The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequential Prophet 6
Old 30th May 2019
Old 31st May 2019
Old 1st June 2019
Old 3rd July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Is it worthwhile to get this beast if I already have an OB-6? The melancholy sounds the OB-6 can produce are amazing, but I want something else for live use like the Prophet 6, just for different tones...
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b7a9c8d View Post
Is it worthwhile to get this beast if I already have an OB-6? The melancholy sounds the OB-6 can produce are amazing, but I want something else for live use like the Prophet 6, just for different tones...
If it has enough modulation for your needs then yes absolutely. I was frustrated by this and sold mine and bought a Prophet 08, which I love. Recently bought an OB6 and love it too but it is very niche. I was listening to P6 recordings on Soundcloud last night and I can see me buying another. Just not told the wife yet.
Old 3rd July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1to1 View Post
If it has enough modulation for your needs then yes absolutely. I was frustrated by this and sold mine and bought a Prophet 08, which I love. Recently bought an OB6 and love it too but it is very niche. I was listening to P6 recordings on Soundcloud last night and I can see me buying another. Just not told the wife yet.
I’ve gone through a dozen nice synths this year. Only one still here is the OB-6. Prophet 6 I believe will complement it well. I’m saving for a Matriarch so I’m not too worried about modulation limits on the P6. I live for raw sounds.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

For anyone worried about modulation capabilities of the OB-6 and Prophet 6, check out the Low Frequency Expander thread.
Old 3rd July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
For anyone worried about modulation capabilities of the OB-6 and Prophet 6, check out the Low Frequency Expander thread.
****e, I forgot about that after GeoSynths video. That might just be what I want!!!
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
****e, I forgot about that after GeoSynths video. That might just be what I want!!!
I can’t imagine an OB-6 or Prophet 6 owner that wouldn’t find it useful. Looks really nicely made and easy to use too.

Mine will be here this month hopefully!
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is a question that sort of plagues me too, but in the other direction. I already have the Prophet 6 but sometimes I think I should get the OB-6 as well. The issue there is that I don’t really have the room for both, and it becomes a sort of Sophie’s Choice for synths. My “solution” to this “problem” is to have a Prophet 6 module and a Pro 2. I can only get 4 paraphonic voices out of the Pro 2, but I’ve deemed that it’s enough of that flavor for me. The Pro 2 actually has both the Prophet and OB filters on board (in series or parallel, or anywhere in between!) so it still somewhat makes me wonder if having the one true VCO poly be the Prophet or the OB? I usually think about it a bit and then do nothing until I see a post like this. Then I write about it and forget it.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
BTW, if you have a modern DAW like Live for Bitwig, you already have that.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah, this is a game changer and if it had been available earlier then things might have panned out different.

Ironically, as a P6 owner it would have been amazing. But as a current OB6 owner I’m not that sure I need it. The OB6 is amazing with just the filter envelope.

Back to the Prophet 6, I bought it as a 2nd synth and didn’t really appreciate why it was special. I regret selling mine and if you already dig your OB6 then you just need to get the Pro 6 and upgrade later with the LFO expander. Do it you slut!
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
BTW, if you have a modern DAW like Live for Bitwig, you already have that.
You are totally right ZeroX, but some of us Luddites struggle with doing it via automation/DAW. I would love to achieve these things ITB, Most of the time it seems easier to pay the extra for hardware that does it intuitively.

I hate being stuck with the limitations of hardware.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1to1 View Post
You are totally right ZeroX, but some of us Luddites struggle with doing it via automation/DAW. I would love to achieve these things ITB, Most of the time it seems easier to pay the extra for hardware that does it intuitively.

I hate being stuck with the limitations of hardware.
I don’t know what DAW you work in, but I’m using Bitwig and it is very easy and intuitive to do. I suspect it is in Live too, now that they’ve integrated Max into it. All you really have to do is choose the type of modulation you want and then make sure that it’s spitting out the appropriate CC into the Prophet.
Old 3rd July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
I'm really trying to plan out my synthesis journey, in musical goal type of terms and desk space.

