The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pyramid - beautiful new HW sequencer Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

this thing looks incredible only downer for me is 6000 events any way to extend that with external memory? (or fw plans?)

this looks like its only drawback stopping it from being a true ambient powerhouse if you do lots of filter sweep automatons.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
this thing looks incredible only downer for me is 6000 events any way to extend that with external memory? (or fw plans?)

this looks like its only drawback stopping it from being a true ambient powerhouse if you do lots of filter sweep automatons.
How many events would do you need ?
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

not sure until i get hands on but if it becomes a problem it is something i am willing to work round but i was planning extended automation and looks like filter sweeps can eat hundreds very easily. the number seems to be on the low side comparing with other products like workstations and hermod has 80000 which is a significant jump up. not read up on the hermod yet though so maybe that would suffice but i think the pyramid is what i need.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
this thing looks incredible only downer for me is 6000 events any way to extend that with external memory?
where is this 6000 number from?
official specs says about >8000 events per project. (8192 i guess)

or do you mean linear recording?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i was wanting to sequence my synths with midi but there is only one midi port on the back of the pyramid. how can that be the brains of your setup

and what looks to be an out of date USB. am i missing something?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
The magic of midi channels. you can access devices between the two ports.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i was wanting to sequence my synths with midi but there is only one midi port on the back of the pyramid. how can that be the brains of your setup

maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but i currently have 3 ports going. I have the midi a, midi b, and the usb.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Based on this page:

Squarp Instruments PyraOs Update

It appears the OS is still in full development mode!

I remember news a few years ago that they were stopping development and considered it 'finished' except for bug fixes - but that seems to not be the case...?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Based on this page:

I remember news a few years ago that they were stopping development and considered it 'finished' except for bug fixes - but that seems to not be the case...?
It'd be almost suicidal to Squarp if they abandoned the OS, since it's exactly what makes their sequencer special.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

I'm not sure where you were looking but the Pyramid has 3 MIDI DIN ports on the back (one MIDI input port, two MIDI output ports) as well as one USB MIDI connection. Each MIDI output port supports the full 16 channels of MIDI, so you can control up to 32 devices via MIDI DIN and another 16 via USB, which I would think is plenty for most setups. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.
Old 4 weeks ago
R7P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Based on this page:

You might be thinking of the Octatrack, Pyramid’s OS has been in a constant state of development since it’s release.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal View Post
I'm not sure where you were looking but the Pyramid has 3 MIDI DIN ports on the back (one MIDI input port, two MIDI output ports) as well as one USB MIDI connection. Each MIDI output port supports the full 16 channels of MIDI, so you can control up to 32 devices via MIDI DIN and another 16 via USB, which I would think is plenty for most setups. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.
i'm sure the problem is me i don't understand midi good.

what would midi in be for here? (normally it is for adding a keyboard on synths)

so midi out is for the sequencer to control your synths? you could control two synths with two midi cables... so i'm assuming you could further split that with some kind of splitter if your synth was only using up one or two midi channels on that cable?

USB type mini A seems weird... i haven't been able to find a USB B (what my synth uses) to mini A (back of squarp) do those cables even exist?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
what would midi in be for here? (normally it is for adding a keyboard on synths)
many parameteres of Pyramid performance (switching sequences, muting/unmuting tracks, MIDI effects parameters, etc) can be controlled externally, e.g. by DAW, from MIDI control surface, Launchpad, Axoloti, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

nice, adding dedicated volume faders with mute buttons for each track would be of interest to me to for bringing ambient in and out. maybe something like zoom L12.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

so midi out is for the sequencer to control your synths? you could control two synths with two midi cables... so i'm assuming you could further split that with some kind of splitter if your synth was only using up one or two midi channels on that cable?
Some synths have midi thru ports, which passes what they receive to their input port to this thru port, enabling easy chaining of multiple synths together. And yes, there are also specific boxes which can split a signal (and some cheap cables that might work for splitting one into two). And yes, each synth needs to be set to use different midi channels (unless you want more than one synth to respond to same notes coming from the sequencer). Also if I am remembering properly, the Pyramid gets all its power from that USB port, it doesnt have a separate port for its power adaptor, so thats another thing to consider.

The midi in is so you can play notes on a controller and record them into the Squarps sequencer. I think it has a few other uses too but I have gone a bit rusty when it comes to remembering all the features of the pyramid.

