The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Promars plug out
Old 13th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
No shame in multi-tracking at all. I've made a lot of music using only mono synths. Multi-tracking chords and sampling pad/string sounds. No one would ever know.

Mono synths typically have more features than poly synths and often in the case of many classics, better sounding oscillators and filters.

I like the concept of the System1, but still think a four voice VA is dumb. Its totally worthless for pads or strings due to voice stealing which I can't stand to hear. It's a VA...you can't give me 12 or at least 10 voices? C'mon! I know its a small keyboard and all but then why make it a poly at all?

I'm still getting it because I dig the concept and want to support future development.
But because it's digital doesn't mean you automatically get a bunch of polyphony. On a simple model yes but ultimately it's down to DSP power. There is a limited amount of DSP in the S1 and I'm sure they wanted to limit how CPU hungry the plugin versions would get. Already they eat a fair amount of CPU but that's the price you pay for this level of emulation.

I can imagine a system-x with more internal DSP and polyphony.
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm hoping for something like Roland's take on the Access Virus. All the DSP housed in the machine and the VST acts as a front end for it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Apathy View Post
But because it's digital doesn't mean you automatically get a bunch of polyphony. On a simple model yes but ultimately it's down to DSP power. There is a limited amount of DSP in the S1 and I'm sure they wanted to limit how CPU hungry the plugin versions would get. Already they eat a fair amount of CPU but that's the price you pay for this level of emulation.

I can imagine a system-x with more internal DSP and polyphony.
There's a lot limited hardware-wise regarding the S1. Disappointingly so. For $600 they want to charge you what equates to about $80 in actual hardware. It's a sad joke. It would've not cost them that much more to put in a real keyboard and decent capabilities. We aren't stuck with pentium 2's anymore.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
There's a lot limited hardware-wise regarding the S1. Disappointingly so. For $600 they want to charge you what equates to about $80 in actual hardware. It's a sad joke. It would've not cost them that much more to put in a real keyboard and decent capabilities. We aren't stuck with pentium 2's anymore.
80 bucks? Where do you get that figure from?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
Its totally worthless for pads or strings due to voice stealing which I can't stand to hear. It's a VA...you can't give me 12 or at least 10 voices? C'mon! I know its a small keyboard and all but then why make it a poly at all?

I'm still getting it because I dig the concept and want to support future development.
Minimoog, Odyssey, and a most to all other classic mono-synths are not great at pads either .. =p
The concept rocks. And good ideas will always win.
Polys will come inevitably like in the 70's. I will be ready for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Minimoog, Odyssey, and a most to all other classic mono-synths are not great at pads either .. =p
The concept rocks. And good ideas will always win.
Polys will come inevitably like in the 70's. I will be ready for it.
I'd have agreed with you once upon a time. Then I bought this:

Listen at 10:56 or towards the very end of the video.

Chordgasm.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post

Chordgasm.

Yep the whole "monos are too thick/not good for pad sounds etc." is an urban legend that won't die.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone been able to download the manual?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Chordgasm.
Yea its awesome, no doubt. Still, i cant load it into a keyboard, dont have knobs and faders .. apples vs peaches.

Emulation is ok for now. More will come.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveytitanium View Post
Has anyone been able to download the manual?
the manual is included in the trial versions of the promars..just click 'help'
Old 14th March 2015
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds quite good, but the GUIs are too small, or they use too small font. Hard to see even that I use a 42" lcd with only full hd resolution. I wonder how anybody can see anything looking from laptop screen. Also, at least testing the SH-2, the filter cutoff jumps when moving with mouse.
Old 14th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Sounds quite good, but the GUIs are too small, or they use too small font. Hard to see even that I use a 42" lcd with only full hd resolution. I wonder how anybody can see anything looking from laptop screen. Also, at least testing the SH-2, the filter cutoff jumps when moving with mouse.
I thought the same but cresshead pointed out you can resize the GUI, it's in the options button.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I thought the same but cresshead pointed out you can resize the GUI, it's in the options button.
Yes i noticed that the GUIs can be resized, but then they get just stretched and blurred as well. This is on logic 9.1.8 and mac osx 10.8.4. Does the zoom work for others so that the GUI does not get blurred at the same time?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Demo'd these (and SH-2) - these are some nice soft synths!
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
How about merging this and the other thread about this plugin, both in the same forum section?
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey finished a track earlier today, promars on the bassline and tr8 on the drums.