I've got an OB-6, and a Korg ARP Odyssey FSQ on the way with an SQ-1 sequencer... I was thinking of snagging a Roland System-500 used that'd play well with the Odyssey and SQ-1 sequencer. Then I've got the Moog Matriarch, Prophet 6, and UDO Super 6 on the horizon... Something inside tells me nothing I want is wrong, but at the same time it's hard to pull some of these triggers. I think for now I'll continue learning the OB-6 from the inside out and maybe get the expander + P6 at the same time if I decide to.

Again, just looking for what I want currently even though I've got it somewhat planned out... Right now OB-6 and ARP Odyssey are all I've got synth wise. Roland System-500 or P6 might be next. Basically, what I've determined, is there's no going wrong really and I'll have all my grounds covered, from VCO poly, to VCO mono, and DCO poly to a completed modular environment that plays nicely with a sequencer I've already got and the Matriarch...

The real question is what do I buy today before midnight... You decide! On tonight's episode of F My Wallet!
Old 3rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have both, and to me it's worth it, budget permitting. Here's an example of each from my Instagram:

Quote:
A.J. Lazarus on Instagram: “Random arpeggiation. And phone mic distortion.”

71 Likes, 4 Comments - A.J. Lazarus (@ajlazarus) on Instagram: “Random arpeggiation. And phone mic distortion.”
Quote:
A.J. Lazarus on Instagram: “Crazy what you come up with when you start messing aro

122 Likes, 8 Comments - A.J. Lazarus (@ajlazarus) on Instagram: “Crazy what you come up with when you start messing around with analog synth programming. Sounds…”
Old 4th July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
neat
Old 4th July 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth_Chord View Post
I'm really trying to plan out my synthesis journey, in musical goal type of terms and desk space.

I've got an OB-6, and a Korg ARP Odyssey FSQ on the way with an SQ-1 sequencer... I was thinking of snagging a Roland System-500 used that'd play well with the Odyssey and SQ-1 sequencer. Then I've got the Moog Matriarch, Prophet 6, and UDO Super 6 on the horizon... Something inside tells me nothing I want is wrong, but at the same time it's hard to pull some of these triggers. I think for now I'll continue learning the OB-6 from the inside out and maybe get the expander + P6 at the same time if I decide to.

Again, just looking for what I want currently even though I've got it somewhat planned out... Right now OB-6 and ARP Odyssey are all I've got synth wise. Roland System-500 or P6 might be next. Basically, what I've determined, is there's no going wrong really and I'll have all my grounds covered, from VCO poly, to VCO mono, and DCO poly to a completed modular environment that plays nicely with a sequencer I've already got and the Matriarch...

The real question is what do I buy today before midnight... You decide! On tonight's episode of F My Wallet!
You might think about getting a more powerful sequencer to go with all these synth's that you can write complicated sequences with.
Old 4th July 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
I will be honest, BX oberhousen vst, and Repro 1 and 5 absolutly made me get rid of the ob6, and my prophets, i think repro sounds more like a rev 3 or rev 2 prophet than any of the new DSI synths do. All for a fraction of the price..

DF
Yes it's supposed to, it's a copy..
Old 4th July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
You might think about getting a more powerful sequencer to go with all these synth's that you can write complicated sequences with.
I can't even tell you the last time I've used a sequencer since getting rid of my Elektron gear. I play everything live to a click track and overdub.
Old 4th July 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can't even tell you the last time I've used a sequencer since getting rid of my Elektron gear. I play everything live to a click track and overdub.
Oh ok.. That's cool!
Old 4th July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Oh ok.. That's cool!
In regards to the VSTs being a copy, the funny part is Diva sounds better than the ones listed... I'm not really into VSTs but I just tried The Legend by Synapse for the Model D... it just reinforced that I want a real Model D.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

I’d get the System 500 before you get the Prophet 6. It’s just going to give you another type of thing, where the Prophet 6 is a different flavor of the same type of thing.
Old 4th July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
I’d get the System 500 before you get the Prophet 6. It’s just going to give you another type of thing, where the Prophet 6 is a different flavor of the same type of thing.
Yea you're right. Prophet 6 is on my list but farther down now.

