The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg MS-20 Mini or MS-20M
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

Korg MS-20 Mini or MS-20M

Hey all,

Looking to get the Korg MS-20. I'm just not sure if I should get the MS-20 Mini, MS-20 Kit or the MS-20M desktop version. Normally, I would just say the MS-20 mini as it is much cheaper. But, I am wondering if any of you have any input on this.

Do you feel there is a large difference between the MS-20 mini or the MS-20 kit / MS-20M desktop synth?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by intuitionnyc; 17th March 2015 at 08:28 PM..
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

The MS20M is the best MS20 full stop. Sync, FM, both filter revision built in. Im thinking of selling my original MS20 for one. The Mini is cheap but its not as sonically versatile as the MS20M.
Old 17th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
The MS20M is the best MS20 full stop. Sync, FM, both filter revision built in. Im thinking of selling my original MS20 for one. The Mini is cheap but its not as sonically versatile as the MS20M.
Cool. Thank you.
Old 17th March 2015
I'm probably looking at this myself in the not too distant future. Looks like now you can get a mini for $450 new and the module for $1,020 new. I owned two original MS20's several years before and a mini briefly. I was quite pleased by the mini given some of the moaning some had about it. The sonicstate review of the module is worth watching for the additional features.

The module appeals to me mostly because of the form factor more than anything, although I wish they would've just made it mini. I'm an American, but primarily live in Mexico so most of my gear I buy in the States and bring it back on visits. A mini module would've been the best for me as the module is pretty large (23.2 inches I believe) which makes transporting not as convenient as it could be.

The main differences besides the lack of keys are probably better build quality, 1/4 vs 1/8 jacks, oct/v cv inputs, osc sync, pwm and both filters.

Long story short, I don't feel the module is worth more than twice as much money (for me), but I may go that route myself anyway.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah, I am scratching my head here. I could do without more keyboards in the studio.

I never really gave the MS-20 Mini much thought until I was at Control in Brooklyn the other day. They had one out on display and I really connected with the synth. MUCH more than I thought I would. I really like the sonic palette it offered.

In the end, I was just wondering if there as any sonic difference (not features) between the Module and the Mini. It is tough to imagine spending twice as much on the module version. I dunno.
Old 17th March 2015
Gear Nut
How awesome the ms-20m may be its to expensive for what it adds I´d say.
If you have euro you can have the mini + jedonian + another filter + oscillator + eg + some distortion for less making it more versitile again.
Indv outs and sync are easy mods and with a cv mixer you can fm cv osc2 seperately from osc1.
Old 17th March 2015
Can the MS-20m be rack mounted?
Old 17th March 2015
Gear Guru

It's very cool and I doubt you'll ever regret it but it's also a lot more cash for a couple of sound features that any good synth repair firm will give you for maybe 150-200. Ok it won't be factory fitted which counts for a lot I suppose.
What's more important to you as a user? This is what you need to ask.

I love the idea of the kit as I'm sure you do, although I'm very glad I bought my mini before the kit came out as I would have bought the kit in an instant.

To be frank, If I were about to purchase the ms20 now with all the options on the table.....I would buy a pair of mini and a microbrute, or a mini, a brute and a bass station, or a mini and the arp odyssey over the kit now I've had a little time to think about it.

A mini and an odyssey, that's a lot of synth for the same cash.....

There's plenty of Options available to you if you have a thousand to spend.
Old 17th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
Can the MS-20m be rack mounted?
You'd need a made to measure rack, it's pretty big, you'd also have to hack the sides unless you just shelved it inside a rack. Again it would have to be made.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

Can you buy it without the sequencer bundle?
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

To me, it's really a no-brainer: the desktop is by far the best MS-20 ever made. The additions well worth the price difference IMO.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

You can't just mod a mini to make it equivalent to the ms-20m as someone mentioned...you'd still be totally missing the Rev2 filter which for me has become a huge asset to the ms-20m. Gets rid of the rev1 noise, makes smoother sounds more easily, and has a much beefier hpf resonance sound. It's a big bonus.

That said...if you don't have extra cash / you're not going to use the ms-20 that much, just get the mini.

