The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lo-fi reverb rack units with character?
Old 20th January 2020 | Show parent
  #271
Gear Nut
 
Sabored's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Chiming back in–

I may or may not have bought an Alesis MIDIverb 1, Alesis Wedge, and Roland SRV-2000 all in the past week.

So far all I've got is the SRV-2000, and it is wonderful sounding. However, it's a bit too large to fit in the portable rig I'm building, so I think I'm going to sell my v-verb to clear up a studio rack space (unless someone can convince me otherwise).
Old 21st January 2020 | Show parent
  #272
Lives for gear
 
Lector's Avatar
 
The Dynacord VRS23 is lo-fi in the sense its reverb is a filtered multi-tap ping-pong delay, but it's the cleanest BBD I've heard and still sounds like nothing else.
Old 21st January 2020 | Show parent
  #273
Lives for gear
 
Monotremata's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabored ➡️
Chiming back in–

I may or may not have bought an Alesis MIDIverb 1, Alesis Wedge, and Roland SRV-2000 all in the past week.

So far all I've got is the SRV-2000, and it is wonderful sounding. However, it's a bit too large to fit in the portable rig I'm building, so I think I'm going to sell my v-verb to clear up a studio rack space (unless someone can convince me otherwise).
I can try to convince you to sell me the SRV-2000 if you like?? My SDE-1000 needs his reflective brother in the rack next to him. :D
Old 21st January 2020 | Show parent
  #274
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
I can try to convince you to sell me the SRV-2000 if you like?? My SDE-1000 needs his reflective brother in the rack next to him. :D
I think the DEP-5 is the one to get unless you really need those "further level" early reflections parameters.
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
  #275
Lives for gear
 
Monotremata's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➡️
I think the DEP-5 is the one to get unless you really need those "further level" early reflections parameters.
Go figure a couple SRVs finally popped up on Reverb but Im outta space now. I scored a Furman RV-1 last week for $150 and it just showed up today. I am waaaaaay good on reverbs after hooking that thing up for now hah!
Old 22nd January 2020
  #276
Deleted 46a808e
Guest
Anyone getting a DEP-5 should be very careful. I bought one 4-5 years ago and apparently they have some kind of mechanical switches in them that are prone to going wrong in transit. Happened to the one I bought and the tech I used at the time - who I don’t use anymore cos I suspected him of being dodgy, btw - couldn’t fix it because the problem had also caused some kind of short further up and had pretty much scrapped it.

Whether he was telling the truth or not I’m not 100% on - but either way I lost something like £60 on that purchase because I couldn’t be bothered going to war with the seller.
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
  #277
Gear Nut
 
Sabored's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
I can try to convince you to sell me the SRV-2000 if you like?? My SDE-1000 needs his reflective brother in the rack next to him. :D
I got mine for $40 from an old German man on Letgo. Feels like I got a steal. Not sure I'm ready to sell it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➡️
I just got the original Midiverb.
Hey, sorry but I only just realized you mentioned buying a Midiverb 1 right before I bumped the thread. How is yours holding up? Do you use it?

The one I bought on reverb was $35 total with shipping&tax, and was listed as-is, working internally but with a fiddly power connector that needs to be held in place to pass signal. I was going to recap and look for either a new mate-n-lok connector for the end of the cable, or just solder directly onto the board. Have you performed any of the mods featured on this website?
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
  #278
Lives for gear
 
fanriffic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lector ➡️
The Dynacord VRS23 is lo-fi in the sense its reverb is a filtered multi-tap ping-pong delay, but it's the cleanest BBD I've heard and still sounds like nothing else.
Yep, totally. I have a few BBD's and it's def the cleanest sounding of my bunch.
On the other hand, I also have Dynacord's earliest BBD (according to some the first ever BBD !), the EC280. It's like a simpler, mono VRS23, also has a reverb setting and that baby is by far the darkest, dreamiest, most lo-fi BBD I've heard, really gorgeous.
Old 22nd January 2020 | Show parent
  #279
Lives for gear
 
Lector's Avatar
 
Didn't know about the EC280. Nice.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 23rd January 2020 | Show parent
  #280
Gear Maniac
 
arkos's Avatar
Zoom 1202 has some serious lofi sounding verbs and just plain weird effects
Old 23rd January 2020 | Show parent
  #281
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabored ➡️
Hey, sorry but I only just realized you mentioned buying a Midiverb 1 right before I bumped the thread. How is yours holding up? Do you use it?
It's in kind of crap condition, but doing alright after I replaced the output jacks.

