The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer DeepMind 12
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18751
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
The Ctrlr forum
you do get answers, if you have a specific question, in the right part of the forum.

i haven't heard about this 64 parameters. pretty (d*mn) sure most of the stuff in the Ctrlr library has more than that. what do you mean by 'exported'?
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18752
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
you do get answers, if you have a specific question, in the right part of the forum.

i haven't heard about this 64 parameters. pretty (d*mn) sure most of the stuff in the Ctrlr library has more than that. what do you mean by 'exported'?
I didn't say exported. That was a quote from @ goodweather , on the Ctrlr forum page I linked to.

My problem with the Ctrlr forum has been that I can't log in at all, to ask a question, a lot of the time. I currently see two Captchas, on the login box, and it doesn't work (see attached). I was trying to log in to report spam.

Eventually, I got in today using the verify email address link, which didn't appear to work, but I got an email some time later.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer DeepMind 12-login-blocked-2-captchas.gif  
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18753
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by denist View Post
Hi guys! Small question from a synth noob here ;-)

I have the Deepmind 12D, and I LOVE it. But since day one there is something that confuses me a bit, and I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

https://youtu.be/HQB4M2iyFLA

With some patches I can hear the filter in the background without playing anything, when the volume is pretty high. So nothing triggers the sound, but you can constantly hear it. Even with a default program with no FX or anything when I increase the FREQ + RES. Which means that on some patches the synth is not completely silent when I don't play it.

The filtre is self-oscillating I suppose, but I just wanna check if you guys also have the same behavior on your unit.

Fan speed is low, firmware is up to date and I calibrated the thing.

Thanks a lot!
Isn't that just normal noise? It's seems very normal with analog gear. Almost any synth I own has that noise on the background, especially the vintage gear.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18754
Lives for gear
 
benanderson89's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by denist View Post
Hi guys! Small question from a synth noob here ;-)

I have the Deepmind 12D, and I LOVE it. But since day one there is something that confuses me a bit, and I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

https://youtu.be/HQB4M2iyFLA

With some patches I can hear the filter in the background without playing anything, when the volume is pretty high. So nothing triggers the sound, but you can constantly hear it. Even with a default program with no FX or anything when I increase the FREQ + RES. Which means that on some patches the synth is not completely silent when I don't play it.

The filtre is self-oscillating I suppose, but I just wanna check if you guys also have the same behavior on your unit.

Fan speed is low, firmware is up to date and I calibrated the thing.

Thanks a lot!
You've cranked the resonance and the filter is self oscillating on the latent noise present in the circuits. It's nothing to worry about, especially if you've had to really crank the volume.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18755
Here for the gear
 
Midi controller not working

Got my shiny new Deepmind 12d this morning got everything working except the offical standalone APP.

It connects fine and operates the deepmind 12 fine. But the keyboard isn't (midi controller) both my m-audio oxygene 49 and my akai mk3 mpk mini. They all work in FL studio, Cakewalk and Abelton.

I see both my controllers show up in the settings box but i am conencting via deepmind 12 in and deepmind 12 out.

I have tried changing midi channels and turning the usb and midi thru on. Not having much luck :( I want to be able to play my deepmind 12 without a daw via the midi controller keybaord.

I hope someone can help.

Regards David
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18756
Lives for gear
 
benanderson89's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifics View Post
Got my shiny new Deepmind 12d this morning got everything working except the offical standalone APP.

It connects fine and operates the deepmind 12 fine. But the keyboard isn't (midi controller) both my m-audio oxygene 49 and my akai mk3 mpk mini. They all work in FL studio, Cakewalk and Abelton.

I see both my controllers show up in the settings box but i am conencting via deepmind 12 in and deepmind 12 out.

I have tried changing midi channels and turning the usb and midi thru on. Not having much luck :( I want to be able to play my deepmind 12 without a daw via the midi controller keybaord.

I hope someone can help.

Regards David
In FL Studio, create a new "MIDI out" and give it the same channel as your DM12 and the same port number as the interface used to communicate with the DM12 that gets assigned to it in FL Studio's midi config. Make sure the MIDI out plugin is selected and then start playing on your controller keyboard.

Alternatively, MIDI Out on the keyboard to MIDI In on the DM12 directly.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18757
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
In FL Studio, create a new "MIDI out" and give it the same channel as your DM12 and the same port number as the interface used to communicate with the DM12 that gets assigned to it in FL Studio's midi config. Make sure the MIDI out plugin is selected and then start playing on your controller keyboard.

Alternatively, MIDI Out on the keyboard to MIDI In on the DM12 directly.
Like i already said in my post i have it working in all 3 of my daws. I need it to work in the deepmind 12 standalone program.