I suddenly desire a Model D Reissue. Going to do my best to get one and then leave the internet for a long time as I save up for the UDO Super 6...
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yea you're right. Prophet 6 is on my list but farther down now.

I suddenly desire a Model D Reissue. Going to do my best to get one and then leave the internet for a long time as I save up for the UDO Super 6...
Good luck. You know you’re going to miss us and come running back for the chitchat, and then, we have you.
Old 4th July 2019
Deleted b7a9c8d
Quote:
Good luck. You know you’re going to miss us and come running back for the chitchat, and then, we have you.
I'll upload periodic pictures, like people do with Facebook when they're on vacation. Except it'll just be me... In my room... With the D...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Has anyone had luck remedying a constant and consistently flat P6? I've tried every kind of troubleshooting including resetting the calibration data, and nothing works. I could play C4 (or any other note) 100 times and not once will it be actually right on the mark. It is always flat and if it stays on for an extended time (multiple hours) it just goes wildly out of tune eventually.

I've gone back and forth with Sequential support on this and twice they've told me this is normal of vco synths after I sent them audio and images of it being flat. This is far from my first synth so I know this is just not true. I have a bunch of synths hooked up, including a number of analogue vco's, and the P6 is literally the only one incapable of playing a perfectly in tune note in its default state. I don't expect it to be rock solid like a dco synth, but I also don't want it to always play flat. To make it usable I need to constantly adjust master tune in settings and then detune osc 2 to compensate since osc 1 goes flat more than 2.

I've finally resorted to recording a video to show exactly what's going on, but at this point I'm jut ready to sell it and never buy Sequential again. Video below is an init patch after calibration and being on for about 20 minutes. I really don't know what else to do because they seem dead-set on insisting this is not a defect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0PQggSGhkA
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdhenn View Post

I've finally resorted to recording a video to show exactly what's going on, but at this point I'm jut ready to sell it and never buy Sequential again. Video below is an init patch after calibration and being on for about 20 minutes. I really don't know what else to do because they seem dead-set on insisting this is not a defect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0PQggSGhkA
I watched your video. I don't know what the factory spec is for tuning across the voices, but I noticed a discrepancy of about 7 cents between the highest and lowest, which seems a little high. I also noticed that as you repeatedly play a note, the detuning amount exhibits a pattern that repeats every six notes, as the unit cycles through its voices. IMHO This is likely a different issue from the unit being globally flat by about 11 cents.

I'm curious if you turn down VCO 1 and turn up VCO 2, does it exhibit a similar pattern? Is there as much detuning range between the notes?

I'm sure you've also tried re-calibrating the pitch wheel? And you did the "clear temperature tables" key sequence, followed by a recalibration at the current temperature?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
And you did the "clear temperature tables" key sequence, followed by a recalibration at the current temperature?
What’s the “clear temperature tables” key sequence? I feel this could be a useful step if I’ve perhaps calibrated my oscs / filter once or more prior to letting it warm up...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletinymonkey View Post
What’s the “clear temperature tables” key sequence? I feel this could be a useful step if I’ve perhaps calibrated my oscs / filter once or more prior to letting it warm up...
Hold down “Preset” and press #3 to clear the tuning tables, but keep in mind the tables hold tuning information at various temperatures. You’ll need to calibrate several times at different temperatures to get the synth back in tune.

Calibrating before the synth is warmed up is encouraged. That adds another data set to the tuning tables and allows it to play in tune sooner after powering up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search