The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer DeepMind 12
Old 1 week ago
  #18391
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
I'm not sure how I was supposed to get that from "Did you find a way to save banks directly from the App ?", but no, it doesn't let you, AFAIK.

What you can do is add a shortcut to the PHAT12\banks folder, to your desktop.

Open C:\Users\{you}\AppData\Roaming\PHAT12, then right click on the banks folder and choose "Create shortcut".

Rename that shortcut as needed, right click again, choose Cut, then go and paste it on your desktop, with right click and Paste.

For a particular bank instead, you can do the same thing, but with that particular .syx file. The Create Shortcut stage is optional, but Windows can be awkward about putting shortcuts on the desktop. You could also just right click and Copy, then right click and use "Paste shortcut"... in most cases.

I still use Windows 7, so it might be a little different in Windows 10.

If you don't see extensions after a filename (like ".syx"), you have the option of turning that on, in Windows Explorer. In Win7, it's in Tools->Folder options, in any open folder.
Yes, you're right : I wasn't so clear !!
So thank you for your advces. In fact, a shortcut on the desktop is a good and easy-to-use idea. I will do that. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #18392
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
Thank you Mike, I didn't watch your video before. That's an easy way to manage sysex, indeed.

Did you find a way to save banks directly from the App ?

I think a good user guide for this app should be very appreciated !!
You can make a new bank in the editor app.
You can give it a name and will be saved in the Phat12 folder.
Than you can move patches from an existing bank to the new bank and reorder or place patches as you like. One bank on the left window and new bank on the right window and select a patch on the left and patch slot number on the right and click move to right button.
After you are done with creating the new bank you can move it to the synth with copy bank button.
Old 1 week ago
  #18393
Gear Nut
 

Got a question.
When I run Diva and use DCOs to get an idea how the DM should sound they behave in a way that seems to contradict what I've read.
So with dual DCO I set both Osc to saw and disable any sort of modulation or artificial instabilities/inaccuracies like those found in ''trimmers'' tab,
when I listen and also when I look at Divas built in scope the 2 oscillators are clearly running independently of each other.

Is this how the DM will behave aswell?? The behaviour I expected was either no change or increase in amplitiude, if the OSC are derived from the exact same clock.

I was rather hoping to have the more consistent/predictable behaviour of DCOs when buying DM so it will be kind disappointing if that's not actually how they work.
Old 1 week ago
  #18394
Here for the gear
 

Hello,

Perhaps it had already been mentionned (in this case, sorry) but I've find a site where the guy gives a DM12 bank with original Juno-106 sounds.
He explains how he did it and we can freely download it :

http://www.resomonics.co.uk/Products..._Deepmind.html
Old 1 week ago
  #18395
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
Hello,

Perhaps it had already been mentionned (in this case, sorry) but I've find a site where the guy gives a DM12 bank with original Juno-106 sounds.
He explains how he did it and we can freely download it :

http://www.resomonics.co.uk/Products..._Deepmind.html
Yes, he posted about it here recently, but it's definitely worth mentioning again.

They're fun. I've added velocity and some mod matrix stuff to a few of them. Is that wrong?
Old 1 week ago
  #18396
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
Yes, he posted about it here recently, but it's definitely worth mentioning again.

They're fun. I've added velocity and some mod matrix stuff to a few of them. Is that wrong?
Thank you Andy
Old 1 week ago
  #18397
Here for the gear
 

Deepmind12 App on Android : it is perhaps possible (??)

Hello. Basically, the DM App works on IPad and Windows but not on Android. As I don't want to buy an Ipad for this application only, and as an Android Pad is far cheaper, I'm looking for a way to execute the DM App on Android.
For the moment, I'm trying to work with Wine App with is a kind of Windows emulator on Android. It works well but the problem is that the Android storage place doesn't appear and so, I can't access to the Deepmin ...exe.

Is there anyone who succeed in that type of operation (be with Wine or another app) ?

Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
  #18398
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFX View Post
Got a question.
When I run Diva and use DCOs to get an idea how the DM should sound they behave in a way that seems to contradict what I've read.
So with dual DCO I set both Osc to saw and disable any sort of modulation or artificial instabilities/inaccuracies like those found in ''trimmers'' tab,
when I listen and also when I look at Divas built in scope the 2 oscillators are clearly running independently of each other.

Is this how the DM will behave aswell?? The behaviour I expected was either no change or increase in amplitiude, if the OSC are derived from the exact same clock.

I was rather hoping to have the more consistent/predictable behaviour of DCOs when buying DM so it will be kind disappointing if that's not actually how they work.
Just tried Diva and there's definitely some oscillator drift even in DCO and Digital modes, which is a bit strange.

On the DM, two oscillators will phase-lock unless you dial up some oscillator drift and/or Unison detune (if using unison).
Old 5 days ago
  #18399
Here for the gear
 

Two issues

Hello,

I goes on exploring this great synth, and I've found two little issues. I wondered if you've encountered the same.

1°) There is a little free play with the Pitch Wheel, so that without soliciting the spring, on its center place, I can move the wheel a little bit. Moreover its light begins to turn on. On some sounds, depending on the Pitch Bend setting, the pitch begins to move, either up or down. In a studio, its not a big problem, but on stage I can imagine it could be one.

2°) Exploring one sound bank (Analog Audio : Classic Analog), wich is a good one, I've noticed a plopping sound at the begining of some soft pads. Precisely, as they are soft pads, they are not supposed or designed to get this parasitic sound. So I wondered if this issue came from the sound itself or from the DM12.
Then, I tried to get rid of it by testing some settings, like VCA and VCF enveloppes, without modifying the sound itself. Not really succeded.
So, I tried the following :

- Default Program
- Turning OSC 1 and OSC 2 off
- VCF cutoff to 0, Resonance to 0
- VCA and VCF Env sustain to 0
- VCA and VCF velocity to 0
- Increase Volume (on headphones)

At that stage, the DM12 is not supposed to produce any sound ! However, a brief "plop" is clearly audible on each key strike and on each key release, too.

I would like to know if you get the same "plop" in the same configuration ? and if yes, how did you get around this issue ?

Thank you very much.
Old 5 days ago
  #18400
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
Two issues

1°) There is a little free play with the Pitch Wheel, so that without soliciting the spring, on its center place, I can move the wheel a little bit...

2°) Exploring one sound bank (Analog Audio : Classic Analog), wich is a good one, I've noticed a plopping sound at the begining of some soft pads. ...
There is meant to be a small amount of play in the wheels, to avoid noise in taking the readings causing a constant stream of MIDI data being sent. You can affect the amount of play at the last stage of calibrating each wheel - on the Calibration menu, under Global.

Look under CAL PITCH WHEEL, and CAL MOD WHEEL, in the manual.

I haven't noticed the plop, and I don't have those patches. I'll check the default one soon.

It's typically caused by an envelope with an attack or release at or very close to zero. In a soft pad, there might be a square VCA envelope, or one with a sharp attack and long release, relying mostly on the VCF envelope to control the sound level - so you could still try lengthening Attack, Decay and Release for the VCA envelope, if they're very short - press the VCA envelope button, then adjust the sliders, watching the display.

The VCF envelope will still open the VCF with the VCF cut off set to zero, depending on the envelope amount, which is controlled by the VCF ENV fader / slider pot.

Bear in mind that Sustain controls the Sustain level of an envelope, not the maximum level - that's always reached at the end of the Attack.

There might also be some filter bleed, so it never fully closes... which might go away after running the calibration again - after letting it warm up for a while, of course.
Old 5 days ago
  #18401
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
There is meant to be a small amount of play in the wheels, to avoid noise in taking the readings causing a constant stream of MIDI data being sent. You can affect the amount of play at the last stage of calibrating each wheel - on the Calibration menu, under Global.