Quote:
USB type mini A seems weird... i haven't been able to find a USB B (what my synth uses) to mini A (back of squarp) do those cables even exist?
Its not just a question of cable type when trying to do this - devices with USB B are typically expecting to be connected to a USB host port, such as the ones computers have. And most devices cannot act as hosts themselves, unless they explicitly state that they do (eg Deckards Dream can, Waldorf Quantum can). The pyramid cannot do this, its usb port is designed to connect it to a computer (or other type of USB host device), it cannot act as the host itself so you cant connect most other synths to its USB in the manner you envisage. Also if I am remembering properly, the Pyramid gets all its power from that USB port, and the power supply for it has that sort of USB connector on the end.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

MIDI can be pretty confusing at first, there might be some good youtube explainers on it out there, maybe worth checking out? Key thing for me was realizing that it's all very small amounts of data being sent out at all times, but each synth only listens/responds to the channel/s it's told to.

Each MIDI out on the Pyramid can control up to 16 channels each: sometimes you might want multiple MIDI channels being used on one synth (some synths support this, some don't), but often you only need one MIDI channel per synth. MIDI splitter cables can work (as well as utilizing MIDI thru that some synths have), but if controlling many synths you'd likely want some sort of MIDI hub that splits the signal...hence you'd have MIDI Channel A > MIDI Hub > splayed out to multiple synths. Generally MIDI stays pretty tight, but splitting any signal multiple times through devices/etc can introduce some slight latency.

If you were controlling 4 synths, you could just buy two MIDI splitter cables and route out of Pyramid's MIDI Channel A and MIDI Channel B directly, and expand from there if necessary.

Someone else already keyed in on what MIDI in is for
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by R7P View Post
You might be thinking of the Octatrack, Pyramid’s OS has been in a constant state of development since it’s release.
Nope they definitely wrapped it at 2.0, then relented
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i would want to sequence from the synth's keys, not the non-velocity pyramid pads. and only one midi in.

this 16 channels to a single midi cable isn't ideal is it? already i'd need to use splitters or hubs for something that should streamline a set up. is this midi2 standard any better?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i was wanting to use a JDXI to control and arp a XV-5080, but also use the JDXI itself too if possible. but that just seems too complicated or impossible, so i am willing to throw the JDXI out of the equation entirely.

i definitely want to sequence a system-8 (from its keys) and sequence the XV-5080 from the S8 keys. the XV-5080 has midi in thru. is that doable?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i would want to sequence from the synth's keys, not the non-velocity pyramid pads. and only one midi in.
You can use the Midi in port to plug in any Midi Keyboard/Synth/Controller you wish you can also use the USB in

I use a MIO 4 on the USB connection. It gives you an additional 4 Midi in and out ports. They also make a MIO 10 with 10. I also use two Midisolutions T8 thru boxes

Quote:
this 16 channels to a single midi cable isn't ideal is it? already i'd need to use splitters or hubs for something that should streamline a set up. is this midi2 standard any better?
That is the way MIDI works. You get 16 channels. Using the two midiout ports you have 32 channels, you get an additional 16 on the USB out. That gives you 48 channels that can control up to 48 different devices at once. Do you really need more than 48 devices being sequenced at once? If you ran all those in mono you would need a 48 channel board or interface to mix/record them all. Assuming you have stereo synths you would need 96 channels.

Midi is also a networking protocol. Just like any computer network you need routers, switches, and hubs to create your network. In Midi these are called throughboxes.

If you are going to sequence 12 synths or less a MIO10 would give you 10 MIDI outs and using the Pyramids two outs you would have a total of 12 outputs
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i was wanting to use a JDXI to control and arp a XV-5080, but also use the JDXI itself too if possible. but that just seems too complicated or impossible, so i am willing to throw the JDXI out of the equation entirely.

i definitely want to sequence a system-8 (from its keys) and sequence the XV-5080 from the S8 keys. the XV-5080 has midi in thru. is that doable?
Using a MIO (either the Mio 4 or Mio 10) this is easily done. They give you either 4 or 10 sets of midi in and out ports. Every Midi In port gets sent to every Midi Out port. Any MIDI data on the same channel gets merged

So you can have multiple synths hooked up at the same time
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

if i scrap the JDXI would i still need a mio?

so just want to sequence the S8 and XV-5080 from the S8 keys.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I must be a crazy person, but now and then I think about getting a Pyramid and sending it’s MIDI into my Cirklon mainly to leverage the MIDI effects that are a little different than Cirklon’s. Honestly, I think it is probably too complex of a setup and the Cirklon does so much that it probably doesn’t justify the expense of buying the Squarp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the euclidean stuff looks amazing, plus stackable midi effects.

can't help but think a MKIII is on the way though. the OS is still being expanded and its already went way beyond what the interface was designed for. i think there is scope for a nice refresh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
the euclidean stuff looks amazing, plus stackable midi effects.

can't help but think a MKIII is on the way though. the OS is still being expanded and its already went way beyond what the interface was designed for. i think there is scope for a nice refresh.
Is there any indication of a physical redesign for a mk3? When are the next industry meetings during which such a redesign would be announced?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I really wouldn’t worry about it...I’m not sure that’s even accurate any longer.

