The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro....
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro....

Good lord, like heaven on the ears. I've owned quite a few headphones in my time, and these are easily the nicest of the bunch. They also sound amazing straight out of the box, no break in needed. So damn comfortable, and HOLY DETAIL......I never thought i'd say this, but they put my AKG701's to shame.

Anyone else rocking these cans?
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Yep, they're incredible (and comfy)
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley View Post
Good lord, like heaven on the ears. I've owned quite a few headphones in my time, and these are easily the nicest of the bunch. They also sound amazing straight out of the box, no break in needed. So damn comfortable, and HOLY DETAIL......I never thought i'd say this, but they put my AKG701's to shame.

Anyone else rocking these cans?
Yup. Love them but still gotta get a driver replaced on mine. One of those things I guess. Lucky me. But yes, they sound incredible. I grabbed a pair of Sony 7506 to fill the gap till the repair and actually love those for different reasons. But the DT is an AWESOME sounding/detailed piece of work. No regrets even with the freak problem.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, absolutely love these cans.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

I love'm.. It's probably one of the most important tool in my bedroom studio.
Old 6th March 2015
Yes, but they do benefit from a break in period... and a good headphone amp!
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Bright does give the impression of more detail.
Old 6th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperNET View Post
Yes, but they do benefit from a break in period... and a good headphone amp!
I've got the 250ohms version directly running to my Saffire Pro 40 headphone out. Do I still need an amp or should my interface provide enough power?
Old 6th March 2015
I've had a pair of these for many years, love them.

Totally reliable. Can wear them _all_ day and hardly notice. Built like a tank so no bits of plastic breaking and falling apart (Grado, ahem). Good solid workhorses and I find them not too bright so they make everything sound artificially clearer than it really is.

+10, I love my 880 pros, will never part with them!
Old 6th March 2015
rez
Lives for gear

the beyerdynamic dt-880 original model are my favorite cans - have been using them daily for almost ten years now!
my other cans to contrast the dt-880 are sony mdr-7506 (with beyerdynamic velour earpads to replace those cheap faux leather originals that break every couple of months) which bring out other aspects of the mix.

peace, rez
Old 6th March 2015
Gear Addict

I've been thinking about grabbing a pair of 770s--is there a huge difference between the 250ohm models and the lower impedance ones, or is it simply a matter of preference?
Old 6th March 2015
Just bought a pair a few days ago, by far the most comfortable headphones ever!

Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

they're my main/only studio headphones. they're really good.
they're useless for mixing bass though, but i guess that's the case with all headphones.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

I'm tempted to get some DT-880's, as I love my DT-770's, but would like a semi-closed or open back version.

I have AKG K702's and i'm not that sold on them, even after 6 months use.
Old 6th March 2015
Gear Guru

I also use them - they are really nice sounding!

I don't find them heavenly comfortable though, after an hour or so they start to hurt the outline of my ears a bit (and yes I've adjusted the rim). :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normie View Post
Yup. Love them but still gotta get a driver replaced on mine. One of those things I guess. Lucky me.
I had to change a driver after 15 months and I'm sure we're not the only ones.
Using the non-pro version here (600 ohms) and they do sound incredible.

For those who want to know about impedance, I plug them directly in my MBP and it's usable. Not LOUD, but usable... and my ears thank me
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Yup, great set of 'phones. I use these more than any other, second only to the Monoprice cheapos. Physically, very comfortable. They are better at long-term listening fatigue than other headphones, imo. Very good sound quality and are tolerant of fair/mediocre headphone amps (my Mackie Big Knob drives these quite well).
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

I've got them running into my saffire pro 40. do i still need a headphone amp? they can get plenty loud, but from a clarity/detail perspective, would I benefit?
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

also good deals can be had on ebay for these cans. i snagged a brand new never before open pair for $210.
Gear Guru

Quote:
I've got them running into my saffire pro 40. do i still need a headphone amp? they can get plenty loud, but from a clarity/detail perspective, would I benefit?
No, you wouldn't I think. If they're plenty loud, you're fine.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had the same question ages ago because I plug them directly into my mixer. They're really loud even at 1/3 volume for me
As long as you've got the volume then your interface is obviously capable of driving them - so the quality should be fine as-is.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear
Anyone care to explain how they compare to the Senn HD600?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Anyone care to explain how they compare to the Senn HD600?
I don't own HD600 but I have heard them and the 650 too. Possibly a wider soundstage on the Senn, but the Beyers have (to my ears) better bass and high end detail in the highs.