Look under CAL PITCH WHEEL, and CAL MOD WHEEL, in the manual.
Thank you Andy, it's OK now. I didn't notice this last stage of calibration. That's a good point, thanks a lot.

Concerning the second point, I will take it back, using your advice, and see what will happen.
Old 4 days ago
  #18402
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
Exploring one sound bank (Analog Audio : Classic Analog), wich is a good one, I've noticed a plopping sound at the begining of some soft pads. Precisely, as they are soft pads, they are not supposed or designed to get this parasitic sound
I have that bank. Which sounds are you referring to?
Old 4 days ago
  #18403
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
I have that bank. Which sounds are you referring to?
On Analog Audio Deep Impresion 3 : Sync Sequencer1, or Analog Audio Classic Analog 11 Soft Pad 1. (These are only two examples. Actually, each sound using a 0 Attack Time produces more or less the same unwanted sound.)

Let all settings as they are except : OSC 1 saw and square switch Off and OSC 2 level 0.
Increase the DM12 volume level a little bit. (Take care of you speakers or your hears !!)

With Analog Audio Deep Impresion 14 : Tangerine D.ARP its clearer because after having switched off all sound sources, the arpegiato goes on working with audible noise only.

In order to make this transcient sound disappear, of course we could increase the Enveloppes attack time. On this sound example, I must set it to 67 ! So when I switch on back the OSCs, of course it's not the same sound anymore.

In fact, this problem doen't depend on a specific sound bank -> You can try this :

- Start with a Default Program.
- Set VCA and VCF velocity sensitivity to 0
- switch OSC1 off.
- set polyphony to Unison-12
- Increase DM12 volume as you wish.

As there is no OSC opened and no resonance, no effect used, we can suppose we will hear nothing ! That's not the case. You will hear a big first "Plop" on key strike and a second one on Key Release. (At least, it's the case with my own DM12).

In order to make the release noise disappeared, the Release VCA Enveloppe must be set to a minimum of "25"
In order to make the attack noise disappeared, the Attack VCA Enveloppe must be set to a minimum of "20". Unfortunately, at "20", we loose the real attack sound.

---------------------

So, in a nutshell, as soon as I use a sound with an VCA Attack time from 0 to 20, I can never get the pure sound I want, because there allways be this added noise.
Beyond this approximative limit (about 20), all goes right.

At the moment, I haven't find a good solution to make this VCA noise disappear. It would be great if you could find one !
Old 4 days ago
  #18404
Gear Nut
Just to clarify - you have run the VCA calibration procedure? I quickly switched mine on to check and there was a gentle pop sound, but only really noticeable when I used the headphone output with volume on full. Considering that that’s about 4x comfortable listening volume, not really an issue on my unit.

FWIW the headphone output has its own issues, like interference from the CPU, so I primarily use the L/R balanced outs to my interface.
Old 4 days ago
  #18405
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinedalek View Post
Just to clarify - you have run the VCA calibration procedure? I quickly switched mine on to check and there was a gentle pop sound, but only really noticeable when I used the headphone output with volume on full. Considering that that’s about 4x comfortable listening volume, not really an issue on my unit.

FWIW the headphone output has its own issues, like interference from the CPU, so I primarily use the L/R balanced outs to my interface.
Yes, I performed a new VCA calibration.

The "pop" volume depends on your settings. I can be more or less evident. It happens through L/R outputs too.
Did you follow the Default Program process I mentionned ? Don't forget to use the Unison-12 setting.

This sound is audible from a volume level at about 30%.

You can test it with the factory sound A-5 Hammer Bass KA. Just switch OSC 1 Off and Noise Level to 0 .
Old 4 days ago
  #18406
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
It's typically caused by an envelope with an attack or release at or very close to zero. In a soft pad, there might be a square VCA envelope, or one with a sharp attack and long release, relying mostly on the VCF envelope to control the sound level - so you could still try lengthening Attack, Decay and Release for the VCA envelope, if they're very short - press the VCA envelope button, then adjust the sliders, watching the display.