Lives for gear

Quote:

Chordgasm.
So i downloaded the trial version of the pro mars...and today got the trial version of Oddity 2 to also test out...have to say in logic pro x Oddity Really ate up cpu...much more than the pro mars or the sh2 and generally side by side not feeling much incentive for the oddity 2 which is double the price of the sh2 or promars, it sounds thinner than either roland synth when played on the lower notes and is especially noticeable in bass patches where the oddity just starts to go hollow and flappy whereas the sh2 oozes handfuls of cholesterol dripping from the speakers!

for weird sfx sounds and atmospheric pads oddity 2 sounds okay but for low basslines...nah can't cut it...goes all flappy bird on ya!
conclusion : oddity 2 is double the price of a roland plugout synth, can't resize the U.i and appears to be VERY cpu hungry in logic pro X, on the plus side geforce software extended the capability of the emulation far beyond the original duophonic synth and also made it fully polyphonic if you want that. Priced at £150 though it's a very hard sell for me...I think the Arturia SEMV is quite comparable, is less cpu intensive for sure in logic pro X, sounds as good or better..it also does poly modes for chords/pads and sell for £70 which is £80 cheaper than the oddity 2....think about it!

this:

or this

PLUS this for the same price....

just sayin

Last edited by cresshead; 14th March 2015 at 03:33 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_expresso View Post
Hey finished a track earlier today, promars on the bassline and tr8 on the drums.

Thanks for posting this.. enjoyed the groove! The Promars sounds good in here!
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
conclusion : oddity 2 is double the price of a roland plugout synth, can't resize the U.i and appears to be VERY cpu hungry in logic pro X, on the plus side geforce software extended the capability of the emulation far beyond the original duophonic synth and also made it fully polyphonic if you want that. Priced at £150 though it's a very hard sell for me...I think the Arturia SEMV is quite comparable, is less cpu intensive for sure in logic pro X, sounds as good or better..it also does poly modes for chords/pads and sell for £70 which is £80 cheaper than the oddity 2....think about it!
So you compared three virtual synths that emulate completely different synths and they sounded different? Impressive comparison skills. I have a ten-year-old old machine here and Oddity2 isn't particularly CPU intensive and I also find that the price isn't double, unless £140/2 = £99, which is the price I see for the Promars ($145 for non-System-1 owners).

Last edited by Deleted 8dcaace; 14th March 2015 at 04:07 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8dcaace View Post
So you compared three virtual synths that emulate completely different synths and they sounded different? Impressive comparison skills. I have an old machine here and it isn't particularly CPU intensive and I also find that the price isn't double (unless £140/2 = £99).

oddity 2 is £116.66 excluding VAT (@ 20%) total price is therefore £139.99

when running oddity 2 on logic pro x it's VERY cpu hungry
when running stand alone it seems okay on a quadcore i5 (2.5ghz)

when looking specifically at BASS patches...the oddity doesn't have the THUMP i hear in the SH2.

you're experiences may vary with different DAW's regarding cpu usage within a DAW.

ADDING a low end boost with EQ tio the oddity does help the bass..it's non eq'd sound is rather thin sounding but boosting the low end does really help the oddity for bass
which adds some warmth to the sound

silly non scientific testing here
oddity 2
oddity2 plus bass EQ
sh2
oddity 2
oddity2 plus bass EQ
sh2

Last edited by cresshead; 14th March 2015 at 05:35 PM..
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
oddity 2 is £116.66 excluding VAT (@ 20%) total price is therefore £139.99
Which is what I said. And Promars is $145 which at current rates is about £99. That's not double in any form of mathematics.

