The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Promars plug out
Old 14th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8dcaace View Post
Now replace that with I want an exact replica of a vintage Jag, but the mpg isn't as good because it's an exact replica. You could swap the engine for a nice effecient BMW engine, but then it wouldn't be a replica of a Jag anymore.
BMW efficient? Yeah when it's off in the garage.
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
(Not my video)

Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is that the on-board delay in that vid? Not too bad!
Old 14th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Is that the on-board delay in that vid? Not too bad!
Actually I really like the SYSTEM-1 delay implemented in these plugouts quite a bit.
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really like the fx built into their plugs. Really nice sounding, especially the delay.
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I owned a Promars and sorry but the top-end of the sound is nothing like the original.. Digital recreation do really fail with frequencies above 8khz.
Old 15th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi View Post
I owned a Promars and sorry but the top-end of the sound is nothing like the original.. Digital recreation do really fail with frequencies above 8khz.
I guess you downloaded the demo and express this opinion, and not from the video posted a couple of posts before, which is so bad sounding (144p).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
I guess you downloaded the demo and express this opinion, and not from the video posted a couple of posts before, which is so bad sounding (144p).
I've listened to numerous demos. The Promars is amazing for leads and evolving arps and the plug out struggles with that because of what I'm hearing are the harsher upper regions. For bass or lower range frequencies, it gets very close and I would have no issue using it for that purpose in productions.
Deleted d59bfd5
Quote:
I was under the same impression:
some patches seem to sound muddier and others seem to lack bass frequencies, but tweaking the "Tone" knob in the VCA section does wonders to me.
Quote:
I've listened to numerous demos...
firsthand experience is so overrated when there is conjecture, supposition and hearsay.

I've never had the opportunity to touch a Promars but the Plug-Out sounds very good, that said I can't offer an opinion on its accuracy.

with the tiniest effort you could have instead shared an insight of value worth reading. it took a few minutes to download the demo and have it running. I'm certain many here would appreciate you offering an actual opinion.
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm liking what I hear in the Promars, even though I doubt it sounds really analog or like the original it's a nice synth in it's own right and definitely has some kinda sound that I've not heard so often in soft synths (in a good way). People rave more about the SH-2 plug out but on a few days demo the Promars instantly had this more analog sounding tone to it (not to say I don't like the SH-2 plug either, I think it sounds great for software!)

Also I tend to stay in the lower/mid octaves with these synths anyway as I agree they often crap out on the top end.

Last edited by Pro5; 7th May 2015 at 03:03 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Don't judge by demos, not because of youtube, simply you don't know what the user has done. It sounds excellent, roland is in the game.

I hear what you say in the vid above, it sounds bad and not analog in the highs i hate that but i just run the demo and it's not like that. The sw has more/different controls to tweak from the hw like tone control, he may even have dialed some bit crusher. Tone from 9-12 o clock ...even more.. sounds very nice, it just gives you the option to go brighter. However it lacks the hw punch and sharpness like comparing new vs old moogs imho.

My remarks, those silver knobs in the gui need AA and linear control (for all knobs). Analog synths with output meters? Just put a clip led, we have rev and delay fx, then vu meters as well, looks cheesy ...but kinda fun. "Option" and "setting" tabs should write "options" and "settings" i believe, they look funny in a japanese way!

I like promar more for it's tone.

Now bring the polys.

Last edited by audslu; 21st March 2015 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: my mistake
Old 16th March 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've played it a couple of hours today and seems good, more clarity (less boomy) than sh 2 and a smoother mid and hi sound, it's not still time to say this but i may like it more than the sh2, i may be mad but it sounds very analogue and real to me, great plugin.
Old 16th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
Plot twist :

Thread doesn't end in people moaning about roland not releasing a Jupiter 8 reissue.
Still no reissue? Stupid you're roland.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audslu View Post

My remarks, those silver knobs in the gui need AA and linear control (for all knobs). Analog synths with output meters? Just put a clip led, we have rev and delay fx, then vu meters as well, looks cheesy ...but kinda fun. "Option" and "setting" tabs should write "options" and "settings" i believe, they look funny in a japanese way!

