampler. I'm sure it would be cool, all my samplers are not keyboards. This would be the first keyboard sampler.
He he..sure the keyboard version is the one to get otherwise you'll only experience half of it: patch buttons, super keyboard, sequencer and above all overall ergonomy since you have to spend some time on this machine and it's really not pleasant on a rack.
Be sure to test it and have a nice unit I garantee you'll never regret it. A singer might pay 1000€ for a preamp or mic. For a sampler aficionado the ASR is well worth it's price. In comparison I don't think current prices for the SP-1200 are justified exept resale value.
Old 14th November 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Yes the ASR-10 keybed (Fatar TP/8S with poly aftertouch) is superb. Almost worth it for that alone. The first time you assign polyAT to modulate a transwave will be a revelation.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes the ASR-10 keybed (Fatar TP/8S with poly aftertouch) is superb. Almost worth it for that alone. The first time you assign polyAT to modulate a transwave will be a revelation.
I prefer the keybed of the ASR-88. If people are too weak to pick up a “big” 88 and they’d rather pay more for an ASR-10, I’m thrilled.

Last edited by breakinrecords; 15th November 2017 at 04:47 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Is that the same keybed as the SQ-80?
Old 4 days ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFire View Post
Is that the same keybed as the SQ-80?
Yes. That keybed is used in the following Ensoniqs:
SQ80
VFX
VFX-SD
SD1
EPS
EPS-16
ASR-10
TS10
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Two of my ASR-10 keys are singed (by a previous owner) and the end caps and a key were broken by Delta airlines. I want to give mine some TLC but Syntaur doesn’t have the end caps in stock.

I look at my ASR-10 and it always makes me feel sad. It’s in rough shape but it works fine.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Two of my ASR-10 keys are singed (by a previous owner) and the end caps and a key were broken by Delta airlines. I want to give mine some TLC but Syntaur doesn’t have the end caps in stock.

I look at my ASR-10 and it always makes me feel sad. It’s in rough shape but it works fine.
I look my ASR-10 every day, its literally the centerpiece of my setup.

Thinking that screen is slowly dying makes me sad tho
Old 2 days ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't know where you are in the world, but I just did an ebay search and turned up a few endcaps for the ASR-10. Also it should be noted that the TS-10 endcaps (and keys) would fit as well. Good luck!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

What parts are you looking for? Are you in the US? I have two parts ASR10s.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads up, guys. Yeah, I'm in the US but I'm not currently home. I'll be back in my studio in August and I'll be interested in buying some endcaps then.

My poor ASR-10 needs some TLC.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads up, guys. Yeah, I'm in the US but I'm not currently home. I'll be back in my studio in August and I'll be interested in buying some keys/endcaps then.

My poor ASR-10 needs some TLC.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear