The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg MS-20 Mini or MS-20M
Old 18th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
The prices of the original have dropped so much that the last few that sold on eBay are around the same price or cheaper than the desktop (in the US). I'd much rather the desktop though.
Agreed. Modern tech and connections, higher reliability, no repair bills, a warranty = no brainer in my book.
Old 18th March 2015
PES
Lives for gear

The Module seems to be the ultimate version in most respects, but I got the Mini new for 1/3 of the price. I've got other synths with osc sync and friendly filters (if I didn't, 2/3 of the Module price would get me an additional Microzwerg or something else, wow).

Compared to the Module I prefer the Mini's upright interface and integrated keyboard (it's a whole other experience than most synths, having the interface right in front of you like that - do not underestimate).

Compared to the regular-size keyboarded kit I prefer the Mini's compactness (Boo! Hiss!)

Last edited by PES; 18th March 2015 at 09:56 PM..
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

I like the tabletop version, seems it would look a lot better in my personal setup, easier to use, and would be more inclined to, almost wish they made a "mini" version of that, so it's footprint was smaller... (and I wouldn't mind 86% sized knobs etc that much )
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
What's the advantage of 12V?
It's mythical that analog sounds better with 12 volt.. Pah.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
My 500 quid MS20 mini is worth about 300 quid second hand now, a new MS20m is 858. As much as I'd love to upgrade, it's just not worth another 558 pounds. If I include the depreciation hit on buying the "wrong" one first I'd be spending 500 + 858 - 300 = 1058 quid for it. Think I'll hold back on an Odyssey Korg, you crafty bastards.
Paid 350 quid for a brand new mini from the shop at the start of this year, I couldn't be happier with the value. It's never going anywhere until it dies, which it expect it won't as the build is fine, the sound is more than great, and that extra cash I have saved has been part spent on a microbrute se and the rest is slowly building towards May when the synths I want are back in stock.

That's when the hard choices are made, I like the odyssey a lot but I've reserved a dominion and 37, one of them 3 is going home as my last purchase for some time.
Old 19th March 2015
Lives for gear

I consider the Kit version to be the "definitive" MS-20. It's the same exact size as the original, has both the noiser and cleaner filters from both versions, plus the build quality is better than the Mini. If I had known Korg were going to release it, I would have saved the extra money and gotten it instead of the Mini. I'm still considering selling my Mini and getting the Kit version used, though I'm really in no hurry.

While it's nice to see extra features added to the module version, to me that steers it away from its original, classic sound which is precisely what I wanted when I got the Mini. Not saying that's a bad thing... I see it as the next evolution of the MS-20 sound. That's a positive to many people, but not something I'm really interested in paying extra for. Like a few other people have said, those extra features don't justify the price of the module version in my own head, especially since its total size is only about two inches smaller than the Mini.
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

How 'limited' is the MS-20m?
is this a purchase I can put off till this summer?
Old 26th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
How 'limited' is the MS-20m?
is this a purchase I can put off till this summer?
They'll still be around perhaps cheaper

Look at what just happened to the market
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

what happened to the market?

I actually called around and no one here in Canada has them in stock yet anyways..
Old 26th March 2015
Gear Guru

There seems a lot more products arriving with a similar price, it's more open than it was a couple of months ago when this thing was let out of the bag, my guess is the price drop is to ensure interest in it.

I love the kit btw, like I said above I'm glad I bought my mini before seeing the kit, saved myself £650

I suppose what I'm saying that maybe there's going to be less demand for it , good for those of us that didn't get the 1st run? Maybe
Old 30th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I saw the review from Sonicstate re: MS20 M kit..

What a beautiful synthesizer to look at.. Sounds lovely doesn't it.

man this MS20 M, I'd love to sequence it and tweak it's knobs..

I've borrowed and played with the MS20 mini and I like it.. I like it a lot..

It's about a grand here in the states and comes with the SQ1 sequencer..

