The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Promars plug out
Old 7th March 2015 | Show parent
Deleted 8dcaace
It seems obvious there should be a five-octave System-2 with JP-4/6/8 and Juno 6/106 and JX-3P/8P models. Surely they've gone too far to back out of this now? Plus the JP-4 modelling is pretty much done with the Promars I would have thought.

It would be a shame if the System-2 could only load poly models and not the mono ones too. But who knows what's going on the inscrutable Roland's minds these days?
Old 7th March 2015
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland needs to do at least System-2 that allows storing of multiple plug-outs at the same time and saving at least 256 programs on board. In any case, the System 1 looks much more promising now that they have proven the models are good.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Roland needs to do at least System-2 that allows storing of multiple plug-outs at the same time and saving at least 256 programs on board. In any case, the System 1 looks much more promising now that they have proven the models are good.
Multiple Plug-Out. Hell yes.

Many Presets. Hell no.

Its the thing i loath most nowadays. Everything comes loaded with presets. One is more at searching for the sound, then making it. And then theres the most stupid of them all: The ROM-Preset... Why would anyone need a ROM Bank?

I get your point. But more than 64 programs is not needed! 8 for every Plug out
Deleted d59bfd5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
okay enough of the "time tunnel"...back to Promars plugout !

so who's now getting a system 1 cos of the pro mars about to drop?
I bought the system-1 a few days after initial release, cause in one of the AIRA video teasers they've mentioned the Promars and System-100 to be available as plug-outs. Having 2 synths for the price of one + the plugout concept convinced me buying the System-1. And the job they did so far with the emulations of the SH-101 & SH-2 are awesome, imo. Not to mention the System-1 is a decent synth on its own and does a fine job as controller as well.
So the Promars will get added to this setup definately.

I really hope to see further emulations like a sh-5 and jupiter 4, please!
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't think they're gonna announce the System 8 as soon as you guys would hope. S1 just barely came out really, only on the 3rd plug out. They're just gettin started and testing the waters. I think we'd see at least 2 more plugs, another emulation and maybe a brand new one like they mentioned. Now that the promars is almost here maybe they'll bring the JP4 for the S1, nobody but Roland really knows if the S1 has enough power to run it.

Oh and about american time, we dont do hours/seconds/minutes. It's hour/minute/seconds = 1:40:55 PM
Old 8th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
I bought the system-1 a few days after initial release, cause in one of the AIRA video teasers they've mentioned the Promars and System-100 to be available as plug-outs. Having 2 synths for the price of one + the plugout concept convinced me buying the System-1. And the job they did so far with the emulations of the SH-101 & SH-2 are awesome, imo. Not to mention the System-1 is a decent synth on its own and does a fine job as controller as well.
So the Promars will get added to this setup definately.

I really hope to see further emulations like a sh-5 and jupiter 4, please!
I think the system 100 will be next - but can't work out how they'll control it - as it had a stack more knobs didn't it?

Anyway, the Promars looks to be amazing - I really like trumpet/brass sound of the original - and with a slow attack and long release, it can really sound like Vangelis.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
hopefully it will sound like this:

I've zero interest in Roland's plug-ins/outs but this gives me massive GAS for a Promars! What a great synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticFlyer View Post
Well, that's a bummer. One less customer for them.
There's always Maschine for wrapping the AU?
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey the Promars is out now, I'm about to pick it up.

https://contentstore.roland.com/aira...t_synthesizer/
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

yeh just got the email!

you have system 1 as well or just getting the plugin?
Old 12th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_expresso View Post
I don't think they're gonna announce the System 8 as soon as you guys would hope. S1 just barely came out really, only on the 3rd plug out. They're just gettin started and testing the waters. I think we'd see at least 2 more plugs, another emulation and maybe a brand new one like they mentioned. Now that the promars is almost here maybe they'll bring the JP4 for the S1, nobody but Roland really knows if the S1 has enough power to run it.

Oh and about american time, we dont do hours/seconds/minutes. It's hour/minute/seconds = 1:40:55 PM
I agree. I think it will be a year or two out at best/if they do it. I think they will. My theory is after the undeserved crap (IMO) they got over the Jupiter 80, combined with the new management, they will release when they get the poly plugs as close to 'real' as the monos are and not until. And TBH, i hope they do. I really want to see a few people eat their words. I am in no way anti-analog. Love the sound. But Roland has advanced digital considerably and I want to see them continue. That said, if a "real" J8 ever gets produced again and I can afford it, I'm there as well.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
[*] Purchased[*] Downloading ....

Excitement
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
yeh just got the email!

you have system 1 as well or just getting the plugin?
Yeah I have the System 1 too. This Promars is f**kin dope, sounds so damn beefy. Only been on it for like 10 minutes making bass sounds. Gonna be using the Promars in a lot of productions I think, has it's own flavor from the 101, sh2 and my microbrute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normie View Post
I agree. I think it will be a year or two out at best/if they do it. I think they will. My theory is after the undeserved crap (IMO) they got over the Jupiter 80, combined with the new management, they will release when they get the poly plugs as close to 'real' as the monos are and not until. And TBH, i hope they do. I really want to see a few people eat their words. I am in no way anti-analog. Love the sound. But Roland has advanced digital considerably and I want to see them continue. That said, if a "real" J8 ever gets produced again and I can afford it, I'm there as well.
Yeah I like what Roland is doing at the moment, I'd rather see them get the poly emus top notch instead of rushed. A J8 would def be cool to see in the future, especially since I wont be so broke then.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Original 1979 presets are in List->Preset4 patches 39 to 48 - WOW!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_expresso View Post
Yeah I have the System 1 too. This Promars is f**kin dope, sounds so damn beefy. Only been on it for like 10 minutes making bass sounds. Gonna be using the Promars in a lot of productions I think, has it's own flavor from the 101, sh2 and my microbrute.