Quote:
The one I bought on reverb was $35 total with shipping&tax, and was listed as-is, working internally but with a fiddly power connector that needs to be held in place to pass signal. I was going to recap and look for either a new mate-n-lok connector for the end of the cable, or just solder directly onto the board. Have you performed any of the mods featured on this website?
Mine was like $30 as is. A previous owner had replaced the power connector with a 4 pin DIN socket so it could use a Quadraverb power supply. I already have one of those, so that's fine.

I also did do the EPROM mod. It's pretty easy, and nothing bad happens when you switch between banks. I haven't used it all that much, but it has its place. I think it's partly more interesting than the Midiverb II.

Last edited by acreil; 23rd January 2020 at 04:13 AM..
Old 2nd April 2020 | Show parent
  #282
It might sound like Yamaha SPX2000. Its Rev-X and other algos got quite grainy tails, not too dense, with tons of interesting color in them.

I've got one and reviewed it recently, hope it helps a bit:

Old 21st July 2020 | Show parent
  #283
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralform ➡️
+1 for the Zoom racks. I've got a large collection of outboard DSP but the one that nails "lo-fi and quirky" is the Zoom 1201. It can even do shimmer if you route it correctly.
what's the trick there? Is it a case of patching one output back into the second input?
Old 21st July 2020
  #284
Lives for gear
 
lost_the_peace's Avatar
 
I seriously love the FX in the Korg trinity, especially verbs and pitch shifting modulated by the joystick! (Modulate feedback for lofi shimmer).

Is there anything in rack/pedal form with the same era of Korg FX?

(I might get the old kaoss pad out the attic ^^)
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
  #285
Lives for gear
 
lovekrafty's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
After many years of searching I finally tracked down a
Zoom 9200 - these things are pretty rare

but guess what, there were 2 of these for sale on US Ebay
I bought one the other one is here for anyone interested

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-9200-A...81e6%7Ciid%3A1

Rare as hens teeth
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
  #286
Lives for gear
 
clusterchord's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace ➡️
I seriously love the FX in the Korg trinity, especially verbs and pitch shifting modulated by the joystick! (Modulate feedback for lofi shimmer).

Is there anything in rack/pedal form with the same era of Korg FX?
iirc the Korg A serie, the A1/A2/A3 were out arround the time of AI2 serie (01W, 01R/W, 03R/W), and first effect units to come out after that were AM8000 reverb and DL8000.

dont know exact years, but generationally they might be closest to Trinity. however, they are much much more advanced and tweakable and higher fidelity than effect units in Trinity, so tone might not be dead identical. probably better tho.


of the above, i only used A1. incredibly warm units with fantastic synth halls. and ton of other effects and chains.

in the meantime i discovered i love the sound of reverbs on Korg 01/W and WS which are running on 32kHz. so probably the model closest to them in fidelity is A2 at 37.1kHz. the A1 was sort of flagship model and runs at 48kHz and sounded different to me. so i am thinking of trying A2 to test this theory.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #287
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➡️
After many years of searching I finally tracked down a
Zoom 9200 - these things are pretty rare

but guess what, there were 2 of these for sale on US Ebay
I bought one the other one is here for anyone interested

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-9200-A...81e6%7Ciid%3A1

Rare as hens teeth
i‘m looking for those for a long time. read a few good reviews but never found one. how is it? comparable to something lika a pcm70?
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #288
Lives for gear
 
lovekrafty's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid ➡️
i‘m looking for those for a long time. read a few good reviews but never found one. how is it? comparable to something lika a pcm70?
Don't know have not received it yet.
should have it next week, will let you know
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
  #289
I was interested in buying some reverbs with character this year and ended up buying them all, and selling one. I kept the SPX90, SPX900 and Quadraverb. The SPX990 I sold, it was too thin and lacked character in my book.

I made a comparison video for anyone who wants to check out a few diff patches on each one, 5 patches x 3 reverbs. Sound isn't recorded through a phone mic unlike every one I saw until I made mine with a soundcard from the mixer....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py39bK-rA74
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
  #290
Deleted d22f2ee
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscodiscotrain ➡️
I was interested in buying some reverbs with character this year and ended up buying them all, and selling one. I kept the SPX90, SPX900 and Quadraverb. The SPX990 I sold, it was too thin and lacked character in my book.