Regards
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18758
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifics View Post
Like i already said in my post i have it working in all 3 of my daws. I need it to work in the deepmind 12 standalone program.

Regards
Are you trying to connect a DM12 and a DM12D, or just a DM12D? I'm really not sure, from what you've written.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18759
Here for the gear
 
Yes connected dm12 to dm12 nothing else will connect i think i may have a faulty unit.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18760
Lives for gear
 
benanderson89's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifics View Post
Yes connected dm12 to dm12 nothing else will connect i think i may have a faulty unit.
If the MIDI out of the DM12 works with MIDI in of the 12D then you don't have a faulty unit, just an incorrectly set MIDI chain.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18761
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifics View Post
Yes connected dm12 to dm12 nothing else will connect i think i may have a faulty unit.
You might need to set the DM12D to a different Device ID, in the settings menu, so it doesn't match the DM12.

In the manual, see:

7.3 GLOBAL (Global Menu)
Within the GLOBAL menu there are fve pages:
• CONNECTIVITY - All settings relating to connectivity and communication
with external devices including backup and restore functions.


7.3.1 CONNECTIVITY
In this menu are all the settings relating to connectivity and communication with
external devices, including backing up and restoring programs and data.
1. To navigate the options in the CONNECTIVITY menu, use the BANK/UP or
BANK/DOWN switches.
2. Selected parameters are adjusted using the -/NO or +/YES switches, the
rotary knob or the DATA ENTRY fader. The rotary knob has a click which
allows very accurate control. The fader allows rapid adjustment across the
full range.

DEVICE ID - This is MIDI Device Identifer (ID) which is used to identify the device.
This is important when multiple devices are present in a system, and ensures
that the device in question responds to the system exclusive messages which are
solely for the device in question.
The DEVICE ID can be any number from 1-16.
1. To change the DEVICE ID, make sure that the '<' symbol next to the DEVICE ID
number is highlighted. Then you can either use the -/NO or +/YES switches,
the rotary knob or the DATA ENTRY fader.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18762
Here for the gear
 
Hi I am connecting via usb not midi leads. Have tried to set the midi channels watched over 20 youtube video's and understand midi and how it works. Only found 1 other thread with this same problem ended up being a faulty unit.

Thanks for your help
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18763
Here for the gear
 
Just an update have tried midi in to out and out to in and taken the usb lead out and midi controller still not working with the Deepmind standalone app. But working with ableton, and FL Studio.
Old 5th December 2020
  #18764
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
A few years out from it's release and these are on special at the moment....would this still make for a good purchase? And is there any reason to get the keyboard version over the desktop module?

I've never owned an analog poly before and it seems pretty feature packed/good value for the price.

Last edited by gd18; 5th December 2020 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: additional question
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18765
Here for the gear
 
VCA glitches or working as intended?

Hi all,

I just DeepMind 12 some weeks ago. So far I'm really enjoying the synth. It does what I expect it to do as my first synth, analog at that. I bought it as B-stock from Thomann, so I was kind of prepared to have some issues. I have noticed two oddities that I would appreciate some input on from other users.

The first thing I did when I got it was of course to try to program the patch from Van Halen's Jump (RIP). When I did I thought it would be nice to program in OSC2 so that it comes in gradually when I play the lower notes, as the 49keys don't let me play octaves with my left hand. So I assigned OSC2 lvl to the note number in the mod matrix. At first, it seemed to work quite well, but then I noticed that the OSC2 level is not only affected for the keys being triggered, but also for notes being held. Is this normal? Do your DeepMinds behave the same?

Another thing I noticed is that when I set the decay curve for the envelopes to above 0% (or 127) I get an extra bump in the envelope just before the decay goes into the sustain phase. Could this be a glitch as well?

I've attached audio examples and the sysx for the patch.

Thank you for any input.
Attached Files
File Type: txt jump_lead.txt (291 Bytes, 4 views)

deepmind_osc2_lvl.mp3 (163.9 KB, 1079 views)

deepmind_vca_bug.mp3 (61.1 KB, 1012 views)

Old 5th December 2020
  #18766
Gear Maniac
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 
@ Prolifics
-------------
re the standalone editor app.
i had a bit of an issue with it ..
though i'm just using one dm12-desktop unit ..

don't know if this will help or not ..
however ..