The VCF envelope will still open the VCF with the VCF cut off set to zero, depending on the envelope amount, which is controlled by the VCF ENV fader / slider pot.

Bear in mind that Sustain controls the Sustain level of an envelope, not the maximum level - that's always reached at the end of the Attack.

There might also be some filter bleed, so it never fully closes... which might go away after running the calibration again - after letting it warm up for a while, of course.
I supposed you've red my lasts posts.
In short, this sound seems to come from VCA only.
If I set its attack time between 1 to 20, it can be heard, beyond, it's unnoticable.
So, for gentle sounds it's Ok, but in case of sound which need short attack, this plop is added to the sound I want to hear.
Old 3 days ago
  #18407
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
- Start with a Default Program.
- Set VCA and VCF velocity sensitivity to 0
- switch OSC1 off.
- set polyphony to Unison-12
- Increase DM12 volume as you wish.

As there is no OSC opened and no resonance, no effect used, we can suppose we will hear nothing ! That's not the case. You will hear a big first "Plop" on key strike and a second one on Key Release. (At least, it's the case with my own DM12).

In order to make the release noise disappeared, the Release VCA Enveloppe must be set to a minimum of "25"
In order to make the attack noise disappeared, the Attack VCA Enveloppe must be set to a minimum of "20". Unfortunately, at "20", we loose the real attack sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
I supposed you've red my lasts posts.
In short, this sound seems to come from VCA only.
If I set its attack time between 1 to 20, it can be heard, beyond, it's unnoticable.
So, for gentle sounds it's Ok, but in case of sound which need short attack, this plop is added to the sound I want to hear.
I have a DeepMind 6, so I can only try it in UNISON-6, but yes, there is a pronounced pop at the beginning of the attack, following those steps from the default patch - mostly on the first note of a phrase, after a short rest.

It still happens even with the VCF Env slider all the way down.

If I play notes within a second or so, it's barely noticeable above a VCA Attack of 6, after the first note, even turned up loud - I just hear some OSC bleed, with a bit of background noise - I'm using the headphones socket.

If I let it sit for a few seconds before playing again, I need to make the attack longer, to not hear the pop on the first note... but it's barely detectable at 10.

The default patch has a release of 128, so I don't hear that, but if I shorten it to less than about 23-25, it's still just about noticeable, at a high volume.

Where I normally have the volume knob is about a third to half way - for headphones, it depends on the phones, of course. At half volume, I can't really make out the attack pop beyond 5, unless I've let it rest for a few seconds - I guess there's a capacitor that keeps charging for a while.

At that level, I can't really detect the release pop, beyond a release value of 7 - and there's just a very small amount of bleed/noise.

If I turn the OSC1 saw on, at half volume, it sounds way too loud into my earbuds, so that's not a level I need it to be at much, unless the filter is taking a lot away.

Turning the volume down to 1/3, if I then set VCA Attack to 4, and VCA Release to 15, they seem fast enough to me, and I definitely wouldn't notice any pop if I wasn't really listening out for it.

If I make the VCA Attack shorter, it starts to sound punchier, but part of that is the pop, I guess.

Envelopes that can start and stop almost instantly tend to do undesirable things (depending on your point of view), if you take them as far as they can go.

It's possible you can reduce it by playing with the volume knob on the synth, and the level on your mixer/amp/recording device - the two are rarely doing quite the same thing.

I'd suggest just tweaking any patch where it bothers you - maybe just aim for an improvement rather than perfection. After a while, it might not bother you any more.
Old 3 days ago
  #18408
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
I have a DeepMind 6, so I can only try it in UNISON-6, but yes, there is a pronounced pop at the beginning of the attack, following those steps from the default patch - mostly on the first note of a phrase, after a short rest.

It still happens even with the VCF Env slider all the way down.