You can only criticise the low end of Oddity 2 if it doesn't match the low end of an Odyssey as that's what it's emulating, not a Promars, not an SH-2, not an SEM. Any other comparison makes no sense.

Last edited by Deleted 8dcaace; 14th March 2015 at 05:29 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Which is what I said. And Promars is $145 which at current rates is about £99. That's not double in any form of mathematics.

You can only criticise the low end of Oddity 2 if it doesn't match the low end of an Odyssey as that's what it's emulating, not a Promars, not an SH-2, not an SEM. Any other comparison makes no sense.
well when i bought the sh2 i paid £80.

oddity is £140

promars2 is 110 euros which is £78 or about 1/2 the cost of the oddity..
at current rates oddity 2 £61 more than a pro mars.

Quote:
i don't care if it's a casio Vs a yamaha...i'm looking for nice sounding basses...so i compare bass sounds...
i can criticize whatever i want...you're not PUTIN! ...it's not a police state..YET

Last edited by cresshead; 14th March 2015 at 06:00 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
Thanks for posting this.. enjoyed the groove! The Promars sounds good in here!
Anytime, thanks for listening
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
well when i bought the sh2 i paid £80.

oddity is £140

promars2 is 110 euros which is £78 or about 1/2 the cost of the oddity..
at current rates oddity 2 £61 more than a pro mars.
From what I can see it's only $110 if you already have the System-1, so that's not a like-for-like price comparison. The regular price is $145 on the site I'm looking at, which is £99.

Quote:
i don't care if it's a casio Vs a yamaha...i'm looking for nice sounding basses...so i compare bass sounds...
i can criticize whatever i want...you're not PUTIN! ...it's not a police state..YET
Again you're not comparing like for like. The Oddity2 (or anything else for that matter) might not have the bass of the Promars because, this is the rocket science bit, it's not modelling a Promars. I know, I know, amazing revelation. Maybe an original Odyssey doesn't produce the bass sound you want either.
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I can see it's only $110 if you already have the System-1, so that's not a like-for-like price comparison. The regular price is $145 on the site I'm looking at, which is £99.

Again you're not comparing like for like. The Oddity2 (or anything else for that matter) might not have the bass of the Promars because, this is the rocket science bit, it's not modelling a Promars. I know, I know, amazing revelation. Maybe an original Odyssey doesn't produce the bass sound you want either.
wrong,...i've already bought the sh2...i can show you my paypal reciept if you want!

i don't have a system 1 btw

when i buy a car i don't just compare ford fiestas to ford fiestas do i?
i want a good 'car"

now replace that with bass sound....

Last edited by cresshead; 14th March 2015 at 07:37 PM..
Deleted 8dcaace
We're talking about Promars, not SH-2. When I click on the buy button I see $145. There is a page of dialogue explaining $110 is a discount for System-1 owners. Show me the receipt for Promars at $110 and I will shut up. The regular start price of the SH-2 is $110.

Last edited by Deleted 8dcaace; 14th March 2015 at 07:08 PM..
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
when i buy a car i don't just compare ford fiestas to ford fiestas do i?
i want a good 'car"

now replace that with bass sound....
Now replace that with I want an exact replica of a vintage Jag, but the mpg isn't as good because it's an exact replica. You could swap the engine for a nice effecient BMW engine, but then it wouldn't be a replica of a Jag anymore.
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

bye bye have a good weekend
Deleted 8dcaace
Yep, C U next Tuesday.
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Expensive compared to diva, oddity would be even more expensive with diva as the reference point.

Diva IMHO sounds very good for bass, but most of the presets are bad and not much "in your face" as the plugout, for sure it can shake a room with ease.

So for me the plugouts are a little bit expensive considering how limited feature wise they are.

Value increases if you have a system 1, and will increase more if they come out with better hardware.
📝 Reply