The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer DeepMind 12
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncjerry View Post
Voice 9 dropped out and came back. This is diving me crazy. I'm calling Behringer tomorrow to see if I can get someone in tech support or customer service. I'm not a great keyboard player and have all kinds of tremors and neurological problems related to Parkinson's I have to battle so a missed note every now and then is the lest of my problems but this is the third unit I've had. Granted, the first two were repackaged but still, what gives?

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the trouble, however we are not aware of such a problem.

Could you please share with us the serial numbers of your devices and place of purchase.

We’re here to help.

Uli
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

An accidentally created MIDI loop can cause the DM12 to freak out and become erratic. So that might be worth investigating. Sometimes it’s the simplest thing that is causing trouble.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the trouble, however we are not aware of such a problem.

Could you please share with us the serial numbers of your devices and place of purchase.

We’re here to help.

Uli
I sent the serial number in on the Behringer tech support site and will post it as an edit tomorrow. I bought the first two from Guitar Center in San Mateo, Ca. The first was a deepmind and that had voice 4 problems until V4 ultimately failed completely. V4 started sounding frequency limited before failing. The second unit was a DM12D. That had random voice failures that seemed to correct themselves by playing another key. If I pressed c3, for instance, and it was dead, sequentially pressing c3 as it looped through the voices would then give 11 correct tones and every time it came around to the failed voice, it would be quiet. Then pressing c4 and looping around it would start working. This happened about 10 times over two weeks until I returned it. I then bought the latest from Amazon but they only fulfilled from a company called TinMusic. That has failed on V5, V6 and V9. I don't think I have a midi loop but would have to think about it. Usually a midi loop shows up as double voice triggers. When it failed today I pulled the midi from another keyboard that was plugged into the midi port when it failed and that didn't fix it. I still had the computer plugged in though but I wasn't seeing double triggers or hearing extra reverb.

Thanks for bringing here. I'm not having great luck.

Jerry

Last edited by cncjerry; 6 days ago at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I sent the serial number in on the Behringer tech support site and will post it as an edit tomorrow.
It's probably best to put it in a new post - that way Uli should see a notification from the forum.

Quote:
I still had the computer plugged in though but I wasn't seeing double triggers or hearing extra reverb.
Checking whether it still does it when it's used without any MIDI connections (including USB) seems like a good idea.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
We’re here to help.

Uli
It's nice to see you're still looking at this forum, Uli.

Are you aware of the problems with getting Decksaver covers made for the DeepMind 6 and DeepMind 12 / 12D?

A couple of us have asked if there will be covers made for them. The last I heard from them was some months ago, when they said they were still trying to arrange loan stock, from Behringer.

They're not a large company - certainly not compared to yours - so they can't afford to buy synths to use as a template. They have to have them loaned to them by the manufacturer.

They don't need to be working ones, of course - DOA customer returns would do just as well.

I have Decksaver covers for three Yamaha Refaces, and an Arturia Minibrute. They're made of polycarbonate, so they're very durable. They make me feel a lot more confident about moving the synths around, and I've dropped things on the covers a couple of times, that would at least have left marks, so they've been worth the money.

I've mentioned before that when I look into buying a synth, I see whether there's a Decksaver available first - so the existence of one helps a manufacturer sell more synths.

Please have someone get in touch with them, and try to arrange samples for them to measure from. They've always replied to me quickly.

FWIW, their home page mentions releases of 14 new covers. Unfortunately, none of them are for Behringer synths. They do have three covers for the X32 range though:

https://www.decksaver.com/covers/brand/behringer-20

I am not affilliated in any way (yada yada). I would like to be able to buy a Decksaver for my DeepMind 6 though, preferably before I scratch or dent it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
I am not affilliated in any way (yada yada). I would like to be able to buy a Decksaver for my DeepMind 6 though, preferably before I scratch or dent it.
maybe contacting Decksaver is the better idea in this case ?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soulcatcher View Post
maybe contacting Decksaver is the better idea in this case ?
See the rest of my post - I already had that conversation with Decksaver. I'm not the only one who asked them, either.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
See the rest of my post - I already had that conversation with Decksaver. I'm not the only one who asked them, either.
oops- soz - did overread that part.
Good luck anyway
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Here's the serial for my missing voice problem: s170509286ac5 with lower case for clarity.

When I enter this on the Behringer tech site I had entered: s1705092860c5 for some reason - 0C5 instead of AC5 on the end.

This morning I played it for a while and then added a midi loop by plugging the in/out together. No failures. I also have the Deepmind 12 application running on a PC, a Microsoft Surface to be exact.

I know the CPU board plugs down on the voice board. I wonder if it is loose on this unit and the previous DM12D? The first unit clearly had a failure in just one voice whereas these two units are randomly dropping voices. BY the way, this one dropped V5, V6 and V9 all within about 6 hours of use. When it fails again I'll pull everything except the L/R output. By the way, when it fails, the voice lights.

Jerry
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Uli, voice 3 just dropped out. While holding it down (the patch has sustain) and trying to get my video working in the other hand, it came back at the sustain level. The system is triggering because the light comes on. So unless there is a software fix, I guess this one is going back.

The weird thing is that this unit sounds much better than the other two with the same audio output using B&W MM1 desktop speakers, shielded patch cords, etc. I ran a calibration earlier today and the voices all passed.

This sucks. It took me almost a year to make a decision on another synth and this fits my interests perfectly.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help

Jerry
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Uli, voice 3 just dropped out. While holding it down (the patch has sustain) and trying to get my video working in the other hand, it came back at the sustain level. The system is triggering because the light comes on. So unless there is a software fix, I guess this one is going back.

The weird thing is that this unit sounds much better than the other two with the same audio output using B&W MM1 desktop speakers, shielded patch cords, etc. I ran a calibration earlier today and the voices all passed.

This sucks. It took me almost a year to make a decision on another synth and this fits my interests perfectly.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help

Jerry
I suggest you drop me a PM with your contact details so we can get you help.

Cheers

Uli
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Sent, thanks
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I received a call from Jeffrey Ford at Behringer this morning and he suggested the issue is related to osc1 and osc2 being 180 degrees out of phase, canceling each other, on occasion which makes sense. Last night I had found the key down reset parameter in playing around, had set it and in trying to recreate the problem this morning, I was unable to do so. This is the same fix Jeffery suggested and I'll give it work-out this weekend. I'll post the exact setting.

Thanks for the great personal support, Uli.

Jerry

Edit: key down reset is off on many patches and is found in the osc1/osc2 edit menu. More testing and no failures...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I received a call from Jeffrey Ford at Behringer this morning and he suggested the issue is related to osc1 and osc2 being 180 degrees out of phase, canceling each other, on occasion which makes sense. Last night I had found the key down reset parameter in playing around, had set it and in trying to recreate the problem this morning, I was unable to do so. This is the same fix Jeffery suggested and I'll give it work-out this weekend. I'll post the exact setting.

Thanks for the great personal support, Uli.

Jerry

Edit: key down reset is off on many patches and is found in the osc1/osc2 edit menu. More testing and no failures...
If thats the problem, wouldn't the canceling only just happen on patches with osc 1 set to pulse wave only and activated osc 2 at same range and exact same, unmodulated pitch? That shouldn't affect many patches...
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

As mentioned earlier, I returned my Deepmind 6 for a 12 (realised I really wanted those extra voices, and I’m so glad I did).....

What a synth. Reminds me very much of the Juno 60 I had 20 years ago, very much in the same ballpark. The onboard chorus can be tweaked to get it into very similar territory...... but - it has 12 voices! A massive advantage as voice stealing is basically eliminated.

And onboard FX. For me, this is a big plus as I can set FX up per patch, which is great for live use and much easier than fiddling around with outboard gear or pedals.

