The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro....
Old 2nd May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
3 days ago got DT 880(250 ohm) , exelent, absolute comfortable & zero listening fatigue even if on all night, for mastering + mixing sounds great clean , even i can feel like there is a synth panned under 25-35% on the left or right, my go by presonus vsl22, right now is perfect, without AMP, those brothers from studios said great great pair of,
Old 3rd May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
how do they compare to the Focal Spirit Pro?
Old 18th April 2018
Deleted c985153
Anyone bought a recent pair of these and have them die quickly? Want to order em but some of the driver issues noted earlier in this thread have me worried

It's down to either that or audio technica ATH m50x for me.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Mine are going strong for 5 years now.
Old 18th April 2018
Deleted c985153
Thanks EvilDragon! Good to know.

Anyone else? I'm about to hit the order button, it's your last chance to make a difference!
Old 18th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c985153 View Post
Anyone else? I'm about to hit the order button, it's your last chance to make a difference!
I've been through several 880s, 990s, and in the end I settled with the 770 pro. Also have an AKG K872 for checking mixdowns but the 770s are my favourite cans for listening to and creating music. Think twice!
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
880s are the most neutral for critical listening IMHO. 770s and 990s are a bit overly hyped.
Old 18th April 2018
Deleted c985153
Actually couldn't resist any longer and placed the order. I was considering the 770s as well, but they weren't in stock at my usual retailers. I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a few sets of phones anyways (probably ATH M50x next) so I'll keep the 770 on my radar.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's why I like the 770s. They are very good general purpose (hi-fi) headphones and very comfortable to wear.

The AKG is brutally honest in comparison (like a monitor box).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c985153 View Post
Actually couldn't resist any longer and placed the order. I was considering the 770s as well, but they weren't in stock at my usual retailers. I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a few sets of phones anyways (probably ATH M50x next) so I'll keep the 770 on my radar.
the 880s are very good, too. You will not be disappointed!
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Picked up 770's a few months ago. Very comfortable, clear.
Deleted 7ad91e3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pete View Post
Anyone bought a recent pair of these and have them die quickly? Want to order em but some of the driver issues noted earlier in this thread have me worried

It's down to either that or audio technica ATH m50x for me.
yeah, they are horrible. Had a Beyer DT770 that lastet me somewhat 20 years. I got rid of it cause I got myself a DT880 just the other year. The DT770 would still work fine but the hearpillows started to develop kind of a odor because of me wearing them 1000s of hours

....Qualitywise...Beyerdynamic are the best headphones...period!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7ad91e3 View Post
The DT770 would still work fine but the hearpillows started to develop kind of a odor because of me wearing them 1000s of hours
Wait, what ? you didn't swap out the pillows for new ones every once in a while ? *yikes* :D :D

The only bad thing I have to say about Beyerdynamic headphones is that the plastic part where the speaker part slides in broke down after a couple of years (happened to _all_ my DT headphones!). It should be made of metal.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I still love my 880s. Despite treading on them and breaking a driver, which I repaired and are now as good as new.

So comfortable. A joy to listen to.

If you need parts they are very good. They have a supplier in Sussex if you need drivers and spares. Super easy to repair too, which is nice.

Thumbs up, great product.
Old 24th April 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 80b9b09
I've been eyeing these up for some time now.

How often do you have to change the earpads on them?
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
It is all relative to how much you use them and how filthy your ears are... I swapped mine after some 4 years.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have used AKG k240 studios for over 10 years now and I really like the sound of them. There's a clear presence on mids and neither the highs or lows are overly hyped, but the bass is still punchy. As one of the cones started to resonate strangely (which was actually some material from now brittle and cracked ear pads that got clogged between the driver and the pad) I decided to look for options.

Naturally I thought that the AKG 702's would be the best option and almost ordered them, but I still decided to test some other models. Headphones (like monitor speakers) are things that still get me excited. There are huge differences between manufacturers and models. I went to a shop but unfortunately I wasn't able to test all the headphones with a proper amp and I had to use my iPhone and a ****ty rnb tune I had downloaded just to test iTunes.

Anyway the differences were huge. My first surprise was the 702. It surely sounded pretty linear but like a slope that has big emphasize on highs. Compared to the 702 the 240s sounded more even (even though not flat) which was a surprise to me. IMHO the 990 sounded quite artificial, like there was a loudness button switched on constantly. Strangely I liked the 80 ohm version better than the 32 ohm version. The 880 sounded pretty close to 702, but I wasn't impressed by either at first.

But I got a change to try and compare the 880 250 ohm version against K240s using a proper headphone amp. And that was quite revealing (but not relieving). What I thought as bass using the k240s was actually (somewhat pronounced) low mids. Using that ****ty rnb reference track I could hear the bass was quite inconsistent between various pitches. Compared to that the 880 brought out completely another layer of bass I didn't even know existed. I could say the same about high frequencies, but they still weren't piercing.