A couple summers ago, I had to quickly prepare a set to play with a rock band. Fortunately they had all their tracks written in midi so I could just bounce that out and load it on the Pyramid. Because I had so much other work to do for this band with sound design I used the Pyramid pretty minimally, but did use it to load full midi files on the Pyramid to playback and jam over for about 14 songs of about 3-6 minutes each. Of these, only one hit the even limit, and for that one I had to do some editing to create patterns that would loop, etc...for the rest of those tracks I never hit the midi event limit, despite loading in full midi tracks with thousands of midi events. And after I emailed Squarp because I hit the limit with that one track, they looked into it and had a fix within 3 days or something, meaning the one track that had been a problem no longer was.

If you’re working more traditionally where you’re going to program patterns and sequences that will loop , I really doubt you wil ever come close to the limit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
A couple summers ago, I had to quickly prepare a set to play with a rock band. Fortunately they had all their tracks written in midi so I could just bounce that out and load it on the Pyramid. Because I had so much other work to do for this band with sound design I used the Pyramid pretty minimally, but did use it to load full midi files on the Pyramid to playback and jam over for about 14 songs of about 3-6 minutes each. Of these, only one hit the even limit, and for that one I had to do some editing to create patterns that would loop, etc...for the rest of those tracks I never hit the midi event limit, despite loading in full midi tracks with thousands of midi events. And after I emailed Squarp because I hit the limit with that one track, they looked into it and had a fix within 3 days or something, meaning the one track that had been a problem no longer was.
Nice! The Pyramid is a quite the sequencer. I've been debating on getting a new sequencer and am deciding between the Pyramid, Hermod, or the 1010 Music Toolbox. I was actually thinking of possibly going the route of the Pyramid and then a 1010 Music Toolbox down the line. It seems like the Hermod, while having more CVs, doesn't have the ability to load midi files like the Pyramid. Do you know if that's accurate? Recording automation on the Hermod looked like a breeze and I'm assuming is just as easy on the Pyramid.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Nice! The Pyramid is a quite the sequencer. I've been debating on getting a new sequencer and am deciding between the Pyramid, Hermod, or the 1010 Music Toolbox. I was actually thinking of possibly going the route of the Pyramid and then a 1010 Music Toolbox down the line. It seems like the Hermod, while having more CVs, doesn't have the ability to load midi files like the Pyramid. Do you know if that's accurate? Recording automation on the Hermod looked like a breeze and I'm assuming is just as easy on the Pyramid.
I don’t know much about the Hermod other than the fact that I’ve been following it since announcement but never used one. From what I do know, the Hermod is pretty similar and super handy for using within a rack, but the Pyramid is ultimately more fully developed and fully featured. Mine is basically used with a Hex Inverter Mutant Brain and/or MI Yarns, and that more than covers my needs because I use other sequencers more in eurorack. I will say that the Hermod seemed less relevant to my needs as a modular user with the Pyramid + midi<CV modules, but I also do a lot of generative stuff using switches, Random modules etc, so I’m kinda underutilizing the Pyramid overall but really take advantage of the midi FX is has (which I think the Hermod is more limited on).

As far as the 1010 Toolbox vs Squarp...they’re just different kinds of sequencers. The Toolbox stuff in the 1010 Black Box has my interest piqued as a stand-alone unit, but I’m not sure I could justify the Pyramid + midi<CV module or Hermod along with the Toolbox...Pyramid/Hermod with a sequencer with decent CV ins (like the NerdSEQ) or the Toolbox with something like the Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis, most certainly. I’d definitely look more towards mixing things up for a hybrid eurorack/standalone sequencer paradigm.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the event limit will only be a problem if you intend to use a lot of cc automation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

so. today, i'm officially the happiest gearslut
it's not that easy to buy Pyramid here in Ukraine, but finally i own it.

April 2019 New Gear Thread-img_0249_pyra_960x800_85.jpg
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search