Unison-2 mode with some detune gets me very much into Jupiter 8 territory, so I can get those brass and string patches, pads, etc. Certainly sounds close to me. Add some drift and it mimics VCOs pretty well (as confirmed by my oscilloscope).

Build quality is really solid. Can’t really understand the naysayers, especially comparing it to the plastic stuff Roland puts out now. It feels very substantial and solid.

I was worried about menu diving, but it’s about as easy as a fairly complex subtractive synth is ever going to be, and because of all the edit buttons you’re only ever in 2 or 3 screens at a time. Honestly, it’s absolutely fine.

Also somehow much more handsome in the flesh than in photos, too.

The presets are starting to grow on me a little, but because they’re so FX heavy, they don’t show off the underlying analogue ‘character’ as much as they might. Easy enough to dial in those sounds though - just Google the Juno and Jupiter factory patch sheets for a quick way in.

BTW, I originally bought a Minilogue, which I returned for the Deepmind 6 (now returned for the 12, shop must hate me). The Deepmind is for my uses streets ahead of the Minilogue. The Minilogue is a fine synth, but the Deepmind is so much more.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
If thats the problem, wouldn't the canceling only just happen on patches with osc 1 set to pulse wave only and activated osc 2 at same range and exact same, unmodulated pitch? That shouldn't affect many patches...
The more I think about this the more I wonder what's really going on. It hasn't failed on that patch since I flipped that key down parameter to on but when it failed last, I pushed and pulled every control and that voice still was quiet. So something somehow related to phase might be going on but analog oscillators, even digitally controlled, couldn't stay out of phase like that very long without a phase detector acting like a PLL.

I have to get it to fail again if possible.

One other question, is there a felt strip under the keys? I have one or two that clack when they are pressed down to the bed, not when released like that known bed adjustmemt. It's no big deal.

I changed my monitors to B&W 805s with a sub. This thing sounds just unbelievably good through this setup. One or two patches sound a little overdriven.

And I have the ios app running on an old ipad. I wish the android app was available because the more open platform would enable me to move my custom banks over. I don't know if I can do that with the IOS app. I moved away from using my MS surface as it was overkill for the app.

Lastly, I wish the compare function had an option to accept the sliders as-is. For instance, quickly slide them +/- 10 units to the comparison value, press compare and hold, and the CPU would then keep an offset for each setting. This would speed up the compare function by a factor.

Jerry
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
So something somehow related to phase might be going on but analog oscillators, even digitally controlled, couldn't stay out of phase like that very long without a phase detector acting like a PLL.

Jerry
I've read that OSC2 is derived from OSC1, in some way, and is not an independent oscillator.

It's hard to picture that, since it can be tuned to an arbitrary interval from OSC1, but I guess you've shown that it is the case.

If you picture it as a form of soft sync, that sort of explains it.

Maybe there's a granularity to the relative tuning too? I.e. maybe it can only be tuned at certain intervals, but there are a lot of them, very close together.

It seems you've shown they can reliably be set to stay tuned to exactly the same frequency, and if they are, they stay perfectly synced. That makes sense for on oscillator that's somehow derived from another one (e.g. like an octave down sub, based on dividing a square wave, with a flip flop), but would be harder to explain if they were independent oscillators.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Andy, Thanks for the reply. I have to think this through. For instance, if osc2 is derived from osc1, then what is the purpose of the sync button? I just reread that section and it sounds like they're independent oscillators:

"The OSC1 pitch is set by the keys you play, and the OSC2 pitch may be tuned to (or detuned from) this frequency." and then it goes on to talk about re-triggering OSC2. It reads like they are independent oscillators that can be synced together.

So the more I think about it, I find it hard to believe it is a continuous phase issue where they are 180 degrees out and canceling. But I did notice that when it happened, you can barely hear the proper tone which support the phase argument. At this point, my wife would say I am talking out of both sides of my mouth.