Now bring the polys.
"Promars"

i believe promar looks funny in a gearslutz way!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why is it called the ProMars? Is it a positive vote for the planet? Why isn't the Jupiter called the ProJupiter. Seems a bit planetist. Its a strange name but the demo is great.
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
Why is it called the ProMars? Is it a positive vote for the planet? Why isn't the Jupiter called the ProJupiter. Seems a bit planetist. Its a strange name but the demo is great.
HeeHee. On a serious note I think the 'Pro' is for Programmable, a novel feature at the time for a mono synth. It's related to all their 'CompuPhonic' range - what a fabulously '70s term even presented in the ultimate '70s font (Data 70?). Groovy.
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds nice after first trial. Definately different to SH-2. Feels kind of sharper and "glassier" than the super smooth SH-2. I didn't immediately fall in love as with SH-2. Need to try more, but the 10 min trial time is annnnnnoying......

A few questions to wiser people than me, is it normal that there is a clicky sound often when notes change? I can't seem to get rid of it even with a little attack. The same thing always bugged me with Arturia's JP8v has the same "feature" and I'm beginning to think if it really is a feature.

Is there a logic to VCO-2 tuning scale? It seems to be one octave up at 79 on the scale of 0-127 and fifth semi at 37.

The arpeggio is still out of order using Studio One v2 on a Mac. Both AU and VST play an extra first note when starting an arp. It's a different bug than with SH-2, which plays the arpeggio with a bit of a delay so it's not in sync with rest of the project.

Edit. You can actually get some pretty nasty noises with the LFO going crazy over PWM and Pitch. This is definately very different to SH-2.

Edit2. Ok, bought it. Completely in love after an hour of trialing, amazing stuff again!

Last edited by raymondwave; 16th March 2015 at 02:28 PM..
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
yes I agree in that the high end does get quite glassy and harsh esp with the filter open...the tone knob tames it a bit but a real Promars doesnt go there...still its quite a nice VA sound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audslu View Post

In the sh-2 thread i heard a vid with an awesome very punchy and heavy saw... after demoing sh-2 it's not even close, not that is bad but obviously there's something like maxxbass on top of it (in the promo). It's not an official roland vid i think still the guy loses credibility totaly.

Now bring the polys.
er I think you'll find the sh2 is very close...no tricks - Don Solaris produced a bit of sh2 audio to demonstrate how fat the sh2 was - and I replicated it on the aira with tone set at 0.

There is also an extensive sh09 vs aira sh2 on the web that also demonstrates this.
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Made a quick doodle with Promars plugout. Wasn't aiming at anything particular, just some first experiments. First 5 min is with a simple arp and the rest is different noises using LFO.

Last edited by raymondwave; 16th March 2015 at 05:41 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
"Promars"

i believe promar looks funny in a gearslutz way!

Haha busted!

Better open promar vst plug outs, go to setting and select the options "stop the funniness you silly loland and gs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
er I think you'll find the sh2 is very close...no tricks - Don Solaris produced a bit of sh2 audio to demonstrate how fat the sh2 was - and I replicated it on the aira with tone set at 0.

There is also an extensive sh09 vs aira sh2 on the web that also demonstrates this.
I've already heard all those clips.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
Made a quick doodle with Promars plugout. Wasn't aiming at anything particular, just some first experiments. First 5 min is with a simple arp and the rest is different noises using LFO.

Nice! thanks for sharing!
Old 17th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

epicness !

nice one
Old 23rd March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I heard the demo of this Promars on youtube over the weekend.. WOWWWW!!, that's a very good sounding synth.. Very synthpoppy? Erasuresque?

You know, If I'm buying a VST, it would now be a ROland because it's cheaper at 145.00 yet, sounds sooo mature sounding.. And, I can plugout to system 1.

I'm getting this later this year.
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
When I first listened to the demo version I was like "meh"

But since I layed out a double synth/ bassline using the demo versions of the SH-2 and the Promars plug in I am a believer.