Also the Beyers will survive about 100years in a studio, being dropped, trodden on etc. The Senns might last a few years in a house. They are more robust than Grados but neither is a match for the tank-like (yet comfortable) DT-880s

Must add, there are different specs of 880, I have the older, original 880 pros. Paired with good headphone stage I think they sound pretty amazing. Also semi-open is a good compromise for keeping sound in and noise out. HDs might be a little more hifi and classical orientated. On some electronic music though I'd found the HDs are a bit, erm thin and weedy, for want of a better word. HDs are good in the midrange though. Try them all before you buy, they are all decent cans...
Old 6th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Mine were great, lasted about 8 months and then one of the drivers went out, seems to be a common issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemicalAudio View Post
Mine were great, lasted about 8 months and then one of the drivers went out, seems to be a common issue.
On the 880s? Were they a newer model? Mine are I suppose 10 years old and sound like new. Did the driver go at loud volume? Hi or low impedance variety?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
On the 880s? Were they a newer model? Mine are I suppose 10 years old and sound like new. Did the driver go at loud volume? Hi or low impedance variety?
The left hand driver in mine is a bit iffy now and again... requires an occasional hard tap to stop it vibrating weirdly and that sorts it out. I've had them 10 years though and they're very well made considering the amount of use they've had.

They're *seriously* comfortable headphones too.

I've considered getting some of their closed back models as another reference seeing as though the neighbours have started to complain about noise. Does anyone own the 880s and 770s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
The left hand driver in mine is a bit iffy now and again... requires an occasional hard tap to stop it vibrating weirdly and that sorts it out. I've had them 10 years though and they're very well made considering the amount of use they've had.

They're *seriously* comfortable headphones too.
I guess they can be fixed, new drivers etc?

They are seriously comfortable indeed. I've some other pairs of over and on-ear headphones, senns and the like and nothing is as comfortable as the 880s. For me that's a big deal as I don't appreciate ear-ache or head-ache after prolonged listening. I find with the 880s pretty much zero listening fatigue even if on all day. Can't say the same about some other makes that start to make me uncomfortable after even just an hour or two.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
I had the same question ages ago because I plug them directly into my mixer. They're really loud even at 1/3 volume for me
As long as you've got the volume then your interface is obviously capable of driving them - so the quality should be fine as-is.
You are confusing quality with quantity. A "better" headphone amp may well have "better" "clarity and detail" as well as dynamics and bass oomph, even if they don't need more volume. Two separate issues...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
You are confusing quality with quantity. A "better" headphone amp may well have "better" "clarity and detail" as well as dynamics and bass oomph, even if they don't need more volume. Two separate issues...
Quite possibly yeah... I know nothing about that kind of thing really. It's just how I rationalised it in my head :.

They sound fine to me via the mixer's outputs though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
In my case, no. 250 Ohm version powered via Focusrite 18i20. They never got 'loud' by any definition even with all possible volume controls maxed on the Mixcontrol software, hardware, Windows/DAW etc. If anything I'd say they needed a real amp. And I listen/monitor at conversational levels so only rarely pushed them in any way like that.

When mine failed, it was a quick crackle and then one driver gone. I thought it was the cable as I often fall asleep wearing them and thought it had been kinked/pulled somehow and simply chose that moment to give up the ghost. I took them apart and checked things over with a multimeter, checked for cold solder/broken solder etc. No joy. Dead driver.
๐Ÿ“ Reply