There is something going on with those electric piano patches like TineEP2, DeEp1, DeEp2, etc. They are the only ones I was playing with when it failed. It could be a combination of hardware and software, heck, this thing is pretty complex all things considered. I don't know if you ever tried to program a microprocessor or DSP with all this modulation matrix complexity, etc. but I am amazed how well it works without pages of bugs. My hat's off to them as this is a fairly well performing unit from the programming and hardware/software integration standpoint. I can't figure out how they squeezed all those effects down into what looks like one DSP chip. Plus the mod matrix, all the controls for the FXs, all the midi and CV like stuff, the envelopes, etc. If this is the only bug, I would be absolutely amazed.

I'm a time-nut. We measure time and frequency to a ridiculous degree, less than 1 part in 10-12 or 10-13th. Some people in the group are pushing even more digits so I know something about oscillators and frequency, etc. We use scopes with X/Y displays and 12 digit frequency counters locked to a Cesium beam or other reference to measure frequency to a high degree. Even with all that gear, and I have racks of it, keeping two independent oscillators perfectly out of phase would be tough. A single oscillator, yes, easy with an inverter and summing circuit. I know I can do it but it would require some type of PLL circuit with a phase detector to keep it stable for a period of time like I've had when it failed for maybe two or three minutes.

That's all I'm going to add to this issue because it detracts from the synth and people that hate will just use this as another reason to not buy one. I received excellent support, what they say makes sense, it seems to have fixed my problem, and I'm back to having fun.

Jerry
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Andy, Thanks for the reply. I have to think this through. For instance, if osc2 is derived from osc1, then what is the purpose of the sync button?
I haven't used that button much, but I think it does hard sync - so one cycle of one waveform is cut short, at the start of a cycle of the other (e.g., on a rising edge). In some cases, it might be every other cycle. That sort of sync adds more harmonic content, by basically mangling one waveform - the oscillator is reset, and starts it's cycle again, prematurely.

I think there are a few different sorts of soft sync, but one type would be adjusting the frequency of one oscillator, until there was a match between the start of a cycle in one, and the start of a cycle in the other - e.g. making n cycles of OSC2 match m cycles of OSC1... like a PLL.

It seems quite reasonable to assume that OSC2 is done with a PLL, though there's clearly more to it, because of the tone mod thing.

But, yes, if it was independent, there's no way you'd get the two to cancel each other out for a minute or more at a time.

I know what you mean about fuelling people finding reasons not to like it. I think they're going to find reasons anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I haven't written any DSP software, though I may build up to that. I've been learning a bit about STM32F4 programming (which has some DSP built in), and I've hacked a couple of projects written by other people - though so far, mostly the user inferface, not the nitty gritty. One day, etc...

I'd like to have a go at FPGA programming too, but I haven't found any interesting projects to start from, yet, and starting from scratch could take a long time.

Your time and frequency measuring thing sounds interesting. Since observation affects results, maybe if you can measure time accurately enough, you can tell it what to do
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Another deepmind 6 and 12 high pitched hum / noise in headphone jack

This has been listed on here before and on several different sites and I want to add my frustration with it. I purchased a refurbished Deepmind 6 in January from the MusicTribe (Behringer) site on eBay. When it arrived all was great except for a very unpleasant high pitched noise coming through the headphone jack. I tried plugging the unit into other power jacks in my house and it was still there. I had everything unplugged from the unit (cables, usb, etc.) and it was still there. Turned the fan off and it was still there. I had the volume knob all the way down and it was still there. Tried 3 different headphones and it was still there. I got in touch with MusicTribe and they asked me to recalibrate the machine and I did it and it was still there. Also updated the firmware and it was still there. When I asked if this was a known issue with these units I did not get an answer, only a statement that they would need to check it out. I returned the unit for a replacement and when I got the replacement unit the hum was now tolerable but was still there. I got a really good deal on it so I just let it go but I'm a bit frustrated with the fact it was never really addressed. I never noticed it on the Audio Out jacks to my mixer but I know that others have. So because I didn't get it in my final recordings and only the headphone jack I remained content with the unit.