However, I must say that the initial impression I get off some poorly recorded youtube videos always is similar to the impression I get when testing a device properly. The sound quality was very similar to what I heard in the youtube videos and by randomly clicking on videos of the "real deal" one can hear a basic difference in the tonal quality (I only played Jup-4, no Promars yet - so I can not compare directly). When I was watching some Roland product advertisement video of the SH-2 plug there was a guy who had a real SH-2 and he did match some tones - in that video they sounded absolutely the same to me. I'm not sure if this just applies to certain settings as I created some sound which turns into a sinewave if you hit high keys, but it's a rich much more complex sound when you hit lower keys. I was under the impression that this clearly sounds like excessive band limiting and I never had an analogue synth reacting like that (at least none I ever heard reacted that "hard" with overtones hitting the upper limit of the audio range)
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bought this over the weekend and to me it sounds really great. Wish I had a real Promars to compare it to, but I've managed to replicate the patches on the top YouTube vids nearly exactly. It blows me away how accurate these plugs are, and how much character, depth and warmth they have. I love losing myself in synths, just playing and tweaking, and plugs never hold me for too long. This does, and I couldn't be happier!

Even better that with a little max4live cleverness you can turn it into a 2 osc Jupiter 4 with 8 voices, controlled by one System 1

But I have 1 issue: the osc 2 tune control is annoyingly stepped. I'm not talking about sweeps but specific values - the jump between values is too big. You can get smaller steps if you edit with a mouse in the plug. It's not stepped on a Promars (this wasn't a digitally controlled parameter), so it's not an emulation feature. Anyone else notice this? Is it worth emailing Roland about and hoping for a fix in an update??
Old 27th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfc83 View Post
But I have 1 issue: the osc 2 tune control is annoyingly stepped. I'm not talking about sweeps but specific values - the jump between values is too big. You can get smaller steps if you edit with a mouse in the plug. It's not stepped on a Promars (this wasn't a digitally controlled parameter), so it's not an emulation feature. Anyone else notice this? Is it worth emailing Roland about and hoping for a fix in an update??
If it isn't really stepped like it's now in the plugin, then it's clearly a bug. I also noticed that it's very stepped and coarse for a fine tune.
Old 27th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If it isn't really stepped like it's now in the plugin, then it's clearly a bug. I also noticed that it's very stepped and coarse for a fine tune.
Unfortunately I don't have a Promars, I based my info/assumption on this Sound On Sound overview:

Roland MRS2 Promars

Quote:
Since these tuning controls (which actually span somewhat more than one octave) do not form part of the programmable bit of the sound, they offer an interesting performance option.
If the fine tunes aren't programmable (can't save setting to patches) they probably aren't digitally controlled... It would be great if a Promars owner could offer some info as to whether this control is actually stepped or not.

For some reason I'd feel more comfortable being limited by an actual limitation of the original synth than by the plugin. The steps are too big, I would always prefer to have the value somewhere in between the steps... But I make do because it sounds so great anyway ha
Old 29th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just got a System 1 and had a try at this plug...

It doesn't have that warm analog sound that the promars offers...

that said, it sounds great.

Like pointed before, the highs are a bit harsher, also the portamento doesn't behave like it and the resonance is a bit less musical.

I plan on using this live, it's much more than good enough to my tastes.

One thing though, i sure hope they come out with some tweaks for the reverbs, i like how it sounds, but i wish you could tone it down but most importantly, get rid of that big ass pre-delay on the verb... I'd rather have no or almost no pre-delay on the verb than an unsync-ed one, doesn't matter for pads, but for staccato type sounds, it kinda ruins it for me.
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here are a bucnh of Promars, All sounds in videos are promars only, except drums, no effects, Area 303 sounds cool lol
Low end is legit on this thing, all roland plug-out synths have that low end, a few poly plug-outs with a quality like that would be awesome. Still there's a room for improvement, but know it feels that we're "really" 80-90% there, at least you can use it "naked" without feeing embarrassed lol

Last edited by BlueeyedBlond; 7th May 2015 at 02:18 PM..
πŸ“ Reply