Yes, I am fantasizing about this MS20 M kit synth..
Old 6th April 2015
Lives for gear
It can't be stressed enough that the rev. 2 filter really does sound nicer. It can be as aggressive as the rev. 1 "Korg35" filter, but it can also be creamy and full-sounding. The MS-20 Mini only has the noisy rev. 1 filter, while the keyboard kit and the module kit allow you to select between filters in the fly.
Old 6th April 2015
I just picked up a used ms20 mini and I love it. With midi sync, its just more fun. I'll make plans to get the ms20m at some point. Short of diving into eurorack, these korgs are great.
Old 6th April 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
It can't be stressed enough that the rev. 2 filter really does sound nicer. It can be as aggressive as the rev. 1 "Korg35" filter, but it can also be creamy and full-sounding. The MS-20 Mini only has the noisy rev. 1 filter, while the keyboard kit and the module kit allow you to select between filters in the fly.
I think a lot of people would disagree with you here and prefer the rev. 1 filter. It's nice to have options though!
Old 6th April 2015
Here for the gear

Anyone patched the Mini to the M to create more modular options yet?
Old 7th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
My 500 quid MS20 mini is worth about 300 quid second hand now, a new MS20m is 858. As much as I'd love to upgrade, it's just not worth another 558 pounds. If I include the depreciation hit on buying the "wrong" one first I'd be spending 500 + 858 - 300 = 1058 quid for it. Think I'll hold back on an Odyssey Korg, you crafty bastards.
Ugh i think it's more like £250, that hit was annoying.
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Addict

After doing a run around the major online stores, looks like new stock of the module has dried up at a lot of sites.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Bought a MS20M yesterday and love it. I've had 2 mini's in the past and sold both of them as I couldn't get on with the noise. This has more or less been sorted out on the module, with only a little amount on the Rev 1 filter and the Rev 2 has no noise whatsoever...with the additional functionality, it feels like a real instrument now and not a 'reduced' version of it. Looks awesome as well.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Bought a MS20M yesterday and love it. I've had 2 mini's in the past and sold both of them as I couldn't get on with the noise. This has more or less been sorted out on the module, with only a little amount on the Rev 1 filter and the Rev 2 has no noise whatsoever...with the additional functionality, it feels like a real instrument now and not a 'reduced' version of it. Looks awesome as well.

Thinking the same thing, love the sound of the mini but can't get over the noise, ruins almost everything I want from it. The ms20m seems perfect.

Sounds like the noise is at a totally acceptable level now?
I have a mono/poly that has a bit of noise, the kind of noise you'd expect, and actually adds a bit of character much like tape hiss etc, is that the kind of thing it's got now?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Thinking the same thing, love the sound of the mini but can't get over the noise, ruins almost everything I want from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matias_thinKing View Post
protip for mini users - dbx 563x
I'm not kidding
Lives for gear

Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Thinking the same thing, love the sound of the mini but can't get over the noise, ruins almost everything I want from it. The ms20m seems perfect.

Sounds like the noise is at a totally acceptable level now?
I have a mono/poly that has a bit of noise, the kind of noise you'd expect, and actually adds a bit of character much like tape hiss etc, is that the kind of thing it's got now?
Yes, the noise is about 20% of what the mini was, so for dark, filtered bass lines, it's not really an issue...with the Rev 2 filter, there isn't any noise, it's totally clean...i prefer the rev 2 for bass anyway...but it's good having the choice.

The PWM and Sync are excellent, some nice Eventide H9 on it and i'm in heaven
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Hoping for a MS20m Mini...
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
Hoping for a MS20m Mini...
For the price or the size?

I think it's perfect as is.
Old 9th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
For the price or the size?

I think it's perfect as is.
Price, size and mini-jacks for using with eurorack...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
Price, size and mini-jacks for using with eurorack...
Price....okay that can come down a touch.

Size....Love it the way it is

Mini-jacks.....it comes with a bunch of 1/4" to Mini-jack cables

I love it as is. I was able to find a really good price on it and haven't looked back.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
Price....okay that can come down a touch.

Size....Love it the way it is

Mini-jacks.....it comes with a bunch of 1/4" to Mini-jack cables

I love it as is. I was able to find a really good price on it and haven't looked back.
in addition the m has three mults on the front with 3, 1/4" and 1, 1/8" connectors that can be used to adapt.
📝 Reply