Liking the recordings I was getting from the Deepmind 6 as a whole I decided I wanted more voices. Last week I bought a refurbished Deepmind 12 from the eBay MusicTribe site. Got the unit this weekend and once again there is the very unpleasant high pitched noise coming from the headphone jack as loud as the first time I had received my Deepmind 6. Now I'm going to have to return this unit as well and hopefully a new unit will arrive with clean headphone sound. I just want it to be right.

Again this has been documented in different places within this thread and others on Gearslutz and also on Reddit and the Music Tribe user site. I'm frustrated with this. This has never been completely addressed and I really wish it would be. Incidentally all three of the units that have come into my home had DATE CODES on them either 1706 or 1705. I'm guessing this is the year and month the units were produced. I'm hoping this is something related to early production runs. I have not been able to listen to any new Deepminds that were made later.

Please, if you have experienced this:

1) If you got rid of the noise completely, how did you do it? (hardware fix, NOT eq)
2) If you have/had the noise what is the Date Code on your synth?
3) If you don't have the noise what is the Date Code on your synth?
4) Did Behringer ever in any communication admit some of these units have this problem?

Please excuse the rant, it's just been a bit of a frustrating journey in relation to this.

Here are some of the threads addressing this problem:

That high-pitched thing with the DeepMind 12?

Deepmind 12D - 6k noise?

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...adphone_noise/

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...noise_problem/

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...r_deepmind_12/

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/...12/td-p/217942

https://soundcloud.com/thomtimmers/d...e-test/s-n6U0N (listen to the part of the test in the middle of the file where nothing is being played and you will hear the high pitch noise)

Edit: unfortunately Musictribe has told me they don't have a replacement so I actually have to send the unit in for repair. Odd to have to do this for a unit I just bought.

-Mike

Last edited by GhostHunterX; 2 days ago at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHunterX View Post

Deepmind 12D - 6k noise?

https://soundcloud.com/thomtimmers/d...e-test/s-n6U0N (listen to the part of the test in the middle of the file where nothing is being played and you will hear the high pitch noise)
I can't hear it in the demo, and I haven't noticed anything like that on my DeepMind 6.

So, I may be deafer than i thought... Quite possibly - the cut off of my hearing is definitely below 10kHz for my right ear, and a lot lower for my left.

Or, it could just be lost in the general background noise, from little cooling fans.

One of those links mentions it's more on some patches than others, and on some it's just white noise. Is it DSP related? Do you still get it if you set the effects to Bypass?

Fun "fact" (which I have not checked, in any way) - the gap / column of air between headphone drivers and the eardrum, tends to resonate at around 7kHz, or a bit lower... But I guess you'd have noticed the problem with other devices, if that was the reason.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I've had three of them and never noticed it. I just plotted the FFT on my latest from the phone jack into a Behringer UM2 audio interface with the volume cranked all the way up (without playing) and I only see some low end noise. Without checking my grounds, etc, I can't say what is causing the low end noise. It can be anything since I just set it up in this location. I've never plotted this UM2 noise level by itself. I see nothing of substance above 1k. Date code is 1705.

Do you have it near a TV?

by the way, with the volume all the way down the UM2 is clean down below -90 with one spike around 120hz but I am using a wall wart for the USB adapter. So the DM12 isn't all the clean on the low end but I don't see an obnoxious spike at 6k.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer DeepMind 12-untitled.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I started wondering about the FFT plots and decided to run one with and without the FX running. So here's send and bypass. Clearly not as much noise in bypass as would be expected. I don't see anything up around 6k. The third plot is the noise floor on the Behringer UM2 USB interface. I'm pretty sure if I swapped the power supply on some things, disconnected the wall wart, some of those 60/120/180/240 peaks would go away.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer DeepMind 12-send.jpg   Behringer DeepMind 12-bypass.jpg   Behringer DeepMind 12-floor.jpg  
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
If you don't have the noise what is the Date Code on your synth?
I have two. One is from the first batch to ship to the U.S. (keyboard 1612). The other I bought a year later (12D module 1706).