Ms-20m definitely has a much much wider sound palette though.
Old 17th March 2015
If you can wait until Aril for music messe....korg may bring out a mini version of the desktop model...also watch the so ic state review of the desktop kit whilst it does add things it also take some features away too.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

"You can't just mod a mini to make it equivalent to the ms-20m as someone mentioned."

I believe they're referring to the patch points.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Do the little dots on the front left actually do anything, or are they for looks?
Old 18th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
Do the little dots on the front left actually do anything, or are they for looks?
I believe they are pre-drilled for those who want to do their own mods. The Sonic State review shows a lot of labelled solder pads on the board to make this easy.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
Korg engineer released a statement about these, he said (not word for word)we don't encourage modding but if you will do it then these holes are there for your use...lol. Make of that what you will, they know people will, they are making it more aesthetically pleasing as an end result for those brave enough.

Last edited by Jamie munro; 18th March 2015 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Spell
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Can you buy it without the sequencer bundle?
Yes, but if you do it's the ms20 without the added extras that the tabletop version has, Pwm and sync, You do get both filters however and it's FULL SIZE

I've just done a very quick search and already the kits are in the low 800's in pounds, gone down 20% in no time! I don't expect another drop anytime soon mind, that makes it a lot more of a bargain than a clean grand which it was not so long ago.

Last edited by Jamie munro; 18th March 2015 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Addict

I own the MS-20 Kit, I like it a lot, but I'm really lusting for the MS-20M. IMO, the module format is brilliant for the MS-20. It's only a monosynth, so the lack of a keyboard isn't a big deal, just use a MIDI sequencer/master keyboard. Plus it comes with a few bonuses.

I bought the kit because I really thought Korg was only going to do a limited run, and I didn't want to bother with the smaller keys and jacks on the Mini. Now they've not only reissued the kit, but brought out the module...damn it. Anyway, go for the module.
Old 18th March 2015
SRT
Lives for gear
Wow the MS20m is awesome. Finally V/Octave CV and additional synthesis options. To bad its not as price friendly as the Mini. A lower price sans sequencer would be a nice option.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Ms20m is a better synth for sure, but not sure the additional features are worth twice the price. You could spend the extra $600 on some really cool stuff for a much broader palette than adding fm/sync/another filter revision. I'd much rather the mini+$600 worth of euro modules.. You could get a muuuuuch nicer filter than the MS20 Rev2 filter + a really nice oscillator with sync input for $600..
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

If the module was $600-700 I would say go for it.. That's still twice the price of 2nd hand mint ms20 mini. $1000 is ludicrous with the mini available. Though would be amazing if the vintage ms20 was your only other option... Aren't we spoiled?? ^_^
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Addict

protip for mini users - dbx 563x
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Man I'm definitely getting an MS-20M and an Odyssey at some point...although I wish they'd release a desktop version of the ARP as well...
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Nut

MS20M is absolutely the best choice i have a Mini and never used it, i dont know maybe because it just felt cheap. Bought the MS20m and im totally in love with it.
They got it right with the form factor and the extra features are awesome (sync, FM, PWM) and the quality is way better than the Mini and the pots are solid feeling (chassis bolted).

Also the Mini runs on 9V and the M runs on 12V

This is my Dark Vader of synths !!!
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

My 500 quid MS20 mini is worth about 300 quid second hand now, a new MS20m is 858. As much as I'd love to upgrade, it's just not worth another 558 pounds. If I include the depreciation hit on buying the "wrong" one first I'd be spending 500 + 858 - 300 = 1058 quid for it. Think I'll hold back on an Odyssey Korg, you crafty bastards.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear
Pretty much agree that the MS-20m is the perfect version...and yet I don't really feel that the price difference is worth it, for me anyway. Use the Mini with external modular (or **** it, anything else really) and you'll get a great variety of sound possibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyklops View Post
Also the Mini runs on 9V and the M runs on 12V
What's the advantage of 12V?
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

Must admit that the MS20M finally put this synth on my radar. I can finally properly Goldfrapp without spending outrageous sums for the original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Must admit that the MS20M finally put this synth on my radar. I can finally properly Goldfrapp without spending outrageous sums for the original.
The prices of the original have dropped so much that the last few that sold on eBay are around the same price or cheaper than the desktop (in the US). I'd much rather the desktop though.
📝 Reply