The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nord Lead A1R vs. Virus Ti2
Old 28th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit ➡️
Nothing wrong with forming a tentative opinion about a synth based on Internet demos alone but, when you say it's "not conducive to new age stuff," you're really overstepping your ability to discern and trending towards either disingenuousness or bias. As an actual owner of the Virus and P12, as well as having worked with an A1 and NL4, my opinions are at least based on real experience. This, of course, does not make them correct or valid for everyone - but at least it gives me an equal seat at the table.

In other words, I respect your dislike for the Internet demos; but maybe you should be a little less authoritative in your statements about the synth's ability to succeed in a given genre until you've actually, well, played one.

All stated with respect.
Don't tell me. Show me. I'd love to be proven wrong. The P12, on paper, seems like my dream synth. It just doesn't seem to sound like it.

I should also clarify that if it were priced in the neighbourhood of the Blofeld I'd own it. I kind of like that gritty ugliness at times. ...but as I said to Quantum7 in another thread, while he's out in space imagining nebula are singing to him, I'm taking out the alien hoards with a ray gun. Have you listened to his music? Not my cup o'romulan brandy, but it's very beautiful and pristine sounding in a way that I seldom hear in P12 demos. Prove me wrong though. I love to learn.

P.S. I recently ditched a Snow because I thought it sounded a bit ugly to my ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by three86 ➡️
The good thing about hardware over vst is that you can sell them and buy different ones or even the same ones you've had previously.
It's amazing to me people that don't realize you can resell the vast majority of software. And if you tend to buy the more reputable plugs and/or on-sale, the depreciation hit really isn't so bad. I recently sold about $1,800 worth of software I had accumulated over the past five years and was able to recoup 70% of my initial investment. All without having to ship things, deal with ebay, scammers or craigslist. KVR marketplace is your friend when reselling software.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
It's amazing to me people that don't realize you can resell the vast majority of software. And if you tend to buy the more reputable plugs and/or on-sale, the depreciation hit really isn't so bad. I recently sold about $1,800 worth of software I had accumulated over the past five years and was able to recoup 70% of my initial investment. All without having to ship things, deal with ebay, scammers or craigslist. KVR marketplace is your friend when reselling software.
wow that is cool. I just assumed it was difficult license transfer process and there wasn't a market or demand for it. I'll check out kvr.

One difference is that software investment only goes down in value immediately as well as over time (maybe I am wrong about that?) but 70% is a lot better than 0. Wanna buy my windows 3.1 disks?
Old 28th March 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ti all the way. That's why it costs more. Totally subjective, but here is an example: I recently set out to make a tune completely ITB just for an experiment. It was sounding good (lots of predator, u-he diva, lush 101, etc), but I get to a point where I feel like something is missing. I add 1 instance of Virus Ti and it just sounds so good. Maybe it's the contrast of vst vs va, but the virus sound is just so much more gluey (pardon my adjective).

In short, the Ti is a modern classic.
Old 17th August 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry to resurrect this topic but it's important to say that the A1 envelopes do not have sustain.
(ADR only where as the Virus have normal ADSR)

I know somebody who sold his A1r for this reason.
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopongle ➡️
Sorry to resurrect this topic but it's important to say that the A1 envelopes do not have sustain.
(ADR only where as the Virus have normal ADSR)
That's not quite true. While the A1's envelopes do not have a sustain control, they will sustain when the decay control is set to full. In this way the envelope will act as an ASR envelope.

In practice, Nord's system works well enough. But the Virus's envelopes are indeed better - there's four of them and they also have the additional sustain slope parameter.
📝 Reply