The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer DeepMind 12
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Can you copy the Xpander voice architecture and put a whole Xpander voice into a single Eurorack module?
Isn't Xpander based on pure digital modulation and not that suitable for cv-gate things?
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Isn't Xpander based on pure digital modulation and not that suitable for cv-gate things?
Yeah but the Xpander had CV/Gate inputs for each individual voice
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeslave9000 View Post
Yup - he's quite proud of his sales figures and the X32 in particular. I smiled to myself that I got him to de-lurk at all! (second time, actually - he should hire me as his set-up man...) Good luck getting anything on the synth tho - I doubt he will steal the marketing thunder that easily!
C
It's actually not so much the sales figures than I take pride in, but the incredible team that designed the X32. It's the original German engineering team that has been with us for more than 20 years - wonderful and brilliant people I have utmost respect for.

Allow me to give you a little bit of background information about the new synth. When I was a young kid, I built an electric piano/synthesizer called the UB1 (picture below). The synth had two analog oscillators and a filter that was so unstable that at times it acted as an oscillator - and this was not by design.
The keyboard and the massive toggle switches on the right side came out of an EKO organ that didn't survive the impact of my screwdriver.
The UB1 was nothing great by today's standards but I believe it is this very keyboard that sparked off my passion for music and electronics and later got me into this wonderful industry.

Unfortunately the UB1 got lost during a factory move and for the past 40 years I always wanted to build a synthesizer again. When I shared my deep passion with the Midas engineering team in Manchester UK a few years ago, I was very surprised how many of these engineers had a tremendous passion for synths, too.

That's when the "madness" started and there is no other way to describe it as for the past few years these guys literally worked day and night to get it done.
The synthesizer was initially considered a pure "labor of love" project as we had no commercial aspirations. However what was considered a simple synth project, got completely out of hand and sound capabilities plus features got added on a weekly basis.
People constantly heard me say: "Pete, we got to stop this now", but you can imagine that it had little impact and the team kept on adding and adding. I can't even remember how many front panel design iterations we went through and I believe the guys are still adding more features as we speak - of course without telling me:-).

Because the team wanted to fulfill my dream and build me a synthesizer, I had no choice than to let them go crazy and I am afraid this is exactly what happened:-).
At the same time, the boys also wanted to have some fun with the marketing so please forgive them for the teasers. I am happy to take the blame!

I like to take the opportunity to thank Pete Sadler, Rob Belcham and the rest of the Midas team from the bottom of my heart for what they have done for me.
Hopefully some more people out there will love the synth as much as I do.

Uli
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer DeepMind 12-behringer-ub-1.png  

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 23rd July 2016 at 12:56 AM..
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah but the Xpander had CV/Gate inputs for each individual voice
Didn't know that. It's really rare feature on polysynths.
Why don't you just buy xpander if you want xpander voice?
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Didn't know that. It's really rare feature on polysynths.
Why don't you just buy xpander if you want xpander voice?
I probably will. They cost about $3k and now that I think about it if someone did make such a thing it would probably cost around $500. 4 of them would end up being the same price as a 6 voice Xpander.

The best thing would be if the OB-6 was 6-Part multi-timbral and had CV/Gate inputs for each voice.

This is a feature that polysynths USED to have. Look at the rear of the Prophet 5, there's even a CV/Gate input on that. It has a trigger input, as well as a CV input for the filter cutoff and amplifier. CV/Gate on a poly is totally possible and very cool.

I think it basically cycles through the voices with each successive gate as it would if you were playing normally. What's great about this is that you get the polyphonic reverb of the envelope but the precision of the external CV/Gate timing.

I'd love to see this come back to Polysynths
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear
Uli, thanks for joining us here. I hope once details are released you can answer some questions about it. But for now, can you say if this is the only synth project in the pipeline or merely the first? And curious as to the decision to go DCO vs. VCO?
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I probably will. They cost about $3k and now that I think about it if someone did make such a thing it would probably cost around $500. 4 of them would end up being the same price as a 6 voice Xpander.