the query :
Behringer DeepMind 12

the solution be in the following post to that link ..


```````````````````````````````````````
`s`
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18767
Lives for gear
 
benanderson89's Avatar
You know when something just clicks and it get's you in that mood to write something? I made a really nice (and offensively cheesy) pitched brass sound with my DM12 today. Play octaves and you've got those classic 16th-triplet/one-shot stabs the 80s loved to abuse.

End result is, naturally, a lot of Italo Disco.



Last edited by benanderson89; 5th December 2020 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Added video
Old 6th December 2020
  #18768
Lives for gear
 
enossified's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Two quick questions:

1. When using "revert to panel" what happens to all the underlying settings in the menus, are they set to a default or not?

2. When automating in a DAW, how well do NRPNs track vs. CCs? What about stepping with CCs?
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18769
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Two quick questions:

1. When using "revert to panel" what happens to all the underlying settings in the menus, are they set to a default or not?

2. When automating in a DAW, how well do NRPNs track vs. CCs? What about stepping with CCs?
According to the manual all settings are set to match the panel. This will be reflected in the menu as well.

Can't answer for the second question completely, but at least when using a midi controller to adjust the pitch of osc2 some stepping can be heard with CC. Depending on the range of adjustment of course. With an octave I can hear the steps.
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18770
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I just noticed that my attack fader doesn't seem to be doing anything. Can change the value with the plugin no problem, but the physical fader seems to not be working.
Anyone have any idea who best to contact? Was just thinking of selling it and fear that i may now take a hit because of that one slider!!
I have kept the thing in one position since i got it...barely touched it!

It does sound great though....i have to say
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18771
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
I just noticed that my attack fader doesn't seem to be doing anything. Can change the value with the plugin no problem, but the physical fader seems to not be working.
Anyone have any idea who best to contact? Was just thinking of selling it and fear that i may now take a hit because of that one slider!!
I have kept the thing in one position since i got it...barely touched it!

It does sound great though....i have to say
Same on initial patches ?

Is it sending midi to the out?

If it has been sat in one position all this time/however long that is I might be of the mind to keep using it to wake it up and get a bit of spray down it

Is it still in warranty? If so set up a ticket at musictribe or head over there to the behringer synth and drums page in fa**book , you'll get attention there too
Old 9th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18772
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Same on initial patches ?

Is it sending midi to the out?

If it has been sat in one position all this time/however long that is I might be of the mind to keep using it to wake it up and get a bit of spray down it

Is it still in warranty? If so set up a ticket at musictribe or head over there to the behringer synth and drums page in fa**book , you'll get attention there too
Hi, thanks so much for your response...it is much appreciated.
Come to think of it...it has been in the same position almost the whole time - as i have been using the plugin to control it.
Will try the things you suggest now.
No warrantee as i bought it used (though in perfect condition)
everything worked wonderfully until recently (and it is just the amp attack control)
I think you might be onto something though...bit of spray. The fader itself moves fine.
Old 10th December 2020
  #18773
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Replies: 18,771 - Unbearingly deep minded thread for Behringer DeepMind
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18774
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
You know when something just clicks and it get's you in that mood to write something? I made a really nice (and offensively cheesy) pitched brass sound with my DM12 today. Play octaves and you've got those classic 16th-triplet/one-shot stabs the 80s loved to abuse.

End result is, naturally, a lot of Italo Disco.


Cheese maybe ... but it’s good cheese.
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18775
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Hi, thanks so much for your response...it is much appreciated.
Come to think of it...it has been in the same position almost the whole time - as i have been using the plugin to control it.
Will try the things you suggest now.
No warrantee as i bought it used (though in perfect condition)
everything worked wonderfully until recently (and it is just the amp attack control)
I think you might be onto something though...bit of spray. The fader itself moves fine.
Well it can't be hardware then if it's just the Amp control as the faders operate all envelopes

Start with init patch whenever bugs are present, gives a. Clean slate and should reset all system settings

Sounds silly but maybe you've set something like catch mode or something and not realised?

Mod matrix? Although mod matrix settings would be specific for the patch so maybe not

Is it on all patches?
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18776
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
I just noticed that my attack fader doesn't seem to be doing anything.
Do you have the latest firmware installed? Jamie's comment about catch mode reminded me that there was a firmware bug where it could fail to pick up, if it was in catch mode. It was to do with being at one of the end values, when the patch was saved.

Turning catch mode off ought to work either way though, if it's currently on.
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18777
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
