The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pyramid - beautiful new HW sequencer Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5th February 2015
Pyramid - beautiful new HW sequencer

Check it out guys & gals

Pyramid Overview

Pyramid allows you to easily produce your tracks from scratch thanks to powerful creative tools, such as a smart chord harmonizer, scales, beat repeat, hold and relatch, groundbreaking step sequencer, Euclidean sequencer, polyrhythmy & polymetry and real-time effects.

16 track, MIDI & CV out, 16 sequences per song, MIDI effects, Euclidean sequencer, but looks like there is also way more to it than that. It looks really deep and a lot of fun to use.

Price is 699 Euro, ships June. First run is EU only though. Lets hope it makes it to the U.S.
Attached Thumbnails
Pyramid - beautiful new HW sequencer-screen-shot-2015-02-05-12.26.00-pm.png   Pyramid - beautiful new HW sequencer-screen-shot-2015-02-05-12.25.24-pm.png  

Last edited by Aiyn Zahav; 5th February 2015 at 10:55 PM..
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Great find! It's shaping up to be the year of the hardware sequencer. It has some kind of "poly" mode that appears to be an advanced chord memory of sorts.

From their site:

Quote:
Pyramid is based on 16 tracks. A track is a loop that contains polyphonic or monophonic notes, automations and effects, plays repeatedly and controls one of the musical instruments connected to midi1, midi2, USB or CV output.
Quote:
The Chord Smartpads represent the 7 degrees of the harmonized scale. These harmonized scales are the basis on which almost every song you know is built.

In Pyramid, we are using two parameters to build chords: the tonality will be the first note of your harmonized scale and the complexity represents the number of notes in each chord.
Also looks like it can capture a real time performance from an external keyboard:

Quote:
Press rec to record your live performance on the current track using the keypads, smartpads or an external midi controller.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Yes! Looks awesome.

Looks like 16 steps only? I may not be understanding it. I wonder if you can edit each seq in the sequence chain mode. Like having more than one pattern running while editing.

Last edited by Sclr; 5th February 2015 at 06:54 PM..
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Will need to compare this to the Beatstep Pro!
Old 5th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclr View Post
Yes! Looks awesome.

Looks like 16 steps only? I may not be understanding it. I wonder if you can edit each seq in the sequence chain mode. Like having more than one pattern running while editing.
Nope:

Pyramid includes a 16-step interface, but you are free to extend the length of the track up to 64 bars and the zoom up to 1600%: the number of steps is almost infinite! The ability to modify the velocity, the note width and the offset for each step makes Pyramid one of the most advanced sequencer on the market.

Looking pretty epic.
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Addict

looks great!
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear
very cool
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Guru
Wonder if tracks can each be a different length

EDIT: it can

Last edited by djugel; 5th February 2015 at 07:15 PM..
Old 5th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Wonder if tracks can each be a different length

EDIT: it can
Yes they've made it very powerful. I honestly didn't see this coming, though I've felt for ages there was a gap here. A serious live & studio sequencer for about $1k or less. But what gets me is this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to use too and quite playable.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

I can't believe the amount of sequencers coming out. Pretty surprising.
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Addict

Pretty sweet! The physical interface is more limited than the Cirklon - but it's also significantly cheaper, not coincidentally. The feature set looks impressive at first glance, I'm curious to learn more about it, and hope it becomes available in the US soon. (And I hope the Cirklon will get a similar chord mode soon too.)
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Addict

There's also this:

This Upcoming Step Sequencer Could Transform the iPad [Sneak Preview] - Create Digital Music

...but I'm pretty leery of the iPad as a MIDI controller - dedicated hardware like this still wins.
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Guru

OK, cool - but why 2 CV/gate inputs and one output? You'd think it'd be more useful the other way round, no?
Old 5th February 2015
Just bought an mpc 1000 yesterday so i m out but still interesting ... and yes it seems 2015 is the sequencer year
@ Yoozer ; i m surprised also bout this choice they made ....

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
OK, cool - but why 2 CV/gate inputs and one output? You'd think it'd be more useful the other way round, no?
Maybe, it is just for sending its own clock and receive one from 2 different devices ?
Old 5th February 2015
So, reading the site, it looks like it's definition of sequences is a little different from what you might be used to. Instead of a sequencer chaining patterns, this one seems to just remember track mute states. You have 16-tracks, but each track just has it's one pattern.

The idea seems to be: you build a musical piece out of up to 16 tracks (each playing up to 64 bars mind you) and then you're sequencing stage is simply muting and unmuting them. Again, not chaining different patterns, but just the same pattern from each track.

Last edited by Aiyn Zahav; 5th February 2015 at 11:16 PM..
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky View Post
There's also this:

This Upcoming Step Sequencer Could Transform the iPad [Sneak Preview] - Create Digital Music

...but I'm pretty leery of the iPad as a MIDI controller - dedicated hardware like this still wins.
This looks very interesting indeed!
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
he idea seems to be: you build a musical piece out of up to 16 tracks (each playing up to 64 bars mind you) and then your sequencing stage is simply muting and unmuting them.
this is how I remember making entire tracks in the 90s.

Last edited by controlvoltage; 6th February 2015 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: you're => your ;)
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
The detailed text on the webpage says:

Quote:
Connectivity

- MIDI in (to control Pyramid with a MIDI controller)
- MIDI out (x2)
- DYN sync out
- CV+GATE in (x2) [0 to 5V]
- CV+GATE out [0 to 5V]
- ENV out (assignable CV envelope, for example to sequence filters) [0 to 5V]
- PEDAL in (x2)
- Plug and play MIDI USB out
- SD card slot to save an unlimited number of projects and upgrade the OS.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Instabuy.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hanes View Post
The detailed text on the webpage says:
This does not answer the question heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Maybe, it is just for sending its own clock and receive one from 2 different devices ?
Generally you only want a single clock authority in a setup.

Anyway, I've contacted them - let's see what the reply is.

Last edited by Yoozer; 6th February 2015 at 06:55 AM..
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Looks awesome! The screen looks great and it's nice to have pads. I'm interested.
Old 6th February 2015
just one single cv/gate output on a 700 euro sequencer ?

my gearection just went pffft.

at the time of modular explosion when even the big boys started noticing it, and with crapzillion systems out there... i find this decision totally out of touch. many alternatives that offer much more in that regard. for example, similar priced new Social Entropy's Engine sequencer with cv expansion, offers eight cv/gate cv/velo pairs. new Arturia about half of that, and for less than half the price.. then theres A4 with 2 pairs and a 4 voice synth for not much more etc etc.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear
I think Ableton might have something to say about the branding.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Im interested. This looks way more attainable than a cirklon for me. I probably never would have used half of what the cirklon is capable of anyway and i don't have a lot of cv gear.
The pyramid chord smartpad and chord step modes look fantastic. Also repeat smartpads would save me tons of time step sequencing hihats, snares etc.
Dang it has a touchpad as well. This is what the electribe 2 should have been.

Last edited by Sclr; 6th February 2015 at 09:02 AM..
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Looks like just what i'm looking for! But damn it - why oh why sold just within the EU?!!
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, very interesting, indeed! I would like to another midi in, but on the whole this unit looks extremely capable and tempting.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm curious about that too. It seems a rather odd choice to me.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Nut

Looks very interesting indeed, looking forward to seeing some proper demos. I am in the market for a new hardware sequencer and will probably end up going for either this or the upcoming Mode Machines Seq12.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
I think Ableton might have something to say about the branding.
Why?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search