The best thing would be if the OB-6 was 6-Part multi-timbral and had CV/Gate inputs for each voice.

This is a feature that polysynths USED to have. Look at the rear of the Prophet 5, there's even a CV/Gate input on that. It has a trigger input, as well as a CV input for the filter cutoff and amplifier. CV/Gate on a poly is totally possible and very cool.

I think it basically cycles through the voices with each successive gate as it would if you were playing normally. What's great about this is that you get the polyphonic reverb of the envelope but the precision of the external CV/Gate timing.

I'd love to see this come back to Polysynths

That's not how it works on the prophet 5. Cv/gate on the P5 only controls,voice #5 .
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
That's not how it works on the prophet 5. Cv/gate on the P5 only controls,voice #5 .
Shoot, I guess I had been told that it worked that way.

I guess that would be good for having a bassline be sequenced and then play the keys.
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Also I think the Jupiter 8 could be CV/Gate sequenced. Vince Clarke had one on tour for 1991 being sequenced by a MC-4 and would switch back and forth between the two timbres.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
Uli, thanks for joining us here. I hope once details are released you can answer some questions about it. But for now, can you say if this is the only synth project in the pipeline or merely the first? And curious as to the decision to go DCO vs. VCO?
Hi Dubnspace,

thanks for the question.

The response for this synth has been so overwhelming that we have decided to establish a comprehensive Synthesizer Division. We are currently hiring 30 engineers and product managers in the UK and Canada; feel free to apply.

Please share with us what synths, drum machines, samplers etc. or features you like to have. Be assured we will carefully listen.

Uli

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 22nd July 2016 at 07:40 AM..
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
Hi Dubnspace,

thanks for the question.

The response for this synth has been so overwhelming that we have decided to establish a comprehensive Synthesizer Division. We are currently hiring 30 engineers and product managers in the UK and Canada; feel free to apply.

Please share with us what synths, drum machines, samplers etc. or features you like to have. Be assured we will carefully listen.

Uli
careful these lot will drive you insane if you start asking for their ideas..
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please feel free to share with us what synths, drum machines, samplers etc. or features you like to have. Be assured we will carefully listen.

Uli
Uli, I don't speak for everyone but here's my personal list of things I'd love to see a synth company make. Since you're listening.

I want to see more multi-timbrality come back.

BRING BACK MELODIC SAMPLING

I would love to see something that emulates the sound and features of the original Fairlight CMI IIx (Or Emulator II). That same lovely 8-track vintage sampling sound with analog filters. I just want a vintage sounding sampler with all the modern conveniences like SD-card storage for samples. A song sequencer inside wouldn't hurt either.

I want to see more CV/Gate sequencing.

I would love to see a Behringer version of a Roland MC-4/Orthogonal ER-101 in a desktop format. Something that can sequence 4 tracks of CV/Gate (each with gate and two CV channels. so for instance you could control the pitch and cutoff of a synth). Drum trigger outputs wouldn't hurt either. If you could then save entire songs to SD and be able to play a CV/Gate set that would be amazing.

If there was an accompanying analog synth to go with it, a 4-Voice 4-part/track synth with CV/Gate input sets for each individual voice. Basically copy the Oberheim Xpander architecture. Then all you'd need is that 4-track synth, the CV/Gate sequencer and a drum synth. Then you could play whole analog synth sets. Load the right song on the sequencer then load the right multi on the analog synth.

If you make a drum synth, please try to do more of a Simmons/Movement Systems kind of sound rather than the over-done Roland X0X drums. Those large Simmons SDS tom drums. A LinnDrum EEPROM sound would also be extremely welcome.

Essentially what to gather from this post is that I'd like to see more FULL SONG creation tools in hardware form. Stuff that gets you away from the computer, but without the sterile sound of a Rompler. You could even market the whole set as a studio system and they could all work together.
Old 22nd July 2016
Here for the gear

Please Uli, whatever products you release, don't try to pigeon-hole them into a price range, especially a very low price that sacrifices the design, function and quality. They should be the best products they can be and feature rich.

(Understandable if that's what you did here, though, as it's your first synth and all.)
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

BRING BACK MELODIC SAMPLING

I would love to see something that emulates the sound and features of the original Fairlight CMI IIx (Or Emulator II). That same lovely 8-track vintage sampling sound with analog filters. I just want a vintage sounding sampler with all the modern conveniences like SD-card storage for samples. A song sequencer inside wouldn't hurt either.
Yes, this, but have a version that is not heavily LCD menu driven. Plug your mic in the back, hit a nice big button simply marked 'sample', shout "boo!" and play the thing over 5 octaves. Some fun buttons for quick manipulation like 'reverse' and 'layer' would be cool too. A few sliders to bring in a bit of simple verb and delay and a decent software editor for more complicated multisample mapping functions. And definitely a lovely analog filter. Basically, make it fun and quick to use so the music can flow.
Old 22nd July 2016
Quote:

I like to take the opportunity to thank Pete Sadler, Rob Belcham and the rest of the Midas team from the bottom of my heart for what they have done for me. Hopefully some more people out there will love the synth as much as I do.

Uli
Respect!
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

What I really want to know is when do we get full specifications, and a release date? :D
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
Yes, this, but have a version that is not heavily LCD menu driven. Plug your mic in the back, hit a nice big button simply marked 'sample', shout "boo!" and play the thing over 5 octaves. Some fun buttons for quick manipulation like 'reverse' and 'layer' would be cool too. A few sliders to bring in a bit of simple verb and delay and a decent software editor for more complicated multisample mapping functions. And definitely a lovely analog filter. Basically, make it fun and quick to use so the music can flow.
You could easily do 8-tracks without too much menu diving by just having 1-8 buttons. Just like the ASR-10. Then you press 1 to edit track one, 2 to edit track 2 and so on.

There could be quick shortcuts to swap tracks. Then you can use the LCD/OLED to save your samples quickly. I mean it doesn't have to much deeper than the sampler in the OP-1, just give it analog filters and 8-part multi-timbrality.

Throw in a fun song sequencer. 8 internal sampling tracks and 8 external MIDI tracks (sound familiar?). Just simple monophonic sequences for each track. Just have an X0X style step edit. Let the user chain the patterns into a song.

You wouldn't even need digital effects as long as you have separate outs for each track.

Don't skimp on the storage.

I would love if samples could get saved with a song too, so that way you wouldn't have to reload all the samples that went with a particular song.

I just want a mini Fairlight CMI to write songs on.
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear
Why did everyone assume this has 4 voices?
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Why did everyone assume this has 4 voices?
Because there is a show in the 3rd teaser vid that shows 4 voice LEDs.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Uli
I don't want to ask for anything, but want to say - thank you Uli and thanks to your engineers ! Keep up your work
Old 22nd July 2016
Quote:
Hi Dubnspace,

thanks for the question.

Uli
great to see you here Uli and epic it is the Manchester Midas team involved in this...love Manchester and its music heritage...

I echo ArtFluids idea. Having been around here a while, I can say one / two of the things mentioned a fair bit but seem impossible due to costs, but perhaps you could make happen, is a hardware creative sampler where you can shape samples with analogue filters, and effects, in a creative way. Of course there is scope to also use traditional sample sets also with plenty of memory now days, even the ability to load old sample programs!
Perhaps that could team with a hardware style drum box sample sequencer, professional level, multi outputs...a true follow up to the classic sample beat boxes with a real fat character (saturating electronics)...perhaps with some modern DAW sync and edit features...

Of course, a fully specced monosynth possibly with semi-modular patching, and a high end poly analogue with 8 voices is also a must :P
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Addict

There is also a gap in the market for a fully self-contained techno workstation / groovebox that does drums, synths, sampling and performance control. Something like a mashup of the best bits of the Elektron devices in one single performance-oriented box. They seem to refuse to release such a device, but I'm pretty sure it would sell well for DJs and touring musicians ...
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Nut

Uli, thank you for the background - I had heard some of the story before, and it's great that you have so many engineers that share your passion. As an engineer myself, I do understand that passion, and recognize that even keeping an engineering group together for 20 years is a feat, especially for such a talented group as Midas. I hope what they have designed is a success business wise, but also just as a synth that people want to play. The x32 certainly broke the price barrier for digital consoles, but it was also a great sounding console, and that's where the magic intersection occurred - price alone would not have prevailed if the company couldn't recapture some of the pro and semi-pro respect, something I think that Berhringer (the company and you personally) and the Midas team must have understood.
Chris

Quote:
It's actually not so much the sales figures than I take pride in, but the incredible team that designed the X32. It's the original German engineering team that has been with us for more than 20 years - wonderful and brilliant people I have utmost respect for.

Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Uli
Open source firmware, so i can customize the digital side of the synth (assuming LFO and ADSR are digital).
That would be great.

Polyphony expander modules without any controls - just a box painted to the same color as its mother synth.
That would be even better.
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

At the age of 16 Uli Behringer built the UB-1, now 39 years later at the age of 55 he gives us the UB-40 - a labour of love!
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Uli
Just for fun, and because nobody else will ever do it - can you build us a string machine and a combo organ?! (and put some nice analog filters on there..)
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Allow me to give you a little bit of background information about the synth. When I was a young kid, I built an electric piano/synthesizer called the UB1 (picture below). The synth had two analog oscillators and an unstable filter that became an oscillator at times - and this was not by design.
The UB1 was nothing great by today's standards but I believe it is this very keyboard that got me into music and electronics.

Unfortunately the UB1 got lost during a factory move and for the past 40 years I always wanted to build a synthesizer again. When I shared my deep passion with the Midas engineering team in Manchester UK a few years ago, I was very surprised how many of these engineers had a tremendous passion for synths, too.

That's when the "madness" started as for the past few years these guys worked literally day and night to get it done. The synthesizer was initially considered a pure "labor of love" project as we had no commercial aspirations. However what was considered a simple synth project, got completely out of control and sound capabilities plus features got added on a weekly basis ("Pete, we got to stop now").

Because the team wanted to fulfill my dream and build me a synthesizer, I had no choice than to let them go crazy and I am afraid this is exactly what happened:-). At the same time, they also wanted some fun with the marketing so please forgive them for the teasers. I am happy to take the blame!

I like to take the opportunity to thank Pete Sadler, Rob Belcham and the rest of the Midas team from the bottom of my heart for what they have done for me. Hopefully some more people out there will love the synth as much as I do.

Uli
It is really sounding and looking brilliant so far...

Thanks so much for doing this, I really hope this is the start of great things to come...
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Maniac
Hi Uii,

The synth looks great so far, I'm excited to give it a go. My request would be a 3 or 4 octave knobby (or slider ey) fm synth. Korgs volca FM is going in the right direction, but I'm a keys player so three voices and no keyboard still isn't quite there for me. There is nothing like it on the market at all!
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Dubnspace,

thanks for the question.

Uli
Great to hear that you are going to build more synths! Can't wait to hear and see the one you are teasing us with at the moment

Future wish for me would be a synth much like the Alesis A6 Andromeda but a little more stable if possible. There are many synths out there with wonderful tone and features but I still have a soft spot for something that deep but at an affordable price point.
I guess I'm trying to say, a synth so bold and hands on that you just have to get it as there is nothing to compare it with.
It's a tall order and everyone will probably call me crazy, but you have to dream sometimes
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

I'd like an affordable analog/digital hybrid with analog oscillators and filters, sampling and digital wavetables. Five octave keyboard and poly after touch please.

Stephen
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search