As for the threads you linked to, did you read through them? I've seen people talk about balanced cables, recalibration, and using a different power source to get rid of the high pitched sound. Also, have you tried changing the fan speed?

Then there where these two posts that seemed pretty interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
So I've plugged it in and turned it up with headphones on. I've got it cranked up to about 80%. I hear the sound he was probably speaking of and after a few teaks of some parameters I traced it to LFO 2. I tweaked that and then just went down the line of parameters to see what was affecting the LFO. Seems when I got down to the VCA that that's what parameter was affecting the sound from LFO 2. To me, it sounds to be like a faint note that's playing or sustaining. Very very faint. The sound is affected by using any of the sliders. Spent a minute or two tweaking the VCA and HPF and the VCF parameters until the sound went away. And now it's gone. Is it a matter of just making sure parameters are not causing other parameters to hold or sustain a note or maybe a signal is getting caught up on a slider?

Also, I had it up to at least 80% and yes it's faint, but then taking volume down to 50% and then getting your gain staging right, well that's why I probably never heard it. But, the point is I was able to make it go away in 5 minutes.

Quote:
It's not the LFO making the sound, it's just the first slider I touched that actually affected the pitch or the note or the sound, whatever it is. You can clearly hear the the rate of LFO2 changing the tone if I move it up and down. I really think the sound is like a faint stuck note, so some of the parameters like LFO2 and VCA and HPF alter the tone as they would pressing a key on the keyboard.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
My DM12D (sn. s180300546cf7) also has this odd voice-dropping issue. It's apparent on either OSC1 Saw/Pulse or OSC2. It seems to occur most often when the synth is left alone for a minute or so and affects an arbitrary voice. Usually the voice will start working again by itself after holding the note for up to 20 seconds. Changing the Polyphony mode or selecting a new patch also seems to rectify it. When it affects OSC1, OSC2 still works perfectly, and switching the OSC1 sawtooth in and out creates a click, like from a DC offset, and lowers and raises the volume of OSC2 slightly.

Attempts to record this behaviour are fraught with difficulty due to its randomness. It might happen a couple of times within minutes but then not again for hours of playing.

I'm wondering if this could be related to an odd glitch in OSCS 1 and 2 at a very particular frequency. To reproduce this glitch, set GLOBAL-TUNE to around 28 and play the note E5. There should be a ticking sound much like a Geiger Counter, caused by the oscillator resetting at random points.

Finally, my module exhibits some odd VCA behaviour where certain voices (mostly 4, 8 and 12) don't smoothly begin the attack portion of the note. Instead they remain silent for a fraction of a second and then leap to the correct value. I managed to capture this on video a while ago when emailing support but they never got back to me (and to be fair, I didn't chase it up due to being busy with other things). To reproduce, follow the steps in this video:

Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Usually the voice will start working again by itself after holding the note for up to 20 seconds.
My experience exactly.

On this 6K noise issue, I made those plots using TRS shielded cables. The noise level was higher on the phone Jack output but I attributed that to an impedance mismatch. Either way, I haven't heard anything and I'm using TRS to RCA into my amp.

I'll try recording from the phone output of the amp.

Jerry
Old 1 day ago
just in case anyone here doesn't know, there is tons of ground noise and digital hash that comes in from the usb jack when connected to a com. I believe just about all usb connected analog synths have this issue but to a smaller degree. The drumbrute has it pretty bad, the Neutron and Behringer D a tiny bit, the minilogue some, and the Deepmind a ton! The reason why I believe the deepmind might have it so much is the enormous headroom need to accomodate 12 voices of 2 oscillators and FX. The good news there is a fix. A usb electrical isolator between my usb hub connection and the computer. This solved the problem on all my usb connected synths in one shot and was just $20:

https://www.amazon.com/YaeCCC-Isolat...ateway&sr=8-16
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer DeepMind 12-usb-iso.jpg  
Old 15 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
This has been listed on here before and on several different sites and I want to add my frustration with it. I purchased a refurbished Deepmind 6 in January from the MusicTribe (Behringer) site on eBay. When it arrived all was great except for a very unpleasant high pitched noise coming through the headphone jack. I tried plugging the unit into other power jacks in my house and it was still there. I had everything unplugged from the unit (cables, usb, etc.) and it was still there. Turned the fan off and it was still there. I had the volume knob all the way down and it was still there. Tried 3 different headphones and it was still there. I got in touch with MusicTribe and they asked me to recalibrate the machine and I did it and it was still there. Also updated the firmware and it was still there. When I asked if this was a known issue with these units I did not get an answer, only a statement that they would need to check it out. I returned the unit for a replacement and when I got the replacement unit the hum was now tolerable but was still there. I got a really good deal on it so I just let it go but I'm a bit frustrated with the fact it was never really addressed. I never noticed it on the Audio Out jacks to my mixer but I know that others have. So because I didn't get it in my final recordings and only the headphone jack I remained content with the unit.

Liking the recordings I was getting from the Deepmind 6 as a whole I decided I wanted more voices. Last week I bought a refurbished Deepmind 12 from the eBay MusicTribe site. Got the unit this weekend and once again there is the very unpleasant high pitched noise coming from the headphone jack as loud as the first time I had received my Deepmind 6. Now I'm going to have to return this unit as well and hopefully a new unit will arrive with clean headphone sound. I just want it to be right.

Again this has been documented in different places within this thread and others on Gearslutz and also on Reddit and the Music Tribe user site. I'm frustrated with this. This has never been completely addressed and I really wish it would be. Incidentally all three of the units that have come into my home had DATE CODES on them either 1706 or 1705. I'm guessing this is the year and month the units were produced. I'm hoping this is something related to early production runs. I have not been able to listen to any new Deepminds that were made later.

Please, if you have experienced this:

1) If you got rid of the noise completely, how did you do it? (hardware fix, NOT eq)
2) If you have/had the noise what is the Date Code on your synth?
3) If you don't have the noise what is the Date Code on your synth?
4) Did Behringer ever in any communication admit some of these units have this problem?

Please excuse the rant, it's just been a bit of a frustrating journey in relation to this.

That high-pitched thing with the DeepMind 12?

Deepmind 12D - 6k noise?

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...adphone_noise/

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...noise_problem/

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...r_deepmind_12/

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/...12/td-p/217942

Edit: unfortunately Musictribe has told me they don't have a replacement so I actually have to send the unit in for repair. Odd to have to do this for a unit I just bought.

-Mike
I've been experiencing the same issue as yourself and have yet to find a solution. The noise is much more noticeable out of the headphone jacks, but only because the signal appears to be hotter - it is still there using TRS cables from the main outs into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. Still there with the fan off, no other cables (USD/MIDI) connected and after multiple re-calibrations. I've also tried it in different locations with no success. Very annoying to say the least, and this is my second unit! Will check on the date code later and confirm (I think it's 1704). I haven't contacted Behringer directly yet, as I'd prefer to resolve the issue without having to send it back (I bought online) and incur expenses for something that should just work out of the box. I see some people confirm that they don't have any issue (but only CNCJerry has provided spectral analysis images to support this), some people do confirm they have issues but that they don't really notice it/it doesn't bother them/it can't be heard once the synth is playing(it can be, by the way - although this is more dependent on which patch is being used).
Old 15 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I started wondering about the FFT plots and decided to run one with and without the FX running. So here's send and bypass. Clearly not as much noise in bypass as would be expected. I don't see anything up around 6k. The third plot is the noise floor on the Behringer UM2 USB interface. I'm pretty sure if I swapped the power supply on some things, disconnected the wall wart, some of those 60/120/180/240 peaks would go away.

Jerry
This at least gives me some hope that it's not an issue with all DM12s and that people just have varying degrees of tolerance!
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithibailey View Post
This at least gives me some hope that it's not an issue with all DM12s and that people just have varying degrees of tolerance!
Maybe eventually it will.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search