I made a comparison video for anyone who wants to check out a few diff patches on each one, 5 patches x 3 reverbs. Sound isn't recorded through a phone mic unlike every one I saw until I made mine with a soundcard from the mixer....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py39bK-rA74
I just got the Spx 990 and i agree its a more ' modern ' sound ....i find it is great for certain things but not if i want the colour of the older Spx so now i need an spx90 again as well .
Old 17th November 2020
  #291
I've covered the Yamaha SPX90ii, SPX900 and A3000 here, using all presets with the same drum pattern via a soundcard. You can now pick and choose by listening to all 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfbRL5kKTDA
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
  #292
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom ➡️
Viscount ER-256 simple 9.5" unit but interesting ...

good luck finding one...
I found one, 3 years later!
I thought you’d find it funny, thanks for the recommendation
Old 14th January 2021
  #293
Gear Maniac
I think I will grab a Midiverb II thanks to this thread.

I got a SE-70 that love.

Any knows if Yamaha has any fx machine based on the fx of the FS1R?

I got one for 22 years and never found those fx in any other place.
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
  #294
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akailama ➡️
I think I will grab a Midiverb II thanks to this thread.

I got a SE-70 that love.

Any knows if Yamaha has any fx machine based on the fx of the FS1R?

I got one for 22 years and never found those fx in any other place.
It’s likely that the A4000/5000 have similar effects to the FS1r, perhaps the EX5R too.
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
  #295
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️
It’s likely that the A4000/5000 have similar effects to the FS1r, perhaps the EX5R too.
I've never used the EX series, so I can't speak for those models, but the A series samplers and FS1R definitely have different-sounding reverbs and also might have different-sounding effects, despite sharing many of the same reverb and effect preset names.

The difference in the reverbs is night and day - the FS1R's are smoother, denser, and less metallic, while the A-series reverbs were never useful, at least for me.

I don't remember there being much difference in the modulation effects, but it's been a while since I had an A-series sampler.

If I recall correctly, the FS1R effect algorithms were ported from one (or more ) of Yamaha's O series digital mixers.

No idea where else those reverbs and effects might be found. Maybe the REV500 or ProR3 racks?
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
  #296
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up ➡️
I've never used the EX series, so I can't speak for those models, but the A series samplers and FS1R definitely have different-sounding reverbs and also might have different-sounding effects, despite sharing many of the same reverb and effect preset names.
The EX series should be pretty similar to the A series samplers, other than the FDSP effects. It's basically the same hardware.

Most of Yamaha's onboard effects were never available in standalone effect processors. But a few models have external inputs that can go through the effects (like the MU-80, not that its effects are likely similar to the FS1r).

The FS1r hardware isn't like anything else. The effect IC is the YSS236-F VOP3 (a second one is used for the filters). This was also used in the AN1x (for synthesis, not for effects), and as an auxiliary effect processor in some higher end digital pianos and arranger keyboards (at least the CVP-700, CVP-209, PSR-740, PSR-2000, PSR-2100 and PSR-9000; some of these should have external inputs), but that's it. So there aren't really a lot of obvious connections to other models.

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the FS1R effect algorithms were ported from one (or more ) of Yamaha's O series digital mixers.
The effects in the O series mixers are probably closer to the REV500.

Quote:
No idea where else those reverbs and effects might be found. Maybe the REV500 or ProR3 racks?
I think the REV500 and Pro R3 are basically updated versions of the REV5. My REV5 sounds nice enough, but it's not particularly exciting. You can compare the user manuals to see if the parameters and effect names are similar. And maybe also look at the PSR-740 user manual or something to see if that seems promising.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #297
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Had to sell all my rack gear when I moved for grad school and now I'm in a little studio apartment. Really miss the two ADA rack delays I had. They were mono, but sounded better than any other delay I've ever had. The older reverbs and delays can get more "dreamy" without sounding sparkly or twinkly. You can get a real haunting sound out of em that I haven't had any luck getting out of my TC Electronic Hall of Fame or any plugins.

Hoping to pick up a Boss RRV10 off of craigslist soon and stoked to run my Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Behringer Pro-1 through it.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 145 views: 47890
Avatar for CaptainMarc
CaptainMarc 11th April 2015
replies: 9 views: 6259
Avatar for suchenderxxx
suchenderxxx 3rd October 2014
replies: 173 views: 31244
Avatar for Rabidhamster
Rabidhamster 15th January 2021
replies: 59 views: 3844
Avatar for Cantankerous
Cantankerous 18th November 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump