The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pyramid - beautiful new HW sequencer
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
No need to play the victim card this hard. Your "innocent question" basically said 10,000 notes was measly. Well it's not for a lot of people and comes off as a bit insulting to some.

If you need this many notes, its honestly best to just use a DAW.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
won't work this way, because only one project is loaded to memory.
when you load another project, previous one is unloaded.
So in that case, please make up your mind. Earlier on you were pontificating with large fonts and bright colours that the 10000 memory is per project, alluding to the fact that many projects can be held in the internal memory at a time.... but here you write that in fact, the 10000 notes is the entire internal memory we get.....

Quote:
i will repeat this forever:

10000 events PER PROJECT.

you people really can't distinguish per project limit from total memory?
?
So as it happens the 10000 notes 'per project' is the TOTAL memory. Maybe it's you who can not distinguish what the 10000 memory limit means in practice?

The 10000 event memory is indeed like the Alesis MMT8. It's exactly as if we were back in the 1980s. Let's have the sounds from the 80s, not the limited tech.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
No need to play the victim card this hard. Your "innocent question" basically said 10,000 notes was measly. Well it's not for a lot of people and comes off as a bit insulting to some.
Seriously? People get insulted about somebody saying that a sequencer does not have enough event memory?

This is my original question in case you failed to read it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post

Are there any plans to extend the note number?
@ Methlab , If you have nothing helpful to add, why post ?

Quote:

If you need this many notes, its honestly best to just use a DAW.
16000 is not a lot. This is what my old SY77 sequencer has. It is only logical to want to find out if a brand new sequencer made in the 2000s, can be expanded with more event memory, since as I've explained in my first post, I find 10000 notes not enough FOR ME. My other sequencer, the QY100 has 32000 notes and it's much better. This would be very good to have in a modern sequencer. Why such strong objections so far? You don't stand to loose anything. I haven't asked for some ridiculous features that would only be available in a software DAW.....

I'd like to explore new hardware sequencers more than my DAW lately, so comments like this are not really helpful. "use your DAW"
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Seriously? People get insulted about somebody saying that a sequencer does not have enough event memory?

This is my original question in case you failed to read it:

@ Methlab , If you have nothing helpful to add, why post ?

16000 is not a lot. This is what my old SY77 sequencer has. It is only logical to want to find out if a brand new sequencer made in the 2000s, can be expanded with more event memory, since as I've explained in my first post, I find 10000 notes not enough FOR ME. My other sequencer, the QY100 has 32000 notes and it's much better. This would be very good to have in a modern sequencer. Why such strong objections so far? You don't stand to loose anything. I haven't asked for some ridiculous features that would only be available in a software DAW.....

I'd like to explore new hardware sequencers more than my DAW lately, so comments like this are not really helpful. "use your DAW"
I read it told you why it came off wrong and you are still clearly hypersensitive and argumentative. Its an annoying combo.

Also have contributed to this thread many times. Your little problem is not an issue for me so there's nothing else to say there.

If you want to explore sequencers then you should prepare yourself to deal with certain restrictions and workarounds. That's what production is really about anyway.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
What is happening to Gearslutz?
Its memory is full
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I wonder if there is confusion as to what a "sequencer" is for?
Whilst semantically it is something to arrange or play events in a sequence... as musical instruments it tends to refer to a degree of repetition.
Synth sequencers are born out of 8 and then 16 event cycling devices. Taking this idea and adding enormous levels of complexity gives you Squarp and Elektron and other such devices.
But if you want something to play back enormously long, complex sequences of notes without a structure of repetition of smaller elements ... that takes the form of something like a concerto, a film soundtrack or piece of free jazz ... then a sequencer is the wrong tool ... in the same way an electric van designed for routine local parcel deliveries is the wrong vehicle for a transcontinental expedition.
The original question perhaps is looking for a recording and/or playback device rather than a sequencer?
In the last century the obvious choice would have been magnetic tape. Currently, a DAW is more obvious ...
An appropriately featured tape recorder or DAW will handle all the note events of a musical sequence such as a Beethoven symphony, or all nine.
For a hugely complex and expansive recursive piece, with 10+ times as many note events as that symphony cycle, a hardware device like a Pyramid might be just the tool for the job.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
16000 is not a lot. This is what my old SY77 sequencer has. It is only logical to want to find out if a brand new sequencer made in the 2000s, can be expanded with more event memory, since as I've explained in my first post, I find 10000 notes not enough FOR ME. My other sequencer, the QY100 has 32000 notes and it's much better. This would be very good to have in a modern sequencer.
I can understand why, on the surface, you would find the 10000 event limit baffling. That said, I would suggest that it's not necessarily apples-to-apples when comparing the event limits of different sequencers, because the workflows and ways that midi events can be used within a project are different from one sequencer to another. It would only be a fully valid comparison if all sequencers did straight linear sequencing only. I say that only to suggest that just because you hit the 16000 event limit on your SY77, that doesn't necessarily mean that in practice you would hit the 10000 event limit on the Pyramid, because it very much depends on the approach you personally take to sequencing and your use of the sequencer's capabilities.

I find that sequencers are a very subjective, personal thing. While some of the features of the Pyramid may seem compelling on paper, it's also very possible you would find it frustrating to use even if the event limit were higher, because it's very much oriented toward a non-linear sequencing approach. In fact, it excels at that - there are an impressive number of different ways that individual patterns of midi events can be "re-used" across a project and warped with midi effects, making efficient use of the midi events themselves. It certainly can do linear sequencing, but those who prefer to primarily work that way would probably find it more confounding than inspiring. For me, it strikes a great balance between linear and non-linear sequencing, but as I said before, it's a very subjective thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, my sincere apologies that I haven't read every page of this thread and pages on other threads on other forums. Such faux pas on my part....
I will have to excuse my wife and my kids next time and announce to them that I need spend less time with the family and instead spend more time reading every freaking thread on every forum of interest, rather than post about a predicament and post a simple question.
lol

you do realize that with the amount of time you've spent reading and replying to all these posts (on a sequencer you've written off entirely since the note limit "is a deal breaker") playing like we're attacking you or something you easily could've searched here and squarp.community and found as much of an answer as you'll likely ever get. search function is your friend! i'm glad to help out and answer as much as i can (as i did) but you seem intent on continuing to blabber in here so.... have fun? don't waste TOO much time tho. your wife and kids surely miss you...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Pyramid is marketed as a centrepiece of the studio....On Sqaurp's website it is written that:
"Pyramid provides you with a radical new workflow and almost unlimited possibilities.
It will become your ultimate studio centerpiece."

You seem to want to skip right over the fact that Squarp is very upfront and honest about how the Pyramid will provide you with a "RADICAL NEW WORKFLOW".

This workflow is not for everyone and will not fill every need. When using this workflow you have almost unlimited possibilities and it will become your ultimate studio centerpiece.

Step outside what this tool was designed to do and you will not get unlimited possibilities and it will not not become your centerpiece.

This new workflow is rather simple yet rather elegant. I use it as the centerpiece of my studio along with 30+ synths all connected 100% of time to my Pyramid. Quite simply buying my Pyramid and adopting and embracing it's workflow has been the best and most creative thing to ever happen to my music in the 30+ years I have been making it.

In this workflow the Pyramid is not simply a MIDI tape recorder. It's actually a performance instrument in and of itself. You enter notes via an external keyboard or the onboard pads that also make a keyboard. I am using my Reface DX for this at the moment. There are lots of tools to make note entry a total breeze.

Once the notes are in I can use all the tools the Pyramid has to bend pitches, to generate arps, to send CCs, to create Euclidean Rhythms whatever.

When I play a synth with velocity or aftertouch those are routed to some sort of modulation. I have no need to record such things into my Pyramid as the Pyramid itself can generate it.

When you dig deep the things that the Pyramid can easily do are pretty kick ass. My passion is FM. Programming any one of my ten DX7 varients or my TG77 to have EG Bias on a patch controlled by a mod wheel then using the Midi LFOs in Pyramid as a mod wheel to very slowy and very gently modulate the EG bias is amazing and guess what I can do that over an entire song and not use any MIDI events.

I can enter a complex chord. Using only a few note on MIDI events. Then sustain that for many bars and use the arps to generate a nice pattern, then use randomization and humanization to make it sound unique. Then add the midi delays. Then use a MIDI LFO to send various CCs to modulate something on the synth. That creates an evolving dynamic track all using at most a few dozen out of your 10,000 events.

Once everything is programmed and you hit play you can then perform changing patterns, turning tracks on and off. Along with that I can also use my mixer live on the fly to change the mix, send things to effects, mute various things etc. Then finally while all this is happening I can play one or more of my synths live.

It's a fantastic and fun workflow and never comes close to 10,000 events
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I read it told you why it came off wrong and you are still clearly hypersensitive and argumentative. Its an annoying combo.
Right. Because posting a question:

Quote:
Are there any plans to extend the note number?
Should provoke people to be all belittling and pontificating. The oversensitive tone did not come from me, my friend, but from other members, who have closed minds and can not imagine that 10000 event notes may not be enough for some people. You have even stated that the very suggestion that 10000 event notes is not enough (for me!) is insulting to some! Pure comedy! For heaven's sake people, do not turn this around. I asked a technical question and such ridiculous posts follow. Unbelievable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right. Because posting a question:

Should provoke people to be all belittling and pontificating. The oversensitive tone did not come from me, my friend, but from other members, who have closed minds and can not imagine that 10000 event notes may not be enough for some people. You have even stated that the very suggestion that 10000 event notes is not enough (for me!) is insulting to some! Pure comedy! For heaven's sake people, do not turn this around. I asked a technical question and such ridiculous posts follow. Unbelievable.
Dude what do you want? current pyramid owners to unite behind you and overthrew squarp? Just get another sequencer and move on with your life.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i will repeat this forever:

10000 events PER PROJECT.

you people really can't distinguish per project limit from total memory?
or why do you constantly compare Pyramid's per project limit to the total memory of various old sequencers?
Yeah but it loads one project to memory at a time right?
They should work on enabling multiple projects in memory at once with a way to seamlessly switch between projects.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Any tips for a soon Pyramid user? Like good to know/do before diving in?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Study the manual.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
Any tips for a soon Pyramid user? Like good to know/do before diving in?
There are several really good Youtube videos watch them
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just received my new Mk3 - is it normal that the mode buttons only respond to a very quick tap? I’m hoping it’s because a longer press is interpreted as a “hold down”...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search