If I play notes within a second or so, it's barely noticeable above a VCA Attack of 6, after the first note, even turned up loud - I just hear some OSC bleed, with a bit of background noise - I'm using the headphones socket.

If I let it sit for a few seconds before playing again, I need to make the attack longer, to not hear the pop on the first note... but it's barely detectable at 10.

The default patch has a release of 128, so I don't hear that, but if I shorten it to less than about 23-25, it's still just about noticeable, at a high volume.

Where I normally have the volume knob is about a third to half way - for headphones, it depends on the phones, of course. At half volume, I can't really make out the attack pop beyond 5, unless I've let it rest for a few seconds - I guess there's a capacitor that keeps charging for a while.

At that level, I can't really detect the release pop, beyond a release value of 7 - and there's just a very small amount of bleed/noise.

If I turn the OSC1 saw on, at half volume, it sounds way too loud into my earbuds, so that's not a level I need it to be at much, unless the filter is taking a lot away.

Turning the volume down to 1/3, if I then set VCA Attack to 4, and VCA Release to 15, they seem fast enough to me, and I definitely wouldn't notice any pop if I wasn't really listening out for it.

If I make the VCA Attack shorter, it starts to sound punchier, but part of that is the pop, I guess.

Envelopes that can start and stop almost instantly tend to do undesirable things (depending on your point of view), if you take them as far as they can go.

It's possible you can reduce it by playing with the volume knob on the synth, and the level on your mixer/amp/recording device - the two are rarely doing quite the same thing.

I'd suggest just tweaking any patch where it bothers you - maybe just aim for an improvement rather than perfection. After a while, it might not bother you any more.

Thank you very much Andy, for this long and accurate answer. It reassures me to see that my Deepmind is not the only one to generate this kind of noise.

You are right : Now, I must take it into account and set the DM according to this. Either I use it as making part of the sound, or I try to attenuate it.

Thanks again.
Old 3 days ago
  #18409
Lives for gear
You're welcome, liviou2004.

I bet not too many people will read my answer all the way through... I can't say I blame them

I like the envelopes on the DeepMind, on the whole. I haven't used the curves much yet, but that's a good feature. Mostly, I like being able to make parts of the envelope velocity sensitive, using the MOD matrix. A lot of synths can't do that.
Old 3 days ago
  #18410
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
You're welcome, liviou2004.

I bet not too many people will read my answer all the way through... I can't say I blame them

I like the envelopes on the DeepMind, on the whole. I haven't used the curves much yet, but that's a good feature. Mostly, I like being able to make parts of the envelope velocity sensitive, using the MOD matrix. A lot of synths can't do that.
Yes, and I wonder how many people noticed this little point about VCA envolope. Not too much, to my opinion.

That being said, this "little" synth, is a big one with huge possibilies.
Old 3 days ago
  #18411
Gear Nut
Actually, while we’re discussing the VCA, would anyone be able to see if they can replicate this little oddity that my unit has?

Thanks!
Old 2 days ago
  #18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
With Analog Audio Deep Impresion 14 : Tangerine D.ARP its clearer because after having switched off all sound sources, the arpegiato goes on working with audible noise only.
That's a really good example. I think you have a good ear. I'm not sure if the noise level of your DM is higher than some other units. This popping hasn't bothered me on sounds I've been using, though I don't play soft pads, too often. There is a bit of noise that runs through the outputs and you are hearing effect of the attack of that.

On the plus side, this is giving me some sound design ideas, as you can effect and filter this noise, especially with the arp. FX can certainly amplify it, but the filter resonance can make this pretty cool "radio interference" type of sound. Interesting.
Old 2 days ago
  #18413
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
That's a really good example. I think you have a good ear. I'm not sure if the noise level of your DM is higher than some other units. This popping hasn't bothered me on sounds I've been using, though I don't play soft pads, too often. There is a bit of noise that runs through the outputs and you are hearing effect of the attack of that.