Yeah I like what Roland is doing at the moment, I'd rather see them get the poly emus top notch instead of rushed. A J8 would def be cool to see in the future, especially since I wont be so broke then.
Right now I'm more than set for synths. Integra, Arturia V4 and a TX81Z, so I don't 'need' the SH2/ProMars. I would not mind having them and a Sys 1, but I'm happy with the mono sounds I have now. And my I7 will hold me just fine for poly for a long, long while.

But a Sys 8 with the Juno 60/Jupiter 8 plugouts, should they materialize, will be instabuy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
How times change. Check out the internet archive for old VSE pages where they officially savage the Jupiter-4 an ProMars based on their 'organ topper' looks -- and then extend that sentiment to their sound.
<Flame suit on and ready to dash> I'd have been one of them ... still remember trying out a Jp-4 when it first came out and being very underwhelmed by it compared to the competition, but it's a memory from long ago and I'm loving the new Roland plug outs, so I won't be a thorn in anyone's side and I'm runiiing awaaaaay nooow .....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normie View Post
But a Sys 8 with the Juno 60/Jupiter 8 plugouts, should they materialize, will be instabuy.
If done well this would be the break thru for this technology and lead to Roland world-domination!
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The pro mars is essentially a monophonic jupiter4 for the most part right? the development of this is probably really going to aid in the inevitable Jupiter4 on the system-2 or whatever..... It really sounds like 80's Doctor Who to me, in not a bad way.....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
The pro mars is essentially a monophonic jupiter4 for the most part right? the development of this is probably really going to aid in the inevitable Jupiter4 on the system-2 or whatever..... It really sounds like 80's Doctor Who to me, in not a bad way.....
no, not really as the jupiter 4 only has 1 osc whereas the promars has 2.

see pic below

Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
+quite unique sub oscillator per oscillator (making it 2 sub oscillators).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
+quite unique sub oscillator per oscillator (making it 2 sub oscillators).
gotcha, after my comment, did my research, ... seems like this should make some big lowend....., so since it's duophonic, is it capable of creating that great Oddyssey type beating frequencies etc? or does it only adhere to one note depressed at a time...
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
It doesn't have a ring modulator so no to Oddy-style clangurous mess.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It doesn't have a ring modulator so no to Oddy-style clangurous mess.
ah, did not notice that, thanks…. one of my favorite features of the odyssey, I know, cheap and easy cool chaos…. none of the jupiters had ring mod right? I know arturia added it to the emulation….. hmm… fuzzy on it, sad, or old age…. having used the 4/6/8…...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm not liking this one so much. It sounds great but needs to be polyphonic to be much use. It feels very limited, much like the original.

So far my favourite is the System 1 itself. It sits above my 106 and provides an equally brilliant but completely different tone.
Old 13th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinho View Post
I'm not liking this one so much. It sounds great but needs to be polyphonic to be much use. It feels very limited, much like the original.

So far my favourite is the System 1 itself. It sits above my 106 and provides an equally brilliant but completely different tone.
But then it wouldn't be an accurate emulation of the original if the plugin was poly!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
But then it wouldn't be an accurate emulation of the original if the plugin was poly!
Yeah i know that - it's just not as good as the System 1 or other 2 Plug Outs. Those oscillators need more voices for me - yeah like a Jupiter.

I'd love to see another original synth using ACB tech. The System 1 is fantastic.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinho View Post
Yeah i know that - it's just not as good as the System 1 or other 2 Plug Outs. Those oscillators need more voices for me - yeah like a Jupiter.

I'd love to see another original synth using ACB tech. The System 1 is fantastic.
This makes me mile broadly. Remember the threads not so very long ago when half of GS had their expert panties in a bunch about the death of Roland, the suckage of the S1/ACB tech and how it was just rehashed VA/Supernatural?

Funny how all that died down lately since the 101/SH2 and now this have been put out. Seems with so many feeling these plugs are a VERY close match / faithful emus, all that online/never touched expertise isn't holding a lot of water.

And lets not forget the "Roland will never again make analog!" chants. Oops...

Same thing happened with the J80/I7 thing. and once people wrapped their heads around them and understood the power there and got over the name butthurt/offense to God and his angels, many attitudes here changed. You think people would learn from history.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
way to make it poly, just copy many channels of it and each one play one note of the chord. i know, not the fastest, but still something if you need it.

edit: this stands for every monophonic vst out there.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
way to make it poly, just copy many channels of it and each one play one note of the chord. i know, not the fastest, but still something if you need it.

It's kind of how W. Carlos recorded Switched On Bach back in the day.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post

No shame in multi-tracking at all. I've made a lot of music using only mono synths. Multi-tracking chords and sampling pad/string sounds. No one would ever know.

Mono synths typically have more features than poly synths and often in the case of many classics, better sounding oscillators and filters.

I like the concept of the System1, but still think a four voice VA is dumb. Its totally worthless for pads or strings due to voice stealing which I can't stand to hear. It's a VA...you can't give me 12 or at least 10 voices? C'mon! I know its a small keyboard and all but then why make it a poly at all?

I'm still getting it because I dig the concept and want to support future development.
📝 Reply