It'd be nice if Behringer would make their standalone editor a Vst editor. I don't like the options for vst's for the deepmind 12, their standalone editor's great,but no vst support. Anyone know if they plan on adding vst support for it?
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18778
Lives for gear
 
Go a DM12D this week - and not sure its a keeper.

The single main oscillator is more restrictive than I thought it would be. I know there are work arounds using 2 voice unison and pitch shifting, and while both work its not the same.

The control seq was one reason I chose the DM - and having bought a Squarp Pyramid this week as well - thats actually not as high a priority as it was when I was choosing the synth. Im also picking up a Pythion when there back in stock - which also has this kind of feature.

To top it off - I downloaded the editor today and it will not connect to the DM..... DM is connected to my PC. I hear the Bing when I connect, and DeepMind12 comes up as a device in Midi OX so its definitely there. NO idea why it just says "no connection".....

Without that patch management is going to be a nightmare - and loading "purchased" sound banks is also going to be a pain as Ill have to use sysex dumps (via Midi OX0 and I really dont know what im doing there.


DESPERATELY need some help getting this working please, or it will go back next week and Ill grab a DSi Rev 2 instead (FX are not as good, and no control seq BUT proper 2 osc section and it just works).
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18779
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
Go a DM12D this week - and not sure its a keeper.

The single main oscillator is more restrictive than I thought it would be. I know there are work arounds using 2 voice unison and pitch shifting, and while both work its not the same.

The control seq was one reason I chose the DM - and having bought a Squarp Pyramid this week as well - thats actually not as high a priority as it was when I was choosing the synth. Im also picking up a Pythion when there back in stock - which also has this kind of feature.

To top it off - I downloaded the editor today and it will not connect to the DM..... DM is connected to my PC. I hear the Bing when I connect, and DeepMind12 comes up as a device in Midi OX so its definitely there. NO idea why it just says "no connection".....

Without that patch management is going to be a nightmare - and loading "purchased" sound banks is also going to be a pain as Ill have to use sysex dumps (via Midi OX0 and I really dont know what im doing there.


DESPERATELY need some help getting this working please, or it will go back next week and Ill grab a DSi Rev 2 instead (FX are not as good, and no control seq BUT proper 2 osc section and it just works).
It seems turning it off and back on again, while it's cabled up to the PC via USB, may be worth a try:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluekey
Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried them and deleted the app and downloaded it again, always the same result. One Device box switches to none when I click on the other one. Not using a DAW. The previous version worked okay. I'll try it on my other laptop with windows 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Crystals View Post
Happened to me today.With PC on I just turned the DM12 off and on again and it cleared up so I could choose DM in both boxes and then sync.JD
Also, on the Globals menu, there's MIDI-CTRL and USB-CTRL. If you're connecting via USB, it's possible you need USB-CTRL set to NRPN... though I'd expect the app to use sysex, so maybe not.

It's probably worth noting that most things won't work in MIDI-OX at the same time as working with another Windows application. In some cases, MIDI devices aren't given back when software that's using them exits, in which case you may need to reboot the PC before trying to connect to the app, after using something else (e.g. checking it in MIDI-OX).

FWIW, Bome's Send SX works better than MIDI-OX, for sending patches and banks to the DeepMind. I've never got MIDI-OX to do that successfully. Send SX has a simpler user interface too, and is free for non-commercial use:

https://www.bome.com/products/sendsx
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
  #18780
Gear Maniac
 
SawneyBean's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
Go a DM12D this week - and not sure its a keeper.

The single main oscillator is more restrictive than I thought it would be. I know there are work arounds using 2 voice unison and pitch shifting, and while both work its not the same.

The control seq was one reason I chose the DM - and having bought a Squarp Pyramid this week as well - thats actually not as high a priority as it was when I was choosing the synth. Im also picking up a Pythion when there back in stock - which also has this kind of feature.

To top it off - I downloaded the editor today and it will not connect to the DM..... DM is connected to my PC. I hear the Bing when I connect, and DeepMind12 comes up as a device in Midi OX so its definitely there. NO idea why it just says "no connection".....

Without that patch management is going to be a nightmare - and loading "purchased" sound banks is also going to be a pain as Ill have to use sysex dumps (via Midi OX0 and I really dont know what im doing there.


DESPERATELY need some help getting this working please, or it will go back next week and Ill grab a DSi Rev 2 instead (FX are not as good, and no control seq BUT proper 2 osc section and it just works).
1) Don't use a hub
2) Use a USB2 socket on the back of the PC
3) Try a different cable
4) Sometimes windows get confused when connecting USB devices. Simplest way of fixing this is to download IOBit Driver Booster and via the Tools option do a Clean Useless Unplugged Device Data. This treats everything you plugged as a fresh device.

More info here... https://www.iobit.com/en/knowledge-h...indows-104.php
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 222 views: 37042
Avatar for AndyHornBlower
AndyHornBlower 15th May 2020
replies: 4572 views: 390824
Avatar for Deleted b788fee
Deleted b788fee 4th July 2017
replies: 1 views: 2749
Avatar for Roland
Roland 14th May 2017
replies: 9424 views: 1151497
Avatar for busterfriendly
busterfriendly 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump