The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MKS-50 / Alpha Juno-1 / Alpha Juno-2 - New Website!
Old 9th January 2019
Quick question: I want to midi dump and load sysex from the OP's page. I am getting a 16 message, 4.2 kb file from the dump. Is it possible that is the entire 88 patches are in that file?
I want to make sure I don't overwrite my presets and it just seems like that a pretty small file, but what do I know.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmalone View Post
Quick question: I want to midi dump and load sysex from the OP's page. I am getting a 16 message, 4.2 kb file from the dump. Is it possible that is the entire 88 patches are in that file?
I want to make sure I don't overwrite my presets and it just seems like that a pretty small file, but what do I know.
The Alpha Juno doesn't have 88 patches, but 64 (eight banks of eight) And yes, the dump format is such that with 16 messages you should have all the sounds - four tones are sent in each message.

One tone on the AJ can be stored in just 32 bytes and that's with the name included! When transmitted over MIDI they are sent half a byte at a time, so each tone takes 64 bytes of the MIDI message which is how you end up with a ~4kB file.
Old 9th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
The Alpha Juno doesn't have 88 patches, but 64 (eight banks of eight) And yes, the dump format is such that with 16 messages you should have all the sounds - four tones are sent in each message.

One tone on the AJ can be stored in just 32 bytes and that's with the name included! When transmitted over MIDI they are sent half a byte at a time, so each tone takes 64 bytes of the MIDI message which is how you end up with a ~4kB file.
Oh yes, bad math on my part - thanks! Can't wait to play around with all these new patches.
One further question: I'd like to build my own banks - it looks like one can load a single patch, how do I place it where I want it?
Old 28th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Visited this site made me do a happy wee
Great initiative!
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Hi
Does anybody know exactly if the standard procedure described on th llamamusic site for loading bulk dump of Factory Patches or other banks wil actually erase the Preset tones on the AJ2 or if the bulk dump goes into the User Memory group? He says in red "Warning! Everyxthing in internal memory will be erased!" but in the PDF inside the patch zip files describing procedure, this warning is not present. There is some confusion about this. I just want to be able to load bulk Banks to the User Memory section, any way of doing this?
Thanks

Edit1: I just noticed on Pag 38 of Manual there is similar procedure described apparently for loading into User Memory group but it omits the pushing of "Write" button at same time as Bulk Load and Data Transfer as described on llamamusic for Factory Reset . I wonder if it has anything to do with that??

Edit 2: The plt thickens! Just found this on DOA Forum:

JUNO-1, JUNO-2 raw MIDI Dump/Load
----------------------------------------------------
1) The Alpha Juno-1/2 should be set to MIDI Channel 1

2) Set SysEx ON (I don't know if this is an option? I have an MKS-50)

3) The BULK DUMP data transfer methods used are slightly different from the
instructions listed on page 40 of the Alpha Juno-1/2 Owner's Manual.
You must press the WRITE key at the same time as the DATA TRANSFER and
BULK SAVE keys are pressed. This key sequence is an undocumented
feature and sends MIDI information out of the MIDI port in one continuous
stream instead of waiting for a response from another MIDI device connected
to the Alpha Juno-1/2. The method of BULK SAVE data transfer used in this
manner should read in the Alpha Juno-1/2 display window as;

Bulk Save MIDI.o <==== Correct

as opposed to the normal display of;

Bulk Save MIDI.. <==== Incorrect

* The easiest way I have found to use these three keys at the same time
* is to first press the DATA TRANSFER key and then, while still pressing
* DATA TRANSFER, press the WRITE key and while still pressing these two
* keys, press the BULK DUMP key.

To reverse the process, press the BULK LOAD key. Remember, this will replace
all internal tones of the Alpha Juno-1 so when you want to load new tones,
Make Sure You Have A Back-up Of Your Internal Tones Before You Continue!

Last edited by Lorenzop; 9th December 2019 at 02:52 PM..
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

I presume it’s the same as the mks50, in which case sending a bulk dump will overwrite/erase any existing patches stored in the synth
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
I presume it’s the same as the mks50, in which case sending a bulk dump will overwrite/erase any existing patches stored in the synth
Sorry but you add to the confusion

First off the Mks50 is not exactly the same procedure for loading bulk dumps as it has more patches and also separate Chord Memory files etc.

Secodnly, the Alphas have a Preset (Factory ROM) section and a User (RAM) section. It is unclear which procedure to use if I want to install to RAM and not do a Factory reset so to speak each time I load a new Bank!
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

You can’t change anything in rom. All user patches/ sysex dumps go to ram.

Why not dump the patches currently in your synth to a sysex tool and then send a bank of different sounds back the synth to see whats changed ?
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
You can’t change anything in rom. All user patches/ sysex dumps go to ram.
...hmm if this were true why are the procedures described as "factory reset" then??
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
...hmm if this were true why are the procedures described as "factory reset" then??
Because it resets settings as well as the patches.
“ROM” is Read Only Memory. You can’t write to it or overwrite anything contained in it.
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
because that is what it does, resets to factory - that meaning there is no user data, also you need to remember these were 1986 synths and manuals written by Roland

your presets will be gone, factory won't - it won't replace it's own ROM

anyway - let us say for some odd reason factory were deleted you can acquire any preset pack you like from the site in discussion among others

did you know the early aj1 had a diff factory bank to the later aj1?
📝 Reply