I want to buy new headphones. The 880s would be an easy choice, but does anyone feel that the bass feel somewhat loose? I couldn't try it with a real hard hitting 909 kick that would slice a badly designed cone. I wasn't able to test the 702 with a proper amp either, but I think its impedance is pretty close to 240s. Is there any underdogs that would be better than the 880s for banging electronic music?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am using both 240s and 880s at the moment (and Apple earbuds)

I would say most of the time I use the 880s, but here are my observations:
I find that the 880's are most present (likely due to the semi closed design) somehow overall the sound is full-er
I think I get a lot more detail in the uppers mids and highs on the 240s

Unfortunately, I agree - I don't get quite enough clarity on the bass in either pair, but there is more bass in the 880s which is slightly more helpful. The best mixes I have done (on headphones) involved me using both of these + the Apple Earbuds. I am unsure if it's that I have the most ear time w/ the Apple, or that they are somehow the equivalent of NS10s - when I got my mixes sounding good on all 3, they sounded good in the club.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
d880 pro user here .
Took me a while to get used to them , been using them 1.5 years now .
Really satisfied , might want to grab me some sony mdr 7506 to accompany them .
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It is all relative to how much you use them and how filthy your ears are... I swapped mine after some 4 years.
I commend you on your ear hygiene!!!
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
d880 pro user here .
Took me a while to get used to them , been using them 1.5 years now .
Really satisfied , might want to grab me some sony mdr 7506 to accompany them .
I'm going the other way. My 7506 gave given me great service for many many years now. However, the damned ear pads fall apart after a while.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 80b9b09 View Post
I commend you on your ear hygiene!!!
Ahaha. No, actually mine are really bad. I literally need to q-tip them every two days, but oftentimes I just let it slide.

Over here it's more of the case of using them progressively less and less. I think the most of gunk on them accumulated in the first 2-2.5 years, then I started using them less and at one point just went to Thomann's website to see if they stock new pads for them. They did, so I got 'em.
Old 17th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWiley View Post
Good lord, like heaven on the ears. I've owned quite a few headphones in my time, and these are easily the nicest of the bunch. They also sound amazing straight out of the box, no break in needed. So damn comfortable, and HOLY DETAIL......I never thought i'd say this, but they put my AKG701's to shame.

Anyone else rocking these cans?
I have used DT 770 something around 5 years before I buy the DT 880

Comfort :

There is nothing to do with Good Lord and heaven on ears, because DT 880 is not comfortable on ears at all, they are much harder and not sit well if compare them with DT 770
My DT 880 have spiral cable which is heavy , in this case I changed the location of my audio interface, because this cable pushes master fader on my mixer every time I move .... so not very comfortable.

Sound :

Because of the boosted frequencies in 8-10 kHz they sound harsh. High frequencies sound very strange on them like bad filter or wrong setting and too much-squashed feeling - not natural.
Without Sonarworks Reference 4 plugin correction I have no idea how to use them if you want to mix something on these headphones.
You will need an amp for them because they are 250 ohm ...don't have enough volume if plug them straight in interface. Mid frequencies is ok if compare to DT770, also low end is more detalised then DT 770
Sound have more space and deepness , I believe because DT 880 is half-open , but DT 770 is closed

So ..... to be honest I dont like them now -but I will try to spend more time to understand how they translate.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I have 250 Ohm DT-880 and don't need an amp for them at all. My interface (and even my old one, TC Impact Twin) handles it very nicely with enough volume.

And they really ARE comfortable. And they don't sound harsh.
Old 17th January 2020 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Seems like we might have huge ears, eh? :D
Well....

...you know how they say... huge ears = huge ****.

Kidding aside. Actually my ears are normal size. But i have noticed something else. I no longer feel any pain with 880's and ears as i used to! BTW my rims are all clean as they are from day one. Kinda weird since i wash my head only two times a week. But then i shave my head perhaps that's the reason 880's are pristine. I used to wear long hair and mild beard, wanted to look as old a possible, but now i've switched roles. All shaved and taking care for the skin to be like baby's butt.

@ k elements 880's are definitely their best choice for monitoring. However if you are producing music specifically for clubs, 990 might actually be a better choice. They give an extra low end. Compared to 990, 880 are bass shy. I still love every second i spend with 880's, they are pleasant, precise and NOT bass aggressive.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Well....

...you know how they say... huge ears = huge ****.

Kidding aside. Actually my ears are normal size. But i have noticed something else. I no longer feel any pain with 880's and ears as i used to! BTW my rims are all clean as they are from day one. Kinda weird since i wash my head only two times a week. But then i shave my head perhaps that's the reason 880's are pristine. I used to wear long hair and mild beard, wanted to look as old a possible, but now i've switched roles. All shaved and taking care for the skin to be like baby's butt.

@ k elements 880's are definitely their best choice for monitoring. However if you are producing music specifically for clubs, 990 might actually be a better choice. They give an extra low end. Compared to 990, 880 are bass shy. I still love every second i spend with 880's, they are pleasant, precise and NOT bass aggressive.
Don Solaris
I'm just sharing my first impression - 3 days with DT 880
and not saying anything bad about low or mid frequencies they are better then DT770 , problematic part for me is high frequencies - If you have Reference 4 plugin you can see preset for 880 - they cut out a lot of highs....after that they are ok . In terms of comfort they can`t beat DT 770

PS. My ears are little bit smaller then elephants usually have ))
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by k elements View Post
In terms of comfort they can`t beat DT 770
Yes they can
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

My favorite headphones, I also have AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD800. I expected Sennheisers to be an upgrade over 880s...but they weren't. 880s + Sonarworks = closest listening to monitors in a treated studio in my experience.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I got a pair of AKG K240 the other month and they became my favourite headphones. But at the time I almost went for the DT880PRO. Including the 770s and 990s, which Beyerdynamic would you recommend for someone who likes the those AKGs?
πŸ“ Reply