On the plus side, this is giving me some sound design ideas, as you can effect and filter this noise, especially with the arp. FX can certainly amplify it, but the filter resonance can make this pretty cool "radio interference" type of sound. Interesting.
Thank you Mike.
I have no other Deepmind to compare with. But yes, I've been doing sound design for quite a long ! So, it's quite easy to distinguish the different sounds components.
In that case, I've heard that this "plop" is not really a part of the created sound.
At the very beginning, two weeks ago, I didn't pay attention to it.

I agree with you, let's see the positive side of it !

Sometimes it can enhance the original attack of the sound. We can hear it with some Bass sounds.
Sometimes, with soft and slow sounds, we just have to increase the VCA Attack Time, it wouldn't be a problem.

But other times, there are some sounds between the both, wich are quite soft but need a brief attack time. In that cases, I have not yet found an adequate solution to solve the issue.
Old 2 days ago
  #18414
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinedalek View Post
Actually, while we’re discussing the VCA, would anyone be able to see if they can replicate this little oddity that my unit has?

Thanks!
Very interesting, indeed. I can't figure out why the fact that you increase the global VCA gain has

Could you try the following :

1- Kepping the same config and increase VCA release time (jsut a bit) and see what happens

2- Increase the time between each note and see if you get the same issue.

3- 1 and 2 together.

4- Modifying the Polyphony options (Poly, Unison)

Its a good thing to use an oscilloscope as you did.
Old 2 days ago
  #18415
Here for the gear
 

Modulation Sources 22,23,24 : what for ?

Hello,

I'm not sure to understand the purpose of these three modulation sources :

Quote:
22 CC X (115) Continuous Controller X-Axis (115)
23 CC Y (116) Continuous Controller Y-Axis (116)
24 CC Z (117) Continuous Controller Z-Axis (117)
To what DM12 controller these modulation sources are matching ? As there are three axes, it should be a 3D controler ?
If it's a MIDI external controler, it would come from an external device, so there's no need to add in internal modulation sources, as the CC can be directly sent from external device.

For example, suppose I want to move VCF Cutoff. Why should I use CC X in the MOD MATRIX to assign it to VCF Cutoff, while I could send the proper MIDI CC directly to VCF Cutoff. Moreover, it could take place of one of the 8 possible modulation sources.

There is something I don't undestand here. Could you explain, please ?

Thank you.
Old 2 days ago
  #18416
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew 71 View Post
Just wondering about better preset management than the Behringer software?

I've just bought the MajorOSC Pulse Duo set. I have 4 banks (A-C, H) already filled with non-factory presets, and while I've been loading with MidiOX (Win10), there doesn't seem to be a way to specify the target patch bank.
...

Are there any workarounds or third-party software that people use to do this librarian task?

Cheers
Stew
I haven't tried it yet, but this looks promising:

http://www.riccardosantato.net/idee-...2d-sysex-files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo Santato, on that page

DeepChanger: a tool for manipulating DeepMind 6/12/12D SysEx files
...
the tool is able to:

change the original destination of a program
change the original destination of an entire bank
take out a single program from a specified bank
split an entire bank into single programs
create a list of the programs written inside a bank

The program is available for MacOS, Windows and Linux operative system, both in 32bit and 64bit versions: it doesn’t need an installer so it’s a portable application.
It’s free and it will always be but a donation is truly well accepted.
Old 2 days ago
  #18417
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviou2004 View Post
Modulation Sources 22,23,24 : what for ?

Hello,

I'm not sure to understand the purpose of these three modulation sources :



To what DM12 controller these modulation sources are matching ? As there are three axes, it should be a 3D controler ?
If it's a MIDI external controler, it would come from an external device, so there's no need to add in internal modulation sources, as the CC can be directly sent from external device.

For example, suppose I want to move VCF Cutoff. Why should I use CC X in the MOD MATRIX to assign it to VCF Cutoff, while I could send the proper MIDI CC directly to VCF Cutoff. Moreover, it could take place of one of the 8 possible modulation sources.

There is something I don't undestand here. Could you explain, please ?

Thank you.
The X, Y, Z thing is interesting, and I don't know what that does either.

The reason you might want to use a CC to control a mod matrix slot is so that you can change more than one thing at once, with one CC - by having more than one slot controlled by it.

One thing I keep meaning to try is playing the DeepMind with a wind controller (e.g. my Yamaha WX5). Wind controller patches tend to work by changing a few things at once with the Breath CC (CC02), or sometimes a different CC, but usually mostly one.

Typically, a wind controller can only put out one main CC controlled by how hard you blow, and Note On/Off. It might also be able to put out pitch bend, and maybe another CC or two worked from buttons or levers, but there's one main one.

A useful wind controller patch really needs a mod matrix to work. You'd normally want to at least change the filter cut off, by how hard you blow, but being able to simultaneously change other things, like a small change in resonance, maybe changing the waveform a little and usually the total level, works better.

You can do the same with the mod wheel or CC01, of course - make a few mod matrix entries that are affected by it, then send MOD (CC01) from the mod wheel or the one on an external keyboard or a knob on a MIDI controller.

If you sent three or four separate CCs to do that, there would be more MIDI traffic, and you might need extra hands to work all the knobs...

And, finally, a mod matrix slot also lets you say how much the destination is affected by the CC that you specify to control it, and in which direction.

That can be useful because you might want your physical control to only affect the cut off (for example) by a small amount when you move it full travel, or you might want it to reduce the cut off when you move the control in the direction that increases the value it sends - e.g. you might want to make the MOD wheel decrease the cut off level instead of increasing it, and you might not want it to close the filter all together, just reduce the cut off a bit.
Old 2 days ago
  #18418
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but this looks promising:

http://www.riccardosantato.net/idee-...2d-sysex-files
Why are you not using the Deepmind App and its PHAT12 folder for prehearing patches and moving/copying them between banks?

I recently bought the Pulse Duo banks from MajorOSC.
I only copied the two sysex-files to the PHAT12 folder.
Then I opened the Deepmind App and the two new banks appeared in the Preset Banks list on the Preset Manager tab.
There I can prehear all the patches per double click and move/copy the patches to another/new bank as I like.

Don't know what more I need.
Old 2 days ago
  #18419
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
Why are you not using the Deepmind App and its PHAT12 folder for prehearing patches and moving/copying them between banks?
stew 71's question was about alternatives, and that was an answer to that question.

However, I'm not particularly fond of the app. It's too easy to trash patches with it by mistake; I don't find it intuitive to use, there's no undo, and so far, the only instructions I've found were here - mostly by scoopicman.

Personally, I dump the current patch from the edit buffer, witth Bome's SendSX, and load / send it back the same way, so I can save it to any slot I want.

If I wanted to load in a bank of patches, especially if it was to somewhere else than where it was saved from, the app would not be my first choice... at least until I'd explored all other alternatives.
Old 2 days ago
  #18420
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
stew 71's question was about alternatives, and that was an answer to that question.
Ah, ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
However, I'm not particularly fond of the app. It's too easy to trash patches with it by mistake; I don't find it intuitive to use, there's no undo, and so far, the only instructions I've found were here - mostly by scoopicman.

Personally, I dump the current patch from the edit buffer, witth Bome's SendSX, and load / send it back the same way, so I can save it to any slot I want.

If I wanted to load in a bank of patches, especially if it was to somewhere else than where it was saved from, the app would not be my first choice... at least until I'd explored all other alternatives.
I don't know if you understand my workflow.

I don't load a new purchased bank to the synth instead only into the DeepMind App. From there I can preload (double click, not save to synth!) any patch I'm interested in into the edit buffer of the synth and prehear it without the need of backing anything up from the synth. I also then arrange liked patches to different own banks in the App.

The last step in the App is to arrange a bank out of all patches of all banks which is then transferred to a chosen bank on the DeepMind.

best regards
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump